Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   If we had a defence we would be top of the league (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/if-we-had-a-defence-we-would-be-top-of-the-league-5636.html)

JEFF 22-09-2004 09:02

If we had a defence we would be top of the league

Another game of desparate defending and no organisation. When will we ever learn and get the defence sorted out. Oh well, they saved me a tenner through not keeping a clean sheet.

Smiffy16 22-09-2004 09:37

Re: If we had a defence we would be top of the league

Moan moan moan..........

Fearon1 22-09-2004 09:38

Thats all he ever does

KIPAX 22-09-2004 09:41

It's an observation and some would say a fair one..

JEFF 22-09-2004 09:42

Do you not think that there is something to moan about after last night's and last Saturday's performances, or are you happy with the way we played. Why don't you look at the performances realisticaly. Do you think that the crowds are going to improve after these sort of performances, no way, and by the way 'If we had a defence we would be top of the league' is a statement not a moan.

KIPAX 22-09-2004 09:46

Fearon and smiffy... Why not debate the point he has made with your reasond arguments against his observation rather than just insult.

For example

Rightly or wrongly after one full game and a bit last night I have done a complete turn aroud and would have Smith in from the start.. I stand by my views that he wasn't up to it at the start of the season for whatever reason.. But I think he is now.

Cook is an insperation and can turn a game when he comes on for the last 20/15 or 10 but I dont' think he should be on from the start.. Thats just another opinion based on the games seen.

I have no idea why Rory isn't on from the start for every game.. there could be reasons other than tactics.... fully fit? recoverd from injuries I dunno..

Fearon1 22-09-2004 09:49

well anyone could say that, Norwich could say IF we had a defence we would win the premiership, so you be realistic and stop ifs and buts. Anyone can say if, Leeds could say IF we had a defence we would not have been relegated.

Smiffy16 22-09-2004 09:52

I agree this is a forum and everyone should have their own opinions...this doesn't mean we have to agree with these opinions........

Everything you said KIPAX commenting on the players eg. Cooky's full game etc i agree on.....

I'm not saying JEFF isnt entitled to his own opinion but for heavens sake lighten up we are second in the league!

Whalley Red 22-09-2004 10:18

We have just played two teams who finished in the relegation zone last year and are favourites to do so again in May. On Saturday, we're playing a team that has won five of their last seven matches. The silly mistakes at the back will have to be stopped for the game or we will be punished far more effectively than in the last two games. With Barnet playing away to Scarborough, we have a good chance of going top of the league on Saturday, but only if the defence play as well as they did before the last four days.

AccyMad 22-09-2004 10:31

I don't want to tempt fate but when we play the 'better' teams, we do usually raise our game & play a lot better than when we play the teams at the bottom of the league. I'm sure the lads will be up for it on Saturday even though their confidence must have taken a fair old knock last night.

southernred 22-09-2004 10:57

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, BUT here goes.

Was at Gravesend last night. Don't want to say to much until I have passed on info to the management team, but unless we can combat three extreamly quick and skillful forwards we will have problems on Saturday.

The good news is their defence is far from convincing and Chris Moore of Dagenham could have scored four! As well as his goal he hit the bar twice and should have had a penalty.

Gravesend also missed numerous gilt edged chances and a 5-3 score would have been more reflective of the game.

Maybe we should be all have more faith in our management team who are trying to blend together the right defensive unit; injuries permitting.

KIPAX 22-09-2004 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernred
The good news is their defence is far from convincing and Chris Moore of Dagenham could have scored four! As well as his goal he hit the bar twice and should have had a penalty.

Sounds like we could be in for a high scoring game :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernred
Maybe we should be all have more faith in our management team who are trying to blend together the right defensive unit; injuries permitting.

Maybe we all already do have faith in them.. Maybe we just like talking football...

FFS :( are we only allowed to say nice and pretty things in here without everyone jumping on our backs... what shall we do? talk about knitting and eat prawn butties?

JEFF 22-09-2004 11:11

Smiffy and Fearon. I am making observations, you say if Norwich had a defence they would win the Premier League, if Norwich had a defence they would win **** all.

We have proved that we can score goals, we must have the best midfield in the league but our defence is not good enough.

I asked you a question - are you happy with the way we played last Saturday and last night or do you not wish to express an opinion in case anybody accuses you of moaning.

Smiffy, Fearon give us your opinion instead of slagging off other people.

Smiffy "moan, moan, moan"
Fearon "Thats all he ever does"

Are you two on here to discuss me, or are you on here to discuss Stanley, and maybe come up with something constructive ? If people took offence to your remarks and stopped posting on this forum there would be nobody left. Can we not have a discussion about Stanley without being personally critisised ?

JEFF 22-09-2004 12:33

At least I have put my money where my mouth is by pledging £10.00 for every league game in which we keep a clean sheet. Come on Smiffy & Fearon why not pledge £10.00 for every league game in which we do not keep a clean sheet. Fearon - I see you have a good pledge - £500 for an Eric Whalley hat trick - no chance, and £2.00 for every goal Danny Alcock scores (Isn't Danny Alcock our substitute goalkeeper) - not much chance of having to pay anything there then is there.

Willie Miller 22-09-2004 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad
I don't want to tempt fate but when we play the 'better' teams, we do usually raise our game & play a lot better than when we play the teams at the bottom of the league. I'm sure the lads will be up for it on Saturday even though their confidence must have taken a fair old knock last night.

Exactly, we are going up, say, we are going up

Keep the faith, it could be worse - you could've got beat against Burton last night like Barnet did

Calm down & KEEP THE FAITH (There's not much wrong if we have 19 points after 9 games) Remember where we were last season at this time

There is not much better than us in this league & with luck, hard work, a better standard of refs & an experienced centre half (thats for JEFF) we will be promoted

JASE

qualtrough 22-09-2004 13:58

Good man,Kipax! Whilst I've considered Smithy should have been a regular in the team all along he won't be able, alone, to wave a magic defensive wand and everything will be perfect. An experienced central defender from league 1 or 2 is still essential to play alongside the lad and help him become an even better player than he currently is. Certainly, appearances alongside the unduly favoured R.Willaims will achieve nothing in that respect.

Fearon1 22-09-2004 14:27

JEFF, why dont u start looking at the positives instead of the negatives all the time. We are 2nd in the league for crying out loud.

Wynonie Harris 22-09-2004 14:50

Are you really? I thought you were 14th.

JEFF 22-09-2004 15:19

Fearon - Twice I have asked you a question - "are you happy with the way we played last Saturday and last night or do you not wish to express an opinion in case anybody accuses you of moaning." Why don't you answer it ? Your last question to me said "why dont u start looking at the positives instead of the negatives all the time". Have you read what I have posted ? I said that we have proved we can score goals - IS THAT A POSITIVE ?, I said that we probably had the best midfield in the league - IS THAT A POSITIVE ? Read what I post and let it sink into your brain before just coming on here slagging me off, and by the way, as I said before, why not have a sensible pledge instead of your £500 for a Whalley hat-trick and £2.00 for every goal the substitute goalkeeper scores. It just shows how your brain works when you keep stating that Burnley are going up - how much have you bet on that ? Come on put your money where your mouth is. How much are you betting that Stanley and Burnley both get promoted, which is what you keep displaying. I can guess the reply, probably the same amount that you will end up paying Stanley for your pledges.

Fearon1 22-09-2004 15:46

It keeps saying that clarets and stanley are going up because its my signiture, it displays on every post... So why dont you get your brain working and learn how to use a computer, have you not noticed other peoples signiture at the bottom of the screen, they dont write it on every 1 of there posts it does it automatically. If you want an avatar or a signiture go on your profile but you probably dont know how to do it.

Wynonie Harris 22-09-2004 15:54

The very fact that you do have it for your signature shows how much you must believe it. So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and pledge a contribution to the club if it happens?

Fearon1 22-09-2004 15:58

i av had that signiture since i joined the forum

Willie Miller 22-09-2004 16:00

Sorry but fighting between each other on an anonymous forum. Just have a chat at the game on Saturday.:)

However, what happened last night was football, it was similar last season but we are making progress year on year. The management team should be applauded & are obviously as cheesed off as us as to what happened last night. But the margin, between 2-0 & 3-1 is very small to 2-1 & 3-3. Last year we beat Shots, Hereford then drew with Northwich & got beat by Telford.

Bet we beat Gravesend........

Jase

Wynonie Harris 22-09-2004 16:00

Still carefully avoiding the question of a sensible pledge, aren't you?

Fearon1 22-09-2004 16:02

I give enough money to stanley when i watch them.
Its my choice what pledge i do and what it is about.

Wynonie Harris 22-09-2004 16:08

Burnley fans, eh...don't ya just love 'em!

JEFF 22-09-2004 16:09

See - there you go again Fearon - slagging me off for not learning how to use a computer. When I was at school we learned how to use our brain, obviously something that you have not learned yet, although you are probably a wizard using a computer.

This is the third time of asking "are you happy with the way we played last Saturday and last night or do you not wish to express an opinion in case anybody accuses you of moaning."

That is a simple enough question for a computer wizard to answer isn't it or maybe you can't answer it because you didn't go to the games.

Simple questions for you - Did you go to the Stanley matches on Saturday 18th September 2004 against Leigh RMI and on Tuesday 21st September 2004 against Northwich.

Did you go to the Burnley matches on Saturday 18th September 2004 against Leicester and on Tuesday 21st September 2004 against Wolves.

Has it ever occurred to you that some people may not want a signature at the bottom of the screen.

Fearon1 22-09-2004 16:17

u dont have to be a computer wizard to know how to put a signiture on.

Last saturday i went to leicester to watch Burnley..... on tuesday i had a football match so i didnt go to that game either, but i know people who went and i have talked to them about the game. We beat Leigh RMI and drew against northwich so 4 points out of 6 which isnt too bad. Wer getting the results and they are what count not how well they play. They could play brilliant and get beat 1-0 would you be happy then...........

Willie Miller 22-09-2004 16:41

I'll also reply JEFF so that you can have my feelings on the subject.

I remember, & you probably do as well, the "old days" when 100 or so fools went on the Stanley & watched pub players kick a ball around. I saw defeats at Bamber Bridge, Frickley, Fleetwood, Prescot etc.

These days, & following on from the successive promotions HOW COULD YOU NOT BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disappointed last night BUT still happy. Coley will get it right & I'm sure that we all want an experienced centre half to organise & steady the ship. I do! There are no walkovers at this level & maybe we are a little optimistic to think that just because we turn up at Northwich the points are ours. The worst I've felt this season was the Woking game when we offered nothing. Last night could of been avoided & we could have won 3-1. Saturday was a more flattering performance than the score suggested. Daggers was SUPERB. Over the course of the season this evens out.

Personally, i like this league it is a good friendly level to follow, promotion would be superb but at the moment I am enjoying the ride (oo-er). I am 100% sure as Eric is that Coley will get us there. Remember the starts teams with bigger budgets than us have had (Stevenage & Morecambe)

Its all Good but there will be more ups & downs over the course of the season. But remember this if we win at home & draw away & only lose about 4/5/6 games we will be at least play offs.

so

SING YOU BUGGERS SING & as Coley says Keep the faith................

Footiegirl 22-09-2004 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualtrough
Good man,Kipax! Whilst I've considered Smithy should have been a regular in the team all along he won't be able, alone, to wave a magic defensive wand and everything will be perfect. An experienced central defender from league 1 or 2 is still essential to play alongside the lad and help him become an even better player than he currently is. Certainly, appearances alongside the unduly favoured R.Willaims will achieve nothing in that respect.

Glad to see that someone other than myself and my family thinks that smithy deserves to be chosen over robbie williams. Although he is injured if we can't get a league defender, then the duo of hacker and smithy could work well.

Oldgobbin 22-09-2004 18:45

I am always reluctant to point the finger at individual players, but I think there are enough other people feeling the same way for it to be worthy of a mention. Has anybody else noticed that the end of the sequence of clean sheets coincided with the return of a certain defender? I'm sure he gives 100% but is he good enough to shoulder the responsibilities at the heart of the defence? Surely Smithy is worth a run?!

Smiffy16 22-09-2004 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF
Smiffy and Fearon. I am making observations, you say if Norwich had a defence they would win the Premier League, if Norwich had a defence they would win **** all.

We have proved that we can score goals, we must have the best midfield in the league but our defence is not good enough.

I asked you a question - are you happy with the way we played last Saturday and last night or do you not wish to express an opinion in case anybody accuses you of moaning.

Smiffy, Fearon give us your opinion instead of slagging off other people.

Smiffy "moan, moan, moan"
Fearon "Thats all he ever does"

Are you two on here to discuss me, or are you on here to discuss Stanley, and maybe come up with something constructive ? If people took offence to your remarks and stopped posting on this forum there would be nobody left. Can we not have a discussion about Stanley without being personally critisised ?

JEFF I've supported stanley for as long as I can remember I go to all away games and I work at the club on the home games.......I put a lot of effort and hard work in for the club, working their throughout the time I am not at school.......

Stanley are the club I love and always will be........

As i've said before on this topic it's a forum and people are entitled to their own.....doesn't say we have to agree with them.

Have you been to all of the games this season JEFF?

Yes last night we was poor but the defence wasnt bad until the last 10, then yes I agree with you, but sometimes if you get the result and play poorly...you've still won the game even if you were crap.....that was the scenario on Saturday and we got the result.
We've won 3 away games this season and in those games we were cracking all over the pitch(defence included) and no team in the league could of matched us on them performances.........

Were second in the Conference and looking forward to Saturday for a good result and take us top of the league were we belong........

STANLEY TILL I DIE

Shurm 22-09-2004 19:39

Smiffy do you have to be so positive :D its boring, its going well at the moment lets hope we can maintain the results and hopefully be a bit more consistent in performance. :)

Smiffy16 22-09-2004 19:52

[QUOTE=JEFF]At least I have put my money where my mouth is by pledging £10.00 for every league game in which we keep a clean sheet. Come on Smiffy & Fearon why not pledge £10.00 for every league game in which we do not keep a clean sheet.[QUOTE]

Jeff maybe i don't want to put a pledge for a clean sheet because it would of cost me a lot of money so far and if you forget I dont work I'm still at school and spend all my money every week on attending the games both home and away......I have put a pledge for Ged Brannan goals and thats cost me already e.g. Daggers

Wynonie Harris 23-09-2004 07:23

Anyway, Fearon, you'll be able to judge Stanley's playing style for yourself on Saturday. Oh no, I forgot, you'll be going to watch Burnley, won't you? Never mind, doubtless you'll "know someone who went" - a sound basis indeed for debating the team's prowess so far!

JEFF 23-09-2004 09:07

Smiffy - Yes I've been to all the games this season - I've been to all the games for years, I am a life member. I was a junior season ticket holder when Stanley played at Peel Park when they were in the league. I've seen good times and bad times. I would love us to get back into the football league. All I am saying is let's sort the defence out and maybe we can win this league. We all seem to agree that we have a problem with the defence but we only seem to sign strikers and midfielders. As I have said before I am always 100% behind the team I will support them for the whole 90 minutes of every game, I will not critisise any player when the game is in progress, but after the game I will voice my opinion. I would love us to have a clean sheet every game because clean sheets don't lose games, the more it costs me in my pledge the better I will feel. I didn't know you were still at school, if you are, well done for your pledge, let's hope Ged scores a bagfull.

Fearon - You seem to make your decisions after listening to other supporters reports of the games, two people who have watched a game can have entirely different views of that game, you should not really express an opinion unless it is your own opinion. The only game you can express a true opinion of is the Leicester v Burnley game, so why not go on the Burnley forum and discuss that game.

Fearon1 23-09-2004 09:14

I do go on the Burnley forum aswell as this one.

Smiffy16 23-09-2004 09:15

JEFF well that I can agree on......so I'm not going to argue and we can agree on this....

Come on Stanley and get us top of the league on Saturday...

Fearon1 23-09-2004 09:16

The game last saturday was the only stanley home game i missed this season

Wynonie Harris 23-09-2004 09:29

...until this Saturday coming - and any other Saturday when Burnley are playing at home or away at a venue you can travel to.

And, yes, I know you go on the ClaretsMad forum. What was it you were saying a few weeks ago on there when we were giving Clarets fans a bit of stick over nicking their fans? "Stanley fans are having a go at us." Such loyalty!

Fearon1 23-09-2004 09:34

Ive looked at the fixtures and i can go to another 10 stanley home games, or would you rather me not give money to the club when i go to watch at these 10 games.

Willie Miller 23-09-2004 09:40

Woah woah woah

Keep coming on here & KEEP coming to the games

You are very welcome & so are all paying burnley fans who will eventually have red & white blood running through their veins

Jase

PS The Blue Nose Huns inflicted the first defeat on my other football love, Aberdeen FC. Lucky Hun Freaks. They'll always be my second team & Fearon can have us as his second team NO PROBLEM fella

Fearon1 23-09-2004 09:42

I also spent a lot of my time when i was on work experience at the club for 2 weeks. I helped out on the ground during my summer holidays.

Wynonie Harris 23-09-2004 09:48

I'd rather you came to all the home games you can do. But don't come on here and start berating real Stanley fans for expressing their concerns about the team. And if you think that the money you pay to watch Stanley play is enough, then don't make spurious pledges.

Fearon1 23-09-2004 09:57

Well i dont see why people are so concerned when we are in 2nd place. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions but it doesnt mean i need to agree with them.

KIPAX 23-09-2004 10:03

the concerns have been explained...

no one is asking you to agree.., what you and smiffy posted was an insult to the man calling him a moaner and saying thats all he ever does.. not a reasoned debate as to wether you agree with him or not..

the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed.. the trick is not to insult people you dont agree with.. when you learn that then you will understand :)

I suggest you apologise for your original unfounded insult and then put the whole thing to bed.

Smiffy16 23-09-2004 10:04

Well i think i apologised earlier on in the thread and I'm not falling out with any Stanley fans......

Wynonie Harris 23-09-2004 10:15

Too right, Kipax...and I'm not falling out with Smiffy because I've seen him wielding that pitchfork at halftime!

JEFF 23-09-2004 10:21

I am not falling out with anybody and I will talk about Stanley 24/7, I have my opinions and other supporters have their opinions, all I ask is if I post a thread please reply to it constructively not insultingly. Let's have discussions not slanging matches. And by the way......

If we had a defe.............................................. ..............................

ha ha ha

KIPAX 23-09-2004 10:23

moan moan moan

:)

Fearon1 23-09-2004 10:33

If i have insulted anyone then i apoligise

Wynonie Harris 23-09-2004 10:33

That's all he ever does.

JEFF 23-09-2004 10:55

That's it.

I've had enough.

I am not going to moan again on this forum.
Not that I ever did moan.
All I did was voice my opinion which was sometimes interpreted by others as moaning. I have never moaned in my life, in fact, I am well known for not moaning. Only the other day somebody at work said "Jeff, do you never moan" I said "Moan ? I don't know the meaning of the word"
That's it then.
Never again will I say "If we had a def........................"
Well maybe just once
.or twice
.or three times
.or four times
or five times
moan, moan, moan, that's all he ever does.
ha ha ha

Smiffy16 23-09-2004 16:16

Talking about defence Anthony Gerrard is on soccernight tonight dunno what time though for sure........think its 11-30.

Can anyone confirm this?

Fearon1 23-09-2004 20:40

Yes its 11:30 ITV1 ...... Granada Soccer Night

Steve Cotterill is guest and there is something about Anthony Gerrard on the programme.

sarnie boy 25-09-2004 14:08

cool i guess we'll find out then