Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Phil Edwards (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/phil-edwards-58360.html)

AccyMad 27-06-2011 10:12

Phil Edwards

:( It's reported on Stevenage's website that they've agreed terms with our Phil! Still nothing on our site about it so everything crossed we can change his mind - that's one of the players I would have bet my house on him staying - buggeration!!!

mab 27-06-2011 11:20

Re: Phil Edwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 914561)
:( It's reported on Stevenage's website that they've agreed terms with our Phil! Still nothing on our site about it so everything crossed we can change his mind - that's one of the players I would have bet my house on him staying - buggeration!!!

Stanleys server is down at the mo!!

Gribbster 27-06-2011 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 914561)

:eek: :( really hope this isnt true!

cashman 27-06-2011 11:57

beggar whos next?:(

smobile 27-06-2011 11:59

Must be a sunnier climate in Stevenage

MCR ADIM 27-06-2011 12:08

absoutly gutted, think wil really miss him next year, ever present defender, worked hard and everyone knew he could play at a higher level and good at penalties :D

Local Red 27-06-2011 12:46

It's on the Lancashire Evening Telegraph website now.

smobile 27-06-2011 12:54

And on Sky Sports News

Doug 27-06-2011 12:59

Gutted; if we can't hold on to a stalwart performer like Phil what will the others be thinking.

JEFF 27-06-2011 14:04

The defensive partnership of Edwards and Roberts didn't do much at Stanley, let's hope it's the same at Stevenage.

Revived Red 27-06-2011 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF (Post 914642)
The defensive partnership of Edwards and Roberts didn't do much at Stanley, let's hope it's the same at Stevenage.

Unfortunately, Jeff, that partnership had to spend far too much time covering for a third member of the back four, a certain Graham Branch. Or maybe I should have said a very uncertain Graham Branch.

BoroBri 27-06-2011 14:17

He won't be going straight into our defensive line-up and would be 3rd choice CB but looks like he could be useful in midfield too. Judging by your posts this could be a very good free signing for Stevenage.

Revived Red 27-06-2011 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroBri (Post 914645)
looks like he could be useful in midfield too.

I very much doubt that. But a good signing for you.

AccyMad 27-06-2011 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroBri (Post 914645)
He won't be going straight into our defensive line-up and would be 3rd choice CB but looks like he could be useful in midfield too. Judging by your posts this could be a very good free signing for Stevenage.

Rub the salt in why don't you? Take our best defender & then say he'll only be 3rd choice for your lot - really hope Phil sees sense & this deal doesn't go ahead - not many would begrudge him the chance to play in a higher league but if he's going to be nowt but a bench warmer it'd be much harder to take

cashman 27-06-2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 914648)
Rub the salt in why don't you? Take our best defender & then say he'll only be 3rd choice for your lot

if that is true,which i have doubts, then Phil must also be aware, if so hes gone fer the dosh, no other reason, couldn't blame the lad, simple as. can only wish him well.

BoroBri 27-06-2011 15:08

With the best defence for the past two seasons Edwards will need to be pretty special to get many starts but he's replacing Luke Foster so must be versatile and be able to cover CB, midfield and maybe RB. He's certainly going to be busy helping us to stay in L1! and if he's skillful our training regime could make him a top quality player.

yerself 27-06-2011 15:18

Here's the article from the BBC website: BBC Sport - Phil Edwards accepts Stevenage contract offer

Phil Edwards has been the most consistent performer for Stanley over the past 5 years. I find it rather odd that given the supposed reduction in the number of players in the squad for next season the club couldn't come up with an improved offer to retain the services of the player who has been our best defender for the last 4 or 5 years. Is this a reflection of the club's ambition or is there more to the fact that, as it stands, Craney's playing on his own next season?

AccyMad 27-06-2011 15:24

Phil is pretty versatile, having played all positions across our back four without any problem & is already a quality player, he's certainly going to be missed at the Crown - he also does a mean turn on the karaoke if asked nicely

BoroBri 27-06-2011 15:32

The Karaoke could have swung it, as an introduction, every new player at Stevenage has to sing a song to the rest of the team!

JEFF 27-06-2011 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 914653)
. I find it rather odd that given the supposed reduction in the number of players in the squad for next season the club couldn't come up with an improved offer to retain the services of the player who has been our best defender for the last 4 or 5 years.

How much did they offer him if it wasn't an improved offer, and how do you know they didn't make him an improved offer ?

yerself 27-06-2011 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF
How much did they offer him if it wasn't an improved offer, and how do you know they didn't make him an improved offer ?

Whatever they offered obviously wasn't enough, improved or otherwise.

JEFF 27-06-2011 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 914664)
Whatever they offered obviously wasn't enough, improved or otherwise.

What we offered him was probably the best offer we could make considering our financial position and if someone offers him more then they can obviously afford it. It's unfortunate that he's gone but it's not the end of the world. Plenty more players without clubs out there.

Red Army 27-06-2011 16:19

Sad to see he has gone but at least it's for a league one club. Says a lot of how far we have come. Good luck to him and this gives a good opportunity for another player to step in. Not the best advert to lose a player but at least shows that you can catch the eye playing for Stanley.

Pendle Red 27-06-2011 16:23

Phil has been nothing short of a revelation for Stanley always played with his heart on his sleeve has been a great servant and Mr. Consistency for Stanley.

All the best Phil

shakermaker 27-06-2011 16:25

Let's face it, we missed our chance at promotion and the players that have the ability to play at a higher level will move on this summer should offers come their way. We can hope that players don't see the grass as greener but personally I think any player offered a chance to play at a higher level would be foolish not to take it. Thanks for everything Phil. Best of luck to yourself & Danielle. You're welcome back any time. A dodgy tan... :)

Posted via Mobile Device

football19 27-06-2011 16:44

Didn't see this coming, and good luck to him,although I never thought he was a stevenage type of player, ps anyone heard gornell goin inverness ?

rude-dog 27-06-2011 16:51

Now starting to get very worried by the lack of signings and the players leaving. All we need now is proctor to leave and the spine of our team will be crushed

new red 27-06-2011 17:04

cant believe we have lost Edwards, Ryan, Gornell. Edwards was our best defender by far and will be very hard to replace.Hope this doesnt start the role now. Doesnt instill much confidence for next season. Would like to be at preseason tomorrow to see if anyone other than Craney, mc Conville and Murphy turn up.Just shows how the payment structure or lack of it has hit the players. I wish them all well but not when they play against us.

lancsdave 27-06-2011 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by new red (Post 914687)
Would like to be at preseason tomorrow to see if anyone other than Craney, mc Conville and Murphy turn up.Just shows how the payment structure or lack of it has hit the players. I wish them all well but not when they play against us.

Nobody turning up tomorrow. They waiting until Wednesday for the new recruits :)

theresonlyoneaccy 27-06-2011 17:32

When and where has Jimmy Ryan gone?

Pendle Red 27-06-2011 17:35

I suppose we will have to wait and see as you say New Red as to who assembles for pre-season.

Still early days yet and as Shaker points out further up the thread certain player have shown their capabilities and certainly deserve their chance at pastures new.

A players career can be relatively short and change in the blink of an eye and sometimes those opportunities may not come around again.

The challenge again for everyone this season is too prove the critics wrong and improve on last season:)

smudgie 27-06-2011 18:33

Fair play to Phil for getting the chance at League One level, and I hope he does well.

Just a shame its with those clowns. :(

choirboy 27-06-2011 20:15

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED !!!!
For me Phil is a LEGEND !!!!
He will go down as one of our very best servants in our modern era. Hardly missed a match in years, hard as nails, a real battler, a very clever defender and a no nonsense old fashioned penalty taker. Also a superb example to other players around him. One of his greatest assests is his vision and ability to read how opponents are shaping an attack. He moves into position long before others have sussed out the play. This skill to read the situation has enabled himto outplay virtually all opposing forwards most of whom "dwarf" him. I fully understand Phil going up a division and probably for much better pay.
I would like to pass on my thanks for his fantastic service to Stanley and wish him the best for the future, (except if he plays against us of course!)

maccawozzagod 28-06-2011 00:33

good luck Phil and thanks for the memories (particularly all those against Morecambe)

on the subject of penalties it really is a shame that Gornell has gone as I believe he wanted to take penalties last year - imagine if he'd been able to convert all Phil's and add them to his own tally! Certainly should be going to better clubs than Invershaggingness!

Redraine 28-06-2011 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 914845)
Certainly should be going to better clubs than Invershaggingness!

Not so sure about that, Macca! Playing in front of a full house at Ibrox or Celtic Park has a certain appeal. Cally have a nice new stadium in a wonderful area.

lancsdave 28-06-2011 10:15

Phil's comments in the Telegraph

Edwards walks out on Stanley for Stevenage (From Lancashire Telegraph)

shakermaker 28-06-2011 18:26

“But the club have had better players than me before, so they will move on.

“I hope they do well.”

That's highly debatable Phil. A true gent. Good luck mate.

harwood red 28-06-2011 21:13

very sad at this news (especially with it being to Stevenage) but really can't blame him for moving to a higher league and I wish him all the best for the rest of his football career and a very happy future for him and Danielle (real genuine couple).

They will always have a place in the stanley family and I very much doubt anyone would disagree with that!!

Keep up with the johnson's holiday sun phil as sunbeds are no longer your favoured tanning option :D

cashman 28-06-2011 22:50

Just a thought, Who's gonna take sodding penalties now Phils gone?:eek:

Div3North 28-06-2011 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 915229)
Just a thought, Who's gonna take sodding penalties now Phils gone?:eek:

Pick any one of our four players Cashie :) ........... Preferably not Proccie, though, after his last few :o

cashman 28-06-2011 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Div3North (Post 915237)
Pick any one of our four players Cashie :) ........... Preferably not Proccie, though, after his last few :o

That was what promted me to post this.:eek::D:D

maccawozzagod 29-06-2011 09:48

francis jeffers?

lancsdave 29-06-2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 915303)
francis jeffers?

Been invited to build his fitness up. Round about 10 years too late if you ask me :D

maccawozzagod 29-06-2011 10:34

same article says that it is unlikely that we could match his wage demands. It really bugs me though, like you say Dave, 10 years too late, but what has he done over the last 10 years that warrants any kind of wages at all?

BoroBri 30-06-2011 12:04

There's an interesting piece by Edwards in our local paper -
http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/edwards_says_league_1_football_was_too_good_an_opp ortunity_to_turn_down_1_948533[/URL]

He seems a good honest lad and I think we were lucky to get him on a free, especially considering that we don't pay big wages. I can't see him wanting to keep the bench warm for most of the season and would imagine he'll get a couple of run outs in the freindlies to see where he fits in.

MCR ADIM 30-06-2011 16:32

Phil edwards is awesome,
he's awesome at the back
he see's a striker with the ball he says am avin that
he wears the red of stanley
and i'm his biggest fan
phil edwards is my hero
he's got a dodgey tan
a dodgey tan

smudgie 30-06-2011 18:12

Wonder how many times people will sing that down there?? :(

cashman 30-06-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 915732)
Wonder how many times people will sing that down there?? :(

From what i heard when they were at the crown Smudge, Don't think many of em can sing.:D;)

smudgie 30-06-2011 18:25

Good point!

VALAIRIAN 07-07-2011 18:44

All the best to you Phil, you have been a great servant and always given 100%. If I am honest, I feel let down that you have gone now and not had another bash at promotion, but if that is what you felt then I respect that!! But, WHY them?????????????????????

Good luck "Sunbeds"

:) :) :)

BoroBri 20-07-2011 10:04

Missed a penalty against Dover Athletic last night. Dover 1 Stevenage 0:(

Tealeaf 20-07-2011 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroBri (Post 920222)

Good.

mab 20-07-2011 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroBri (Post 920222)

:) See there is a god :rolleyes::D

BoroBri 27-07-2011 08:40

Own goal by Phil Edwards. Hampton & Richmond beat Stevenage 1-0 :eek: -
How much did you pay us to take him off your hands?!

Strangely enough most of our supporters really rate him and with injuries to our first choice LB, RB and CB at the moment I could see him getting a game against Exeter on August 6th.

smobile 27-07-2011 08:44

Own goal by Phil Edwards. Hampton & Richmond beat Stevenage 1-0 :eek: -
How much did you pay us to take him off your hands?!

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

AccyMad 27-07-2011 09:09

Now the truth is dawning - Phil didn't defect to Stevenage out of choice, he's gone as a one-man sabatage crew designed to get them relegated back to league 2 in their first season, keep up the good work mate :)

football19 01-08-2011 14:40

Heard a interesting rumour that stevenage are trying to turn phil into a defensive holding type midfielder(claude mackele type),he may start in that role on saturday !!!.
Is it me,but that side of his game was his weakest,just cant see him in that role:confused:

Redraine 01-08-2011 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 922759)
Heard a interesting rumour that stevenage are trying to turn phil into a defensive holding type midfielder(claude mackele type),he may start in that role on saturday !!!.
Is it me,but that side of his game was his weakest,just cant see him in that role:confused:

Certainly passing is not his strongest asset!

SamF 01-08-2011 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 922774)
Certainly passing is not his strongest asset!

Shh.

That is undoubtedly his best position.

(We might get him back on a free in January)

BoroBri 12-08-2011 11:26

Doing a really good job playing just in front of the back four allowing Bostwick to push forward from midfield. If he keeps playing the way he does i could see him as automatic for the starting 11.

DAV007 12-08-2011 22:25

phil edwards is fab.

he will do a great job for you, he was to good for league 2 but maybe his physical size held him back as he isnt your usual 6 foot 2 centre half.