Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   security problems (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/security-problems-54689.html)

Less 30-08-2010 11:49

Re: security problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 841625)
I'm not allowed to post on threads like this, Less says so.....

Pathetic.

Less 30-08-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 841715)
Ya seems okay Margaret, the only thing is I still have to sort out the cock ups which Mcafee caused, which for a computer numpty like me means much hair pulling time:D

You aren't on your own it's worse than a virus sometimes.:)

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

jaysay 30-08-2010 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 841758)
You aren't on your own it's worse than a virus sometimes.:)

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

Thanks Less

Gordon Booth 30-08-2010 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 841758)

Jaysay/less, I just opened this up and Norton gave me a major computer threat warning. Beware, may be a funny but why risk it.
I've just switched from Mcafee to Norton(half price in shops and gets better reviews). Apparently if you uninstall Mcafee it can leave a lot of attachments or something on your computer. A friend of mine who is quite good at these things told me to get revo-uninstaller free on the internet and use this to uninstall Mcafee and anything else as it finds all the bits the normal uninstall misses. I used it and I can't find any traces of Mcafee.

MargaretR 30-08-2010 15:13

My son has an IT degree and works at Manchester UNI
http://directory.manchester.ac.uk/ad...chsn_fn=middle
He advised me to use
Windows Defender and AVG

PS both free

Gordon Booth 30-08-2010 15:36

jaysay, another thought-if you pay for Mcafee by direct debit, don't forget to cancel it on the 'My Account' page or they'll carry on charging you even though you've uninstalled it!

AngleIron 30-08-2010 15:47

MargaretR...... as of September 2009, Windows Defender has been replaced/superceeded by Microsoft Security Essentials. This is also free to download from MSoft.

Less 30-08-2010 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 841779)
My son has an IT degree and works at Manchester UNI
Online directory (The University of Manchester)
He advised me to use
Windows Defender and AVG

PS both free

Never used Windows defender, therefore can't comment, but never ever while I was using AVG(free) did I have a problem Mags.
Thank you, (and your son).

Less 30-08-2010 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 841777)
Jaysay/less, I just opened this up and Norton gave me a major computer threat warning. Beware, may be a funny but why risk it.
I've just switched from Mcafee to Norton(half price in shops and gets better reviews). Apparently if you uninstall Mcafee it can leave a lot of attachments or something on your computer. A friend of mine who is quite good at these things told me to get revo-uninstaller free on the internet and use this to uninstall Mcafee and anything else as it finds all the bits the normal uninstall misses. I used it and I can't find any traces of Mcafee.

Perhaps you need to look a little closer?

Does Norton really have to flag anything that might be a threat to their profits?

If you read the article, it tells you about how norton flags almost any threat to it's existence, and never ever, does a clean un-install.

MargaretR 30-08-2010 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngleIron (Post 841788)
MargaretR...... as of September 2009, Windows Defender has been replaced/superceeded by Microsoft Security Essentials. This is also free to download from MSoft.

I have just checked with Microsoft dowload centre and Windows defender is still in use.
That Microsoft Security Essentials seems to do more than I need because I have AVG installed

Gordon Booth 30-08-2010 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 841798)
Perhaps you need to look a little closer?

Does Norton really have to flag anything that might be a threat to their profits?

If you read the article, it tells you about how norton flags almost any threat to it's existence, and never ever, does a clean un-install.

Less, Mcafee gives the same warning.MAYBE two of the biggest security systems are conning us but I wouldn't risk finding out the hard way.

Less 30-08-2010 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 841807)
Less, Mcafee gives the same warning.MAYBE two of the biggest security systems are conning us but I wouldn't risk finding out the hard way.

Whenever forced to use or replace them, problems.

If however you are happy, please continue to use, I won't call you for it.
:D

AngleIron 30-08-2010 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 841799)
I have just checked with Microsoft dowload centre and Windows defender is still in use.
That Microsoft Security Essentials seems to do more than I need because I have AVG installed

Sorry MargaretR, just tryin' to keep you updated....It's recommended to run seperate antivirus and firewall apps, rather than the windows stuff, and you should be ok with AVG
Myself I run Kaspersky Antivirus and Comodo Firewall (windows firewall turned off) and I also run many different antimalware/spyware apps.
TweakNow RegCleaner is very good and is free.
:):)

jaysay 04-09-2010 11:24

Well everything is fine now, but what a ball ache, first thing I've done is delete Mcafee, now running BullGuard seems to be fine, mind you I've all but got a near new Laptop, returned to factory settings, new power pack, battery and mother board, Dell on site service was excellent

AngleIron 04-09-2010 11:45

Glad to see yer sorted Jaysay :thumbsup: