Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Invented, 1st produced or credited to Accrington! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/invented-1st-produced-or-credited-to-accrington-51116.html)

gdm27 03-01-2010 16:15

Invented, 1st produced or credited to Accrington!

Did I just read on a thread that Accy was the 1st place that paper bags were used??? Copy righted etc. Was the colour Khaki invented at the Calico works as well?? Anything else out there. Yes I know there is Google!!! :o

Retlaw 03-01-2010 17:04

Re: Invented, 1st produced or credited to Accrington!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 774906)
Did I just read on a thread that Accy was the 1st place that paper bags were used??? Copy righted etc. Was the colour Khaki invented at the Calico works as well?? Anything else out there. Yes I know there is Google!!! :o

Its a lie, the Russians claim to have invented every thing, and the Septics deny that and say they invented every thing.
Any one remember Jeremy Clarkson in Septic land with a billboard showing all the things the Septics claim to have invented but were invented over here.

Retlaw.

gdm27 03-01-2010 17:38

My Dad once told me that he had invented the question mark???

MargaretR 03-01-2010 18:14

What is the difference between an invention and a discovery?
Many inventions are the re-discovery of ancient technology.
Believe it or not - it has now been found that the ancient egyptians used batteries and electric lighting

Retlaw 03-01-2010 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 774985)
What is the difference between an invention and a discovery?
Many inventions are the re-discovery of ancient technology.
Believe it or not - it has now been found that the ancient egyptians used batteries and electric lighting

Items have been discovered in ancient Egyptian relics that are similar to a LeClanche cell, but as to whether the Egyptians did actualy produce electricity or have electric lighting has never been proved.

Retlaw.

Neil 03-01-2010 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 775018)
... has never been proved.

Margaret does not need proof, she prefers here say and the ultra accurate information she finds on conspiracy websites

Bob Dobson 03-01-2010 20:47

It was my posting which referred to paper bags. A mid-19th century visitor had inferred that an accrington chap had invented them, or perhaps the making of them by machine. he did not say who it was, and to my knowledge this has not been established. It would be uintersting to look at the patents concerning paper bag making which have been applied for. I repeat - nothing has been proved about this.

Atarah 04-01-2010 18:25

TERYLENE

Trade name for a synthetic polyester fibre produced by the chemicals company ICI. It is made by polymerizing ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. Cloth made from Terylene keeps its shape after washing and is hard-wearing.

Terylene was the first wholly synthetic fibre invented in Britain. It was created by the chemist J R Whinfield of Accrington in 1941 at Broad Oak. In 1942 the rights were sold to ICI (DuPont in the USA, where it is called Dacron) and bulk production began in 1955. Since 1970 it has been the most widely produced synthetic fibre, often under the generic name polyester. In 1989 8.4 million tonnes were produced, constituting over 50% of world synthetic fibre output.

Less 04-01-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 774906)
Anything else out there. Yes I know there is Google!!! :o

No Google isn't Credited to Accrington, though something just as interesting for us is:-

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s12353.gif

rtbarton 08-07-2010 08:11

Rileys Chemicals and Colours took out British patent no. 327848 in 1929/30 for "Improvement in the Manufacture of Satin White".

garinda 08-07-2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 775070)
It was my posting which referred to paper bags. A mid-19th century visitor had inferred that an accrington chap had invented them, or perhaps the making of them by machine. he did not say who it was, and to my knowledge this has not been established. It would be uintersting to look at the patents concerning paper bag making which have been applied for. I repeat - nothing has been proved about this.

Not managed to find an Accrington link...yet.

'Although commercial paper bags were first manufactured in Bristol, England, in 1844, Francis Wolle invented the bag- making machine in 1852 in the United States.'