Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Pre-Season Fixtures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/pre-season-fixtures-31202.html)

shakermaker 04-06-2007 13:38

Pre-Season Fixtures

From Accrington Stanley:

<table style="width: 413px; height: 234px;" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="513"><tbody><tr><td>(a)</td> <td>Weds 11th July</td> <td>7:30 pm</td> <td>Clitheroe FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(h)</td> <td>Sat 14th July</td> <td>3:00 pm</td> <td>Burnley FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Tue 17th July</td> <td>7:30 pm</td> <td>New Mills FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Thur 19th July</td> <td>7:00 pm</td> <td>Barnoldswick Town FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Tue 24th July</td> <td>7:30 pm</td> <td>Brechin City FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Thur 26th July</td> <td>7:30 pm</td> <td>Arbroath FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Sat 28th July</td> <td>3:00 pm</td> <td>East Fife FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Tue 31st July</td> <td>7:45 pm</td> <td>Witton Albion FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Wed 1st August</td> <td>7:00 pm</td> <td>Squiresgate FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Sat 4th August</td> <td>3:00 pm</td> <td>Rossendale United FC</td></tr> <tr> <td>(a)</td> <td>Tue 7th August</td> <td>7:45 pm</td> <td>Burscough FC</td></tr></tbody></table>
So, only one home pre-season fixture confirmed & it doesn't look like there's room for any more.

I'm concerned that there's no real test for the players in these fixtures.
No disrespect to Burscough, but playing Conference North opposition 4 days before a League 2 side doesn't look like great preparation to me.

Time will tell.

Alvin the chipmunk 04-06-2007 13:53

Re: Pre-Season Fixtures

I disagree, Burscough will be a good test. However I am worried about the point of playing Barnoldswick who currently reside in the West Lancs League (below NWCL Div 2) to my knowledge.:confused:

SamF 04-06-2007 13:58

No real challenge and no-one around our level.

lancsdave 04-06-2007 14:06

Isn't the idea of pre-season friendlies to build up fitness and team play. If they become too competitive you run the risk of pre-season injury.

Besides you have 2 half games there against championship opposition :D:D

AccyRed 04-06-2007 15:56

Details for all the pre season games are now updated and added to the official site

www.accringtonstanley.co.uk

Tin Monkey 04-06-2007 16:59

Pretty poor line-up to be honest.

lancsdave 04-06-2007 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 432093)
Pretty poor line-up to be honest.

Presumably they aren't all intended for the first team are they. Will some of them not be for the reserve/youth team ?

Tin Monkey 04-06-2007 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432095)
Presumably they aren't all intended for the first team are they. Will some of them not be for the reserve/youth team ?

You would hope so.

maccawozzagod 04-06-2007 17:13

I dont care who we play, I rarely go to all the games and many people are the same. Wolverhampton Wanderers or Cardiff reserve teams are of no interest to me - the prices are always far too steep for a nothing game - and the pace of the game gives me no aspiration for the forthcoming season.

I'd sooner see us play half a dozen games against 'beatable' opposition, on their patch, paying a fiver, and watching the team get some kind of consistency together. I hope we have the same team playing every game with just a smattering of introductions as we go along, rather than a completely different 11 every game and 28 substitutions.

Lets gather some momentum and hit the ground running for the first time since the Unibond record breaking 9 game winning start.

Haz66 04-06-2007 18:23

I`m actually chuffed they are playing Barlick Town as its only about 500 yards from where i live plus you usually dont have to pay to get in so a double bonus.

Pendle Red 04-06-2007 18:51

I generally agree with Macca that it gives the team the chance to build up a bit of momentum. What about the OSC organising a sponsored Bike Ride to one of the games (preferably Barlick as it's only round the corner!)raise the profile of the OSC perhaps get some mugshots in the papers and a bit of free publicity as well as raising some cash and taking in the game as well?:)

harwood red 04-06-2007 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 432130)
I generally agree with Macca that it gives the team the chance to build up a bit of momentum. What about the OSC organising a sponsored Bike Ride to one of the games (preferably Barlick as it's only round the corner!)raise the profile of the OSC perhaps get some mugshots in the papers and a bit of free publicity as well as raising some cash and taking in the game as well?:)

Right who's got a tandem so I don't need to peddle?? :D

FELIX 04-06-2007 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432095)

Some of them are, yes. There will be a mixture of youths (both first and second years) and trialists, and members of the first team will undoubtedly benefit fitness-wise, from 90 minutes' match practice.

All these away games won't do our pitch any harm :)

lancsdave 04-06-2007 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by FELIX (Post 432155)
All these away games won't do our pitch any harm :)

Won't do the bank balance any harm either. :)

If opposition aren't available that are going to get enough people in for a friendly that covers the expenses of a match day then no point opening the ground. Problem these days is that most of the clubs higher up the league tend to clear off abroad for part of their pre-season training which doesn't leave much scope for arranging friendlies over here.

Oggy 04-06-2007 20:12

August 11th it is then. :smile8: