Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   How far did you or your parents walk to save money. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/how-far-did-you-or-your-parents-walk-to-save-money-59991.html)

garinda 24-11-2011 22:12

Re: How far did you or your parents walk to save money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 951538)
Used to walk every day from Paddock House to my Grand-parents on Exchange Street with my friend Andrea-we'd sometimes have a dinner from the chippy on the way (very unhealthy) or take sandwiches. Nanny would make us tea and offer cherry buns or Parkin.
We'd watch a programme called The Sullivans set in WW2 in Australia. My sister Denise walked down from Holy Family every day with her friends Catherine and Pauline....a great time was had by all.

Over 20 yrs on -we'd lost touch with Catherine and Pauline but my friend was called out to the suspicious death of a child last year (she's a police Inspectior). When she got there, the severely handicapped child's mother turned out to be Pauline - her son had died in his sleep, he had Cerebral Palsey. Andrea stopped all investigation and signed the necessary foms to save her the anguish of an autopsy and inquiry....

Walking is good excercise....and a great way to free the mind.

Mrs. Jessop!

I knew you reminded me of someone.

Not in The Sullivans, but when she played the nice maths mistress, in Picnic at Hanging Rock.

;):D

cashman 24-11-2011 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 951538)
Used to walk every day from Paddock House to my Grand-parents on Exchange Street with my friend Andrea

Walk? i could spit that far.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Mancie 24-11-2011 23:46

Walked many times from Tophat in Blackburn back to Accy late at night ..the longest walk would be from Waddington up to Rising Bridge after getting kicked off some camp site at midnight..the last few miles up Manchester road were hardship.

mobertol 25-11-2011 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 951544)
Mrs. Jessop!

I knew you reminded me of someone.

Not in The Sullivans, but when she played the nice maths mistress, in Picnic at Hanging Rock.

;):D

Will admit to being a bit of a gossip -but really, if I remind you of her then you remind me of Tony "Rubber face" Wilson:rolleyes:;):D

(He, of course, was far nicer looking than you.....:p)

Alvin the chipmunk 02-12-2011 19:46

It never ceases to amaze me how people chuck away money on taxis, buses et al for journeys that are in reasonable walking distance. Would much rather set off half an hour earlier and walk.

I often walk from Accrington to Higham via Clayton to visit an old school friend. Its underrated!!! :)

garinda 02-12-2011 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 953605)
It never ceases to amaze me how people chuck away money on taxis, buses et al for journeys that are in reasonable walking distance. Would much rather set off half an hour earlier and walk.

I often walk from Accrington to Higham via Clayton to visit an old school friend. Its underrated!!! :)

I miss not being to walk much nowadays.

Most lunchtimes I used to walk just under three miles round the Serpentine, smoke three cigarettes in the Italian gardens in Kensington Gardens, march back to Knightsbridge, go and make a brew, and was easily back at work before my lunch hour was up.

I also really miss walking up on the moors here to.

Still, I can appreciate their beauty by looking at them, even if I can't get up there.

:)

jaysay 03-12-2011 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 953605)

To be honest Alvin when I was in my teens and out on the lash, you had to walk home after nights out because there were just no taxis to be had, around midnight on a Saturday night Blackburn road looked like it was mid-day with people walking home to Church and Ossy after a night out in Accy. I amuses me how young lads and lasses met for a drink in the local then ring a taxi to go down town, it was the bus or shankes in our day, hence the meeting place was the deck, were everybody met up before hitting the pubs or taking the girlfriend to the flicks

groove 03-12-2011 10:39

Groove enjoys walking into town daily from up top end of Willows Lane. He enjoys it. He used to walk to work at Church, the walk woke him up and prepared him for the day. Lots of Groove's younger friends and family won't walk anywhere, this annoys Groove.

susie123 04-12-2011 13:34

=
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 953680)
To be honest Alvin when I was in my teens and out on the lash, you had to walk home after nights out because there were just no taxis to be had, around midnight on a Saturday night Blackburn road looked like it was mid-day with people walking home to Church and Ossy after a night out in Accy. I amuses me how young lads and lasses met for a drink in the local then ring a taxi to go down town, it was the bus or shankes in our day, hence the meeting place was the deck, were everybody met up before hitting the pubs or taking the girlfriend to the flicks

Ah, the deck... happy memories. You and I are the same age so our paths probably crossed down there at some point.

Even though I don't drive I would never think of taking a taxi, even before I got my bus pass. I like the challenge of finding my way on public transport. On my street there are 25 houses, some in flats, and taxis are always coming and going. The users seem mainly to be those on benefit, the only ones with the money, too lazy to walk anywhere or maybe they don't have the nous to read a bus timetable.

jaysay 04-12-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 953961)
=

Ah, the deck... happy memories. You and I are the same age so our paths probably crossed down there at some point.

Even though I don't drive I would never think of taking a taxi, even before I got my bus pass. I like the challenge of finding my way on public transport. On my street there are 25 houses, some in flats, and taxis are always coming and going. The users seem mainly to be those on benefit, the only ones with the money, too lazy to walk anywhere or maybe they don't have the nous to read a bus timetable.

Give um the benefit of the doubt susie:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Less 04-12-2011 18:07

If mine had walked to the Chemist's it would have saved a fortune in child maintenance and regret.

Stevie R 17-12-2011 13:12

I used to walk home from the Cavendish at Blackburn to Helmshore quite a few times,never considered a taxi,but most common walk home was from the Bridge on Church St.,then when the Pickwick opened that was the place.I remember walking home with my brother and reaching Rising Bridge when it started to snow,I mean blizzard,no cars to thumb a lift from,complete whiteout but we both had coats and we made it home.Does anyone take a coat these days?

jaysay 17-12-2011 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 956473)
I used to walk home from the Cavendish at Blackburn to Helmshore quite a few times,never considered a taxi,but most common walk home was from the Bridge on Church St.,then when the Pickwick opened that was the place.I remember walking home with my brother and reaching Rising Bridge when it started to snow,I mean blizzard,no cars to thumb a lift from,complete whiteout but we both had coats and we made it home.Does anyone take a coat these days?

Coat whats one of them, my Daughters never had a coat when they were out on the raz no matter what the weather was like http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/c...s/00020079.gif

Stevie R 17-12-2011 13:59

That`s it Jaysay,nobody wears a coat when they are out on the lash,call me a taxi !!

groove 18-12-2011 10:33

Groove thinks these dollybirds down town in next to nothing and stillettos in this weather look rather hideous.