Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   what smells do you remember (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/what-smells-do-you-remember-54339.html)

kikine 06-08-2010 19:21

what smells do you remember

Many smells take me back, Hawthorn Blossom (pothouse lane) freshly baked bread (me Gran) new mown hay (Billy Proctors farm) what are yours?

MargaretR 06-08-2010 19:55

Re: what smells do you remember

The cotton smell in the mill, and which mum and dad brought home on their clothes. It is a long time since I smelt it but would recognise it instantly - nothing else smells like it.

steeljack 06-08-2010 20:11

Dura-glit (sp?) from when I had to clean my Grandmas brasses , used to get 2 bob

Margaret Pilkington 06-08-2010 20:14

Carbolic soap, the smell of wet washing....steamy Monday smell, the smell of steam trains, the smell of school, Mansion polish, grandad's pipe tobacco......I could go on and on.

cashman 06-08-2010 20:59

smell of burnt sand when i worked in the foundry, was that strong only fag i could taste proper was Capstan Full strength:eek:

DaveinGermany 06-08-2010 21:08

Autumn, those cold crisp October/November mornings, mist in the air & all the fallen leaves are damp & crackling, the smell of earth & decay, words can't really express the tang in the air but I'm sure you understand. :)

DaveinGermany 06-08-2010 21:30

Another lingering memory is the smell of sand, pine & sea blowing in off Liverpool bay as we walked the Dogs along Formby beach most Sundays, then travelling home in the car with white eyebrows & chapped lips tasting of salt & of course wet Hounds.

cashman 06-08-2010 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 834604)
Another lingering memory is the smell of sand, pine & sea blowing in off Liverpool bay as we walked the Dogs along Formby beach most Sundays, then travelling home in the car with white eyebrows & chapped lips tasting of salt & of course wet Hounds.

and don't forget the dog crap.:D

Mancie 06-08-2010 22:45

The worst was the smell that sometimes hung around the bottom of Union Road Church end in the 70's .. terrible!... it's strange but the exact same smell was around Blackwall tunnel London up and till only a few years ago...was it chemicals?

cashman 06-08-2010 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 834635)
The worst was the smell that sometimes hung around the bottom of Union Road Church end in the 70's .. terrible!... it's strange but the exact same smell was around Blackwall tunnel London up and till only a few years ago...was it chemicals?

No but many thought it was, it was actually "Ashworths " on bridge st church virtually next door.;)

anzac 06-08-2010 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 834598)
Autumn, those cold crisp October/November mornings, mist in the air & all the fallen leaves are damp & crackling, the smell of earth & decay, words can't really express the tang in the air but I'm sure you understand. :)

Both spring and autumn have the same effect on me. Can't explain it but know when it's here

As for the Cotton Mill smell I am often to be found in the shop at Helmshore Textile Museum smelling at the tea towels they sell made I think by the Lancashire Towel Company :)

davebtelford 07-08-2010 07:54

Cotton definitely - after school (before I got my 'latchkey') I used to sit on mum's box stool at the end of her alley reading comics & waiting for her to finish work at 5.

Cocker Chemicals smell drifting across the fields to Immanuel School, New Lane.

Haymaking - forget the farmer's name (not Billy Proctor - tho' I did know him). The farm accessed from near the top of New Lane by the vicarage. A large family - the McGuires had a house nearby.

Benipete 07-08-2010 08:30

I'll go along with cotton but Velvet weaving had a smell of It's own.I think that was on Victoria St in the 50's.

jaysay 07-08-2010 08:37

When I was a kid walking around New Lane Ossy and the Smell of TCP from Cocker Chemicals also Them smell of newly cut wood in the machine shop

cashman 07-08-2010 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 834672)
I'll go along with cotton but Velvet weaving had a smell of It's own.I think that was on Victoria St in the 50's.

That was Girone Freres pete, got sacked from yon mid 60s.;)