Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Ice lollies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/ice-lollies-63722.html)

susie123 05-03-2013 17:49

Ice lollies

Today I discovered three small Tetrapak boxes of Vimto at the back of the cupboard. I've put one in the freezer to make an ice lolly and it set me thinking.

When I was a teenager we used to congregate at Stanton's cafe on Whalley Road near the railway brdge on a Sunday afternoon. They used to make their own ice lollies and my favourite was the Vimto one - suck all the Vimto out and leave a lump of ice!

There was also the Jubbly - a large tetrahedral pack of orange drink which made an enormous lolly when frozen. Usually the packaging disintegrated before you were about half way through.

Never been a fan of commercial ice lollies but these two were lovely.

Faded DELIGHTS

Margaret Pilkington 05-03-2013 19:34

Re: Ice lollies

I am not fond of either ice cream or ice lollies.
It wasn't always so....we used to make ice lollies on our bedroom window sill - on the inside...and ate them like they were nectar of the gods.

davemac 05-03-2013 19:46

I used to love lollies, a shop where I lived at the time made her own lollies in metal tubes, when you wanted one she would rub the metal sleeve between her hands to get it out I can still remember the noise her wedding ring made as it hit the tube on each roll through her hands. Now I can't eat anything on a stick.
My bestas favourite was a Mivvi, but you had to save up your spends for one of those

MargaretR 05-03-2013 20:18

We had a quiz about lollies
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...uiz-59631.html

cashman 05-03-2013 20:37

Jubblys n mambos were my favourites, always lasted from the shop on Burnley Rd to Gamblers Caves.:D

Margaret Pilkington 05-03-2013 20:48

I used to like a 'Pendleton's Twicer'......bought from Mc Cartneys selling out shop on Nuttall street in Accrington.
They weren't big, but they were good!

Michael1954 06-03-2013 03:17

I bought my lollies at Bridge's sweet shop on Blackburn Road in Great Harwood. They made their own. He always wore a jacket and tie in the shop and his wife was also smartly dressed.

sm_counsell 06-03-2013 08:24

I used to buy mine from the sweet shop that used to be at the bottom of New Lane ( near the Rose and Crown in Ossie) Can't remember the name
If you found a star on your lolly stick, you could go back and get a free lolly)

jaysay 06-03-2013 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1045204)
I used to like a 'Pendleton's Twice'......bought from Mc Cartneys selling out shop on Nuttall street in Accrington.
They weren't big, but they were good!

Nothing could be nicer than a pendleton's twicer, ice cream with a lolly each end:D

jaysay 06-03-2013 08:35

When I was at St Mary's Ossy in the 50s there was a little corner sweetshop across from the Pickups arms on Moscow Mill Street where we got frozen Mambos and Jubblies:)

Judith Addison 07-03-2013 00:25

If you walked down to Accrington from the High School there was a little shop in Westwood Street that sold penny lollies. The best had to be Laycocks' in Oswaldtwistle. Mr. & Mrs. Laycock lived opposite St. Paul's Church on Catlow Hall Street. Mr. Laycock used to go up to Commercial Street every day with a little cream-coloured hand-cart to get the ice cream. Mrs. Laycock sold the ice cream and lollies from a counter inside the front door of the house. There were ice cream sandwiches for sixpence - the wafers were double ones with a thin layer of jam inside. The penny lollies were various fruit flavours which Mrs. Laycock used to rhyme off. But one was just "green" - she must not have known the flavour! Mr. & Mrs. Laycock always looked absolutely filthy and would never have passed a food hygiene inspection these days! But the ice cream and lollies were wonderful and we never came to any harm!

Wynonie Harris 07-03-2013 15:56

Used to love homemade lollies from Pennocks on the corner of Richmond and Higher Antley Streets. They had a huge cat which was reputedly in the Guinness Book of Records on account of its size...but somebody might have been pulling my leg about that one! ;)

jaysay 07-03-2013 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 1045368)
If you walked down to Accrington from the High School there was a little shop in Westwood Street that sold penny lollies. The best had to be Laycocks' in Oswaldtwistle. Mr. & Mrs. Laycock lived opposite St. Paul's Church on Catlow Hall Street. Mr. Laycock used to go up to Commercial Street every day with a little cream-coloured hand-cart to get the ice cream. Mrs. Laycock sold the ice cream and lollies from a counter inside the front door of the house. There were ice cream sandwiches for sixpence - the wafers were double ones with a thin layer of jam inside. The penny lollies were various fruit flavours which Mrs. Laycock used to rhyme off. But one was just "green" - she must not have known the flavour! Mr. & Mrs. Laycock always looked absolutely filthy and would never have passed a food hygiene inspection these days! But the ice cream and lollies were wonderful and we never came to any harm!

Used to call in Mrs. Laycocks many a time going up Rhyddings Park, in fact it was a toss up in those days who had the best icecream Mrs. Laycock or Moxhams near the town hall, Edmund used to make his own icecream, watched him many a time using the machine in the outhouse

sm_counsell 07-03-2013 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 1045368)

Judith, have sent you a pm

Tesco Rambler 07-03-2013 23:45

I know its a far cry from ice lollies but I really miss the small corner shop type bakeries that use to exist two or three to each street. I remember the one near White's Garage on Burnley Road (although the shop was one street back from Burnley Road on the same street as Stan George's newsagents. There was nothing much in the shop except home made pies, bread and cakes. I used to love the meat pies. Were there ever such meat pies? Superb crust and such tasty liquid jelly when you bit into it, rolling juices down your chin, and the meat, oh, no nonsense wholesome tasty meat. Oh to have those days again!