Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Tippler toilets (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/tippler-toilets-65388.html)

DtheP47 04-12-2013 09:36

Tippler toilets

Breaktime office banter in the soft South and nobody here had heard of Tippler Toilets. They took some convincing until I found this link on the Ramsbottom Heritage site

New Page 1

Bob Dobson 04-12-2013 09:45

Re: Tippler toilets

Have they heard of 'thunderboxes' ?

MargaretR 04-12-2013 10:27

..and garderobes
Garderobe

Gordon Booth 04-12-2013 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1086307)
Breaktime office banter in the soft South and nobody here had heard of Tippler Toilets. They took some convincing until I found this link on the Ramsbottom Heritage site

New Page 1

So when we had moved on to tipplers they were still emptying their potties out of the upstairs windows onto passers by? Or nipping round the back to use the pit loo.

Poor devils, glad you're educating them.

Gremlin 04-12-2013 10:37

I was the works engineer at Ducketts of Burnley in the early 60's but they had ceased to make the tipplers by then, there were a few old bits and pieces in an out building there.
The main product was earthenware sewer pipes and the old gents urinals which were made by slicing a large pipe down the middle and hand shaping it before glazing it white.

DtheP47 04-12-2013 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1086309)
Have they heard of 'thunderboxes' ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1086311)
..and garderobes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1086312)
So when we had moved on to tipplers they were still emptying their potties out of the upstairs windows onto passers by? Or nipping round the back to use the pit loo.

Poor devils, glad you're educating them.

I am not telling em' yet that back in the early 50's when visiting my maternal Great Grandmother up in Barley Mow, County Durham we had to use an earth privy.
I'll save the graphic description of that until lunchtime ;)

Gordon Booth 04-12-2013 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1086318)
I am not telling em' yet that back in the early 50's when visiting my maternal Great Grandmother up in Barley Mow, County Durham we had to use an earth privy.
I'll save the graphic description of that until lunchtime ;)

Preferably while they're eating!

DtheP47 04-12-2013 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1086319)
Preferably while they're eating!

Precisely GB :cool:

Bob Dobson 04-12-2013 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1086307)

New Page 1

i note that this was posted by D the Pee.

Studio25 04-12-2013 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1086325)
i note that this was posted by D the Pee.

I thought "Tippler" meant it was something to do with this:
http://www.dvdreams.co.uk/webcam/2013-12-04.GIF

cashman 04-12-2013 14:18

Uneducated oiks down yon "D";):D just glad theres someone wi sense to educate the numpties.

DtheP47 04-12-2013 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1086335)
Uneducated oiks down yon "D";):D just glad theres someone wi sense to educate the numpties.

First time I brought some Cissy Green's down here Ol, I think they thought they was some kind of roadkill pie...."ooo whats that shiny stuff on top" said one "Is it fat?" :)

andynlisa 04-12-2013 18:34

I remember our tippler toilet on Stonebridge Lane in the early 70's, it was proper disgusting. In winter it use to freeze up and we used to use long cane sticks to un jam it and then in summer it stunk to high heaven, never again lol.

MargaretR 04-12-2013 18:39

When I was a child we used to spend weekends at a farm in Ingleton with no mains drains - I have used one - it had a double holed wooden board over the short drop to the pile - YUK!

Why seating for two? - it wasn't as though you would need conversation whilst you did it - anyways you can't converse whilst holding your breath.

DtheP47 04-12-2013 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1086366)
When I was a child we used to spend weekends at a farm in Ingleton with no mains drains - I have used one - it had a double holed wooden board over the short drop to the pile - YUK!

Why seating for two? - it wasn't as though you would need conversation whilst you did it - anyways you can't converse whilst holding your breath.

Our caving hostel was at Braida Garth,Kingsdale Margaret, we had a chemical bog but as callow youths who was gonna chip in any beer money for any Elsan Blue? Les in the Marton Arms got first dibs on our brass, & there were times in high summer when whosoever was elected to empty it had to use a demand valve and diving bottle to breathe as he carried it out.