Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Windows XP The Countdown Begins (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/windows-xp-the-countdown-begins-64029.html)

claytonx 12-04-2013 12:28

Windows XP The Countdown Begins

On April 8th 2014 Microsoft will end all support for Windows XP. that means no more updates, it also means that any new software probably won't run on XP. Of course Windows XP isn't going to stop working on that date but it means that the XP computer becomes much more vulnerable to malware attacks, and increasingly difficult to equip with compatible hardware and software.

Restless 12-04-2013 14:13

Re: Windows XP The Countdown Begins

Silly to still use it anyway. I wonder if that means next year they will finally upgrade at work... I hope so.... it might actually force them to buy new pcs too. Working on a P4 machine is a pain in you know whatsi

accyman 12-04-2013 14:29

not really that big a worry regarding malware as long as you keep your malware and antivirus up to date

it is inevitable that eventually people will have to buy a new system if they want to play teh latest games or use the newest software but theres no need to replace a system if it is doing what you want

already on xp you cany use the latest internet explorer but the old one still works fine and if it dosnt the newest firefox still works on xp

i know someone who was running windows 2000 right up until the launch of windows 7 because he didnt like xp or vista

Retlaw 12-04-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1052676)
not really that big a worry regarding malware as long as you keep your malware and antivirus up to date

it is inevitable that eventually people will have to buy a new system if they want to play teh latest games or use the newest software but theres no need to replace a system if it is doing what you want

already on xp you cany use the latest internet explorer but the old one still works fine and if it dosnt the newest firefox still works on xp

i know someone who was running windows 2000 right up until the launch of windows 7 because he didnt like xp or vista

One of my computers is still running on DO 6, the other is Win XP service 3 & the updates have been off for over 12 months, never used XP anti virus, I use malwarebytes, another has Win 7 on it but have'nt been able to use it properly, because win explore won't display & print my picture collection as I'm used to, in fact in the past 12 months its only had about 3 hours running time, gave it to my daughter once, she gave it back, said it was a bag of shiite. I don't have any games on the computers other than what came with the original programs.

jaysay 12-04-2013 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1052717)
One of my computers is still running on DO 6, the other is Win XP service 3 & the updates have been off for over 12 months, never used XP anti virus, I use malwarebytes, another has Win 7 on it but have'nt been able to use it properly, because win explore won't display & print my picture collection as I'm used to, in fact in the past 12 months its only had about 3 hours running time, gave it to my daughter once, she gave it back, said it was a bag of shiite. I don't have any games on the computers other than what came with the original programs.

Can't imagine any of your lovely daughters saying that Walter:D

cmonstanley 12-04-2013 22:23

use the compatible selection.

Retlaw 12-04-2013 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1052806)

Is this reply meant for me, if so where the ek is this compatable thingy.

gpick24 12-04-2013 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1052806)

I think Stanley is talking about compatibilty Mode, allowing older programs to run on newer operating systems.
Compatibility Mode - Windows 7 Help Forums
Just realised i`ve linked to another forum, if this isn`t allowed then i apologise.

cmonstanley 12-04-2013 23:32

Windows® 7: Change program compatibility - YouTube or press start go to search programs and files type in program compatibility run programs made for previous versions of windows press next and choose which program.

Restless 12-04-2013 23:44

what you missed cmon is the whole of win7 is incompatible for retlaw :D

jaysay 13-04-2013 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1052820)
what you missed cmon is the whole of win7 is incompatible for retlaw :D

Ah I see you know him too Rob:D:D

Restless 13-04-2013 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1052866)
Ah I see you know him too Rob:D:D

Don't show him windows 8 :eek::)

accyman 13-04-2013 10:40

win 8 has no buisness been installed on a computer especially a pc tower its purely set up for tablets and touch screen phones

but with a couple of tweaks you can fix microsofts ignorance lol

DaveinGermany 13-04-2013 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1052867)
Don't show him windows 8 :eek::)

Bought the Witch a lappy for her Birthday & Windows 8 was on it, can't say that I'm over impressed with it, it just seems to ungainly to me, but then again as far as CP technology goes I'm not really that literate to be honest. :o

cashman 13-04-2013 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1052898)
Bought the Witch a lappy for her Birthday & Windows 8 was on it, can't say that I'm over impressed with it, it just seems to ungainly to me, but then again as far as CP technology goes I'm not really that literate to be honest. :o

Don't brag about it.Yer no-where near as numb as me.:D