Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   The real World (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/the-real-world-72767.html)

taddy 18-04-2022 10:26

The real World

Well it looks as though I am going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the real world of computer technology,on another post I have said that my son in law, an all singing, all dancing computer Geek, (again sorry Ed) is looking to confine my steam driven machine to the (Crossword Solvers Graveyard), ie, six down and four across. Just whether I will be able to get my seventy five year old brain around this new fangled "Bill Gates infernal machine" will be seen in the near future. Wish me luck.

Your's, The Lancashire Luddite. :confused::confused:

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2022 10:34

Re: The real World

Taddy…you do not need luck.
All you need is the desire to not let a whole load of bits of electronic doo-dads beat you…and the will to learn…if your son in law is so well versed…maybe he would give you some help getting used to your new bit of kit….or at least show you how to get on YouTube where you can see how things are done.
Enjoy the new experiences Taddy….you are NEVER too old to learn.

taddy 18-04-2022 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266122)
Taddy…you do not need luck.
All you need is the desire to not let a whole load of bits of electronic doo-dads beat you…and the will to learn…if your son in law is so well versed…maybe he would give you some help getting used to your new bit of kit….or at least show you how to get on YouTube where you can see how things are done.
Enjoy the new experiences Taddy….you are NEVER too old to learn.

I am Learning, only not as fast as some folk but in order to learn you need to be interested, some folk are interested in some things where other folk are interested in other things, I think it used to be called Horses for Courses.

Less 18-04-2022 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266123)
I am Learning, only not as fast as some folk but in order to learn you need to be interested, some folk are interested in some things where other folk are interested in other things, I think it used to be called Horses for Courses.

In the other thread you asked a question:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266100)
what happened on post (27) ? where it says, Quote, "originally posted by Taddy", this was not one of my posts

That said to me that you were interested.

So I explained what the problem was, now you know the answer and how to solve the problem, I hope you will at least try to improve your quoting otherwise all the help and encouragement from Margaret and any others will be have wasted.
Just try that's all I ask.
:enough:

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2022 12:14

Yes…you do have to be interested and you have to find something that fans the flames of that interest..
Baby steps and do not get discouraged…….there is no failure if you keep on trying.

taddy 19-04-2022 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266129)
In the other thread you asked a question:-

That said to me that you were interested.

So I explained what the problem was, now you know the answer and how to solve the problem, I hope you will at least try to improve your quoting otherwise all the help and encouragement from Margaret and any others will be have wasted.
Just try that's all I ask.

Many thanks Less, (genuinely), I am always willing to take notice of folk who know more than I do on a certain subject, I think part of my "problem"? may well be that although my long term memory is very good, I tend to lose track of something that I have only recently learned, I think that the medical definition is (Age) but as long as the old grey matter and the blood pump in my chest carries on and the missus and I stay mobile then I can put up with it.
Thank You and others, who are (trying), to help the not getting any younger, Luddite.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2022 15:14

Taddy, when you practice something time after time, then it becomes second nature.
Learning is not about watching or reading about something…those these things do support learning.
Real learning is based on ‘doing’…..and the more times you do something the more confident you become.
Have the will and the skill will follow.
As you know….bar a few months we are the same age…I try to learn something new every year.
So far brain surgery has eluded me…but only because I can find no willing volunteers. :D

dotti34 20-04-2022 03:26

As we all know, Taddy, the original Luddites destroyed machinery because the use of it threatened their livelihood, and the modern Luddite does not like new technology in general. Congratulations, therefore, on embracing YOUR new technology and being prepared to give it a go - whether a Luddite or not.

Don’t be scared of the new stuff, if you press a wrong key you won’t blow up the world, you won’t even blow up your computer. You also have the advantage of having someone who can help you if you get stuck.

Do what Margaret suggested and tap into YouTube tutorials…ask Mr Google questions that you might have, experiment, and if you tend to easily forget instructions you can always write them down using the good old pen and paper….ha ha ha ha.

Age should not come into it, you are never too old to learn and to give things a go. I enjoy modern technology and I only use my age as an excuse when it suits my purpose to do so. Gets me out of trouble at times. By the way, Taddy, just as a matter of interest (or not) I can give you a few years as, in bingo jargon, I will be two fat ladies in May.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 07:31

Dorothy….age is just a number….and to stay sharp you have to hone the blade.
This is going to sound rude….to hone steel you have to grind it against something hard and unyielding…..problems are not really problems (unless that is how we want to see them) they are opportunities in overalls.
It was C S Lewis who said ‘you are never too old to learn or to have a new dream’.

And it has never been so easy to access learning.

Less 20-04-2022 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266190)

And it has never been so easy to access learning.

Don't forget the pleasurable feeling we all get when, finally it clicks and we whisper to ourselves 'YES, I can do this!'.

dotti34 20-04-2022 07:52

Less, that is so true. It’s a great feeling when you have succeeded.

taddy 20-04-2022 08:05

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1266190]Dorothy….age is just a number….and to stay sharp you have to hone the blade.
This is going to sound rude….to hone steel you have to grind it against something hard and unyielding…..

Ha Ha,I have no doubt that a certain ex squaddie in Germany will have some comment about the something "hard and unyielding",

Less 20-04-2022 08:47

Well, done Taddy, great to see your quoting is improving!;)

Just a few more lessons in HTML4 and you'll be writing your own websites!:D
https://productimages.worldofbooks.com/0764519956.jpg

Or perhaps you'd rather jump straight into advanced class?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266191)
Don't forget the pleasurable feeling we all get when, finally it clicks and we whisper to ourselves 'YES, I can do this!'.

Yes…I can go with that too.
There have been things that when written down, are as clear as mud….but find it on YouTube and it makes all the difference.
And it applies to so many things.
Recently my washing machine was playing up….it would not drain the water out or spin the wet stuff.
I thought it was going to be an expensive repair…or worse, a replacement.
But not one to give up easily….I went on my iPad….found the make and model and found an informative video…..showed me how to drain the machine…..and how to look for the problem….it was a pound coin stuck in the thingymabob.
I removed it….crossed my fingers and tried the machine……wahay…success.
Money saved and pound pocketed ( from other half’s jeans….I never have money in my pocket).

Less 20-04-2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266199)
Yes…I can go with that too.
There have been things that when written down, are as clear as mud….but find it on YouTube and it makes all the difference.
And it applies to so many things.
Recently my washing machine was playing up….it would not drain the water out or spin the wet stuff.
I thought it was going to be an expensive repair…or worse, a replacement.
But not one to give up easily….I went on my iPad….found the make and model and found an informative video…..showed me how to drain the machine…..and how to look for the problem….it was a pound coin stuck in the thingymabob.
I removed it….crossed my fingers and tried the machine……wahay…success.
Money saved and pound pocketed ( from other half’s jeans….I never have money in my pocket).

Yes & no to Utube, if you find good quality assistance both in demonstration & narration it can be excellent, unfortunately there is a fair bit of dross that has to be filtered out to get to the good stuff and how does someone without a clue sort the good from the bad?

P.s. My washer has a credit card stuck in the filter, I can't quite get my fingers to it! It has been there since I washed my wallet.:mad:

taddy 20-04-2022 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266200)

P.s. My washer has a credit card stuck in the filter, I can't quite get my fingers to it! It has been there since I washed my wallet.:mad:

Wash your wallet,I tend to think that some one is having a big "Giraffe", here;);)

Less 20-04-2022 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266201)
Wash your wallet,I tend to think that some one is having a big "Giraffe", here;);)

Absolutely true, left it in my Jeans, did you know leather shrinks? ruined it, on the plus side that forced me to buy a new one that protects your cards from scammers!

taddy 20-04-2022 10:39

I simply wrap my cards in a piece of kitchen foil every time I put them back in my wallet but then again I am that tight I tend to squeak when I walk.

Less 20-04-2022 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266203)
I simply wrap my cards in a piece of kitchen foil every time I put them back in my wallet but then again I am that tight I tend to squeak when I walk.

The foil works exceedingly well on your head as well and boy, is it a fashion statement!

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 11:50

I think you have to use your common sense when judging what is good and perhaps look at the rep and comments from others.
I think it is called ‘you live and learn’.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 11:53

Less, I am glad that I was not the only one who thought that you were yanking our chains…..I did not want to say that I did not believe you….but obviously Taddy had the same thoughts.
Does the washer still work…? If so…how when a pound coin disabled mine?

Less 20-04-2022 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266206)
Less, I am glad that I was not the only one who thought that you were yanking our chains…..I did not want to say that I did not believe you….but obviously Taddy had the same thoughts.
Does the washer still work…? If so…how when a pound coin disabled mine?

The tube leading to the filter is round, the credit card is oblong and flat, fortunately the card is stuck edge on causing no restriction (had it been otherwise I'd have had to disassemble the tube to remove it).
I suppose your pound coin must have come to rest blocking the tube?

Less 20-04-2022 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266205)
I think you have to use your common sense when judging what is good and perhaps look at the rep and comments from others.
I think it is called ‘you live and learn’.

Yes, but if you've followed some wonky instructions and now have your 52" led T.V. in bits over your carpet, when really all it needed was a new 13amp plug, emailing the guy and getting him to say sorry is no real consolation!

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 19:56

Less…the plug would be the very first thing I would check.
There is no way I would attempt to take a 52inch TV to bits.
I know my limitations.
I would get someone who knew what they were doing rather than flying by the seat of my pants….I am a bit scared of electrical things anyway.
My dad was an electrician and he instilled in me a good level of respect.
Thank you for your explanation of my blockage…yes, it was blocking the tube.

DaveinGermany 20-04-2022 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266193)
Ha Ha,I have no doubt that a certain ex squaddie in Germany will have some comment about the something "hard and unyielding",

What you trying to say? Anyway, I've not met much that is hard & unyielding when going up against a lumping great hammer. ;)

taddy 23-04-2022 20:34

[QUOTE=taddy;1266119]Well it looks as though I am going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the real world of computer technology,on another post I have said that my son in law, an all singing, all dancing computer Geek, (again sorry Ed) is looking to confine my steam driven machine to the (Crossword Solvers Graveyard), ie, six down and four across. Just whether I will be able to get my seventy five year old brain around this new fangled "Bill Gates infernal machine" will be seen in the near future. Wish me luck.

It seems that the time is here, My daughter called today and informed me that within the next week or two an all singing, All dancing electrically operated "Bill Gate's" infernal Machine will be installed in the Taddy household, as long as it only operates at a snails gallop then I (may), be able to get the old grey matter to understand it but as Margaret, Less and others have commented, (thank you all), if I don't try then I won't learn. Again, thank you all for the advice and encouragement, when the thing arrives and is up and running then I will only have myself to blame if I cannot hack it as the saying goes.

taddy 23-04-2022 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1266224)
What you trying to say? Anyway, I've not met much that is hard & unyielding when going up against a lumping great hammer. ;)

When I first met Mrs Taddy, fifty nine years ago, I always had something that was hard and unyielding, it is still unyielding but not quite as hard, this maybe because my G.P. has put me on a course of blood pressure lowering tablets or then again it maybe something to do with me being 75 years of age but if so why did it never bother Charlie Chaplin when he had a young woman on his arm when he was past my age ?

taddy 23-04-2022 20:49

But then again maybe a prescription for the "young Woman", would sort it but don't mention it to Mrs Taddy.

Margaret Pilkington 24-04-2022 08:08

Taddy, just be patient with yourself and your new bit of tech.
It will only do what you make it do…..and most of the things you do on it can be undone.
To get good at something…you have to be bad at it first.
You only get good by keep on trying to get it right. Have the Will and the skill will follow.

As to the ‘hard and unyielding’….all that thrashing and pashing is over-rated…have a hobgoblin instead:D

dotti34 24-04-2022 09:11

Taddy, Charlie Chaplin might have had a young thing on his arm but being in the entertainment business maybe he had an understudy ready to take over if ever he was unable to put in a satisfactory performance….

....AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR AGE, there's nothing you can do about it so embrace life and make the most of it.

Less 24-04-2022 09:21

I think I would prefer a long and stable marriage to having to break in a new model every few years, he may have had young bits of fluff hanging off his arm even into his later life, but, was he happy in his relationships?
https://www.biography.com/news/charlie-chaplin-wives

Margaret Pilkington 24-04-2022 09:56

Yes….do not let the candles on your cake burn your house down!

taddy 24-04-2022 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1266368)
Taddy, Charlie Chaplin might have had a young thing on his arm but being in the entertainment business maybe he had an understudy ready to take over if ever he was unable to put in a satisfactory performance….

....AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR AGE, there's nothing you can do about it so embrace life and make the most of it.

Many thanks for that Dotti it is the same answer that I usually get from Mrs Taddy when she would rather go to sleep. :hehetable

Margaret Pilkington 24-04-2022 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266354)
so why did it never bother Charlie Chaplin ?

somebody had it in for him :D

dotti34 25-04-2022 02:32

Taddy, do you mean she asks if you have an understudy or suggests that you get one...

Less 25-04-2022 08:02

What a shame Charlie didn't do a copy of this song:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4rY52SWklc

It might have served as a warning to Taddy!:cool:

taddy 25-04-2022 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266390)
What a shame Charlie didn't do a copy of this song:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4rY52SWklc

It might have served as a warning to Taddy!:cool:

Sorry Less but my old steam driven device always comes up with "Couldn't load plugin", when I get my new all singing, All dancing electronic machine then maybe I will be able to access them, Regards, The Luddite.

Restless 25-04-2022 16:28

A good place to start would be asking

What version of windows is on your new machine?

I just gone back to windows10 because every single video editing software freezes and crashes and is driving me insane on windows 11. And the promise of "windows 11 is the best OS for gaming ever" is total BS.

taddy 26-04-2022 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1266400)
A good place to start would be asking

What version of windows is on your new machine?

I just gone back to windows10 because every single video editing software freezes and crashes and is driving me insane on windows 11. And the promise of "windows 11 is the best OS for gaming ever" is total BS.

The only games I ever watch have fifteen hulks a side throwing an oval ball betweem them.

Restless 26-04-2022 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266409)
The only games I ever watch have fifteen hulks a side throwing an oval ball betweem them.

well that doesnt answer what version of windows your new machine is running... or are you using linux :confused::):p

Less 26-04-2022 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1266414)
well that doesnt answer what version of windows your new machine is running... or are you using linux :confused::):p

I'd just arrived home, taken a mouthful of chips, read the above and sprayed the remains over my laptop!

You expect Taddy to know what version of windows he's using? You have the imagination to think he might even have heard of, never mind contemplate using Linux?

look, he will just abuse what he is given and be proud of the results, he's online that's as technical as he needs to be.:)

taddy 26-04-2022 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266416)
I'd just arrived home, taken a mouthful of chips, read the above and sprayed the remains over my laptop!

You expect Taddy to know what version of windows he's using? You have the imagination to think he might even have heard of, never mind contemplate using Linux?

look, he will just abuse what he is given and be proud of the results, he's online that's as technical as he needs to be.:)

Ha Ha, what a cracker, You are absolutely correct Less, the only lines that I tend to use are the ones that mark out my (line ux) sorry, (Line of) veggy plants on the allotment. stay safe, keep them coming, your's, Taddy.

taddy 26-04-2022 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1266414)

Restless, in order to answer your question, I am A Rugby Union Fan, either live or on the tele, sorry if I cunfused you that was not my intention, (honestly).
Regards, Taddy.

Margaret Pilkington 26-04-2022 17:58

Less, like you I read the post which asked Taddy what operating system he was using and nearly snorted hot tea down my nose.
This is not to disparage Taddy at all, but we know that he is a six month old baby when it comes to questions about technology….he himself will freely admit to being so.
And as for using Linux…..well,Sorry Restless, but we KNOW Taddy is totally in the dark about Linux.

cashman 11-05-2022 13:53

Taddy aint alone whats linux?

DaveinGermany 11-05-2022 14:32

Another operating system mate, for folk who are computer savvy & don't want to be using Windows.

taddy 11-05-2022 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1266671)
Another operating system mate, for folk who are computer savvy & don't want to be using Windows.

Ah well, at least through Windows one can see what one is looking for, (if one is computer savvy of course), in my case the blinds tend to be partially drawn but things are becoming a little brighter as the winter darkness turns in spring sunshine.
Your's, the willing to learn and still learning, Lancashire Luddite.

DaveinGermany 12-05-2022 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266672)
Ah well, at least through Windows one can see what one is looking for, (if one is computer savvy of course), in my case the blinds tend to be partially drawn but things are becoming a little brighter as the winter darkness turns in spring sunshine.
Your's, the willing to learn and still learning, Lancashire Luddite.

Check you out Lord Taddyson! :D

taddy 13-05-2022 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1266675)
Check you out Lord Taddyson! :D

Many thanks for that Dave, I always try to amuse the peasantry. ;);)

Restless 19-09-2022 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266419)
Less, like you I read the post which asked Taddy what operating system he was using and nearly snorted hot tea down my nose.
This is not to disparage Taddy at all, but we know that he is a six month old baby when it comes to questions about technology….he himself will freely admit to being so.
And as for using Linux…..well,Sorry Restless, but we KNOW Taddy is totally in the dark about Linux.

of course asking if taddy was using linux was a hint of sarcasm :D

Margaret Pilkington 19-09-2022 18:44

Yes Rob…I guessed as much :)

taddy 20-09-2022 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1268623)
of course asking if Taddy was using Linux was a hint of sarcasm :D

Of course, I know what "Linux" is, we had it on our kitchen floor in the 1950s,:D:D

Margaret Pilkington 20-09-2022 13:07

Taddy….that was LINO!

DaveinGermany 20-09-2022 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1268650)
Of course, I know what "Linux" is, we had it on our kitchen floor in the 1950s,:D:D

And he has still got it there now, being as he's the high prophet of the Tightarselians Tabernacle of Accrington. :D;)

taddy 21-09-2022 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1268661)
And he has still got it there now, being as he's the high prophet of the Tightarselians Tabernacle of Accrington. :D;)

To quote Dick Emery, "Oh you are awful, But I like you". :tongueout
]

cashman 07-12-2022 14:58

hey taddy im younger than you, but not far behind you in technology stupidity,:D

robert49399528 07-12-2022 18:06

some times computers drive me nutts

robert49399528 07-12-2022 18:07

a big hammer:lamer:

Restless 29-01-2023 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert49399528 (Post 1269866)
some times computers drive me nutts

people do the same to me :D