Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music, Bands, Noise! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/)
-   -   Them (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/them-26286.html)

jaysay 29-11-2006 17:21

Them

At the moment Im listening to Music Choice every morning on Sky Dig 395, there are various catagories, but I always choose the 60s, takes me back to my teens. There was a number on this morning called Here Comes The Night by Them, can anyone tell me if Van Morrison was a member of this 60s group, I bet Cashman knows.

shakermaker 29-11-2006 17:22

Re: Them

Yep Van Morrison was in Them but it didn't last very long I think.

jaysay 29-11-2006 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 342770)
Yep Van Morrison was in Them but it didn't last very long I think.

I think they may have been one hit wonders although I might be wrong Shakey

harwood red 29-11-2006 17:27

Van Morrison actually formed the band "Them". Aswell as "Here comes the night" They also released "Gloria"

Wynonie Harris 29-11-2006 19:26

Van Morrison and Them formed in Belfast in 1963 and came to England in 1964. They had two big hits, Baby Please Don't Go and Here Comes The Night. The flipside of the former was the Van Morrison-penned Gloria which sold a million copies in the US in 1966 via a cover version by Chicago garage band, the Shadows of Knight. Morrison left Them in 1966 and embarked on his solo career and the rest is history.

A little-known fact: Van Morrison and Them actually appeared in Accrington at the Majestic Ballroom at Christmas, 1965. They were awful!

cashman 30-11-2006 00:26

belfast lad van morrison joined the monarchs aged 15,who played in germany,on return formed THEM but disbanded in 1966 due to the politics of the music buisness, actually saw him solo at the ulster hall belfast 1970, great concert,bad place to be at time.;)

jaysay 30-11-2006 04:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 342808)
Van Morrison and Them formed in Belfast in 1963 and came to England in 1964. They had two big hits, Baby Please Don't Go and Here Comes The Night. The flipside of the former was the Van Morrison-penned Gloria which sold a million copies in the US in 1966 via a cover version by Chicago garage band, the Shadows of Knight. Morrison left Them in 1966 and embarked on his solo career and the rest is history.

A little-known fact: Van Morrison and Them actually appeared in Accrington at the Majestic Ballroom at Christmas, 1965. They were awful!

Thanks Wynonie I forgot about Baby please dont go and Gloria, how could I, I remember Van at Accy Con in the sixties, mind you we got a lot of decent acts of the day up the Con, If I remember rightly mostly on Monday nights I think it used to go under the name "Bernard presents" one of my favourites was Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders and of course the resident band were the Lional Morton Four aka the Four Pennies

Wynonie Harris 30-11-2006 15:08

By the time Them got to Accy Con, they were fading fast in the here-today-gone-tomorrow world of pop. Many of the original band members had left to be replaced by stand-in musicians and Van himself was losing interest, all of which was reflected in their lacklustre performance. It seemed like Van Morrison was all set to become a footnote in popular music history, but little did we know...

WillowTheWhisp 30-11-2006 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 342951)
I remember Van at Accy Con in the sixties, mind you we got a lot of decent acts of the day up the Con, If I remember rightly mostly on Monday nights I think it used to go under the name "Bernard presents" one of my favourites was Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders and of course the resident band were the Lional Morton Four aka the Four Pennies

Oh what memories.

I've always sort of idolised Van Morrison and I don't remember him ever being awful.

Wynonie Harris 30-11-2006 21:36

I think that Van the Man was having one of his off nights at the Con!