Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Genuine XP windows (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/genuine-xp-windows-21531.html)

accymel 16-08-2006 21:51

Re: Genuine XP windows

LOL well i think that what drives my paranoia - i dont trust the money grabbing get lmao!!!!

entwisi 17-08-2006 06:27

Its not the 'disc' that needs to be genuine, its the license number that you use to install it with that has to be a genuine 'you only' license. There are corporate ones doing the rounds that Microsoft know are about and have been deemed 'non genuine' . Where did you get the license number from?

as for Home vs Pro, there is actually very little difference, the main bits being IIS (Web Server) plus a few high end admin tools. In day to day use I can't think of a single difference that you would notice. It may be that you haven't configured it teh same but there is no reason why you can't.

Give me a shout if you want more info

accymel 17-08-2006 09:40

:confused: i got the licence with the disk:D Hence the reformat jobber hehehe:p

My old xp [pro] was on when i bought the pc so was 'activated' already, tho took 9 months to get the pop ups.

I dunno i just prefer it as it ran better & had quirky things that was handy, like desktop clean-up so it tidies up the un-necessary instead of being in view home dont do that:rolleyes:

alexboy45 29-08-2006 12:30

You will have to be careful what you get some companies will want to sell you an OEM (Original End Manufacturer) copy of windows this is usually just a booklet with a cd sometimes and a 1" by 2.5" sticker with the code for it. you are not allowed to use these unless it has been sold with a new pc. the one you should be using is a boxed version that are usury a lot more expensive than the OEM. When you have the new copy of windows and the disk you can run a utility called sysprep this will allow you to change the licence key as it resets all the licensing stuff and askes you to re enter it all. The 2 versions of windows must match i.e win XP Pro to XP Pro and XP Home to XP Home

Th3daddy 29-08-2006 13:37

Hello... 2 options really .. £60 for XP Home edition or £78 for XP media centre ( same as home edition except it has a few addons.. oem version you cabn buy with a hard drive or memory as long as it is with a main component you will be fine.
i personally would go for media centre as you get a lot more!!

Madhatter 04-09-2006 13:08

Does it know that you've bought it with a hard drive then?
I've got xp pro, and agree with entwisi, there is not really any difference so I think I'm going to get media centre edition. At a cost of 78 quid it's worth the peace of mind that the updates give.

entwisi 04-09-2006 19:18

is your XP pro dodgy then? Media centre may not be all its cracked up to be, what are you actually wanting that you think it will give you over standard 'home'

SamF 22-09-2006 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter
Does it know that you've bought it with a hard drive then?
I've got xp pro, and agree with entwisi, there is not really any difference so I think I'm going to get media centre edition. At a cost of 78 quid it's worth the peace of mind that the updates give.

Wait for Vista.

whatsupp 22-09-2006 20:30

IM HAVEING THE SAME PROBLEM BUT IT HAS ONLY STARTED SINCE I INSTALLED MSN FOR MY DAUGHTER TO CHAT WITH HER MATES ,
I KNOW THIS MAY NOT HELP BUT I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT AS WELL KNOW YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE ......................................:mad:

SamF 22-09-2006 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsupp
IM HAVEING THE SAME PROBLEM BUT IT HAS ONLY STARTED SINCE I INSTALLED MSN FOR MY DAUGHTER TO CHAT WITH HER MATES ,
I KNOW THIS MAY NOT HELP BUT I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT AS WELL KNOW YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE ......................................:mad:

Does the problem also control Caps Lock ?

And the reason why it only started when you installed MSN was because you connected to windows to install it, this is when they checked to see if you ran genuine windows... which it looks like you don't.

Madhatter 23-09-2006 01:01

I don't want vista n its bugs, I'd rather have xp. I'm not fussed which entwisi, do you think that media centre edition isnt worth bothering with. I just wanted to use the pc as a dvd player and recorder, thought it would be easier wioth mce.

Robdunn24 23-09-2006 10:53

just download a crack.... bye bye problem

AccyJay 23-09-2006 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robdunn24
just download a crack.... bye bye problem

Good luck with that !!!! I did that the other week, had to format 30 mins later, it really messed my system up. Make sure you virus scan the crack.

:(