Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Black &Tan (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/black-and-tan-62903.html)

claytonx 21-11-2012 13:47

Black &Tan

Talking to my son in law the other day the converation got round to all the modern drinks available at pubs and night clubs,I mentioned drinking black and tans at the Derby in Accrington in the 1950s he asked what they were and I cannot remember were they Guiness & OBJ, or OBJ & Jubilee Stout, or something quite different.

susie123 21-11-2012 14:05

Re: Black &Tan

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 1028817)
Talking to my son in law the other day the converation got round to all the modern drinks available at pubs and night clubs,I mentioned drinking black and tans at the Derby in Accrington in the 1950s he asked what they were and I cannot remember were they Guiness & OBJ, or OBJ & Jubilee Stout, or something quite different.

Stout and bitter or pale ale, no particular brand as I remember. I had a boyfriend who used to drink it and I used to think it was terribly macho - not that we used such a word in those days!

cashman 21-11-2012 14:05

Hell thats a drink i'd forgotten, think twas Guinness or OBJ. wi a pale ale? seems susies got a better memory n both of us clayton ex.

susie123 21-11-2012 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1028822)
Hell thats a drink i'd forgotten, think twas Guinness or OBJ. wi a pale ale? seems susies got a better memory n both of us clayton ex.

That's because I didn't drink it!:rolleyes:;)

entwisi 21-11-2012 14:25

I quite like a pint of Golden ( bitter and lager mix) then of course there is Snakebite ( cider and lager ) .

I was also partial to a Thwaites Big Ben with a dark rum chaser..... ( you can only get Big Ben occasionally now when they do a special bottled run )

janloot 21-11-2012 14:47

the derbys, now that place brings back memorys, i saw jasper carrott in the back room there, but for the life in me i cant remember the time, i think black and tan was stout and bitter but i drank brown split in those long gone days, and that was brown ale and bitter, first one was in the brown cow at ossy, i think?it was opposite side to the foxhill, just below the clinic, minds gone, but i,m sure some one will remember got done for drinking under age and that was a brown split, i think the fine was 10 bob,

claytonx 21-11-2012 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1028822)

Just thinking of the Derby was there any more Dutton pubs in Accy ?
(cummon Cashy get those brains going.

Eric 21-11-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 1028828)

Lots of them ... and in Clayton too ... I used to enjoy a pint in the Village Blacksmith on Bayley St.. Come to think of it, working at Dutton's was my first real summer job. We got a beer allowance in the morning and one in the afternoon ... health and safety :rofl38:... god knows how many of us had a glow on by 3:00 pm:alright:

Oh ... and I remember Black and Tan as half best bitter and half Guinness. What were the words in that song about Liverpool? Something like "there's lots of girls with peroxide curls; and the black and tan flows free.?" Anyone remember Black Velvet? Half Guiness and half cider?

Barrie Yates 21-11-2012 16:10

It was one of my favourites - Guinness & Thwaites Bitter for me, but it was OK with Massey's & Lion - the Guinness used to cover up the taste of those.

cashman 21-11-2012 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 1028828)

Yeh Kings Arms on Lee St pretty near, centre. Think the Arden on abbey st was also.? Think the long gone pub up corner of Stanley St n Washington st also duttons was it Stanley arms? must be more but at this point am off out.:)

Barrie Yates 21-11-2012 17:33

Cross Guns in Church?

cashman 21-11-2012 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1028855)
Cross Guns in Church?

Yep that was one.

churchfcrules 21-11-2012 17:44

guiness and bitter, the black and tan didnt only refer to the colour, it was also a referance to the british army in the early part of the century in Ireland!

Diesel = snake bite with blackcurrant
Blastaways = bottle of castaway and bottle of diamond white, tasted like lilt, but knocked you on your ar5e

Eric 21-11-2012 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1028861)
guiness and bitter, the black and tan didnt only refer to the colour, it was also a referance to the british army in the early part of the century in Ireland!

Diesel = snake bite with blackcurrant
Blastaways = bottle of castaway and bottle of diamond white, tasted like lilt, but knocked you on your ar5e

Which century:confused:

churchfcrules 21-11-2012 18:10

20th