Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Password recognition (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/password-recognition-65924.html)

MargaretR 25-03-2014 13:33

Password recognition

i am writing this using a laptop because my desktop PC (Win 7) has developed a problem.

I can't get beyond the windows password screen because it doesn't recognise it.

I have checked that caps lock is off. I have used a spare keyboard - no success.

I have explored 'Help' and know about 'password reset discs'
I do not have a password reset disc but I do have a recent system back up on an external hard drive and a memory stick which contains a file named 'userkey.psw' but I dont know how to use it.
Any suggestions?

gpick24 25-03-2014 13:41

Re: Password recognition

There are CD`s you can download to reset the windows password, PC world have this one, not one I`ve used but will probably do the same job.
Download Offline NT Password & Registry Editor | PCWorld

You will need to download and burn to a CD, then boot your PC from that CD and follow the instructions.

MargaretR 25-03-2014 14:10

Thanks for your input.
I do have some blank CDs somewhere, but not having packed or unpacked my house removal boxes myself I am not sure where they are.

I am having a grim day healthwise so might just have to tolerate using this laptop for a few days.

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2014 14:15

Margaret, I can't help you with your current password problem, but just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon.

MargaretR 25-03-2014 16:09

I have messaged my son at work and passed on that link to the download. He will download it for me and install it this weekend.

Thanks for the solution.

hans5ant 28-03-2014 01:55

If that (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor) works for you, you may give AppGeeker a try:

How to Reset Windows 7 Password in 3 Minutes

I know it works up to the Windows Vista family tree but haven't had access to Win7 to try against.

gpick24 28-03-2014 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by hans5ant (Post 1100010)
If that (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor) works for you, you may give AppGeeker a try:

How to Reset Windows 7 Password in 3 Minutes

I know it works up to the Windows Vista family tree but haven't had access to Win7 to try against.

That certainly looks a lot more straight forward than the one I`ve used in the past, no GUI in mine, all done in DOS, but i`ll stick with what I know.
I like what it says part way down that page -
"Tip: Not having a Windows 7 password is a big security concern, so we recommend you configure a new password right away."
yet they are providing a tool to by-pass the password.:rolleyes:
As far as I`m concerned, windows password works to stop people within your own household from being nosey, as far as making your computer secure it`s pretty much useless.

Neil 28-03-2014 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1100030)
That certainly looks a lot more straight forward than the one I`ve used in the past, no GUI in mine, all done in DOS, but i`ll stick with what I know.
I like what it says part way down that page -
"Tip: Not having a Windows 7 password is a big security concern, so we recommend you configure a new password right away."
yet they are providing a tool to by-pass the password.:rolleyes:
As far as I`m concerned, windows password works to stop people within your own household from being nosey, as far as making your computer secure it`s pretty much useless.

It only bypasses the local log on and does nothing if you are a business user on a network so the security is probably good enough

gpick24 28-03-2014 10:28

I think you may be missing my point. I wasn`t trying to start a discussion about who should have what security, I was pointing out the irony that a site that supplies a tool to by-pass the windows log-on password, then goes on to tell you to set a new password because your PC isn`t secure without one. It obviously isn`t secure with one thanks to the password removal tool they are supplying.

vecrra 28-03-2014 13:29

Hi Margaret, Have you tried this way? Go to Control panel in Start menu. Choose User Accounts. The options to set a new (or change) password are listed here. Worked for me. Hope it helps you too.

MargaretR 28-03-2014 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecrra (Post 1100078)
Hi Margaret, Have you tried this way? Go to Control panel in Start menu. Choose User Accounts. The options to set a new (or change) password are listed here. Worked for me. Hope it helps you too.

If only I could get that far.:rolleyes:
I can't get past windows 'sign in' so there is no way I can access Control Panel (or anything else)

Gremlin 28-03-2014 14:20

Have you tried putting in the USB memory stick and pressing F12 when you switch on the PC? Then you get a choice of where to boot from, enter the letter of you USB and then if it boots run the external hard drive and see if the recent system back up will run.
If that fails try entering the letter of the hard drive when you start the PC.

I have done it a few times on different Toshiba PC's using F12, some computers may have a different F key to select or even just hold down key C while the PC starts.

Worth a bash.

MargaretR 28-03-2014 16:35

I will show my son all suggestions folk have provided- I am not capable of clear thinking at the mo, and don't want to worsten the problem by messing with it

Restless 29-03-2014 07:10

Margaret. Do you have documents on your PC you can't lose? If not then if you can't remedy the password problem you can reinstall system. If you have documents but they are not in password protected folders ie my documents or any folder like my documents, my music or stuff on another hard drive in your pc you can boot to Linux and back them up to an external hard drive.

MargaretR 30-03-2014 13:28

My son visited and brought a disc on which he had downloaded
How to Reset Windows 7 Password in 3 Minutes (as suggested by gpick24.)

That download didn't solve the problem. It wouldn't let the password be reset unless the 'full version' was bought.

I don't know how or what he did, but I now have a working desktop.

It took him less than an hour and it was completed by using System Restore. It seems that my user account had vanished.

When I asked what caused it he said he couldn't know for sure - 'just a glitch'.

Thanks for suggestions