Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Wrexham game is the only must-win game now (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/wrexham-game-is-the-only-must-win-game-now-38265.html)

dabeast 02-04-2008 20:44

Wrexham game is the only must-win game now

Looking at the table after last night's games:

Wrexham must either win 3 and draw 3 games, or win 4 out of seven to finish above us, and IF we beat them at their gaff then they will have to win 5 out of the remaining 6

Mansfield need to make up 8 points on us in six games, which could be 1 win and 5 draws, 2 wins and 2 draws or 3 wins. However IF we beat Wrexham then Mansfield will need 11 points to overtake us, meaning they would need 4 wins or 3 wins and 2 draws out of six.

Mansfield's remaining games are:
Barnet(h), Stockport(a), Macclesfield(a), Shrewsbury(h), Rotherham(h), Dagenham(a)

Based on this I reckon we only need to beat Wrexham to guarantee league 2 status. Of course, a win on Friday will make it a whole lot easier. But we needent get down if it doesn't go our way!

Outback Ozzy 02-04-2008 22:50

Re: Wrexham game is the only must-win game now

Looking at Mansfield's run in, I can see them winning at least 3 if not 4 or 5 of those matches, so still squeeky bum time for Stanley fans. The main thing is for Stanley to beat D&R this Friday night (a match I cannot attend due to double booking). I believe Wrexham have gone this season, but I would not like Stanley to be in the mix again this season. This harks back to the late 50's and early 60's when we had to apply for re-election into the league. Lets get things sorted with the management and staff of Accrington Stanley and get behind the team from all corners of the ground. Good Luck to the team and lets keep on truckin up the league.

maccawozzagod 03-04-2008 00:05

beat D&R and put six points between us. That'll make it over bar the shouting. Even a draw would be there or thereabouts. A defeat would leave it perilous though.

Teams in the bottom three or four always manage more points than they average (over the season) in the last few games

Jimbo T Hornblower 03-04-2008 05:46

Macc last season are a case in point

Jimbo T :horn8:blower

maccawozzagod 03-04-2008 17:30

Acc last season are a case in point!

Chimer 03-04-2008 18:18

Notts County have got a pretty difficult run-in, provided Bury and Dale keep concentrating. If they don't beat us next week they will be in real trouble.

Outback Ozzy 04-04-2008 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 556780)
Notts County have got a pretty difficult run-in, provided Bury and Dale keep concentrating. If they don't beat us next week they will be in real trouble.

TBH, I can see Mansfield staying up and Nottzs County going down with their respective run ins.

carpon 04-04-2008 17:53

Being Grand National weekend, I'm of the opinion that We've got five big hurdles to negotiate, three of which are against sides who are fighting for their own league status. Three of these games at home and two of the final five against sides who, having reached comparitive safety may well just relax slightly.

In a season where our home form has been attrocious, I only hope the management emphasise the crucial importance of the final three home games and the lads can apply theirselves and pick up a couple of wins and a draw at home to get us accross the line to safety. :confused:

Wrexham and Notts County away should on paper be extremely tough games.Both will know that if they beat us and we continue to falter at home, they will both have a chance of catching us.With that in mind this emphasises the importance of the final three at home. For me these are the must win games.Win two from the home games and whatever happens at Meadow Lane or the Racecourse becomes academic.....we'll be safe.:)

Here's hoping the the first of the vital three home games brings three points tonight:D

Zero 07-04-2008 09:08

DUH
Every game is a must win or whats the effin point turning out ?
EH
Just the absolute bare minimum necessary to stay in this sorry league ?

depechemode 07-04-2008 18:57

Sod the rest we will draw at county win against barnet and tub wrexham 3.0 and watch their relagation party from the stands .. il be there , any1 else going ???

MikeA 07-04-2008 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 558451)
Every game is a must win or whats the effin point turning out ?

I totally agree - and I'm sure Coley would too. If midweek matches go our way then a win at County would guarantee league football next year and a better finish than last year. We'd then have three more games to improve our position.