Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 15:20   #1
Len
God Member

saving your received e-mails

Is there a way were as you can save your received e-mails to a disc for future reference before your pc has to be formatted. Same with your address book, can they be saved also?
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2006, 15:32   #2
I am Banned

Re: saving your received e-mails

Yeh you can save your address book to disk by way of exporting it in a csv format saved using Excel, ive done it with my yahoo contact & addresses & outlook express also incredimail.

Not sure about mails though cos i tried & it didnt work hence why i use googlemail now as it archives old mails seperately on site accessible by logging in from any pc plus handy cos it doesnt clog my pc up & it holds 2337mb of storage according to google you never need to delete mail cos of the storage it has.

Hope that helps
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 15:34   #3
I am Banned

ps: if you want gmail you have to be invited to be introduced to it so let me know if you need one
Old 24-06-2006, 15:59   #4
Len
God Member

Thanks for that mel

I have an account with Yahoo and it does similar to gmail where by I can use any pc to view the received emails and the address book, doesn’t matter what happens to my pc the info is still there.

Problem is, I have other accounts that once I receive the emails it’s up to me to look after them. If my pc crashes or what ever, then I run the risk of losing the lot, which has happened on two or three occasions. Perhaps the only way is to simply copy and paste the actual text in the email and dump it somewhere.
Old 24-06-2006, 16:31   #5
I am Banned

Only thing with yahoo its only 2gb of storage but alternative is to add other email accounts through yahoo, or forward them to your yahoo & if you access it through express then make sure on your yahoo you tick to keep copy on server [the yahoo server] so if all fails duplicates are available on yahoo mail site.

For existing ones suppose you can copy paste onto word or something or what i've done is copy paste onto a blank compose mail in yahoo & store it there.
Old 24-06-2006, 16:45   #6
God Member

If you're using 'Outlook Express'. Open the e-mail, go up to the top left-hand corner, click on file, drop down to save as and save the e-mail to wherever you want.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 24-06-2006 at 16:47.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 20:05   #7
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
If you're using 'Outlook Express'. Open the e-mail, go up to the top left-hand corner, click on file, drop down to save as and save the e-mail to wherever you want.
Well that definitely did the trick, nice one.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Cheers.

Last edited by Len; 24-06-2006 at 20:08.
Old 24-06-2006, 22:03   #8
God Member

I havn't used windows in a while and specialy not outlook express, but I believe there was a place where the emails are stored in a database file... as I havn't used outlook for years i've had to google it, and since I don't run windows i can't confirm that the files are actualy stored here... however:
Quote:
From the Outlook Express menu select Tools | Options | Maintenance and click the StoreFolder button. You see a dialog with the name of the directory that has your mail files. If you look in that directory you find files named after your mail folders and news groups. They all have a .DBX suffix. Outlook Express keeps all messages in these database files. If you make copies of these files regularly, you'll have a safe backup of your OE mail.
Personaly I love Gmail, so mcuh storage space you will never run out, you can view emails through webbrowser from anywhere, or download them to outlook (or any other email program) and still leave them on the gmail server, so you always have a copy.
Old 24-06-2006, 23:18   #9
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I havn't used windows in a while and specialy not outlook express, but I believe there was a place where the emails are stored in a database file... as I havn't used outlook for years i've had to google it, and since I don't run windows i can't confirm that the files are actualy stored here... however:

Personaly I love Gmail, so mcuh storage space you will never run out, you can view emails through webbrowser from anywhere, or download them to outlook (or any other email program) and still leave them on the gmail server, so you always have a copy.
I like that one, much easier. Hehe I followed the instructions and when I came across the dialog with the directory location I simply selected all and copied, I then pasted into the "search for files" under the start button, and it came up immediately. I copied the contents of the directory and saved.

My desktop pc packed in the other week (hard drive) and I lost everything, emails, addresses, the lot. So I’ve been using my cheapo laptop for the last few weeks and I had accumulated quite a few important-ish emails. Now I'm using a replacement pc with outlook express and because of the information you’ve just provided I have now got a cloned copy of what was contained in my laptop.

I hope it makes sense, I’ve had a few vodka’s.

Cheers

Old 25-06-2006, 00:15   #10
God Member

No problem
Old 25-06-2006, 10:51   #11
I am Banned

I love Gmail & run all my accounts through it its so much easier especially to get particular messages quickly than having to search through hundreds specially with filters.

Glad you have it sorted Len
Old 25-06-2006, 19:07   #12
God Member

of course the other thing you can do if you have important emals is to dump the mail file up to a webspace somewhere. That way if your house burns down you still have those emails!

Same goes for any important pictures, data etc.

One other option which I thought of th eother day is to have a co-op of friends where you give up some hard disk space to someone else. e.g. lets say I give up 2 gig of disk space on my laptop for len to store his important info in. he in turn gives up 2 gig for say Mick who stores 2 gigs of Harwood reds who stores 2 gig of mine. That way, no cost implications, resilience of data sroage is improved. You can improve this again by sharing your data across say 2 other PCs..

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 20:34   #13
Lyn

Just as a point of interest there is actually a program that ive used for a long time - called Express Assist - backs up emails, email accounts & settings and IE favourties etc
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01   #14
Resident Waffler

I do wish Gmail supported embedded images.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 17:19   #15
God Member

I know that if you just drag an image from a webbrowser into the gmail message you are typing it will embed it because it allows HTML.. but.. i dont think you can embed one from your own pc without uploading it to a site first, or at least I dont know how to do it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..