Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Ellisons Tenement/Fair Ground (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/ellisons-tenement-fair-ground-60578.html)

jaysay 04-02-2012 09:16

Re: Ellisons Tenement/Fair Ground

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 967670)
I remember things that I would rather forget.

That's called hallucination Margaret, where do you get your mushrooms from:rolleyes:

MargaretR 04-02-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 967808)
That's called hallucination Margaret, where do you get your mushrooms from:rolleyes:

Your definition of the word hallucination needs revising, but I'm amazed you spelt it right -well done.

Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?

jaysay 04-02-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 967819)
Your definition of the word hallucination needs revising, but I'm amazed you spelt it right -well done.

Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?

There is nothing wrong with my eyes though, if you want to get really personal, we can go down that road, and there would only be one winner and it wouldn't be you deary;)

MargaretR 04-02-2012 10:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 967826)
There is nothing wrong with my eyes though, if you want to get really personal, we can go down that road, and there would only be one winner and it wouldn't be you deary;)

claytonx 04-02-2012 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 967835)

How can a post remembering the pleasure of the fair, end up with, I should think friends calling each other?

DaveinGermany 04-02-2012 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 967855)
How can a post remembering the pleasure of the fair, end up with, I should think friends calling each other?

Evolution. :rolleyes:

janloot 04-02-2012 12:11

the black pea guy at accrington fair was butterworths, but i had to text someone to find out, sinility setting in

alan7554 04-02-2012 13:47

used to live at number 17 ellison street,happy memories over the bus depot and the fair,but bloody noisy when it was on,

drum66cars 04-02-2012 16:21

I remember the fair just as Claytonx describes it. I lived in Oxford street, and went to night school at Hyndburn Park sec mod. I would walk home after with Eddy Pearson, Eddy now spins the discs on the ROCK&ROLL nights at the Popular Club, it would be 1959 I remember the sheer joy and anticipation walking along Hyndburn road when the fair was on the tenement, the music getting louder and louder the excitement growing, till at last we reached those four small steps up from Hyndburn road and on to the fairground. Bright lights, rock and roll music, the smell of hot dog’s black peas and diesel absolute bliss. Eddy and me still love rock & roll, some things don’t change Trev C.

cashman 04-02-2012 16:56

Had some mates on oxford st, The mulrooneys, woulda been quicker cutting across the back alley, oer ellison st n on the hippodrome back.:D

claytonx 04-02-2012 18:16

I am really glad that people are getting a bit of pleasure looking at the post's which have been put on here.As you get older your memory seems to improve on times gone by,but not on the present.
I can now remember comming off Hyndburn Rd, from the Accrington end onto the fairground, and all along back to the road were large tents, inside one was a boxing ring trying to get the big lads of the town to beat there man for a good lump of cash Sorry to say pride was dented those evenings. Other tents would have(trying to be carefull here)people who were deformed like Joseph Merrick was --The Elephant Man--- or animals born different. This is how it was in those days people were a lot harder and they lived in dificult times. There Ive gone again.

P S Iwould think this was just after the 2nd world war.

Gordon Booth 04-02-2012 19:00

I always wondered-what was on Ellisons Tenement before it became a wasteland of cinders?
So central to the town, it must have had something built on it.
Retlaw to the rescue?

cashman 04-02-2012 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 967944)
I am really glad that people are getting a bit of pleasure looking at the post's which have been put on here.As you get older your memory seems to improve on times gone by,but not on the present.
I can now remember comming off Hyndburn Rd, from the Accrington end onto the fairground, and all along back to the road were large tents, inside one was a boxing ring trying to get the big lads of the town to beat there man for a good lump of cash Sorry to say pride was dented those evenings. Other tents would have(trying to be carefull here)people who were deformed like Joseph Merrick was --The Elephant Man--- or animals born different. This is how it was in those days people were a lot harder and they lived in dificult times. There Ive gone again.

P S Iwould think this was just after the 2nd world war.

Yeh nailed it yon wi the memory business mate, I can remember one tent containing "Hairy Mary, Victim Of The Mau Mau" twas n owd lass wi more body hair than a monkey.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38: They would no doubt get prosecuted now fer that.:D

claytonx 04-02-2012 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 967973)
Yeh nailed it yon wi the memory business mate, I can remember one tent containing "Hairy Mary, Victim Of The Mau Mau" twas n owd lass wi more body hair than a monkey.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38: They would no doubt get prosecuted now fer that.:D

Hey Cashman, they new how to get money out of us gormless and inquisitive people.

cashman 04-02-2012 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 967987)
Hey Cashman, they new how to get money out of us gormless and inquisitive people.

Yep they sure as hell did.:D