Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music, Bands, Noise! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/)
-   -   Lennon or McCartney? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/lennon-or-mccartney-17900.html)

shakermaker 09-11-2005 15:37

Lennon or McCartney?

I was having this debate with my mate the other day; who does everyone think made the better music post-Beatles??
Before you ask, we didnt think George Harrison and Ringo Starr deserved to be put through the misery of losing tremendously in this poll so they were gracefully left out lol

Doug 09-11-2005 15:54

Re: Lennon or McCartney?

Why? George Harrison wrote some fantastic lyrics and for me “Sometimes” is hard to beat, no pun intended. This is a hard one really, but on the face John Lennon wrote many meaningful and haunting songs after the break up of the group. “Imagine” and “Woman” will always be at the forefront of peoples minds when asked to make a choice so I would say Lennon, but I reserve the right to change me mind should I want too….Actually there’s a Lennon CD out now, if you haven’t got ask for it for Christmas……….

garinda 09-11-2005 16:02

I'm in two minds, and can't decide.:(

Cynthia Lennon did some wonderful bed linen for BHS, but Linda McCartney's range of vegetarian meals really were tip top.

shakermaker 09-11-2005 16:04

i know Harrison wrote some fantastic stuff; which is why the Beatles song 'Something' is one of my faves of all time; but the original debate that me and my mate were trying to settle was over lennn/mccartney....didnt think there'd be any point bringin george and ringo into the debate now

Doug 09-11-2005 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker
i know Harrison wrote some fantastic stuff; which is why the Beatles song 'Something' is one of my faves of all time; but the original debate that me and my mate were trying to settle was over lennn/mccartney....didnt think there'd be any point bringin george and ringo into the debate now

Your right young chap, it is "something" and I'm needing my medication. :rolleyes:

:) No worries this is a good call and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. All the best....:)

Doug 09-11-2005 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Why? George Harrison wrote some fantastic lyrics and for me “Sometimes” is hard to beat, no pun intended. This is a hard one really, but on the face John Lennon wrote many meaningful and haunting songs after the break up of the group. “Imagine” and “Woman” will always be at the forefront of peoples minds when asked to make a choice so I would say Lennon, but I reserve the right to change me mind should I want too….Actually there’s a Lennon CD out now, if you haven’t got ask for it for Christmas……….

That's Something and not Sometimes...... :)

cashman 09-11-2005 16:36

no contest-for me LENNON.

shakermaker 09-11-2005 16:41

Lennon gets it for me aswell...Imagine is the best album i have ever heard, mind games is an absolute gem though.
Instant Karma is my favourite lennon song....changes between that and Imagine

cashman 09-11-2005 22:26

don't usually like cover versions but lennon did a fantastic cover of the old ben e king classic =stand by me, shortly before he died.

shakermaker 09-11-2005 22:52

absolutely love that song....so apt, so beautiful.

carly 09-11-2005 23:52

lennon!!!!

Bad-Wolf 10-11-2005 08:03

McCartney everytime. Lennon was (like McCartney is now) a spent force!

shakermaker 10-11-2005 10:03

i dont think thats true; i think the creative genius that was John Lennon gradually disappeared after meeting Yoko...which is why his best work is some of the earliest solo stuff ie imagine.

Tinkerbelle 10-11-2005 13:36

My personal choice is Lennon, though I think they were both extremely talented.

cashman 10-11-2005 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
My personal choice is Lennon, though I think they were both extremely talented.

are you sitting on the fence tinks?(most unusual)lol:)