Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Scam Phone Call - PC Problem Warning (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/scam-phone-call-pc-problem-warning-56049.html)

***Mr D*** 15-12-2010 12:32

Scam Phone Call - PC Problem Warning

Had a intersting phone call from a lady from Microsoft support advising my PC may have exploits that my Anti Virus cannot decect, this is effecting people in Accrington and they can fix it for me.

Now I love this type of call and did my usual wind up procedure, after telling her I was a computer programmer for 20 years they decided to hang up on me.

This is just a warning to others as she wanted me to log on to my pc and guide me through the fix.

Do not do this. Not sure what the scam is but as she clearly mentioned Accrington others may get this call.

Gremlin 15-12-2010 12:45

Re: Scam Phone Call - PC Problem Warning

I had a similar call from "Microsoft support" and asked her to slowly tell me the details of the fix so that I could go through it in my own time.
After I explained that I had passed all my computer and electronics exams years ago and keep up to date with the latest technology she thanked me for my time and went swiftly off to phone some other mug.
Still it's more plausible than the Nigerian Chiefs daughter who wanted to give me a share of the many millions of pounds she had but needed my bank details so she could deposit it there.

jaysay 15-12-2010 18:06

Me too, I've had the same call, they give themselves away slightly when thy can hardly speak English:D

accyman 16-12-2010 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 869237)
Me too, I've had the same call, they give themselves away slightly when thy can hardly speak English:D

ringing from newcastle then are they ?

jaysay 16-12-2010 18:03

Got another one today, a guy with a lovely Indian Accent rang about 3-30 this aft, he just said from our records your having some financial problems which we can sort out for you, jaysay goes into rant mod,now which F-ing records would they be you lying ***** barsteward, I've never had financial problems in my life, PHONE GOES DEAD:rolleyes:

RHFOY 26-12-2010 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 869149)
Had a intersting phone call from a lady from Microsoft support advising my PC may have exploits that my Anti Virus cannot decect, this is effecting people in Accrington and they can fix it for me.

Now I love this type of call and did my usual wind up procedure, after telling her I was a computer programmer for 20 years they decided to hang up on me.

This is just a warning to others as she wanted me to log on to my pc and guide me through the fix.

Do not do this. Not sure what the scam is but as she clearly mentioned Accrington others may get this call.

Thank you Mr D, great advise to all !!!:)

Michael1954 28-11-2011 16:04

Be advised there is a scam going round whereby someone will phone up saying you have error messages on your computer and offering to fix it over the phone. Someone just phoned me. Trouble is I don't have a home computer! I was told to eff off when I told them. They also accused me of wasting their time!

Margaret Pilkington 28-11-2011 16:38

I had this phone call this morning.......from India...you could tell it was India, there was an echo on the line.
I let her go through her spiel and then said could you repeat that please I am a bit on the deaf side....I let her go through it all again and then told her that she must have got me mixed up with some other mug she was trying to scam...then I put the phone down.

jaysay 28-11-2011 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 952488)
Be advised there is a scam going round whereby someone will phone up saying you have error messages on your computer and offering to fix it over the phone. Someone just phoned me. Trouble is I don't have a home computer! I was told to eff off when I told them. They also accused me of wasting their time!

They don't get chance with me Michael I tell um to eff off first:D

jaysay 28-11-2011 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 952496)
I had this phone call this morning.......from India...you could tell it was India, there was an echo on the line.
I let her go through her spiel and then said could you repeat that please I am a bit on the deaf side....I let her go through it all again and then told her that she must have got me mixed up with some other mug she was trying to scam...then I put the phone down.

Ya I had a call from India too Margaret (mind you I do most days), in fact I feel hurt and neglected if they don't ring, I've turned it into a sport now, how long I can string um along before they suss I'm taking the pee 23 minutes is the best so far:D

steve2qec 28-11-2011 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 952520)
Ya I had a call from India too Margaret (mind you I do most days), in fact I feel hurt and neglected if they don't ring, I've turned it into a sport now, how long I can string um along before they suss I'm taking the pee 23 minutes is the best so far:D

Yes, John it is indeed a sport....its official name is "call-caller baiting"

jaysay 28-11-2011 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 952527)
Yes, John it is indeed a sport....its official name is "call-caller baiting"

Ya good init:D

Margaret Pilkington 28-11-2011 19:16

Best of it is John....she rang me back to assure me it wasn't a scam....I told her it didn't matter....I still hadn't got a computer.

maxthecollie 28-11-2011 20:19

My mother who is 85 gets phone calls from India asking about her computer ( which she hasn't got) and she tells them to ''go away''

harwood red 28-11-2011 21:17

you all need to register on the tps and then you won't get the calls (mobile too)
TPS

on the same website you can do mail as well