Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   MAtch thread vs Burton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/match-thread-vs-burton-52407.html)

dabeast 23-03-2010 18:41

MAtch thread vs Burton

Boco on bench for the Brewers. Grant starts along with Kee. All according to BEEB

sparkie 23-03-2010 18:54

Re: MAtch thread vs Burton

dean winnard booked within 2 mins, nice to see Russell 'card happy' Booth back to ref us again!!!

chrismuller 23-03-2010 18:57

is it on the radio?

LongLostSon 23-03-2010 19:00

Hiya folks - wonder where the Accy rollercoaster is heading tonight ?
By the way, Sparkie, any news on the Coll. girls result yesterday ?

expatriate 23-03-2010 19:00

sparkie you will have to keep us in touch. where are you ? at the game ??

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:01

no i'm on bbc live text + updates from folk at the game, accy mad and uk cowboy will have to take the credit for it i'm afraid.

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:03

Unfortunately the college girls lost yesterday, I think it was 4-1 in the end. They put up a real fight in the second half but it wasn't to be :(

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:07

Update from Accymad is that we're not very good so far, got no shape to us and everyone wants to be in midfield!!

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:10

0-1 Shaun Harrad

chrismuller 23-03-2010 19:11

0-1

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:18

other scores in league 2 after 30 mins are as follows:

bradford 0 - 0 notts county
darlo 0 - 1 aldershot
rotherham 1 - 1 macc

on live table we're down to 13th

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:23

apparently we're starting to get it together a bit now, starting to get shots on target.

LongLostSon 23-03-2010 19:24

thank goodness, at least we can't go 2 - 0 up again - can't find the smilies so just pretend I've punctuated with a giggle.

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:27

Well we've had the ball in the net but ruled out for offside

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:34

half time

and the scores on the doors are the same as before but aldershot are now 2 up

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:46

and we're back underway

sparkie 23-03-2010 19:54

Luke joyce into the book

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:03

and the wandering hero returns (unfortunatly on the wrong side!!)

Rommy on for burton :(

MikeA 23-03-2010 20:03

Rommy on as sub!

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:05

Gary King on for Andy Proctor

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:11

Okay tonight's is a very strange game of football indeed, John Miles just headed the football!!!

I think I'm in shock!!!

Grimps 23-03-2010 20:13

come on accy .... need 3pts for the play off push

Nickelson 23-03-2010 20:16

lose this and we can forget about play offs in my opinion.

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:18

Coley is going for it Tom Lees off Sean Mc on

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:20

0-2 Greg Pearson. Phil edwards mistake closely followed by Bavs. Pearson's last touch of the ball before being subbed

Nickelson 23-03-2010 20:21

Damn, 2BR mentioned shirt pulling ARGH !

redder 23-03-2010 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickelson (Post 799705)
lose this and we can forget about play offs in my opinion.

Think you are right Nick. Unf***ing believable.

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:35

apparently the ref hasn't been good but we can't blame him for this result, we've just played rubbish. Everyone looks knackered and we look like we miss Symesy.

sparkie 23-03-2010 20:36

game over and we've dropped to 13th.

david1 23-03-2010 20:38

Yet another game in hand we have failed to get the points .

LongLostSon 23-03-2010 20:40

By the time I'd reached my teens my family had moved south. At youth club we played a board game called Wembly and of course I always entered as the Stanley. Never did reach Wembly. This year I'm hoping to get a holiday and have timed it to be back for the playoffs - I know yon fat lady hasn't finished her song but starting to look like this might not be a Wembly year after all. Funny how 50+ years on these weird memories flood back. Goodnight folks - hoping to be at Bournemouth on Saturday.

Div3North 23-03-2010 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLostSon (Post 799713)
.... we played a board game called Wembly .......

That's a blast from the past; I had that game (hundreds of years ago)

:D

Amazing what you forget, isn't it ..............

new red 23-03-2010 21:12

What a terrible performance tonight. We needed to play wide tonight but no one wanted the job. No crosses into the box at all. Changes need to be made for saturday. Why use McConville on right wing when we have Turner. King should have replaced Kee who looked knackered after 15 mins . I think we can now wave bye bye to play off dream. we just didnt turn up tonight.

smudgie 23-03-2010 21:30

The entire team looked knackered simple as.
Shows how much we missed Symes tonight.

Looks like the season is finally catching up with us.

Good to see King get on for the 1st time in ages and made some decent runs.

Yet again Turner benched without a minute to show :( :( ??????

Glad im not going Bournemouth to be honest.

shakermaker 23-03-2010 21:35

We might as well have forfeited the game before kick-off instead of putting the fans through 94 minutes of that garbage. We gift-wrapped three points for Albion tonight with a tragically uninspiring performance. The team had no shape from the off. Jimmy Ryan worked his socks off but to no avail. Bobby Grant is clearly unfit and shouldn't have played. In fact all of our players looked knackered. Playing on that heavy pitch won't be helping matters either. Tom Lees picked up an injury to his wrist that looked painful. Gary King had the chance to stake his claim with a free header but made a complete hash of it. No positives to take from that at all. If the lads could've matched even half of the energy levels of the few in the Clayton End we'd have easily won that game.

In a word, pants.

cashman 23-03-2010 22:06

worst display ive seen this season, Burton were poor,we were worse, ball played up in air due to conditions no doubt, but with 2 short arses up front, forget it. thought Grant was auditioning fer the "Invisible Man" he was very poor tonight. play -offs - Gone Fer A Burton :rolleyes: but aint too despondant, cos if they lose every game till end of season, its STILL the best season stanley have had since there return.

fc:stanley 23-03-2010 22:22

No passion at all by the players! And by most of them their was no effort at all!

Why is Mcconville being played instead of Turner? Turner clearly has the ability, unlike him!! For the times Turner has come on hes played really good and has also been superb, unlike Mcconville, who always look like he cant be assed and never looks to put any team under pressure or make a difference.

Their was no belief tonight and most of the team looked absolutely knackered!!! Im guessing thats why proccy was taken off???

Burton must be laughing!!!

Anyways back to Saturday!! The promotion push i think is off , but a top half finish would be a great finish to a great season!

On Stanley On! :)

cashman 23-03-2010 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by fc:stanley (Post 799733)
No passion at all by the players! And by most of them their was no effort at all!

Why is Mcconville being played instead of Turner? Turner clearly has the ability, unlike him!!

Think that question should be directed at "Uncle Jimmy":D

Kiwi John 24-03-2010 02:43

A very belated *&%^*(&%#!$#!$%@!$%^*&@!%$#&(( :(

Pendle Red 24-03-2010 05:20

Stanley were the ones suffering on the night with "Brewers Droop":eek:

theresonlyoneaccy 24-03-2010 06:08

Another poor performance in a time where it really matters ... it's a good job anyway because I couldn't afford Wembley.

new red 24-03-2010 06:40

Very poor overall performance. To think most of the team are playing for new contracts they showed no passion . Cannot understand why we play unfit players. Grant looked a shadow of himself and if he is injured why play him why not start with King. There are options. hope we dont lay down and die now the play offs have drifted almost out of sight.

afrikaaner 24-03-2010 08:07

I was on the clayton end last night,94 mins of torture,only 2 things stood out,Kempson by far the best player,he deserved the man of the match,and the ultras who sang their hearts out.Why wasn't chris turner played from the start or at least brought on in the second half.Burton were poor but their back row gobbled up anything that was thrown at them,****e officials didn't help either.On the whole a thoroughly terrible day at the office.Strange how heading towards the final hurdle and the horse seems to be refusing to jump the last fence so to speak.Sadly the play offs are slipping away from accy,but a good season on the whole.

SamF 24-03-2010 09:02

Bloody hell there aint half some drama queens about. We win the game in hand we are two points from the play off spots with 9 games to go. Just going by th fact that the play off pack will play each other in those 9 games dictates that points will be dropped by all teams. To be honest I don't really care if we make the playoffs, I don't think we are a play off quality side but we did have a hot streak and it has given us a great chance - to write us off now would be madness.

cashman 24-03-2010 09:08

disagree sam, think stanley are good enough to reach play-offs, n as fer not caring if they reach em, thats stupid, the cash generated by em would be a great help, think they will just fail to reach em though now, due to squad size, if they aint good enough NAME 7 sides ya have seen better this season? i can only see 1.

redder 24-03-2010 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 799775)
disagree sam, think stanley are good enough to reach play-offs, n as fer not caring if they reach em, thats stupid, the cash generated by em would be a great help, think they will just fail to reach em though now, due to squad size, if they aint good enough NAME 7 sides ya have seen better this season? i can only see 1.

I agree with you Cash wholeheartedly. Rochdale in my opinion is the only team that has totally outplayed us.

Outback Ozzy 24-03-2010 10:00

I'm with others on this subject. Last night was pants. But to not care about the play-offs is unforgivable. If we make it - fantastic, if we don't - best season in the league since returning 4 years ago.
Must admit, I did something I have only once done before last night, I did the Wigan walk rather than suffer in the traffic chaos after the end of the match. Hopefully a different team will turn up at Bournemouth on Saturday and the pitch at the Crown will be 100% better next Tuesday against Barnet and the rain will stay away from Accrington, not too much to ask is it?

SamF 24-03-2010 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by redder (Post 799778)
I agree with you Cash wholeheartedly. Rochdale in my opinion is the only team that has totally outplayed us.

It isn't about starting 11 against starting 11 though is it. Where we have one loan player to cover both Symes and Grant other play off teams have a third and fourth striker. Whereas we have to play the same exhausted players week in week out others have a squad with competition for places.

Starting 11 against starting 11 on our day we can beat anyone, but it aint the way things go. We are losing games due to suspensions and fatigue because we don't have the squad of a play off side.

And Cash as to the not caring about play offs I now realise I could have worded myself a bit better - the money raised from a playoff run would be fantastic as would the days out for the fans. My fear is if we actually won promotion, which we would have a good chance of doing given our cup form with this squad, attendances would plummet when we start losing everyweek again. We as a club are not ready for a promotion and a few more years of being up and about the promotion places of League 2 would do us more good than a year getting thrashed in League 1.

Outback Ozzy 24-03-2010 10:10

Why is everyone going on about tired players? They only work for 90 minutes plus any time added on for one or two (maximum) days per week. Wish I could have a job like that. Yes they have to train and yes I know heavy pitches play a part, but jeez, what is the recovery time after a match - are we saying over 7 days!

cashman 24-03-2010 10:30

my idea of a perfect scenario sam, is to reach the play off final,end of. the money generated would hopefully enable coley to make additions, to my mind all we lack is streangth in depth.

Exile on Spencer St 24-03-2010 11:26

Talking of strength in depth, what was the point of bringing in McCarten? Admittedly since he came on the scene the back four have continued to play well (maybe that was the point). Hoped to see what he was made of at Barnet, but he wasn't needed. Ditto Rotherham. He might have been sent on against Rochdale, but the dam burst so quickly there was no point or time to shore up the defence. And last night he wasn't even on the bench.
Is he not someone's nephew?

Redraine 24-03-2010 12:23

What a bad night! Having carefully negotiated the dark, slippery metal steps down behind the Crown I glanced up at the floodlights and promptly tripped over a bloody big traffic cone which some berk had left in the way. Next thing I knew, two kind gentlemen were trying to haul me to my feet, but I was hurting a lot and wanted to stay down to recover. I must have banged my ribs on the base of the upturned cone and also received cracks on each leg. After a bit I staggered onto the Clayton end after assuring the good samaritans that I didn't need first aid, but I was feeling awful. I couldn't give my usual vocal support to the Ultras all night, but they sure didn't need it! Driving home was agony and I went straight to bed with a couple of pain-killers, with Mrs Red's admonishment for not missing the game and going straight to hospital! Feeling much better today, thank God, so long as I don't laugh, cough or sneeze.
Oh yes - the game. Largely forgettable apart from the amazing Ultras, but I though Gary King was unlucky with his header - not quite the free header which Shaker describes, plus we had two good shouts for handball penalties in the second half. No Chris Turner again - UNBELIEVABLE!
Many thanks again to the two guys who came to my rescue, whoever you are. What about an extra floodlight for that area at the Crown steps though? I remember Choirboy coming a cropper on the steps not so long ago.

shakermaker 24-03-2010 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy
Why is everyone going on about tired players? They only work for 90 minutes plus any time added on for one or two (maximum) days per week. Wish I could have a job like that. Yes they have to train and yes I know heavy pitches play a part, but jeez, what is the recovery time after a match - are we saying over 7 days!

It is not a surprise to see the players exhausted; just look at how many of our starting xi from last night have completed a full season in the football league before:-

Dunbavin? Nope.
Lees? Nope.
Edwards? Yes.
Kempson? Nope.
Winnard? Nope.
Ryan? Yes, but only for the first time last season.
Joyce? Nope.
Procter? Yes.
Miles? Sort of; he only turns up for 90 minutes per season.
Grant? No.
Kee? No.

It's the curse of having such a young squad. Not only are they struggling with fitness towards the end of the season, but it's tougher for them to prepare psychologically for the next game after a defeat like Saturday's, purely due to inexperience. This also adds to the inconsistency that's seen us flounder each time we come within sniffing distance of the play-offs.

Whether it's justified or not the entire team looked pooped last night and Coley will have to explore what we've got on the bench to get us through the next few games.

JEFF 24-03-2010 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 799793)
It isn't about starting 11 against starting 11 though is it. Where we have one loan player to cover both Symes and Grant other play off teams have a third and fourth striker. Whereas we have to play the same exhausted players week in week out others have a squad with competition for places.

Starting 11 against starting 11 on our day we can beat anyone, but it aint the way things go. We are losing games due to suspensions and fatigue because we don't have the squad of a play off side.

Bournemouth are up there and they have only had 20 players all season as they are still on a transfer embargo. They seem to be doing OK with their squad of exhausted players week in week out. No doubt we will find out on Saturday.

smudgie 24-03-2010 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 799793)
We as a club are not ready for a promotion and a few more years of being up and about the promotion places of League 2 would do us more good than a year getting thrashed in League 1.

In a nutshell spot on.

Whilst we were all dreaming of the playoff's, considering what has happened this season ill be more than happy with a mid table finish.

Yes its disappointing to lose especially so badly last night, but honestly I dont think theres alot Coley can do looking at our sub options (who he obviously doesnt rate)

King (Has hardly kicked a ball this season but lookes decent to me)
Mcconville (Not good enough yet IMO, could be 1 for the future)
Mullin (1 sub apperance, last season for John im afraid)
Turner (Bad injury early in the season but SURELY must be playing more)
Flynn (Looks a great prospect but hasnt played hardly)
Mccarten (See Flynn)
Murphy (No good enough for me im afraid)

Willie Miller 24-03-2010 14:16

I wholeheartedly agree too....

Division 4 for me, till we are plus 2,000 home fans

vicburdett 24-03-2010 14:17

i would have to say last night was a big loss to a poor team,prob the worst result all season,but i half expected for reasons which ive said before,as for dale sat i thought we were the best team for 60 mins,their defence could,nt cope with our forwards,and when they got bodies forward our defence could,nt cope with theres,there are 30 points to play for and everyone beating everyone else.a point on sat and hopefully 3 on tuesday and were right back in it.it could go to the last game.

Exile on Spencer St 24-03-2010 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicburdett (Post 799852)
i would have to say last night was a big loss to a poor team,prob the worst result all season,

Wasn't there but could it have been worse than the performance at Hereford? I'd hoped that was the all time low of the season.

Pendle Red 24-03-2010 17:53

The Cobblers have done us twice scoring seven into the process while concending none

Bournemouth have beaten us at the Crown and will prove a stern test for us this Saturday

These two in my mind play to their strengths which are pass & move the ball quickly from one end of the pitch to the other whilst defending in numbers, they are hard to break down but still play good football.

Fitness to be fair should be tip top at this level, they are proffessional footballers it's also about how you prepare, the shape, the formation, looking at opposition's charecteristics how to break them down, how do they attack, how do they defend, who is the key players, who is marking who, set pieces Training Ground stuff.

I still think that the midfield is a problem area with three being Proccy, Joyce & Ryan all good players but those three with Miles wide just does not work, for it to work Joyce has to play a sweeper role in front of the back four with Turner on the Right, Miles/Grant on the Left, Procter & Ryan in the centre and one up top as a lone striker, with the wide men tracking back & bombing forward along with the two central midfielders surging forward.

There are still players on the Bench who can make a difference, the problem is you can use them from the start and they sink or swim or try bring them on as subs to use as impact subs which is a very big ask of anyone given twenty minutes to shine.

Substitutions are more for tactical benefits like changing the shape, shoring up at the back, cover for injuries, giving more width and replacing knackered players.

The Play-Offs are still there for the Reds just need to get back to the basics and do what they do well and move the ball about simply, whilst working for each other.

As for the Play-Offs being too early nonsense!

Redraine 24-03-2010 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 799909)
Wasn't there but could it have been worse than the performance at Hereford? I'd hoped that was the all time low of the season.

I wasn't at Hereford but I don't think we were as bad as some people have reported. At times we did play some good football without much end product, and as for our players not being passionate enough - RUBBISH.
Nobody has yet given any credit to Burton, who I thought were very strong and mobile in defence, and in Harrad and Pearson had two front men of high quality. You don't need that many chances when you have those two guys up front.

vicburdett 24-03-2010 18:06

hereford was bad but that was away,last night we were at home, which makes it worse in my eyes.

Scott_ASFC 25-03-2010 00:12

last night we was rubbish, we just didnt seem to get going and IMHO i dont think that grant and kee work up front... and i didnt get why he put mconville on at 1-0 down as he has shown in the past that he is unable to make any inpact on the game what so ever... does coleman not like chris turner or is it because he is not from near the river mersey as he does'nt seem to get a look in the side when he is our best winger by far. Also the teal looked very tired from last nights display and we are makin stupid mistakes at the back. have we just signed a defender on loan??? why not use him he might come in handy

well anyway rant over... 3 points at bournmouth will be nice

ON STANLEY ON

Revived Red 25-03-2010 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 799916)
I wasn't at Hereford but I don't think we were as bad as some people have reported. At times we did play some good football without much end product, and as for our players not being passionate enough - RUBBISH.
Nobody has yet given any credit to Burton, who I thought were very strong and mobile in defence, and in Harrad and Pearson had two front men of high quality. You don't need that many chances when you have those two guys up front.

At Hereford, we were every bit as bad as reported.

Although many of us may want to imagine otherwise, our squad is NOT good enough for the play off places. If it were good enough, we would have beaten Macclesfield (twice), Torquay and Burton at least in recent weeks.

The issue of fatigue is being raised. We know that Coley has been reluctant to use substitutes. Why? Does he feel that the players on the bench are not good enough? To have used them could have given a chance for some players to be rested for the latter part of a game.

The underuse of Chris Turner is quite astonishing.

Other teams seem to have the ability to pass the ball into space knowing which players will be running on to it. We are not doing that. Stanley players look up and seek to pass to a player every time. That gives the opposition the opportunity to cover and even intercept as happened so often on Tuesday. To my mind, the problem on Tuesday was not the weather or the referee (both bad) nor the missing Michael Symes, but disorganisation. How often did we see two, sometimes three, Stanley players going for the same ball? How much variety do we ever see at throw-ins?

Pendle Red 25-03-2010 17:50

I know it's not linked to us but a refreshingly different approach for a PL Chairman:

Message from the Chairman | News | Latest News | News | West Ham United

vicburdett 25-03-2010 19:18

if michael symes would have played we would not have lost that game,it is as simple as that,

MCR ADIM 25-03-2010 19:32

Is he going to be here next year though! i really hope he is, as we will do really well if is does stay, as we will get stronger and stronger

Pendle Red 25-03-2010 19:36

I think David Blaine would have struggled on Tuesday to conjure anything up for the Reds

VALAIRIAN 25-03-2010 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicburdett (Post 800289)
if michael symes would have played we would not have lost that game,it is as simple as that,

Strange theory!!!!?????

Redraine 25-03-2010 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 800232)
At Hereford, we were every bit as bad as reported.

Not that it matters, but I didn't mean we were not as bad as reported at Hereford. I meant we were not as bad as reported by some on Tuesday. Still think we should give credit to Burton. It really pees me off when we win away and all the home fans can do is rubbish their own team instead of acknowledging Stanley's part in the victory. It works both ways!

cashman 25-03-2010 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 800316)
Not that it matters, but I didn't mean we were not as bad as reported at Hereford. I meant we were not as bad as reported by some on Tuesday.

Think the fall banged yer head mate.:rofl38::rofl38:;)

Scott_ASFC 26-03-2010 02:25

Quote:

if michael symes would have played we would not have lost that game,it is as simple as that
we can't depend on one player, As good as he is, he is out for 2 more games and we have to deal with it. IMHO i dont think we will get play-offs now and we deffo wont go down so why no try new things instead of the same thing and same team. could change things round a little bit.... just a thought :D

Redraine 26-03-2010 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800318)
Think the fall banged yer head mate.:rofl38::rofl38:;)

You may be right.:(

Exile on Spencer St 26-03-2010 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 800232)
Other teams seem to have the ability to pass the ball into space knowing which players will be running on to it. We are not doing that. Stanley players look up and seek to pass to a player every time. That gives the opposition the opportunity to cover and even intercept as happened so often on Tuesday.

Well observed.
Since Roberts passed on (contractually speaking) in the games I've seen Stanley appear rarely willing to pass the ball and then run forward into the space behind defenders, yet it's the oldest and simplest trick in the world. Stanley play a tight, one touch game where they try and squeeze play and get players as close to one another as possible; like in their warm up routine. Look where Stanley's other wide player is whenever the ball is down the opposite wing - usually 'marking' the full back in the middle of the pitch so, if he ever gets the ball, he has little space in which to use it. They play to where their players are not where the space is.
Rochdale figured it out for the second half and sprayed the ball across the width of the pitch, thereby stretching Stanley and opening up holes.
What I can't figure out is whether Coley (like some other world famous managers afore him) just doesn't like wingers who can get behind defenders or simply thinks he doesn't have the players who can play that way.
But, pretty though Stanley's intricate midfield passing and possession can be, sometimes the game cries out for simple triangular passes where the object is to get behind the ball and attacker into the open space behind the full back.