Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Change of Crest (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/change-of-crest-51894.html)

Pendle Red 20-02-2010 16:29

Change of Crest

Reading the Programme Notes of the Commercial Department in Today's Programme made me squirm slightly with the looking and re-branding of the Stanley Crest, which will be launched at the last Home game of the season along with next season's away strip.

There have been some horrors in the Footballing re-branding depatments of other Clubs in recent years.

Maybe the Club should let the fans decide?

There is History & Heritage at stake

shakermaker 20-02-2010 16:36

Re: Change of Crest

No no no no no no no no no no no no no.

The crest is what it should be after being changed about ten years ago. Leave it, please.

There was a bit of embroidery inbetween the Joma loga and crest on the shirts today, anyone know what that was?

lancsdave 20-02-2010 17:51

Has it been simplified by any chance ?

sherry 20-02-2010 20:02

1. Consult the supporters :)

2. If a "yes" or "Maybe"
a) DON'T pay for ONE design :tongueout
b) Have a competition for ideas. (There are talented people out there! :cool: )

3. Let all who are interested vote to result in a final decision. :D

Wynonie Harris 20-02-2010 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 789709)
No no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Totally agree, Shakey; the current crest is based on the old Accrington coat of arms AS IT SHOULD BE!

Reading the marketing goobledegook in the programme from the commercial department fills me with foreboding, when they start throwing around vacuous phrases like this: "improve the brand's imperviousness". It's not a brand like some washing machine powder, it's the crest of one of the UK's most historic clubs.

If they go ahead with this halfwitted idea, I won't be buying one single item of merchandise featuring the new "brand", no matter how "impervious" it is. :mad:

maccawozzagod 21-02-2010 00:44

i agree WH

nige b 21-02-2010 01:40

anyone seen the new morecambe badge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAV007 21-02-2010 06:41

Posted via Mobile Device i disagree, if they keep the core theme of the existing badge but modernise it to make it more simplistic and attractive i cant see a problem. The club are finally understanding how to market the stanley name and brand, a tidy up/re-vamp is a good thing.

Pendle Red 21-02-2010 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 789889)
Posted via Mobile Device i disagree, if they keep the core theme of the existing badge but modernise it to make it more simplistic and attractive i cant see a problem. The club are finally understanding how to market the stanley name and brand, a tidy up/re-vamp is a good thing.

So if it were to change and you had bought this season's exsisting new home shirt, then it had a changed crest would you keep up with the Jones's and buy the slightly newer changed one?

lancsdave 21-02-2010 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 789927)
So if it were to change and you had bought this season's exsisting new home shirt, then it had a changed crest would you keep up with the Jones's and buy the slightly newer changed one?

Not a good argument seeing that people possibly bought the home shirt one week during the season and a new one came out the week after ;)

Out of curiosity which badge is changing, there seem to be several versions of it in current use ?

Wynonie Harris 21-02-2010 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 789889)

"core theme", "imperviousness", "brand", how long before we start banging on about "mission statements" in this headlong descent into third rate marketing bull?

You don't "tidy up" a piece of history - you preserve it and take pride in it!

loweiy 21-02-2010 09:07

I am all for tradition and having heard Morecambe say this year that they changed because they could not get copyright on a town crest I was upset at yet another loss to the world of cash.

However I have had some design work done by Acedmey print and they are superb, they understood exactly what I wanted and I have every faith in them to come up with the right blend to keep us all happy.

I do think that we as fans should get the final say and I am sure the new team at the club will ensure this happens as why would you cheese off all the people who you want to sell the stuff to?

Loweiy
P.S not an advert for Acedemy but I was blown away by how good they were

Stephen666 21-02-2010 09:15

Looks like some people may soon have out of date tattos :(

lancsdave 21-02-2010 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by loweiy (Post 789959)
I am all for tradition and having heard Morecambe say this year that they changed because they could not get copyright on a town crest I was upset at yet another loss to the world of cash.

However I have had some design work done by Acedmey print and they are superb, they understood exactly what I wanted and I have every faith in them to come up with the right blend to keep us all happy.

I do think that we as fans should get the final say and I am sure the new team at the club will ensure this happens as why would you cheese off all the people who you want to sell the stuff to?

Loweiy
P.S not an advert for Acedemy but I was blown away by how good they were

The first sentence is a very important issue regarding the merchandise side of the club. You can't protect your brand if you can't copyright it.

The current design is an absolute nightmare for merchandise. In some ways it actually does the club a favour because most of the copy companies won't even bother trying to do it, but the other side of the coin means the club are actually restricted as to what merchandise can be done with a complex piece of artwork.

Is there not room for the traditional badge to be used in some areas of the club, ie official documents etc, and then another logo to be used by the commercial/retail side of the club ?

Wynonie Harris 21-02-2010 09:27

Academy Print may indeed be an excellent design agency, but that's not the point. We're not talking about a logo for a local plumbers or car company - we're talking about the historic crest of our town football club.

And why should it be modified or simplified anyway? The printing companies who reproduce it on programmes and mugs, the embroiderers who stitch it onto shirts and scarves don't have any problem with it. So what's the point of changing it?

By all means, expand the range of club merchandise, establish new outlets, promote it in imaginative ways, but DO NOT meddle with Stanley's history. It will bring no benefit whatsoever and will only cause a backlash from the fans.