Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Help for a stupid techno phobe (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/help-for-a-stupid-techno-phobe-31909.html)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:20

Help for a stupid techno phobe

I have got a pc given from a genuine source; it has windows xp on it already but I keep getting a message saying it's a counterfeit copy ! I have tried to update the tool key ,put the 25 digits in from the label on the back of the pc and it says it's not recognised. What do I do next ? The label on the back looks genuine enough to me.
Plain english please cos i know nothing about these things !

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:28

Re: Help for a stupid techno phobe

Did your genuine source possibly get it from a less genuine source? It sounds like a dodgy copy, but I could be wrong. Entwisi will know more about this sort of thing.

KIPAX 05-07-2007 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 444696)
Entwisi will know more about this sort of thing.

As will a lot of other people.

The XP on there isn't the one that came with the machine.. that simple. You need to install a genuine copy or search google for a workaround :)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:38

Got it from my step dad ,he bought it new. What do we mean by "workaround" ? I told you I was stupid !

entwisi 05-07-2007 11:43

There are some 'genuine' windows license keys that are being identified as dodgy. There is a phone number for Windows activation, If you are absolutely sure of its provinence then ring them and tell them its life history and they should be able to issue with a new number.

You do need to know where your dad bought it from though. If its a large store like PC world etc then you will be fine, if it was some bloke on a market somewhere then probably( but not necessarily) not.

The workaround Kipax mentions is a way that confuses the windows genuine check tool into thinking its legit even if it isn't.

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 444699)
As will a lot of other people.

:D Hello Kipax.

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:50

It's got a "Time " logo on the front and a silver label on the back with the same logo and a serial number. Is this a good thing ? :confused:

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:54

A Time label is never a good thing! (Sorry Lindsay:D, I'll toddle off and leave Kipax and Entwisi to answer sensibly.)

entwisi 05-07-2007 12:01

Did your FIL buy it from Time or from someone else?

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 12:06

I will try and find out !

entwisi 05-07-2007 12:16

If he did then just call Microsoft up and tell them your problem. IF they can't help let us know.

If however he bought it s/h it is probably as Kipax mentions a dodgy copy installed by someone. we can cross this bridge when we come to it.

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 15:31

Cheers chaps !

***Mr D*** 05-07-2007 17:03

Could also of been a discountinued multi licence install maybe.

Even if it is dodgy it doesnt do no harm, effect you PC just the annoyance of being reminded all the time.:)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 19:32

It's been installed by a " friend" so it's dodgy ! i wouldn't mind if was judt the message but i tried to listen to summat on Amazon today and it won't let me install the thing you need to listen to stuff ! Grrrrr.

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 23:06

Don't despair Lindsay - the techno whizzes on here will come up with a solution for you.

entwisi 06-07-2007 06:58

Right, it could just be a mismatch between the license sticker and the key that teh (ex)friend used.

Install this Magical Jelly Bean Software - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.5 then compare teh number it retrieves with the number on your sticker. If they are different, start backing up your stuff ready for a reinstall (it seems the Change broken key in XP is broken). TBH a re-install is "a good thing" as it will clear out a load of crap that accumulates over time. Its just a pain to do.

If they are teh same I would give MS a call and explain that you bought this PC, it has a genuine (Or appears to you to be genuine) sticker but teh number is being flagged as dodgy.

The above are the legal ways of sorting teh problem. If you don't you get a 'very restricted' set of updates from Microdsoft and as you found 'other' stuff won't work. There are iffy ways round this that confuse the genuine advantage tool but as said, these are dodgy and therefore (as I always say) not up for discussion by me on a public forum.

lindsay ormerod 14-07-2007 16:38

It's all sorted and hunky dory now thanks !:Banane07:

Neil 14-07-2007 18:00

How did you sort it out in the end?

Sparkologist 14-07-2007 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 448635)
It's all sorted and hunky dory now thanks !:Banane07:

Well, come on, Lindsay, time to 'fess up. How did you manage to circumvent & fiddle the Microsoft lisence agreement? :rolleyes:

I am intrigued, ' cos i know someone who may have to go through a similar process. :D

lindsay ormerod 14-07-2007 18:57

To be quite honest I haven't a clue ! A "friend" with knowledge of these things came round and did something ; it involved me now having "avast!" and summat to do with the key (??) . He also put me a virus scanner on too ! So it's all good now !