Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   The High Spot? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-high-spot-62566.html)

cashman 28-09-2012 22:24

The High Spot?

Was coming through Haslingden today from Bury n the bus stopped a few mins at the stop before the traffic lights, n the grey cells started ticking n seemed to remember a 60s Dance Hall we used to go on Sunday Nights, Think it was just across from that bus stop on left hand side of the street going off the main Road? yeh went up some stairs to get in n was called the "High Spot" anyone remember the place or used to go? Can say if Asky sees this to ask his sis as remember she used to go up yon, in fact a good few of us from accy used to trek up yon every sunday night.

Stevie R 28-09-2012 23:12

Re: The High Spot?

Co-op hall up Deardengate Cashy?

shillelagh 29-09-2012 00:35

you need anzac for this ... she might be able to tell you .....

cashman 29-09-2012 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1019904)
Co-op hall up Deardengate Cashy?

Aint sure Stevie?:confused: But if Deardengate is Directly at Traffic Lights?:confused: Then sure not yon.:confused: Although could be wrong pmsl

wadey 29-09-2012 08:32

If you are at the stop before the lights you are on Manchester Road, the street on your right is Park Street and it will be The Liberal Club on the left a few yards up, it then became a night club, will sort some photos in a min

wadey 29-09-2012 08:34

"The Liberal Club" (Was The Buccaneers Night Club) Park Street, Haslingden, Lancashire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

wadey 29-09-2012 08:36

This was the Co-Op dance hall, entrance down the alley on the right

"best one" Deardengate, Haslingden, Rossendale BB4 5QN | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

cashman 29-09-2012 08:37

Ah cheers Wadey that looks the job n Liberal Club rings a bell, Ask around up yon twas the High Spot before it became the Bucaneers.;)

wadey 29-09-2012 08:39

Looking towards Bury-Manchester I think this is the bus stop you are on about

Haslingden Health Centre, Manchester Road, Haslingden BB4 5SL | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

jaysay 29-09-2012 08:41

I was going to mention the Buccaneers wadey used to go their on a regular basis in the late 70s, but as I remember you didn't go upstairs to it, the dance hall was on the ground floor

cashman 29-09-2012 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1019936)
I was going to mention the Buccaneers wadey used to go their on a regular basis in the late 70s, but as I remember you didn't go upstairs to it, the dance hall was on the ground floor

Am getting more confused am pretty sure twas the Liberal club but was defo upstairs to the High Spot.:confused:

jaysay 29-09-2012 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1019948)
Am getting more confused am pretty sure twas the Liberal club but was defo upstairs to the High Spot.:confused:

I'm just wondering whether the dance hall wasn't down stairs in the cellar, which would mean climbing stairs on the way out, well or being carried up them anyway, mind you its nearly 40 years ago and them little grey cells:eek:

cashman 29-09-2012 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1019949)
I'm just wondering whether the dance hall wasn't down stairs in the cellar, which would mean climbing stairs on the way out, well or being carried up them anyway, mind you its nearly 40 years ago and them little grey cells:eek:

Know what yeh mean,:D I have a couple of vivid memories of the place, but neither are were it was.:D:D

DaveinGermany 29-09-2012 10:46

listening to you owd codgers, shouldn't this be in the "Ancient history" section ? :D

jaysay 29-09-2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1019963)
listening to you owd codgers, shouldn't this be in the "Ancient history" section ? :D

Hoy we can go off folk ya know:D