Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Asfc redz (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/asfc-redz-47986.html)

Revived Red 20-06-2009 08:21

Asfc redz

I'm really sorry about this because I'm going to appear to be pedantic, but I really do not like the name ASFC REDZ.

People constantly bemoan declining standards of English in general and spelling in particular, and it seems that we are setting a poor example to our young supporters by the use of REDZ. I know we want to appear youthful and trendy, but sorry, I just do not like it.:(

Redraine 20-06-2009 08:41

Re: Asfc redz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 723309)
I'm really sorry about this because I'm going to appear to be pedantic, but I really do not like the name ASFC REDZ.

People constantly bemoan declining standards of English in general and spelling in particular, and it seems that we are setting a poor example to our young supporters by the use of REDZ. I know we want to appear youthful and trendy, but sorry, I just do not like it.:(

Where have you seen this abomination?

Revived Red 20-06-2009 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 723313)
Where have you seen this abomination?

On the club's website in the note about "Fundraising Event", and in Pendle Red's post in the Carnival thread.

Tin Monkey 20-06-2009 08:48

I thought it was only me swimming against the tide. ;)

Revived Red 20-06-2009 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 723315)
I thought it was only me swimming against the tide. ;)

It's a strong tide, but let's keep swimming.

Oggy 20-06-2009 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 723309)
... I know we want to appear youthful and trendy, but sorry ...

It doesn't even do that, dated and wrong, to my mind. :o

cashman 20-06-2009 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggy (Post 723329)
It doesn't even do that, dated and wrong, to my mind. :o

was thinking the same, dated as "Noddy Holder":rolleyes:

Oggy 20-06-2009 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 723331)
was thinking the same, dated as "Noddy Holder":rolleyes:

Yes, I was thinking, "boutique", "unisex", and "discotheque". ;)

LongLostSon 20-06-2009 09:46

Nah ! it ain't just yo, Revived Red. Us who woz brought up to talk proper alwayz find modern style to be more akin to graffitti than yer Dickens. Eeee, Miss Yates at Springhill would have dun me carnage if I'd got a coma out of place !

MikeA 20-06-2009 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLostSon (Post 723338)
Nah ! it ain't just yo, Revived Red. Us who woz brought up to talk proper alwayz find modern style to be more akin to graffitti than yer Dickens. Eeee, Miss Yates at Springhill would have dun me carnage if I'd got a coma out of place !

Surely you mean 'would OF dun me carnage'. :)

maccawozzagod 20-06-2009 12:09

... then the connoisseurs amongst us probably won't like the 'soccer' schools we are running during the holidays? :rolleyes:

cashman 20-06-2009 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 723360)
... then the connoisseurs amongst us probably won't like the 'soccer' schools we are running during the holidays? :rolleyes:

nowt to do wi that macca, more to do wi the impression the name gives,if the object is to attract folk.:rolleyes:

Oggy 20-06-2009 12:47

Quote:

Soccer - reasonable colloquialism for those whose first sport isn't association football, e.g. the colonies, public school etc. (Disambiguation)

I'm sure you often played soccer in your youth Macca, or was rugger your game? ;)

Th'owd Redz - it's just wrong. :)

Revived Red 20-06-2009 15:29

Quote:

The spelling of soccer is correct so children seeing that are more likely to spell it correctly.

Sorry, Macca - you have missed the point. It is nothing to do with being "connoisseurs". I assume that you want your children to have good literary skills. Every bad example presented to them makes it that bit more difficult for them to acquire those skills.

ukcowboy 20-06-2009 15:44

RR, I know exactly what you mean,and if Im honest I agree with you.

Unfortunatley,however, we appear to live in a society that encourages all of us to 'take shortcuts' in order to get on.............and that includes the 'bastardisation' (SP) of the English Language................very sad,but alas true and its becoming the norm rather too quickly for me!

Maybe its an 'age' related thing, or maybe Im just a grumpy old fart :)............no reply needed!!