Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Do not buy large flash drives from ebay (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/do-not-buy-large-flash-drives-from-ebay-62941.html)

Restless 26-11-2012 19:54

Do not buy large flash drives from ebay

If you are thinking of buying a flash device from ebay. USB stick, microSD etc. Think again.

Burn Down The Disco ? Do not buy flash from eBay

Full story why on my blog. But cut it short. I have been testing a friends USB stick. Its supposed to be 64GB but it is actually 5.7GB.

If anybody has had any problems with their usb flash drives. Especially ones that are 16gb and up. Give the H2testw1.4 a whirl.

maxthecollie 26-11-2012 19:55

Re: Do not buy large flash drives from ebay

I always buy mine from Amazon and never had any trouble

Margaret Pilkington 26-11-2012 20:05

If you have bought this on Ebay, and it isn't what the seller said it was...you can get your money back.
Contact the seller, explain what is wrong with the item purchased. This gives them a chance to resolve the issue amicably...if this cannot be done, then contact Customer support and open a case.
If E-bay connot resolve the issue with the seller you may get a refund on the price.
If you paid with Paypal there is buyer protection.

I know it is a hassle to do this, but if you don't do it then others may also fall into this trap.
It maybe that the seller didn't know the flash drive was not as he/she purported it to be, and they can then take it up with their supplier.

Restless 26-11-2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1029506)
I always buy mine from Amazon and never had any trouble

There is always the possibility of buying fakes on there too. But. A lot of stuff is sold directly from Amazon. So in most cases you wouldn't have a problem.

Also some people will never use 6GB never mind 64GB so they would never know.

maxthecollie 26-11-2012 20:07

The biggest one I have bought are 32GB

Margaret Pilkington 26-11-2012 20:12

I have bought mini Sd cards, and they have always been Ok.
In fact I have bought lots of stuff on E-bay and have not been disappointed.
I reckon if you buy something that sounds too good to be true, then you have to suspect it is fake....and you have to make the right kind of enquiries, before you shell out the money.
It also makes sense to buy from names that you know and trust.
Zavvi were recently advertising some 64GB flash drives in the E-bay daily deals.....they were almost half the retail price.

Restless 26-11-2012 20:25

what size of mini sd cards bought form ebay?

You don't know its fake until you have used it to capacity

Neil 26-11-2012 20:37

I have read warnings before about many of the larger SD cards being fakes, especially those that come from abroad

Margaret Pilkington 26-11-2012 21:07

The ones I bought were 8GB......to put games onto.......they seem kosher enough.
And when I put the games on I check the space left on the drive and it is about right...no discrepancy.
I have never bought anything bigger than 8GB.

I would get your friend to contact the retailer..even if she bought the flash drive a while ago......and if she has no success, then to contact the Customer Service Team at E-bay.

Neil 26-11-2012 22:13

I think the issue is that you will not know it is an 8GB drive until you fill it up, I think windows reports free space by taking what the drive reports as being its size minus the space taken up.

cmonstanley 26-11-2012 22:30

go into disk management, format and fix bad sectors and errors before you use .i thought i was sold a dud one once but did this and still using it 3 years later

Roy 27-11-2012 03:07

You should really just advise people to buy wise, just as when buying anything. I sell high capacity stuff on ebay (picked up from my travels) and its all good stuff, don't expect it to be cheap though!

Margaret Pilkington 27-11-2012 06:43

I bought a Kingston SD card from Clas Olson in Manchester.......and then bought one off e-bay(can't remember the supplier).......the games which were transfered to the one bought off E-bay gave the same reading as those that were on the Kingston SD card(They were games that Spindles wanted his friend at school to have - so that they could play tournaments).

I wuold not be happy if I had paid for 64GB and I only had space of 6GB.......if I found that out I would definitely be contacting the seller...and possibly the customer service team.

Restless 27-11-2012 07:11

KIngston are one of the most faked products

Margaret Pilkington 27-11-2012 07:16

I wouldn't expect to buy a fake product from a reputable dealer like Clas Olson.
Oh I should have said ...the one bought off Ebay was unbranded.(but I have bought Kingston products on E-bay)