Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Wellington Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/wellington-street-63106.html)

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 09:11

Wellington Street

Does anyone remember a cottage, sideways on to Wellington Street, near the Pop Club. Don't know if I have imagined it or not!!

DtheP47 19-12-2012 12:41

Re: Wellington Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1032944)
Does anyone remember a cottage, sideways on to Wellington Street, near the Pop Club. Don't know if I have imagined it or not!!

Used to take papers for Littlefairs at the other end of Wellington Street back when, remember what I guess would now be called cottages all along where the Pop car park is now. Don’t recall a sideways on one? Atarah may know? The opposite end of terrace to the Pop adjoining Church Street is sideways on there but back in the day it was a rather grand house (NoW on a Sunday) sadly a tad dilapidated now.

cashman 19-12-2012 13:01

I also cannot recall a sideways on cottage yon, Retlaw may know the answer think atarahs younger n me.:)

Retlaw 19-12-2012 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1032984)
I also cannot recall a sideways on cottage yon, Retlaw may know the answer think atarahs younger n me.:)

Sorry Cashy can't help on this one, don't remember any sideways cottages, near Pop Club area.

cashman 19-12-2012 13:27

Then its a pretty safe bet Linda yeh imagined it,is my thoughts.:);)

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 15:54

Its old age Cashy. Was there a gap between the Pop club and the terrace leading to Church Street. Sort of a garden. Maybe I am slowly going mad!!!! Lol!

Bob Dobson 19-12-2012 18:35

The library will have some large-scale maps which will show just how the houses were aligned on the street.

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 19:16

Thanks, will take a look next time I am at the library,

susie123 19-12-2012 19:21

1 Attachment(s)
Might find it on this map. You'll need to keep clicking on it to enlarge it.

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 20:43

Thanks for te map Susie. There does look to be a gap at the end of the terrace coming from Church Street. Cant get it out of my head that there was a house set back somewhere on Wellington Street!!!

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2012 20:49

There is a house that is set back and butted up to the main terrace of houses on Wellington street....but it is opposite the Pals centre.
I don't know if this is the one you are thinking of.
If I am out and baout tomorrow I will try to get a pic for you and see if this is the one......at least it might put your mind at rest.

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2012 20:52

Years and years ago(over 50 years) I had a friend called Margaret Duncombe...her parents had a TV(repair) shop across the road from this house. I always wanted to live in this corner house....just so that I could play out more with my friend.

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 20:52

Thank you Margaret. That would be great. I lived on Belfield Road for 20 years, when it was a nice place to live, and thats where my memory is coming from.

lindashanks2 19-12-2012 20:54

I knew Margaret Duncombe too. I know the house you mean too. When I was a kid The Walkers lived there, Mrs Walker used to run ances at St James school on a Friday. The house I mean was around the middle of Wellington Street.

Bob Dobson 19-12-2012 21:20

Where's that bloody Atarah when she's wanted???

Retlaw 19-12-2012 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1033075)
Years and years ago(over 50 years) I had a friend called Margaret Duncombe...her parents had a TV(repair) shop across the road from this house. I always wanted to live in this corner house....just so that I could play out more with my friend.

I remember a TV repair shop on Welly Bob St, but it was on the corner with Cotton St, used to get resistors & capacitors from him for my experiments, some body is in the process of doing it up, they were fitting new double glazing yesterday.
The place where they built the new Pop Club is about a third of the way along Welly Bob St, from Church St End, the 1909 map shows some spare land about there., facing the end of Napier St.

cashman 19-12-2012 22:21

I can also remember the house corner of cotton st that was a tv repair place, never actually used it, but was told he was a good un n reasonable, But tellys were heavy n cars non existent to me back then.

ossy kid 19-12-2012 23:02

I used to live on Nelson/Napier St and seem to remember a cottage near where the Pop is, unless I'm loosing my marbles too! That was back in the 50s.

cashman 19-12-2012 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1033103)
I used to live on Nelson/Napier St and seem to remember a cottage near where the Pop is, unless I'm loosing my marbles too! That was back in the 50s.

Was it sideways on? am sure it had gone in mid 60s when i used to go pop club.:)

Margaret Pilkington 20-12-2012 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1033093)
I remember a TV repair shop on Welly Bob St, but it was on the corner with Cotton St, used to get resistors & capacitors from him for my experiments, some body is in the process of doing it up, they were fitting new double glazing yesterday.
The place where they built the new Pop Club is about a third of the way along Welly Bob St, from Church St End, the 1909 map shows some spare land about there., facing the end of Napier St.

Yes Retlaw, I know where the Pop club is(not being fly here), but just mentioned this house because it isn't facing the same direction of the other houses on Wellington St......it could be considered sideways on.
I lived up in that region for the first 19 years of my life, so I thought I knew it pretty well....can't say that I remember any other dwelling place that was sideways on.

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 09:58

Thanks Ossy kid. At least Im not the only one now. Maybe we are both losing our marbles!!!!!!

cashman 20-12-2012 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1033144)
Thanks Ossy kid. At least Im not the only one now. Maybe we are both losing our marbles!!!!!!

Or better still you 2 are correct n we all lost ours.:D

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 12:18

You never know.Lol!!

DtheP47 20-12-2012 17:20

Quote:

You got me thinking Lindashanks2...”Thought as much” says the current Mrs P, “You look flushed”” “Well its either that or the Novo virus ” was my witty reply, but I digress. Wellington St, I’ve had a decko at a Ordnance Survey map from 1892 and where Napier Street runs down and sort of across Wellington at the back of the alley overlooking Back Atlas Street and the old Perseverance Mill (now Parker Engineering Ltd). I can see a dwelling a lot smaller than the terraces mapped along Wellington. Maybe that's, your sideways cottage?
Interestingly there also seems to be two or three allotments sited where the Pop’ club now stands as mentioned by Retlaw in his post.
As a bonus to you aerating my grey matter Lindashanks2 I now also remember the little cottages below the road level at the end of Nuttall Street just before it changed to Sykes St continuing up onto Manchester Road by the Hargreaves Arms, now Grants of course. The bedroom windows were level with the pavement and the fronts doors were accessed by going down a flight of stone steps? Thanks for that.

DtheP47 20-12-2012 17:35

Quote:

Of course the small building may well have been the communal outside "lavvy".?.. last ones I recall were behind the houses bottom of South Street onto Nuttall Street.

Retlaw 20-12-2012 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1033209)
You got me thinking Lindashanks2...”Thought as much” says the current Mrs P, “You look flushed”” “Well its either that or the Novo virus ” was my witty reply, but I digress. Wellington St, I’ve had a decko at a Ordnance Survey map from 1892 and where Napier Street runs down and sort of across Wellington at the back of the alley overlooking Back Atlas Street
Do you mean back Wellington St, wev'e never had a back Atlas St in Acc.
and the old Perseverance Mill (now Parker Engineering Ltd).
I can see a dwelling a lot smaller than the terraces mapped along Wellington. Maybe that's, your sideways cottage?
Interestingly there also seems to be two or three allotments sited where the Pop’ club now stands as mentioned by Retlaw in his post.
As a bonus to you aerating my grey matter Lindashanks2 I now also remember the little cottages below the road level at the end of Nuttall Street They were not little cottages, but normal size dwellings demolished in 1966, and Sykes St was demilished in 1934 (now called Spring Gardens), to make way for the new Police Station, which opened in May 1935 just before it changed to Sykes St continuing up onto Manchester Road by the Hargreaves Arms, now Grants of course. The bedroom windows were level with the pavement and the fronts doors were accessed by going down a flight of stone steps? Thanks for that.

Most if not all the above happened long before Linda was born.

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 18:34

I do remember the houses below street level. Used to swing on the railings!

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 18:43

I dont remember a Back Atlas Street or back Wellington Street. I moved to Woodnook in 1952 when I was 3. The image I have in my mind is definitely the bottom of Napier Street. Glad your brain cells are working DtheP47!

ossy kid 20-12-2012 19:12

Was there a butchers shop there also? Or was that on the corner of Napier and Grange St? I know I had to get my grandma a sheep head there every Friday for her tea. I had to clean for her and chop wood while the stinking thing cooked and then put it on a plate for her, I tried to get out before she ate the eyeballs??? She lived to 93? I can see that little cottage now Linda, the cottage was to the right facing towards Cotton St with a garden in front of it and wrought iron railing on a low wall. Or am I dreaming?

Retlaw 20-12-2012 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1033232)
Was there a butchers shop there also? Or was that on the corner of Napier and Grange St? I know I had to get my grandma a sheep head there every Friday for her tea. I had to clean for her and chop wood while the stinking thing cooked and then put it on a plate for her, I tried to get out before she ate the eyeballs??? She lived to 93? I can see that little cottage now Linda, the cottage was to the right facing towards Cotton St with a garden in front of it and wrought iron railing on a low wall. Or am I dreaming?

The only butchers shop I remember in Welly Bob St, was Kemp & Murrays on the corner with Nuttall St, diagonaly opposite Littlefairs.
The premises is still there, but has had several occupants since 1966, the rest of Welly St, from Nuttall St to the top of Church St didn't have any shops, the frontage's didn't lend themselves to such enterprises, they were very much like those from the Pop Club to Church St, before they were demolished.

Atarah 20-12-2012 19:43

Here I am, and yes, there indeed WAS a sideways cottage with a garden infront of it. This was my area of town when I was growing up, as was DtheP47. It was known as Poplar Cottage I believe, and so thats why the club is so named. I think the lady who last lived there was a Miss Rushton, who attended Christ Church. I just have a vague memory of her.

Atarah 20-12-2012 19:55

or ... it may have been known as Wellington Cottage. Its such a long time ago, but .. I will try and find out, but, it certainly existed. I am thinking she was maybe Miss Rishton, rather than Rushton. The house I seem to recall had a porchway and the whole of the frontage of the house faced down the length of Wellington Street, in the direction of the police station. So image the windows and doors etc on the gable end of the Pop Club as you know it now.

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 20:26

Thank you so much Atarah. I am so glad I am not going mad. You have described it perfectly. Wish there was a phot to see. Now that you mention it, I think it was called Wellington Cottage. Thanks aain.

lindashanks2 20-12-2012 20:27

Cant spell. Again!!

Retlaw 20-12-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1033240)
Here I am, and yes, there indeed WAS a sideways cottage with a garden infront of it. This was my area of town when I was growing up, as was DtheP47. It was known as Poplar Cottage I believe, and so thats why the club is so named. I think the lady who last lived there was a Miss Rushton, who attended Christ Church. I just have a vague memory of her.

Hi Atarah.
The Poplar Club was in existence long before then, they have a WW1 Roll of Honour, so it could have been your Welly Bob Cottage.
What we need is some photos, what have you got in your collection.

ossy kid 20-12-2012 21:53

Well done Atarah, good memory. There were in fact both Poplar Cottage and Wellington Cottage next door to each other at # 140 Wellington St in the 1881 census.

DtheP47 20-12-2012 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1033230)
I dont remember a Back Atlas Street or back Wellington Street. I moved to Woodnook in 1952 when I was 3. The image I have in my mind is definitely the bottom of Napier Street. Glad your brain cells are working DtheP47!

Nooo it's my mistake back Wellington Street it was.....blame it on jetlag...

DtheP47 21-12-2012 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1033232)

Yes it was Tommy Murray's on the corner of Napier and Grange that then moved to where Retlaw says.... Derek Somebody worked for Tommy took it on. Derek ??? red haired chap ?? eh Atarah?

DtheP47 21-12-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1033229)
I do remember the houses below street level. Used to swing on the railings!

Yes but did you ever lick toffee off the pipe in the back outside Stockley’s factory on Cotton Street. “Euuuggh” says the current Mrs P. It was a black vertical pipe running down the wall from the upper floor terminating at a screwed blanking plug just above head high and this brown unctuous stuff dripped from sometimes
Colin Rawnsley used to tell us it was pure toffee and Eric Bannister fell for it every time. I used to tell my sisters it was a toffee fountain. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight, it was where the molasses were piped into the factory but then again maybe it was a waste product discharge. Double Euuuuggs from Mrs P ....Tasted OK and although some on here would disagree it had no apparent long term effects. :-7
More confessions about Stockleys later, I just need to check if the statute of limitations can be invoked.

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2012 15:34

My brothers used to do that,(lick the end of the pipe at Toffee Hodgsons) but I thought it was disgusting.
I'm with the other Mrs P here.

lindashanks2 21-12-2012 15:43

I only did that once. Yuk. We used to play round the big chimney and sometimes they would come out from Stockleys and give us broken sweets. Those were the days.

cashman 21-12-2012 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1033391)
Yes but did you ever lick toffee off the pipe in the back outside Stockley’s factory on Cotton Street. “Euuuggh” says the current Mrs P. It was a black vertical pipe running down the wall from the upper floor terminating at a screwed blanking plug just above head high and this brown unctuous stuff dripped from sometimes
Colin Rawnsley used to tell us it was pure toffee and Eric Bannister fell for it every time. I used to tell my sisters it was a toffee fountain. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight, it was where the molasses were piped into the factory but then again maybe it was a waste product discharge. Double Euuuuggs from Mrs P ....Tasted OK and although some on here would disagree it had no apparent long term effects. :-7
More confessions about Stockleys later, I just need to check if the statute of limitations can be invoked.

Would that be the Eric Bannister who is early 60s? n stands wi me up the Stanley.:D

DtheP47 23-12-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1033414)
Would that be the Eric Bannister who is early 60s? n stands wi me up the Stanley.:D

The very one Mr C :cool: As a lad we just called him "Banni" he aquired the nickname "the Beast" when he started seving his time, I think at Clayton Goodfellows in Blackburn. Never did know why he got that nickname?

pompeylass 23-12-2012 10:44

That map is fascinating! Is there any date for the map?

My grandma and grandad Southworth lived on Grange Lane opposite the Perseverance Mill and great-grandad Southworth had a Tripe-dressing shop on Cotton Street and also ran a Tripe Stall in the Market Hall.

That 'Football Ground' at the bottom of Robert Nuttall Street, could it be where the original 'Accrington FC' played when they became founder member's of the Football League? According to my husband, who has a book of the history of the club, they first played at Wood Nook.

Atarah 23-12-2012 11:00

Hi, hey, I just love to know where the descendants of some of our famous market folk are! Southworths tripe stall! A gem in our history! Somewhere I have the most amazing newspapers cutting about the Southworths tripe stall and it even shows a Mr Southworth - think the article is from the early 1960's, I will search hard to find it for you! It could even be your rellie on the photo!

susie123 23-12-2012 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 1033701)

My grandma and grandad Southworth lived on Grange Lane opposite the Perseverance Mill and great-grandad Southworth had a Tripe-dressing shop on Cotton Street and also ran a Tripe Stall in the Market Hall.

That 'Football Ground' at the bottom of Robert Nuttall Street, could it be where the original 'Accrington FC' played when they became founder member's of the Football League? According to my husband, who has a book of the history of the club, they first played at Wood Nook.

If you mean the map in post 9 it's 1890. There are more here:

Lancashire County Council: Environment Directorate: Old Maps

cashman 23-12-2012 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1033691)
The very one Mr C :cool: As a lad we just called him "Banni" he aquired the nickname "the Beast" when he started seving his time, I think at Clayton Goodfellows in Blackburn. Never did know why he got that nickname?

Never heard that un before, will ask him on way to Bradford Boxing Day.:)

Retlaw 23-12-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 1033701)

Thomas Henry Southworth
Pte. 20949. 11th East Lancs.
Enlisted 8-June-1915, age 27, occupation Tripe Dresser,
next of kin Hannah Southworth (wife) 25 Grange Lane, Accrington.
Three Children, Alice, Doris, & John Thomas

Discharged 5-01-1917, ill health

Atarah 23-12-2012 11:53

Wellington Street

1 Attachment(s)
This is for you DtheP47 - to remind you of your youth.
Merry Xmas

Margaret Pilkington 23-12-2012 12:19

That brought some memories back for me too.
I used to walk past this papershop on my way to PeelPark school......used to linger there to look at the goodies in the window..especially at Christmas time.
I once saved my bus fares and bought my Mum a gold coloured brooch for Christmas......it was nine shilling and sixpence.
She put it on her best coat...her going to mass coat.

pompeylass 23-12-2012 12:29

Aye! That's the one, Retlaw.

His ill-health was chronic arthritis.

Auntie Alice was the eldest, then come Doris, Thomas, Jack, Ellen (Nellie), Frank and then my mum, Edna, the youngest. He might have had chronic arthritis but he managed to beget four more children.

It would be great to see what you could come up with, Atarah. Grandad Southworth was too ill to run the stall in the Market Hall so he and another brother sold their shares to the remaining brother.

Sheila and Barry

Retlaw 23-12-2012 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 1033724)
Aye! That's the one, Retlaw.

His ill-health was chronic arthritis.
That was not the reason he was discharged.
Auntie Alice was the eldest, then come Doris, Thomas, Jack, Ellen (Nellie), Frank and then my mum, Edna, the youngest. He might have had chronic arthritis but he managed to beget four more children.

It would be great to see what you could come up with, Atarah. Grandad Southworth was too ill to run the stall in the Market Hall so he and another brother sold their shares to the remaining brother.

Sheila and Barry

Not all his records have survived.

Atarah 23-12-2012 14:03

Wellington Street

Hi! Instead of cleaning for Xmas, I have been searching for the Southworth article! tee hee. But, I HAVE found it!
Its from the Observer and is actually from 1984, I will pm you about it . I will start another thread, then the tripe story does not overlap with this Wellington St thread.

hassy rvr 23-12-2012 14:05

Hi Susie are you cousin to Margaret (nee Southworth) lived on Barnes St we played together as children,her mum ran tripe stall in Hassy for years.

susie123 23-12-2012 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hassy rvr (Post 1033747)
Hi Susie are you cousin to Margaret (nee Southworth) lived on Barnes St we played together as children,her mum ran tripe stall in Hassy for years.

Think you mean Sheila not Susie.

pompeylass 23-12-2012 15:23

Sorry Hassy but I have no recollection of a 'Margaret' on my Southworth side, but I'm hoping to make a visit in March when I'll have a chance to do some research at Accy Library.

Thanks, Susie, for the maps. They're really great. If the date is 1890 of that map, then that football ground must be where the original Accrington FC played in 1888 when the Football League started.

Sheila and Barry

DtheP47 23-12-2012 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1033718)
This is for you DtheP47 - to remind you of your youth.
Merry Xmas

Thanks Atarah ..Seasons Greetings to You and yours too..:drunk:

Southworths ? any connection to the Southworths who ran the Post Office on Nuttall Street. Did I see the lady's obit' in the Observer recently?

hassy rvr 23-12-2012 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1033748)
Think you mean Sheila not Susie.

Sorry yes realised after posting.

ossy kid 24-12-2012 18:52

For Margaret, Linda and June, I lived on the corner of Nelson St and Napier St through the early 50s and walked to St Annes via Wellington St. I used to call on an old chap on the corner of South St and Wellington, I called him owd Jack and visited him every day as did my sisters and many other kids, would be frowned on today, he was quite a character who made a mean brew. Looking back I,m guessing he would have been in his 70s. Just wondered if you ever met him.

Atarah 24-12-2012 20:04

Wellington Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1033989)
I used to call on an old chap on the corner of South St and Wellingtont, I called him owd Jack and visited him every day as did my sisters and many other kids, would be frowned on today, he was quite a character who made a mean brew. Looking back I,m guessing he would have been in his 70s. Just wondered if you ever met him.

Hi you must mean what I call the bottom part of South Street, if you mention it being the corner of Wellington Street. Really cant think who you mean. I lived at the top end of South Street, nr Trevor Cunliffe who played as a drummer in a group, and near David Pickup and his family. I always remember a rather "rough" family who lived between Littlefairs newsagents and what must be the corner you are describing. They were rather "loud" and one of their sayings was "as ti shut doooer?" Funnily enough I can still recognise the family all these years later. My first true love was also a paperboy at Littlefairs, he and his brothers (the Hymes family) were all part of my younger life, meeting them outside the shop and walking with them to school, me to the Accrington High School for Girls and they to Hyndburn Park. Later, when we had all become proper pals, going to the Youth Club with them on a Friday night at Royds Street, playing table tennis and having lovely, innocent, nights out together.

ossy kid 24-12-2012 22:37

Interesting Atarah. It was the other corner, if you stand on Wellington St, facing South St. the corner on the right.

Shaz61 15-11-2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1033076)
Thank you Margaret. That would be great. I lived on Belfield Road for 20 years, when it was a nice place to live, and thats where my memory is coming from.

Do you remember tha Baileys on bellfield rd,and a little boy drowned in the lodge must have been 67 or 68.We lived on Royds st opposite Marys shop.regards Shaz...

hilleluk 16-12-2013 14:01

Hi, Annie, Tommy & Elsie Southworth were my Great Aunts & Uncle, if you still have these pictures I would be very interested in seeing them? Many Thanks Bea

Shaz61 08-08-2016 10:43

Anybody help me , with the family which lived on 130 wellington st in 1965.