Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Northampton Town Match Thread.......... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/northampton-town-match-thread-62840.html)

smudgie 10-11-2012 08:21

Northampton Town Match Thread..........

Here we go :D

BEATTIE on his debut??? :)

cashman 10-11-2012 08:25

Re: Northampton Town Match Thread..........

Hope so Smudge,depends on clearance?:confused::)

AccyMad 10-11-2012 12:05

I'm probably being a bit thick here but I don't understand why we need clearance for James Beattie to play when he was a free agent?

cashman 10-11-2012 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1027467)
I'm probably being a bit thick here but I don't understand why we need clearance for James Beattie to play when he was a free agent?

As far as i know Di, he was on books at Sheff Utd.:)

mab 10-11-2012 12:41

Shef/Utd released james in May 2012. so i would think his registration papers have to be filed with the league/fa before he can play:) fax them:D

Stanley Fox 10-11-2012 13:14

Any team news ?

nige b 10-11-2012 13:24

beattie not playing paperwork not through on time

mab 10-11-2012 15:22

:)you wont see a better goal anywhere Boco's goal fooking brillient:D

Haggis316 10-11-2012 15:54

As soon as I saw the Northampton Team Sheet I feared a Mucky Endy.

cashman 10-11-2012 16:28

How we went from dominating to chasing that game i will never know,:confused:Still at least it was a unique match..........First time i ever saw a "Fat Trick":D

Redraine 10-11-2012 16:36

What a defensive horror show. In spite of playing some lovely stuff going forward we were completely open down our right. Murphy and Winnard need dropping as they were left chasing shadows all afternoon. Awful and embarrassing. Molyneux, Gray and Miller were the pick of our lot for me. Come on, Leam. Bite the bullet and draft in Toto and Craig at the back. They can hardly do any worse.

cashman 10-11-2012 17:08

Whilst i agree we played some nice stuff going forward,All to often there was "No Ball" played into the box (Danger Area) All to often a lovely forward move ended with a back pass, rather than the box. opportunity missed.IMHO.:(

mab 10-11-2012 17:39

2-1 up and in full control then Town made a double sub Platt 0ff(Robinson on ) Wilson off (Demontagnac 0n ) and the whole game changed and with in 4 mins of coming on Robinson made it 2-2,Town dominated after that. TBH after we went 2-1 up looked to be only one winner how quick it turned round in Towns faver...

Reamer 10-11-2012 18:14

Any team that lets the blimp that is Akinfenwa score with a diving header must have an appauling defence and I'm afreaid that was true of Accy today. Winnard is just not himself at the moment (get the impression he's cheesed off with being asked to play RB when he's so much better at CB). Murphy seems to lose the plot and too many players not at their best today. Can't honestly pick a MOM

SamF 10-11-2012 18:57

Think today it was a case of the wrong tactics/formation.

We played a big direct team and yet our primary method to get out of defense was the long ball to the flanks. They dominated us in the air all over the pitch and we never picked up the second ball off Akinfenwa.

On the ground we could have played them off the park - 5-2-1-2 would have give us an extra man at the back and overloaded the centre of the pitch where we cut them apart.

Think they deserved the win - they always looked dangerous on the break and from set pieces - all you can ask for away from home.

FrankMoody 10-11-2012 19:14

Defence has killed us today, especially murphy, tried to out-muscle an 18 stone rugby player instead of using his head.

Winnard is just not good enough on the ball to play right back. Miller died 2nd half, Hatfield and Bocco quiet.

Threw away a game we shoul have won. IMO Gray MOM, looked decent as a team going forward.

Larry Lobster 10-11-2012 19:30

Rather surprised and disappointed to see Dean Winnard getting a bit of a pasting on this thread. Dean would run through a brick wall for Accrington Stanley, is just back from a pretty serious injury and in my opinion, deserves better.

Grimps 10-11-2012 19:34

Need to get rid of sum deadwood. 2-1 should no lose

stanley convert 10-11-2012 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Lobster (Post 1027514)
Rather surprised and disappointed to see Dean Winnard getting a bit of a pasting on this thread. Dean would run through a brick wall for Accrington Stanley, is just back from a pretty serious injury and in my opinion, deserves better.

Absolutely Larry, some stanley players on an away day again shining light again for me was Atkinson but we seemed to back off Akinfenwa every time he got the ball, don,t get me wrong he gets some stick but he his a very clever football player and did one on us today simply because we were not up to it, get a grip lads or ship out cos some of ya aint good enough this is why I take exception to the quote the snake left us in good shape!!!!!!!!! absolute drivel if what I saw this afternoon is good shape Akinfenwa is slimmer of the year.
Anyway on a brighter note the snake got beat this afternoon :do-one::do-one:

Redraine 10-11-2012 19:47

Quote:

Not his fault, Larry but he's just not cutting it at the moment. What's the situation with Jon, these days?

Larry Lobster 10-11-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1027518)
Not his fault, Larry but he's just not cutting it at the moment. What's the situation with Jon, these days?

Strange situation. He's yet to play in the SPL and getting a bit (well actually a lot) disappointed. The manager, Derek Adams keeps telling him he'll get his chance, so far that has only been in the League Cup, he's playing regularly for their development squad and they seem to play quite a few behind closed doors friendlies. I suspect his next 1st team game will be their FA cup came against Inverness Cally Thistle.

I did tell him to get his agent to contact Leam Richardson to see if there was any chance of a loan move, as Leam knows him from his time at Stanley. He actually said he would, so who knows?

Redraine 10-11-2012 20:21

Would love to see him back, as I always thought he was our best right back, both defensively and offensively.

Ghostbuster 10-11-2012 22:01

Our defence is strong in my opinion-if you stop the knee-jerk reaction to losing today. Dean and Peter can play either full-back or central defence. We have two options at left back and have Toto to come back in.
Physically we are weak in the opposition half.
If you were a central defender and woke up on a saturday morning deciding who you would rather play against;
a) Northampton (two big lumps who can also play a bit, plus another on the bench in a similar mould)
b)Stanley with Hatfield & Amond who will run all day, honest players but are too small. (If you are this size, you have to have something extra special to your game)

I hope that Beattie can help to resolve the situation, but we have to accept that this league is full of 'big lads' and is the reason why Stevenage managed to get out of this division at our expense.

Crown Grounder 10-11-2012 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1027525)
Would love to see him back, as I always thought he was our best right back, both defensively and offensively.

Yeah, I agree with you Redraine would love to see Jon back, one of the best right backs I've seen at Stanley. much better offensively, but then ther is always the risk that you get caught out if you like going forward. Happens in the Premiership as well.

Dean still not at his best after the injury and he is not improving in my opinion.

We would do much better 4 - 4 -2 at home. Toto out of favour, but he kept Akinfenway quiet last time he was at the Crown Ground, so quiet he didn't score a single goal!

I heard Leams interview after the game and he said they had planned how to cope with big Ak. Didn't work! make a note for next time Leam. Also, substitutions todat were poor by Leam. Like for like with Barnett on for Hatfield was too little to late. It needed, Lindfield on for Hatfield, move Boco inside (He's more of a threat in the centre with his ability to shoot) and maybe Samson on up front with Podge, taking Miller off.

Boothroyds subs were inspired and won them the game, he put two attacking players on, one midfield and one wide left and it won them the game. I should have been in the dugout with Leam today. he's either not listening to his other coaching team or they are not giving an opinion soon enough. Call him all you like but Cooky made his changes soon enough and in numbers to try and change things when they were going wrong.

I know it's easier after the game but, I thought this after their third goal went in. Surely Leam can have a change worked out BEFORE the game, if he wants to change the set up, there aren't that many options.

SamF 10-11-2012 22:31

I do wish people would stop going on about 4-4-2 - name one team who is playing well in that formation nowadays ?

If you play 4 in the middle the opposition will play 5 and overwhelme you every time.Our strength is modern, possession football - our best players are midfielders and its a joy to watch when they get going.

Crown Grounder 10-11-2012 22:45

If our strength was on show today, it didn't work. the modern way in football is about being able to change the way you play to suit the circumstances in front of you. It isn't smart to only play one way if it isn't working. Boothroyd changed his system and it worked for Northampton. there is nothing wrong with playing 5 in midfield if it is working. Chack the stats for the game we didn't have the majority of the possession today and of course didn't score the majority of the goals.

nige b 10-11-2012 23:19

Forget formations, if it's working keep it, if it's not then go to plan b then plan c if it's not then you are invariably buggered. We were undone today by a side that were bigger and far more physical and played to that advantage eventually. Leam's substitutions were neither inspiring nor imaginative however he is learning his trade and went more the Coley approach (too late) as apposed to the Cook approach (earlier) but it's very rare we are up against a 19st forward who will boss the box.
Hugely disappointing but a learning curve and whilst being a forward maybe Beattie can help them to deal with big fellas!

By the way what a top bout Akinfinwa v Jon 'the beast' Parkin certainly be better than any Audrey Harrison 'fight'!

Revived Red 10-11-2012 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster (Post 1027528)
Our defence is strong in my opinion-if you stop the knee-jerk reaction to losing today. Dean and Peter can play either full-back or central defence. We have two options at left back and have Toto to come back in.
Physically we are weak in the opposition half.
If you were a central defender and woke up on a saturday morning deciding who you would rather play against;
a) Northampton (two big lumps who can also play a bit, plus another on the bench in a similar mould)
b)Stanley with Hatfield & Amond who will run all day, honest players but are too small. (If you are this size, you have to have something extra special to your game).

I have to agree. It's far too simplistic to blame the defenders. There was just no comparison between Akinfenwa's performance and Podge's. I know that Podge has his admirers, but I'm afraid I am not one of them. It's not only that he is too small; he cannot control a ball and lay it off. Unlike Akinfenwa, who was able to do that with ease all afternoon. Murphy cannot be blamed for the skill of an opponent. Too often, Podge is on the wrong side of his marker - he waits for a mistake by the defender rather than force the defender into a mistake. Yes, he will run and chase - but we need more from a striker. I can recall only one chance for Podge - and that was a poor header.

I feel something else should be said. We simply do not have a right winger. Charlie was wasted there, and Rommy is wasted there. Deano is not a wing back - Jon Bateson was.

carpon 11-11-2012 01:12

For me, all the lads at the back need to take a very long and hard look at that performance.

I'd agree, Deano is playing out of position at right back and I think he's wasted there. He's a much better Centre back / Central defender than Murphy will ever be. :o

Having got ourselves in a position to win the game we capitulated. We couldn't handle marking a guy whose only positive aspect as a football player is by using his "more than ample frame " to bully posession and the fact he knows where the net is. The guy took an eternity to wobble back to the half way line for the restarts once he'd scored!!!:(

I was listening to Leam on Radio Lancs after the game and he mentioned they'd been working on marking Akinfenwa "the blob" all week. Obviously it didn't work. Having just watched the goals again on the F.L. show, there were two very weak and lilly livered challenges on Akinfenwa for their 2nd, marking none existent for their 3rd ( to me, Murphy totally lost Akinfenwa) and the fourth was another case of Akinfenwa bullying to get the chance for his hat-trick.:mad:

As for Boco being "quiet".... were you watching the same game Mr. Moody??? A cracking goal scored and I'd have to say.... he may have had better games for Stanley but I wouldn't knock him for his effort today.:confused:

football19 11-11-2012 01:29

Missed the last few games due to holiday commitments,so it's unfair to coment on performances.
Am i missing something,upto yesterday,the previous four games,the team conceded two goals,and were 2-1 up,and after a nine minute mad spell,there not good enough !
Everyone's entitled to an opinion,but according to Liam,the team played well,and its his opinion that counts.
Looking at games,from a tactical point of view,we do miss a large/target man,and hopefully Beatty will give us that.
Regarding Dean,he has had a serious injury,was asked by coley to play,and following his operation,missed a large amount of pre season and really shouldn't have played.
Having no reserve team hasn't helped and again he's played when asked.
Hopefully he's starting to get fitter and turning the corner( two goals conceeded in four games suggests the same)
For the newer posters on here saying he can't play fullback,how many left wingers have ever got the better of him?,for everyone named,I will give you five that have been subbed!.
Thought he played fullback in our play off season and even played more than a season at left back !!
I am all for constructive criticism, backed up with facts,
Ps look at all our previous centre backs who were asked to play full back,any stood out ?,
Edwards,hessey to name a couple
Pps if he has played crap,please dismiss the above!!!!

Reamer 11-11-2012 01:32

Quote:

:confused: Well Larry, I don't think Deano has been given a 'pasting', just think he's not playing at his best at the moment. I don't doubt his commitment, he's been a stalwart for us and I'm a great fan. The injury may still be a factor in his play. Basically, I just think he's being played out of position but , being Deano, he'll play anywhere.
Problem is, we've got no fullbacks, which goes back to JC's time really. Mcintyre solved the LB berth but even he was a midfielder when he first came from Macclesfield and took time to adjust. RB has never been solved since Bateson lost it at Bury and JC never forgave him (artistic licence - I'm reading between the lines cos we've never had a full explanation of this episode but Bateson never played in first team again)
Most people I talk to thought that Bateson had potential and that seems to be the thoughts of many posts I have seen on these threads. Given the kind of club we are, if he'd been given a decent run he may have developed into the kind of RB we need . i.e. one that can defend primarily and attack with pace and cross from the byline. Molyneaux has this in his game from the left and his crosses are exceptional but this is just not Deano's game. He's a defender , CB and a good one.
We seem to have an abundance of midfield players , all at the same competence. - send some of them back (loanees) and get a pacey right back

football19 11-11-2012 01:47

Reamer,nice post,and everyone knows deans a defender,the trouble is,when fit,he's the fastest player at acci ,his strengths ,when fit,are his pace,indeed in his last season at Blackburn,he was the fastest over 10/20/30/40 m,only Olsen matched his 40 m time!, his game,before coming to acci,was centre back playing a high line,That's why they play him at fullback,not because of his crossing abilities !!!

smudgie 11-11-2012 07:30

Well my two pence worth, as Leam said 10 crazy minutes changed the game.
The 2 subs they made changed the game, simple. Not sure where our changes where??

I know its a case of what if.......... But I thought yesterday was made for Toto at the back, against the big man he was the only option. Murph and Atkinson didnt have a chance.

Thought Gray did ok considering he hasnt played for two months, but I really think Molyneux is a better Left Winger than Left Back. Molyneux didnt have the best day, neither did Boco, but the latter scored a cracker.

No doubt their goals where class, but it was our lads that seemed to go asleep. For me Joyce was way below par....... AGAIN ! We are trying to play him as a Bryan Hughes type creative Midfielder when he simply not the same standard. Miller is trying his best, and scored another great goal, but he is only a young lad and we cannot expect anymore of him.

My solution.......... Send the likes of Sheppard, Osawe, Sampson, Whichelow and Mongoia back and bring in a genuine Right Back and creative Midfielder to help Miller in the middle of the park..... Anybody know what has happened to Luke Clarke???

football19 11-11-2012 09:21

Agree with most of your post smudge, but disagree with the centre backs comment.Toto could become a really good player,but plays it how he sees it,not how the coaches see it!,
Murph and Atkinson are both good players,but tend to play a little too deep at times for my liking,and against players like akinfenda is suicidal,contact should be made 40 yards from your goal not in the pen area.
Indeed,we have struggled against all big players this season because of this.
The fullback debate will always rage on,but at this level your cant play with two attack minded fullbacks,unless your centre backs are world class,you just get picked off,even man utd fall for this and they have class centre halves.

Revived Red 11-11-2012 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimps (Post 1027515)
Need to get rid of sum deadwood. 2-1 should no lose

A ludicrous comment. Where exactly was the deadwood yesterday? Yes, there is some deadwood at the club - but it didn't make yesterday's team sheet.

We lost because we were outthought by an experienced manager and outgunned by a heavyweight front man who has far more skill - and speed - than he is given credit for. Did no-one else notice that chase for a loose ball with Deano in the first half, a chase that Akinfenwa was certainly not losing?

football19 11-11-2012 09:38

Your spot on RR,we have not given him credit,he's a nightmare to play against,his touch and control is first class, two great feet and excellent in the air.Although not a grafter,he's quick over ten yards and his hold up play is different class,reads the ball flight early and is impossible to move.
To play him effectively,you have to hold an high line and defend the second balls , KEEP HIM OUT OF THE AREA !

cashman 11-11-2012 10:42

The Fat Trick scorer is a great front man, Can also hold the ball up, lay it off well, very deceiving wi speed oer a short distance, would love him in our front line.:)

yonmon 11-11-2012 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1027568)
Your spot on RR,we have not given him credit,he's a nightmare to play against,his touch and control is first class, two great feet and excellent in the air.Although not a grafter,he's quick over ten yards and his hold up play is different class,reads the ball flight early and is impossible to move.
To play him effectively,you have to hold an high line and defend the second balls , KEEP HIM OUT OF THE AREA !

And I reckon that he and The Cobbler's Goalkeeper must practice for hours on end together such was the accuracy of the latter's ability to find Aki's Chest and Feet with almost every clearance !!...so some credit must go to him...and I am in total agreement with Revived Red's opinion of Aki's control and hold-up play,by far the best exponent of this craft seen at The Crown this season.
The lad sat next to me summed it up when he said..
'He'd soon become a legend with the Clayton End if he played for us !'.
Enough about the opposition though, except that the Manager outhought Leam on the day..and that they had a Midfield trio that really ran and ultimately won the game for them !!.
Although it's an interesting exercise I feel that It's fruitless to attempt to pick out individual failings in our Team's performance yesterday, I'm certain that Leam will have the nouse to see where these existed and will work on them accordingly...which will only add to his growing experience at Managerial level, help him to produce a more balanced side, and ensure him of our continued support. Keep the Faith !!

lancsdave 11-11-2012 11:42

Was 2-1 when I turned up, maybe I'll skip the rest of the season :(

choirboy 11-11-2012 13:22

Lots of interesting observations on here following yesterdays loss to Northampton. When we got in front at 2 - 1, after we scored two great goals from outside the box, I thought that we would have gone on to win easily. It was really disappointing to see three goals scored so easily against us to turn the game on its head. Not going to repeat any criticisms of individual players already posted earlier because I don't agree with a lot of them. However, at 2 - 3 I could not understand the lack of substitutions from us. As said, Charlie for Will was hardly a change and the substition in the 91st minute was for too late, (did the lad get a touch of the ball?) It was crying out for some height both at the centre of our defence and also up front too. Toto could have been brought on in either position. I would love to have seen him put at centre forward in order to test their defence.

Final observation......
A quote I heard years ago.....
......"A good 'BIG UN' will always beat a good 'little un'"

When the teams came on and lined up in front of the stand we looked significantly smaller "man for man" against their players.
I hope Beatty can provide some of the height and strength needed up front and also when defending corners and free kicks in our box.

Keep the faith, give Liam a fair chance. On Stanley On!

Stevo 11-11-2012 18:08

No comments about Northampton game except for IT WAS THAT MAN AGAIN,however I DO feel we have too many loan players at the moment which could well be a demotivator, so would be better with less of these.Yes a big striker is needed but hopefully Beattie may well be able to address that problem. Right back has never been as good since Bateson no longer got picked by Coley....he was a good attacking full back and had a long throw as well ...which is always an attacking advantage..If as earlier mentioned he was to become available again it would be a vast improvement on the current situation, in my opinion.

cashman 11-11-2012 18:14

Have to agree stevo, also a long throw can be really beneficial as Northants demonstrated yesterday.:)

cashman 22-05-2013 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027572)
The Fat Trick scorer is a great front man, Can also hold the ball up, lay it off well, very deceiving wi speed oer a short distance, would love him in our front line.:)

The Guys been released by Northampton, despite being the leading scorer, Would hope he resurfaces somewhere in Div2, The guys great craic, We would never attract him sadly McDees is too far from the ground.:D

football19 22-05-2013 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1060099)
The Guys been released by Northampton, despite being the leading scorer, Would hope he resurfaces somewhere in Div2, The guys great craic, We would never attract him sadly McDees is too far from the ground.:D

Effective player and did well when he came on in the play-off final.
Nightmare to mark,but we simply couldnt afford him.

Exile on Spencer St 23-05-2013 11:58

He wouldn't fit in the dressing room for a start.

cashman 23-05-2013 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1060255)
He wouldn't fit in the dressing room for a start.

Dunno he fits in when Northants were here?:D We could never afford him, don't stop me liking him though.:)