Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Stiched in ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/stiched-in-55072.html)

katex 29-09-2010 21:04

Stiched in ?

Chatting to a friend tonight, we were discussing rather nasty body 'things', etc., that would have been difficult to deal with in years gone by and what we take for granted now (won't mention some .. family site like .. but did open with 'the curse' lol), but she mentioned that she remembered children in her years being stitched into their undergarments for the winter... :confused: Bear in mind she is more than 10 years younger than me.

I had never heard of it, and certainly don't remember any of my contemporaries having this practice inflicted on them.

Did it mean that they would never be able to have a bath ? Confused.

K.S.H 29-09-2010 21:11

Re: Stiched in ?

Me neither, bet it stops thee undies fallin down tho :D

Less 29-09-2010 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 848566)
Chatting to a friend tonight, we were discussing rather nasty body 'things', etc., that would have been difficult to deal with in years gone by and what we take for granted now (won't mention some .. family site like .. but did open with 'the curse' lol), but she mentioned that she remembered children in her years being stitched into their undergarments for the winter... :confused: Bear in mind she is more than 10 years younger than me.

I had never heard of it, and certainly don't remember any of my contemporaries having this practice inflicted on them.

Have heard of it, but not supposed to happen in, so called, modern times.

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2010 21:25

No, never heard of children being stitched into their underwear.

Barrie Yates 29-09-2010 21:49

Pretty certain I can give you a few years Kate, and all the secondary schools in Accrington in my time had a session in the swimming baths in Scaitliffe St every week - besides would never have had the fun that I did if all the girls were stitched up:-)))

cashman 29-09-2010 21:54

Ignore this Kates only bragging she got a friend.:D

Retlaw 29-09-2010 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 848566)

Never mind the bath, what about bog, she's taking the wee wee.
I'm owder than both of you, never heard of it.

Retlaw.

katex 29-09-2010 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 848575)
No, never heard of children being stitched into their underwear.

Oh Margaret ... was relying on you too .. ask Ma.

Did lie a bit .. had sorta' heard of it in some Victorian History book but, as Less said ... not in our lifetime.

My friend (Cashy ... :p) did name a particular poor family from Ossy.

jaysay 30-09-2010 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 848604)
Oh Margaret ... was relying on you too .. ask Ma.

Did lie a bit .. had sorta' heard of it in some Victorian History book but, as Less said ... not in our lifetime.

My friend (Cashy ... :p) did name a particular poor family from Ossy.

From Ossy:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Margaret Pilkington 30-09-2010 11:53

Kate.....I asked Ma...and while she doesn't go back to the Victorian era.......she has never heard of it either.

DaveinGermany 30-09-2010 12:42

I think perhaps it may be some form of urban myth, but it's not one I've heard about, perhaps you misheard your friends comment & she actually said that "Their names were stitched into their undergarments" ? A common enough occurrence even today, as you certainly wouldn't want to be putting on Mucky Magrews Kex by mistake now would you ? :eek: :)

MargaretR 30-09-2010 12:54

I know that camphor blocks were 'stitched in' to vests and liberty bodices in winter, as an attempt to avert colds.

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.

cashman 30-09-2010 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 848682)
I know that camphor blocks were 'stitched in' to vests and liberty bodices in winter, as an attempt to avert colds.

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.

What!!!! in Tudor times?:D:D:D

MargaretR 30-09-2010 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 848684)
What!!!! in Tudor times?:D:D:D

The camphor blocks were in use in our lifetimes (we have a mutual friend who was subjected to it;))

Lost in Cornwall 30-09-2010 13:29

I've heard people talk about kids being stitched into their underwear but don't know anybody it happened to so it could be an urban myth.