Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2005, 18:40   #1
Junior Member+

first memory!

what is your first memory of accy?
julia arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2005, 19:37   #2
God Member

Re: first memory!

my 5th birthday party in the old McDonalds upstairs bit where it smelled of chicken nuggets and feet eurch!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 21:54   #3
Resident Waffler

My Grandma's house in Sultan Street.

Then after we moved here, Peel Park School.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 09:28   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My first memory of Accy was getting the bus on Saturday mornings with my mum and baby sister (Grego). We would catch the bus in Church to Accy to go to the market. At that age (3-4) I thought that Accy was massive. I remember the round toilets on Union St and the crossing on Broadway with the railings going up the road. I remember going into the back entrance of Woolworths and the massive car park on Union St. I remember being frightened of going into the library because it looked so big, and my mum said that we had to be really quiet or the lady would shout at us.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 11:57   #5
God Member

Going to the pictures on Broadway. I can remember it really clearly - where the box office was, the benches and which unit was down which corridor.

School trips to James St (I think??) swimming baths.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 14:26   #6
God Member

My earliest memory is probably playing hide and seek on the site of the old Foundry on Maudsley St, across from the New Brewery pub, which my nan and Grandad owned.
Old 21-11-2005, 14:50   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
My earliest memory is probably playing hide and seek on the site of the old Foundry on Maudsley St, across from the New Brewery pub, which my nan and Grandad owned.
Long time since either of them were about. Remember them both but did not drink in the New Brewery but my old man did.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 14:52   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Long time since either of them were about.
Not that long ago you cheeky git!!
Old 21-11-2005, 15:20   #9
God Member

My first memory of Accy is of the (old) covered market being built, probably about 1961/62.... I also remember tomorrow's date (November 22nd) in 1963, the assassination of Kennedy. I don't think he ever came to Accy, though.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 15:55   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Not that long ago you cheeky git!!
At the moment last christmas was about or maybe living up here has befuddled my mind.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:45   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
My first memory of Accy is of the (old) covered market being built, probably about 1961/62.... I also remember tomorrow's date (November 22nd) in 1963, the assassination of Kennedy. I don't think he ever came to Accy, though.
what a lucky birth date i have!! lol.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 02:44   #12
Senior Member+

Happy birthday shakermaker although it,s still yesterday here, it must be tomorrow there already??!!
My first memory of Accy, we lived in a confectioners on Nelson St and the smell of fresh bread and custard pies still lingers, even after more than 50 years.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 09:53   #13
Give, give, give member

My first memory of Accy is walking there from Ossy with my Nan. She was pushing my brother in a big coach built pram. I was two and a half, so it must have been the summer of 1967.

We stopped at a cafe on the way there that used to be at Church, on the corner diagonally opposite the Commercial pub. She bought me a lucky bag. As well as various sweets inside it had a big rubber mouse in it, and I wasn't happy so I cried. I was expecting a better toy, or perhaps some jewellery.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 13:53   #14
Resting in peace

First real memory is being in a chip shop in Henry Street, Church, and pulling a lady's earring because it was shiny and dangly. I must have been very small, because I remember I was being carried by my uncle. I can also remember falling into the (very old fashioned) washing machine, thankfully the water had gone only just warm, and being pulled out by my legs by my screaming aunt! I think I must have been a horrible child, but ask Mez, she will probably confirm it!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 01:32   #15

First memory of Accy was my grandma's house in Willows lane, 1941 and being taken for a walk by grandad.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..