Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Is it time? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/is-it-time-13628.html)

MichiganRed 27-07-2005 03:32

Is it time?

I don't know if I can take the waiting much longer. Would someone over there please see what can be done about pushing the calendar forward to the start of the season?

KIPAX 27-07-2005 09:34

Re: Is it time?

Give me a couple of weeks and I will do it :)

LongLostSon 28-07-2005 22:35

From 200+ miles away I worry that we do not seem to have a team that can make an impact, yet. Kinda wish the season was 4 weeks away rather than 2 - what do you local lads think, having seen in the flesh so to speak ?

Tin Monkey 29-07-2005 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLostSon
From 200+ miles away I worry that we do not seem to have a team that can make an impact, yet. Kinda wish the season was 4 weeks away rather than 2 - what do you local lads think, having seen in the flesh so to speak ?

I don't think you're a million miles off in your assumptions. I'm not unrealistic in my expectations and I know all clubs start the season with hopes of promotion, but unless significant signings are made, I can't see us achieving very much at all.

The worrying thing is, as results/performances suffer, the crowds will dwindle and the impact on the club's 'full-time status' is bound to be affected too. It's a catch 22 situation and there's no easy solution unfortunately.

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2005 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
The worrying thing is, as results/performances suffer, the crowds will dwindle and the impact on the club's 'full-time status' is bound to be affected too. It's a catch 22 situation and there's no easy solution unfortunately.

This is exactly what's worrying me at the moment. I know they're only friendly matches, but if we can't beat Arnold Town, how are we going to go on against Hereford and Exeter?

Also, Smithy's testimonial was something of an eye-opener for me, as it showed just how few in number us hardcore Stanley fans really are (with apologies to those who couldn't make it because of holidays, distance etc).

I know Eric runs a tight ship financially, but I think it may be time to spend the money received for Evil and Rory - and perhaps a little more - on some quality signings.

rob 29-07-2005 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I know Eric runs a tight ship financially, but I think it may be time to spend the money received for Evil and Rory - and perhaps a little more - on some quality signings.

who would you spend money on wynonie? not a dig, serious question...

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2005 09:28

I don't have any names in mind in particular, but just a really strong striker, possibly from one of the lower division league clubs.

Whalley Red 29-07-2005 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob
who would you spend money on wynonie? not a dig, serious question...

... and an unfair question!

We do not have the details of which players are available and what their wage demands will be.

I'm sure we all share Coley's view that another four new players are needed, particularly a striker. It is just frustrating that it is not obvious from Coley's actions so far (i.e. players that we have trialled) where those four players are going to come from. We all remember the goalkeeper saga last year. The most basic requirement is that they are better than either the players we have already or the players we have released, so someone to at least match Evil is required. Maybe Rodney Jack will be the triallist to capture our imaginations, we'll see on Wednesday.

But last year we didn't have a particularly good pre-season and were 2nd in the league at the end of September ...

garinda 29-07-2005 09:45

I for one, as a 'new' fan, will be there come the start of the season proper.

I don't think poor crowds for friendlies are down to Rory and Evil going, but like Tin Monkey said, more likely to the fact that lots of people are away on holiday.

New signings to replace those two stalwarts would be good though.

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2005 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I for one, as a 'new' fan, will be there come the start of the season proper.

Good! We could do with a few more - in fact, a lot more - like you!:)

Smiffy16 29-07-2005 11:02

Shaun Goater has just been released from Reading :) Does Ged not know him from his City days ? :D

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2005 11:44

Feed the Goat and he will score...but, sadly, not for us with the sort of wages that he will want.

LongLostSon 30-07-2005 18:09

wanna name Rob ? - how about that young forward that Forest Green have, McNiven or something similar (don't grow old - the memory cells dry up !). Despit FGR's lowly state, he still seemed to bother teams in the last 2 seasons.

John_Timmins 30-07-2005 19:21

i thought he got sold to some scotish side - but im probably wrong??

Tin Monkey 30-07-2005 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Timmins
i thought he got sold to some scotish side - but im probably wrong??

Are you thinking of David McNiven who was at Leigh, but went to Queen of the South?