Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music, Bands, Noise! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/)
-   -   The Swedes are back. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/the-swedes-are-back-72139.html)

DaveinGermany 05-11-2021 18:22

The Swedes are back.

About 40 years ago ABBA called it a day, now they are back with a new Album & an upcoming tour. Not sure what the reception has been like in UK, but over here the Germlings seem to be going loopy for it. Pretty much every radio station I hear is going on about their return & playing new tracks. Apparently the Album went on sale as of midnight yesterday. Me personally will hum along or have a quick mumble of the song (the older stuff) as it's being played but never really been mad daft for their music, Marion on the other hand was always quite keen, something to do with her "Dancing Queen" teenie days.

That said, what I have heard of the album seems typically ABBA but with a certain "Celtic" undertone. For some reason I seem to have gotten a little emotional over some of the new tracks I've heard so far (Am I going through my very own blokey Mental Pause? who knows?) .... which quite surprised me. There's even one about a failing relationship "I can be that Woman" were a hound has an integral part of the story bizzarely enough, plus there is also a sickly sweet Christmas ditty rounded out with a school choir doing the chorus. Of the 2 tracks pre released "I still have faith in you", tends to pull at my inner wussy side.

So, anybody out there got any views, opinions, couldn't care less or just want to rip the pish out of me for being a bit wussified, crack on folks I've got big slopey shoulders. ;) :D

DaveinGermany 05-11-2021 19:01

Re: The Swedes are back.

Forgot to mention, the Album is called "Voyage" & the tours apparently are to be proper "techy & Carlos Fandango".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ00slYj0_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRT2ZTRR1ps

dotti34 05-11-2021 21:37

Not sure how I feel about the upcoming concert, Dave. It won't be them in person performing at this concert but digital projections of the group as they were in 1979, or thereabouts. I suppose it will be quite an experience for those who go to this concert, but will a digital version be as meaningful as the real thing? Then again, they are much older now so maybe it would be a bit of a let down to see them as they are today and we should be grateful for technology.

However, no doubt I will be tapping my feet when I listen to their album.

DaveinGermany 05-11-2021 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1259035)
Then again, they are much older now so maybe it would be a bit of a let down to see them as they are today and we should be grateful for technology.

However, no doubt I will be tapping my feet when I listen to their album.

There are a few Photies out there, Benny & Bjorn haven't really changed much, Anni-Frid is unrecognizable & Agnetha is carrying a few extra pounds but there is a faint resemblance to her younger days.

Still, the music & the girls voices are those of old.

Margaret Pilkington 06-11-2021 08:09

For years members of this group did not speak to each other….so what is the motive behind a new album after four decades…..ah yes….MONEY.
(Surely they cannot be short of a Bob or two…..unless they have a tax bill unpaid of course)
I cannot say that I liked their wares the first time around…..I hesitate to call it music….it was just noise to me….though strangely, my dad LIKED them….reason enough for me to think they were not for me.
I like lots of different types of music… But Definitely not ABBA……give me Pink Floyd any day, the Beatles, The Eagles…..but please don’t assault my ears with this stuff.

dotti34 07-11-2021 07:09

I wonder if their natural voices really do sound exactly as they did 40 years or so ago. They are in their 70’s now and the cynic in me wonders if there just might have been some clever engineering done in the recording studio regarding this new record. Just my opinion, my apologies if I am wrong.

As for a digitally enhanced concert, well if the four of them aren’t going to be there in person why bother to pay good money to see some sort of hologram or whatever. I read where the audience will be able to get up close and personal with the ‘recreation of the superstars’, well that sounds exciting – not! I have also read that body doubles in their twenties were hired to film scenes that will be used in the show.

It sounds like a very clever concept in the way technology will be used but does not appeal to me – but then I like the real thing and this all sounds a bit false. No doubt there will be plenty of fans going crazy over it and enjoying it all, filling the group’s coffers. My non-contribution will not be missed.

kestrelx 01-01-2022 19:56

Haven't they done a Christmas record in 2021 and it didn't even get in the chart?

DaveinGermany 10-01-2022 10:24

Admission of guilt, while drunk shopping & feeling a little melancholy I purchased said Album :o. Only to find it was freely available to me with my Amazon Prime membership.

https://gifburg.com/images/gifs/facepalm/gifs/0019.gif

taddy 11-01-2022 08:54

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1262422]Admission of guilt, while drunk shopping & feeling a little melancholy I purchased said Album :o. Only to find it was freely available to me with my Amazon Prime membership.

What, a Scouser paying for something that he could have got for free, you must be having a Giraffe.

DaveinGermany 11-01-2022 09:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1262440)
What, a Scouser paying for something that he could have got for free, you must be having a Giraffe.

By free, I assume you're just being polite by not saying "Could've nicked"? :D

When Covid broke out in the "Pool" there was a major panic until someone posted the below item to the "L'pool Echo". ;)

Less 12-01-2022 17:19

When I saw the thread title 'The Swedes are back', I thought you were announcing you'd gone veggie and your lunch had given you indigestion!

DaveinGermany 12-01-2022 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1262516)
When I saw the thread title 'The Swedes are back', I thought you were announcing you'd gone veggie and your lunch had given you indigestion!

Wash your mouth out! I point blank refuse to become a vegetablist through choice ever! Gawd made bacon for a reason, those that don't or won't eat it are obviously damned to a life of misery & are no doubt somewhat strange, suspect & peculiar in their doings. :D

cashman 18-01-2022 12:07

didnt mind Abba but Floyd are my favourite group. but to be honest i have never seem them and wouldnt go to end of the street to see a performance that is not live.