Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   My early life in Accy 1946-68 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/my-early-life-in-accy-1946-68-a-59687.html)

clairemims 02-02-2012 09:03

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Lovely photos. Am highly amused that you had a crush on my Dad Sue :) He did used to look very angelic in his choir boy outfit!

Claire

susie123 02-02-2012 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairemims (Post 967201)
Lovely photos. Am highly amused that you had a crush on my Dad Sue :) He did used to look very angelic in his choir boy outfit!

Claire

So you must be Keith Mimnagh's daughter? I remember him well from school and was sorry to hear he is no longer with us. Must be something about choir boys - I have a photo of my current partner of 35 years in the get up as a boy!

My memories of all those school years are strong, hope they are correct too! Those photos really started me off.

Lovely to hear from you Claire, are you still in the Accy area?

clairemims 02-02-2012 11:12

I am :) He is very sadly missed by my Mum and I. I moved to London a year or so after he died and my Mum sold our house on Balmoral Road and moved to a smaller place in Burnley. I'm still fiercely proud of my Accrington roots and coming home later tonight to visit Mum (and my boyfriend who lives in Manchester - he's originally from the South, I'm teaching him how to be Northern).

I've lost hours this morning reading your thread and looking through the photos. Thank you for posting them. He looks a lot like me in the oldest photo! Would love to hear any school tales ;) I believe my Mum finally won him over by stalking him on the walk home from school and asking if he'd like to come over and listen to her Cliff Richard tape...They were both so cool ;) x

susie123 02-02-2012 12:08

Hello again Claire ... so glad you enjoyed my thread, it was fun to write, but beware Accyweb can be addictive!

Good luck with training the boyfriend - my partner is also a southerner, I lived with him in Hants and Wilts till 2000, then we moved to the midlands and now here we are in Morecambe because of his job. Never thought I would end up back in Lancs and I think Richard is still getting over the culture shock!

susie123 02-02-2012 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairemims (Post 967222)
I am :) He is very sadly missed by my Mum and I. I moved to London a year or so after he died and my Mum sold our house on Balmoral Road and moved to a smaller place in Burnley. I'm still fiercely proud of my Accrington roots and coming home later tonight to visit Mum (and my boyfriend who lives in Manchester - he's originally from the South, I'm teaching him how to be Northern).

I've lost hours this morning reading your thread and looking through the photos. Thank you for posting them. He looks a lot like me in the oldest photo! Would love to hear any school tales ;) I believe my Mum finally won him over by stalking him on the walk home from school and asking if he'd like to come over and listen to her Cliff Richard tape...They were both so cool ;) x

Can't help but still picture your dad as a little boy, didn't see any of the Central Prep lot after our last year apart from the few girls who went to the high school with me. Perhaps you have a grown up photo?

xaccy 03-02-2012 19:58

If this was Booth's Bakers shop corner of Marlbourgh Rd and Owen street I thought her name was margeret and had an other brother called Ken if it was margeret she was in the same class as me in St Johns.

MargaretR 03-02-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by xaccy (Post 967673)
If this was Booth's Bakers shop corner of Marlbourgh Rd and Owen street I thought her name was margeret and had an other brother called Ken if it was margeret she was in the same class as me in St Johns.

Margaret was in the same year as me at the High school.
At the last reunion she told me that her brother Ken had died.
I had a few 'dates' with him in my teen years.

cashman 03-02-2012 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by xaccy (Post 967673)

The daughter "Pauline" was in same class as me at St.Johns n her younger Brother "David" was in our kids class.;)

Toe Dancer 19-02-2012 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 943535)
Add my welcome to Susie, it was so interesting although I only remember the coffee in the Blue Dahlia!!.

Talking about dancing schools, does anyone remember Renee Cosgrove's dancing classes, first at Accy Con (downstairs if I remember correctly) and then in her house up Fern Gore.
There was just one boy dancer and I can't for the life in me remember his name. It must have been in about the late 50's

I am a new member to the Accy website and I was surprised to see someone asking about Rene Cosgrove.She was my Mother and we did live at Fairclough Road. My name is Shirley and I now live my Husband of 52 years in Ontario Canada, Rene Cosgrove was her stage name,her married name was Irene Williams. We had dancing classes at many locations around Accrington,The Con and Libral clubs. She passed away in1986

stetrovers 19-02-2012 20:35

where was mr schaffer's cake shop? somewhere around aitkin/owen/haywood road area?
my spelling may be wrong... anybody remember him from the 70's ?

susie123 19-02-2012 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetrovers (Post 971284)
where was mr schaffer's cake shop? somewhere around aitkin/owen/haywood road area?

See posts 1 and 71 on this thread.

Toe Dancer 20-02-2012 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 943535)
Add my welcome to Susie, it was so interesting although I only remember the coffee in the Blue Dahlia!!.

Talking about dancing schools, does anyone remember Renee Cosgrove's dancing classes, first at Accy Con (downstairs if I remember correctly) and then in her house up Fern Gore.
There was just one boy dancer and I can't for the life in me remember his name. It must have been in about the late 50's

I think the boy you refer to was called Norman Burdakin who along with his cousin Joyce used to be studends of my Mothers dancing class Rene Cosgroves School of Dancing They both lived in Clayton-le-moors.

mobertol 20-02-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetrovers (Post 971284)

Yep, he was my Grandad! (Chaffer):D

Made great pies, bread and cakes...

Actually started life as a butcher in Blackpool.

Bob Dobson 20-02-2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 971417)
Yep, he was my Grandad! (Chaffer):D

Made great pies, bread and cakes...

Actually started life as a butcher in Blackpool.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

If he'd been called Shaver, he could have been a barber.

stetrovers 20-02-2012 20:09

cheers 4 that, my mum went to that shop all the way from westwood street, on the other side of whalley road, mr chaffer was always pleasent and baked a marvellous cake yum yum happy memories