Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Todays Attendance (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/todays-attendance-63080.html)

mab 15-12-2012 18:11

Todays Attendance

Todays Attendance of 1050 which when you take 119 Wonderers fans out of it,isnt good reading 931 just Stanley fans turned up for this L/2 clash. you have to go back to 2008-09 when Stanley entertained Luton Town on a very wet feb Tuesday evening to get the lowest Attendance of 1033 and Barnet on a saturday in jan 1056.. I know xmas in around the corner but we have a Football league team that needs the community to back them throu the gates....

caretaker 15-12-2012 18:19

Re: Todays Attendance

Many more performances like today Mab, and we will be getting even less through the gate

mab 15-12-2012 18:25

I'm hopping its the lead up to xmas and the opposition that we played caused the lack of bums on seats Caretaker but suspect you might be right in what you saying

cashman 15-12-2012 18:36

Well put it this way, if anyone ventured today first time, its highly unlikely they would return.:(

lancsdave 15-12-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1032370)
Todays Attendance of 1050 which when you take 119 Wonderers fans out of it,isnt good reading 931 just Stanley fans turned up for this L/2 clash. you have to go back to 2008-09 when Stanley entertained Luton Town on a very wet feb Tuesday evening to get the lowest Attendance of 1033 and Barnet on a saturday in jan 1056.. I know xmas in around the corner but we have a Football league team that needs the community to back them throu the gates....

Not sure the club were actually around in Jan 1056 ;)

DaveinGermany 15-12-2012 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1032403)
Not sure the club were actually around in Jan 1056 ;)

Course they were Dave, Ye Oldie Stanninglee of Akkaringtun, playing in the Confessor conference table, which later became Norman castle league. :D

lancsdave 15-12-2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1032404)
Course they were Dave, Ye Oldie Stanninglee of Akkaringtun, playing in the Confessor conference table, which later became Norman castle league. :D

I'll ask Cashy what the atmosphere was like :D

jaysay 16-12-2012 10:34

Looks like they all went to Turd Moor they had over 14,000 on

VALAIRIAN 16-12-2012 10:40

Didn't Rovers also do something with their AWAY game?? :)

Greeny 16-12-2012 10:52

I was out of town yesterday , so couldn't get to the match, but believe I missed nothing. I hope they put more into their game on Tues ,but am not holding my breathe.

lancsdave 16-12-2012 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1032477)
Looks like they all went to Turd Moor they had over 14,000 on

Aye somebody figured out that 10 days before Christmas, with an away team as visitors with few travelling fans that it might be a good idea to reduce admission prices for the day ;)

AsFc62 16-12-2012 11:23

I couldnt think of 10people that want to watch a performance like that again nevermind a 1000 mighty reds.

Relegation form, needs sorting out before we get dragged into a battle.

cashman 16-12-2012 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 1032489)
I couldnt think of 10people that want to watch a performance like that again nevermind a 1000 mighty reds.

Relegation form, needs sorting out before we get dragged into a battle.

Spot on ash.;)

pifco 16-12-2012 12:10

It was relegation form indeed and the problem is with performances like that we would struggle in the Conference.

ddevil2006 16-12-2012 12:11

yes very true Ash, and i don't think Leam will be the man to get us out of the Conference

cashman 16-12-2012 12:47

Whilst without doubt yesterday was utter crap, i reckon talk of the Conference is way oer the top, we may possibly be dragged into the bottom end scrap, but as far as i'm concerned we aint going anywhere this season, The manager took oer when the snake had let things slip a bit n is new to the game, everyone i spoke too was happy he took oer, n now is the time to back that faith in my view, Panic does no good at all.

VALAIRIAN 16-12-2012 13:56

Sound comments Mr. Cash :)

Ghostbuster 16-12-2012 14:57

I noticed five season-ticket holders who sit in the main stand not at yesterday's game. I don't know if they are counted into the gate announced, but more importantly there are issues surrounding the prices and running of the club in general which worry me more than yesterday's pathetic performance.

Ticket Prices-The club should show some imagination when it is obvious that a game such as this (ie against a southern team just before Xmas) would attract this kind of gate. The fact that the club did not look at putting any offers is disgaceful and the people who are tasked with promoting the club should take a long hard look at themselves. (You are not doing your job correctly)

Prices are too high for this town - all been documented on here before but ignored-Fleetwood seem to be more in tune with reasonable pricing.

I have never been close to running a football club, but I am baffled how we can carry 20+ pro footballers including Beattie who I asume is well paid, the manager, assistant, coach & physio on our poor gates.

I am worried that even if we manage to stay up-history is going to repeat itself?

deeayess 16-12-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster (Post 1032517)
I noticed five season-ticket holders who sit in the main stand not at yesterday's game. I don't know if they are counted into the gate announced, but more importantly there are issues surrounding the prices and running of the club in general which worry me more than yesterday's pathetic performance.

Ticket Prices-The club should show some imagination when it is obvious that a game such as this (ie against a southern team just before Xmas) would attract this kind of gate. The fact that the club did not look at putting any offers is disgaceful and the people who are tasked with promoting the club should take a long hard look at themselves. (You are not doing your job correctly)

Prices are too high for this town - all been documented on here before but ignored-Fleetwood seem to be more in tune with reasonable pricing.

I have never been close to running a football club, but I am baffled how we can carry 20+ pro footballers including Beattie who I asume is well paid, the manager, assistant, coach & physio on our poor gates.

I am worried that even if we manage to stay up-history is going to repeat itself?

The club did to an extent. I got an email for tickets for £10 for yesterday and next saturday. http://www.bulletmailing.co.uk/clien...chers_2012.pdf .

Possibly this could have been promoted better but it didn't help with Burnley being at home for a tenner and Rovers playing at Blackpool.

jaysay 16-12-2012 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1032486)
Aye somebody figured out that 10 days before Christmas, with an away team as visitors with few travelling fans that it might be a good idea to reduce admission prices for the day ;)

Ah thought there must be a reason:D

The Red Darreners 16-12-2012 19:27

Dont necessarily agree with this. The fantastic cup game with Oxford only drew 1196- neither Rovers or Burnley played that day - it was the derby the day after.
Someone on the large board of directors should have sussed this - these young players must be demotivated when they see the crowd as it was yesterday- theyhave to decide quickly - do you want a crowd or the sponds?Pre- Xmas, in a terrible recession.
Give free tickets away- workplaces, schools, colleges.EVERY WEEK. Sell these people pies. Have a staggered entry system- get people to sign up to a voucher scheme- free first match, fiver to the second eight quid to the third etc- they can duck out if they dont like.
As Darreners we come because we feel Stanley represents more in terms of the true values of English football, and stands like a beacon against the greed, hypocrisy and short-sightedness of the 'premiership' et al.The club should play much, much more on this in their marketing-and there should be many, many more posters et al around the town.

I don't mean this in any way nastily towards the residents of Accrington-but I am astonished that the town doesn't get behind the club to a much greater degree- you would be surprised how often people in Darwen comment positively when they see the missus and I sporting our Stanley scarves, shirts, hats etc. After 60 or 70 home games in the last three or four years you have to accept that yesterdays debacle was uncharacteristic - the product at the Crown is usually pretty good!!
ONE OF THESE DIRECTORS MUST HAVE SOME CREATIVE NOUS?

Jeg Red 16-12-2012 19:42

On yesterday's showing, we'll stumble into the New Year out of all cup competitions, looking nervously at the bottom of the table with an inexperienced manager and an inexperienced team. Not a good combination!

Revived Red 16-12-2012 20:10

Any chance of following the example of The Brewers last week?

Army of 900 juniors will boost attendance on Sunday | This is Derbyshire

lancsdave 16-12-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeayess (Post 1032526)
The club did to an extent. I got an email for tickets for £10 for yesterday and next saturday. http://www.bulletmailing.co.uk/clien...chers_2012.pdf .

Possibly this could have been promoted better but it didn't help with Burnley being at home for a tenner and Rovers playing at Blackpool.

Wasn't this also dished out to many houses in Hyndburn through a leaflet ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Red Darreners (Post 1032563)

I don't mean this in any way nastily towards the residents of Accrington-but I am astonished that the town doesn't get behind the club to a much greater degree-

Maybe many of them are figuring out how to put food in the mouths of their families ? The town is dead, it's poor and has a large population of dead beats. Not sure how much more the town can do, you have to look further afield somehow

cashman 16-12-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 1032567)
Any chance of following the example of The Brewers last week?

Army of 900 juniors will boost attendance on Sunday | This is Derbyshire

Now thats what i call,using yer head.;)

mab 16-12-2012 21:15

Been saying for yonks the club should be targeting Clitheroe and the Ribble Valley, ony 8miles down the rd from accy :) My self yonmon Bently5 cartaker all live over here as well as others who attend home games :)

lancsdave 16-12-2012 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1032576)
Been saying for yonks the club should be targeting Clitheroe and the Ribble Valley, ony 8miles down the rd from accy :) My self yonmon Bently5 cartaker all live over here as well as others who attend home games :)

It's where all the rich folk live. I might even move my business there :D

mab 16-12-2012 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1032578)

plenty of empty shops to fill Dave,you could branch out:)

Wynonie Harris 17-12-2012 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1032576)

Been saying this for yonks too, Mab. Get out into the Ribble Valley, Rossendale, Darwen and other areas with leaflets and posters pushing the "Football the way it used to be - real grassroots atmosphere - etc, etc" theme.

Dave's right, it's no good looking to Accy itself for many more new fans - might get a few hundred back if our home performances pick up, but beyond that, we need to look elsewhere.

It really is time the club commercial dept started thinking out of the box - get out there into pastures new!

jaysay 17-12-2012 09:44

Re: Today's Attendance

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1032570)
Now that's what i call,using yer head.;)

Must agree on that one cashy, Stanley are probably a lot different than say a club that has started of at the bottom working their way through to league status, okay Stanley did that, but Stanley's name is known world wide and was long before they regained league status. My other half went on a safari in Kenya in the mid 90s and even the little kids around where she was stay had heard of Stanley, the problem locally is two well established clubs on each side, the people who were around in the sixties went of to watch these clubs bringing their children up to do the same, who in turn have done exactly the same with their kids, then of course with the advent of TV football lots of local kids go glory hunting with the big boys United ect. So what Darwen Red is saying makes a hell of a lot of scene, it needs somebody to think outside the box, people aren't just going to turn up without a lot of outside intervention, incentives, give aways special promotions, its no use the powers that be sitting on their hands and hoping things improve, it ain't going to happen for the reason many of you have already stated

tonyalveston 17-12-2012 10:17

If you consider the actual home crowd was 931, less season ticket holders of say 750, then we only had 181 home supporters paying to watch !!! When it was reported that break even, is a gate of 2000, then that spells serious cash flow problems ahead.

yonmon 17-12-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1032578)

Shssssh !!... Inland Revenue will hear !!..:rolleyes:

lancsdave 17-12-2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyalveston (Post 1032613)
less season ticket holders of say 750,

Not sure what the actual figure is but I think you are at least a couple of hundred off the mark

AsFc62 17-12-2012 10:48

Since Lew left, I dont believe the Club have anybody with Commercial Sense.

What harm would it do to give out 1000 free tickets to the local schools/communities/football clubs. Okay it may not generate the gate receipts but think of the bigger picture. (Commercially)

Accrington Stanley -Merchandise
50/50 Draw
Cheeseburger
Programme

The biggest of them all...... RETURN CUSTOM. The 'Stanley Bug' is infectious, once you've been on and experienced REAL football, REAL fans and non of this modern football tripe, they will come back.
'The Bigger Picture' The freebies catch the bug.
Pay on the gate, buy another programme, have another burger, buy a Stanley Scarf. Who knows come next season they might even buy a season ticket.. IF THEY GET THE PRICING RIGHT.

Moving on, Gate Prices are too expensive particularly just before Christmas, Im also surprised not one thing has been done all season with regards to Offers, Promotions etc well not that I know of because it hasnt been fronted enough. (There have been a few signs propped up here and there with 'Next Fixtures')

Dagenham 5th January - Almost Perfect Opportunity! Chesterfield would be good but they will bring too big of a following.
Put Dagenham Fans in the Cowshed -(dont charge them £17 or whatever it is)
OPEN THE COPPICE for home fans.

Adults/Students/Concessions: Fiver
Kids: Free

I suspect it may be a little too late now.

Anyway Rant over.

MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

lancsdave 17-12-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 1032617)
Since Lew left, I dont believe the Club have anybody with Commercial Sense.

There's a full time commercial manager

Dagenham 5th January - Almost Perfect Opportunity!

Think they will be hoping the Dagenham game is off, it's FA Cup 3rd round day

AsFc62 17-12-2012 12:52

The Dagenham game was an example as there wont be many away fans. I too would prefer an FA CUP 3RD round tie away at a Prem Club :) I can only dream.

I aint a pessimist, Im a realist, we need to get behind the lads to get up that table.

I still stand by that commercially on the tickets/gates side of things we are lacking. Who is the Commercial Manager, perhaps he/she need to have an evening open to fans to put ideas forward, pass opinions on current pricing etc.

Customer is King ;)

cashman 17-12-2012 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 1032629)
The Dagenham game was an example as there wont be many away fans. I too would prefer an FA CUP 3RD round tie away at a Prem Club :) I can only dream.

I aint a pessimist, Im a realist, we need to get behind the lads to get up that table.

I still stand by that commercially on the tickets/gates side of things we are lacking. Who is the Commercial Manager, perhaps he/she need to have an evening open to fans to put ideas forward, pass opinions on current pricing etc.

Customer is King ;)

Agree but would't mind betting we aint got one? Cash is also King.

AccyJay 17-12-2012 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 1032617)
What harm would it do to give out 1000 free tickets to the local schools/communities/football clubs. Okay it may not generate the gate receipts but think of the bigger picture. (Commercially)

I've been saying this for the past 3 years now. There doesn't seem to be anybody within the club that understands.

Greeny 17-12-2012 15:39

Agree with most of these ideas, but they need to be put into practice NOW , as our gate numbers are low , we need that income sooner rather than later or we will be SOS again. I notice hot pies are being sold around the ground now, someones using a bit of common sense. Why not have someone circulating selling scarves etc.
Anyone any idea how much catering vendors pay to sell their food etc. Why not end their contracts at the end of season and start selling food ourselves at sensible prices.

AccyJay 17-12-2012 15:45

They also used to come round to the local pubs selling programs before the game. For some reason this was stopped. I'd love to know how many extra programs they are now selling due to this stroke of marketing genius.

Most people (especially away fans) seemed to prefer to buy a program for the game at the pub so that they could have a read whilst having a pint.

It wouldn't surprise me though, if this is still the case in the Crown.

Pendle Red 17-12-2012 16:52

Been very interesting watching this thread develop, as a Supporters Club and personally as a Supporter we have entered probably into more dialogue with the Club in the last six months than probably at any time with my involvement with the OSC some of which has been taken on board and acted upon and other ideas looked at and will possibly run at later dates.

In terms of a proactive approach there has been with emails, getting back into the schools, into the town itself, flyers in shops etc., there have also been offers on games, pies around the ground, scarves hats etc. is it enough? Can more be done?

As Ash had said getting folk there once is possible with promos but the trick is to keep them coming back and following up their visit by getting genuine feedback so it can be followed up with other offers.

I think most things on the three pages have been covered in some shape or form via discussion and of course I would like to see more of them acted upon!

In terms of communication I have no problem in raising any subject to Board Members or Staff at the Club if anyone would like me to do that?

Also we now have a Supporters Liason Officer in Robert Houseman and a Fan's Director in Joe so the lines of communication are there should you choose or want to use them.

Wynonie Harris 17-12-2012 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 1032654)
In terms of a proactive approach there has been with emails, getting back into the schools, into the town itself, flyers in shops etc.

Ah, there's the crucial point though, we need to go BEYOND the town itself into surrounding townships and areas, Ossy, Church, Clayton of course, but also Rossendale, Darwen, Ribble Valley...even Barrowford! ;)

It's already been stated on here that Accrington Stanley is a hugely recognised name way beyond the town and we ought to be capitalising on that...promoting the club as a real, grassroots alternative to the all-seater, over-commercialised environment of our championship neighbours.

When you look at the number of non-Accringtonians on here and on the terraces (yourself included) who are attracted to the club, it shows that there is something beyond hometown loyalty that attracts people to this club...we need to exploit it! :)

Pendle Red 17-12-2012 17:35

Don't disagree WH in fact the membership of the OSC mimics what you are saying every year there are more from outside Accrington than live in Accrington.

Here is what Brentford FC are doing this weekend LATE OPENING AT TICKET OFFICE

Clarets are currently running Dychember this month which included £10 for an Adult to watch their last home game.

Once inside the ground at Accrington there is limited amount of things to spend your buck on.

Shurm 17-12-2012 18:05

My Daughter came home from School today with a voucher Free under 12's and £5 for any adults, seems they are trying hard to get the message round the Schools.

I'm on crutches at the moment and the Wife is eight months pregnant but I think we will make the effort because my Daughter would like to go.

accybeme 17-12-2012 19:37

if we want to attract new fans we have to make coming to watch a match at The Crown ground an enjoyable occasion, the facilities at our ground are very basic, and owing to corporate entertainment the club house is closed to fans at half time so there is nowhere to have a banter and a drink at half time and discuss scores from matches being played across the country,

mab 17-12-2012 19:53

:) There is intrest in Clitheroe as friends do ask how stanley have got on or how much is it to get in these days. So a little push in the right direction by the club would(could) help swell the gate at home games :) Get in to the schools bring winstanley along giving out free under 12's tickets out and £5 for adults whats there to lose against what could be gained :)

Wynonie Harris 17-12-2012 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1032680)
:) There is intrest in Clitheroe as friends do ask how stanley have got on or how much is it to get in these days. So a little push in the right direction by the club would(could) help swell the gate at home games :) Get in to the schools bring winstanley along giving out free under 12's tickets out and £5 for adults whats there to lose against what could be gained :)

Exactly! But are the club listening to ideas like this? Maybe a word in Joe's ear might help. :)

DaveinGermany 17-12-2012 20:08

When we travel across to Enschede on the approach road is a big Advertising billboard with FC Twente's badge on & the details of their next match.

When we visited my sister at Coventry we took her nippers to the Coventry game they'd done a voucher for a family ticket we ended up saving about a tenner on the normal price. At half time there was a 50/50 & some kind of raffle on with about 5/6 prizes (numbers were on the proggys) so anyone buying a proggy was automatically in with a chance of winning. There was also a beat the mascot penalty shoot out for the kids & I think there was also a hit the bar thingy for older participants.

Revived Red 17-12-2012 20:21

When people have a very limited amount of money to spend on leisure activities, we should also be comparing ourselves against facilities available at other leisure areas. The inadequacies are immediately obvious. Leaving aside football-related issues, we really should have proper toilet and proper catering facilities.

As accybeme says, somewhere pleasant to have a drink, warm up and maybe spend the proverbial penny or two at half time would make the "match day experience" very much better.

Is it not time for the Board to formulate an action plan to address these basic issues?

Grimps 17-12-2012 20:55

If we get sheff united home sell them all the ground .and just put all accy fans in clyton end . then sell all seat to them more money for club. Bk to league game bring bk 15 for pay at gate not 17 .

stanleyhouse 17-12-2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032682)
Exactly! But are the club listening to ideas like this? Maybe a word in Joe's ear might help. :)

Listening or already doing?

Winstanley and I were at St John's Baxenden this morning and Green Haworth and West End Primary last week doing assemblies.

We gave away 300 tickets to kids on Saturday. 38 attended.
We average 400-500 giveaway tickets each match.
Been to Accy, Ossy, Bash, Hapton, Haslingden, Blackburn, Church, Gt Harwood, Crawshawbooth, Clayton with players and/or Winstanley.

The cub has linked with Lancashire County Council to set up the Winstanley Attendance League. See this weeks Accy Observer/ programme.

We also sent 700 discounted tickets for Express Gifts Workers recently.

Have you seen:
Football - Tickets For Troops

Our Community trust also have up to 120 discounted and free tickets for grassroots football teams each match.

Over a quarter of our 469 season ticket holders didn't appear on Saturday!

8000 leaflets were delivered to houses in Hyndburn. Inside were £10 ticket vouchers for Wycombe and Plymouth. Less than 10 have been used so far.

On a positive note we've sold more half season tickets Jan- May than ever before.

maccawozzagod 18-12-2012 00:08

fantastic Rob.

Its good to see a breakdown of what is going on to promote the club. I personally have noted much increase in activity over the last few months and no doubt much of this is due to your education experience.

My primary concern is that initial return figures will see a decrease in activity but as any marketing guru will tell you this SIMPLY HAS TO CONTINUE. Cash is tight in the borough all year round but this time of year is much worse and The Crown is a very cold and unforgiving place through winter. Please ensure that the subliminal message continues to bash eardrums.

The club is more highly thought of around town that it has been for a long time and I have noticed far more people asking how they are going on and knowing things about the club - phase one is complete (ish).

I'd also like to think the powers that be are well aware of their history concerning our club. Time Immemorial will tell you that ASFC or AFC has consistently fought the same struggles. Again. And again. The only time success has ever graced our doorstep has been when the club has led the way with a stragety new to the game - such as the lottery in the early fifties. How can ASFC conjure up new and innovative ways of cornering a market? God only knows but its out there to be found.

The back end of last season and the inauguration of our large and expensively assembled board of directors saw a massive influx of new money (massive by our standards anyway) and I personally would have loved to have seen that bankroll a cheap season ticket. The worry is that this season we wont sell Andy Procter for nearly six figures, we wont get Coleman compensation money, we wont get a shed load of share sales, we wont get a new 18 man board paying their way in ... we'll start next season with a slashed budget and an increase (or freeze) in gate prices.

not good enough to be honest. Someone needs to sit down and work out where all the Rovers and Burnley fans went we left the Conference. They still have an affinity with the club, they just cant afford the prices or discomfort to watch their second team. Rovers as a club are on their arses right now and we should be doing everything financially possible to harvest their fans in come springtime.

Announce the 2013/14 season tickets nice and early, and at a price where Rovers or Burnley would have to commit suicide to compete with (potentials should never be able to say they can watch Championship football cheaper than League 2). Give 2 or 3 months for the early bird offer (march, April, May).

And further to that, let Murray Dawson show us what he is made of and give him fifty quid for every ST sold in return for his company promoting it throughout the region.

Or, value added incentives of some worth. I dont want one free pie, a free pint, and 10% off the club shop. I want a replica shirt, me dad would probably prefer a bench jacket ... be honest, the mark up on replica shirts is ridiculous and can easily be factored into value added, and you'd probably get them shedloads cheaper for a larger order than normal.

What the annual gate income equates to I can only guess, butg if we estimate it at around £500k ... is their an idea out there for sponsorship that can pull in £500k? thus enabling us to GIVE ST's away for almost nowt. Company XYZ has announced record profits and would like to share their profits with the town by giving away free football for a year. You could then have a crazy bid process for season tickets where everyone who wants one sends in their bid (of any amount), the highest 4000 bids get one. Some might bid a hundred, some might only bid a tenner .. how low dare you bid and possibly miss out ....

ha ha last parargraph I'll put down to it being late, but crazier ideas have worked in the past ;)

maccawozzagod 18-12-2012 00:10

but above else, when ever you guys sit around the big table take every idea that is presented and CONSIDER IT before throwing it away as useless. Find a way of making it work rather than finding a reason why it wont work. Negative thinking breeds negative results

Pendle Red 18-12-2012 05:25

Some really good points from both Rob's, I would like to see a ceaseless and creative campaign from now to the end of the season under one banner or one name that groups everything together. one Club & One Community and keep rolling the ideas out under it.

The most important thing is feedback as to what would make people want to come to the Crown Ground why only x number of percent take up free tickets?

As fans we can play a part and already do how many season ticket holders have used their bring a season ticket holder from another club for a fiver offer?

Give us some free tickets or reduced tickets to give away for a particular game that way there is probably a better chance of them being used as they will be targeted by people bringing a mate.

lancsdave 18-12-2012 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyalveston (Post 1032613)
If you consider the actual home crowd was 931, less season ticket holders of say 750

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1032616)
Not sure what the actual figure is but I think you are at least a couple of hundred off the mark

Quote:

750 - 469 isn't a couple of hundred but I'll take it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse (Post 1032716)

Winstanley and I were at St John's Baxenden this morning and Green Haworth and West End Primary last week doing assemblies.

At any point were you and Winstanley in the same room together ? :D:D

lancsdave 18-12-2012 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1032721)
fantastic Rob.

Its good to see a breakdown of what is going on to promote the club.

And probably half killed this thread. :)

Quote:

8000 leaflets were delivered to houses in Hyndburn. Inside were £10 ticket vouchers for Wycombe and Plymouth. Less than 10 have been used so far.
Thats a hell of a poor take up :eek::eek:

AsFc62 18-12-2012 08:56

Gopod Response from StanleyHouse, I didnt know half of that was going on. Make more noise about it ;)

Just keep at it. Keep the ongoing activities consistent, get the Bread & Butter right and we'll be fine. Bums on Seats/Feet on Stands :)

On Stanley On.

AccyJay 18-12-2012 15:43

The basics need to be correct first. When was the last time that you saw a poster advertising Stanleys next game(s) in a local business window? I wish that I had a pound for every time that somebody has asked me who Stanley are playing at the weekend. The club needs to print these posters & deliver them to the shops, & not a case of "oh well, they can download it from OUR site". The same can be said for the away travel.

I was watching Sky Sports News yesterday & saw the Everton team delivering presents to the kids in hospital. Have ASFC done something similar?

Winstanley going round to the local schools is great. But, what about being in the town centre on a Saturday when "little Timmy" is out shopping with the family? If he's already seen Winstanley at school, then he's more likely to pester his parents. Winstanley could then give the said parents the discounted tickets for that game or the next home game.

AccyJay 18-12-2012 15:50

If you really want "bums on seats", then you have to utilise then team (not just in the Crown after a game). If the team were to do a charity event, then there will be a whole lot of FREE publicity that follows.

FFS James Beattie has just joined the staff.

Charity bed push from Accy Vic to Royal Blackburn hospital in aid of the Lancashire Air Ambulance.

One of the biggest problems with ASFC, is that, they always want YOU to do things for THEM.

Whalley Red 18-12-2012 16:01

I'm going to sound like a lone voice here ... maybe because I'm an economist by profession ... but I don't think that cheap season or match tickets are the answer.

Rob has proved that with his report that less than 0.1% of the 8000 £10 ticket offers have been taken up. Together with the figures on the amount of other discounted tickets that have been made available, there clearly isn't a widespread desire to come and watch Stanley in the town and the surrounding areas at the moment.

The maths are clear: for simplicity, if you get 1000 people paying £17, you would need to get 1700 people paying £10 to get the same revenue. That is, a reduction in the price of 41% would need to be matched by an increase in take-up of 70%. There is no chance that this will happen. The Club will lose money if it lowers ticket prices in an effort to raise gates.

But will it make up the money elsewhere?
Not via the food vendors as they have a fixed-price contract (as far as I know);
Maybe via programme sales but the Club will have paid more money for more programmed to be produced so the Club is exposed itself to more risk - it's break-even sales number will have risen while the effect of the ticket offer on attendance is uncertain;
To a very small degree via merchandise as I would suggest that the person who is tempted by saving £7 on his matchday ticket is unlikely to be the customer who will then spend £7+ in the Club shop;
To some degree via the 50:50 draw, but the effectiveness of that draw depends (in the Clayton End at least) upon the efforts of Liz who can't attend all home games.
What if we offer these discounted matchday tickets more times during the season? The effect is twofold. First, we make it less likely that the people who come because of the £10 price will then come when it is the normal £17. Unless they have become 'hooked' by their one discounted visit (unlikely, see later), why pay full price for a match when there will be another discounted match coming up very soon? Second, we significantly diminish the value of the season (or half-season) ticket.

What if we reduced the matchday ticket to £10 for the whole of next season (and correspondingly reduced the price of the season tickets)? That would be great for the fans! We would certainly see an increase in the number of season tickets sold as they would become more affordable and they would be better value as there would be less discounted matches during the season. But our attendances would need to rise by 70% across the entire season and not just one match. If it won't happen for one match, it certainly won't happen for the whole season and the loss of so much money could threaten the Club's existence.

Two things are obvious to me:
People who are tempted up the Club to watch a match, whether it is because of an offer or just out of interest, rarely come back.
The Club doesn't know precisely why there is such apathy within the surrounding areas towarding attendance at Stanley matches.
I have spoken to (and heard) lots of people who have come to the Crown Ground for the first time (or for the first time in a long time) and I have yet to hear one of them speak positively about their experience. They may have enjoyed the football - there have been some cracking games recently, but how many of us have been engrossed in the other games as a fan rather than as someone looking to be entertained - but the facilities have been lambasted almost every time. It is disheartening to hear 'never coming back' so many times. As diehard fans, we tolerate them, maybe even revel in them, but the facilities at our Club will not encourage occasional visitors to come back on a regular basis.

When was the last time that the Club engaged in some proper market research? Everyone in East Lancashire is a potential customer, yet the Club does not appear to know why they don't come (again) to games. At least, we no longer have a Chairman who complains about the public's apathy in the local paper, but we have no right to simply expect people to come to the Crown Ground despite the enormous benefit that we have from the 'Stanley' brand. As Rob has shown, it is not the issue of matchday prices that are keeping people away from the Crown Ground, yet we keep offering promotions in terms of price only. I suspect that the issue is one of facilities, but knowing our (potential) customers is of primary importance for the Club if it is to increase its future attendances and revenues.

Apart from the need for proper market research, could I make two suggestions, albeit for next season?
Scrap the £15/£17 distinction and just make the matchday prices a uniform £15 for adults. I know that I have just argued that a significant reduction in prices will lose money, but the prices are £15 before matchday anyway so the only people that are being penalised are the last-minute walk-on customers who are the type of people we want to attract back to the Club. Visiting fans know before the match if they are going to attend, so they will benefit from the £15 pre-matchday price and regular local fans will also benefit from the pre-matchday price, so again it is the people whom we want to attract that we are imposing a £2 surcharge upon. It may raise a few extra quid for the Club, but it is targetted at the wrong people. Just as important are the psychological effects of a price. I remember that there was quite a lot of grumbling when the price rose above £10 and it is, to a lesser extent, the same with £15 - two notes rather than two notes plus at least a couple more coins as well. The other psychological effect of the price is that we cannot be more expensive than either Rovers or Burnley. Adult matchday tickets in the Riverside Stand at Rovers are £15. I have yet to speak to any non-Stanley fan season who isn't surprised at the cost of our walk-on prices.

Enable season tickets to be paid via monthly direct debit up to the beginning of the season. I know that the additional cost of insurance has previously been raised, but the impact on the number of season tickets sold would more than offset any cost. As Rob pointed out, over 25% of our season ticket holders did not attend on Saturday. For me, it was a relief. It meant that over 120 people had already given the Club its ticket money for this game (during last summer), but didn't turn up. In other words, at least 120 people paid on the gate more than would have been expected for this level of attendance. Season tickets are vitally important for the Club. Not only do they bring in money during the summer months, but the Club receives the money whether the person turned up for the match or not. The more that can be done to increase the number of season ticket holders, the better it will be for the Club.
So what needs to be done now? I think that we all agree that the free kids tickets (with £5 for any accompanying adult) are necessary in the current climate, but they are only a very short-term answer even if they are effective. In my opinion, the Club needs to engage in some proper market research and, if the results are as I suspect, prioritise either an improvement in the facilities here at the Crown Ground or, ultimately, return to Ilyas' dream of a new stadium. When we rank last in the division in average attendances, we need to seriously improve our non-match revenue streams.

cashman 18-12-2012 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1032802)
The basics need to be correct first. When was the last time that you saw a poster advertising Stanleys next game(s) in a local business window? I wish that I had a pound for every time that somebody has asked me who Stanley are playing at the weekend. The club needs to print these posters & deliver them to the shops, & not a case of "oh well, they can download it from OUR site".

That to me is good point n summat the club needs to consider, its only a couple of weeks ago a businessman was saying to me, They want people to help,yet expect me to download n print it, well it aint gonna happen. Stuff like this aint rocket science its common sense!

One of the biggest problems with ASFC, is that, they always want YOU to do things for THEM.[/QUOTE] I wish i had a quid fer everyone thats said this to me oer the years. Whilst i accept people are working hard n doing there best, Still need to wake up n smell the coffee.

Wynonie Harris 18-12-2012 16:48

Quote:

We average 400-500 giveaway tickets each match.
Been to Accy, Ossy, Bash, Hapton, Haslingden, Blackburn, Church, Gt Harwood, Crawshawbooth, Clayton with players and/or Winstanley.

The cub has linked with Lancashire County Council to set up the Winstanley Attendance League. See this weeks Accy Observer/ programme.

We also sent 700 discounted tickets for Express Gifts Workers recently.

Have you seen:
Football - Tickets For Troops

Our Community trust also have up to 120 discounted and free tickets for grassroots football teams each match.

On a positive note we've sold more half season tickets Jan- May than ever before.

Good to hear (apart from some of the take-ups on the offers), but it's a pity it took a thread like this to elicit this information. Us Stanley obsessives/neurotics need to know about these things! ;)

Also, I know I keep saying this, but we need to cast our net even wider! The Ribble Valley, perhaps even up to Barnoldswick, West of Blackburn - we're only 5 minutes away from the M65, the main artery of East Lancs. We need to expoit this!

AccyJay 18-12-2012 16:52

Quote:

8000 leaflets were delivered to houses in Hyndburn. Inside were £10 ticket vouchers for Wycombe and Plymouth. Less than 10 have been used so far
I it would be interesting to find out how many people actually received these leaflet.

AsFc62 18-12-2012 17:31

Great post WhalleyRed. Everything weighs up economically, and the problem certainly lies on Stanleys Doorstep. Facilities never have and probably never will be to the Standard that act as a selling point for 'prospetive fans' to come and watch.

Season ticket payment types are a must have. Perhaps quarterly payments(through season no annually).

The Family Experience 2Adults 2Kids etc is a big focus area.

Glad to see a thread eliciting a very good discussion.

AccyJay 18-12-2012 17:41

Hyndburn has a population of just under 81,500 people. If half of these people are adults then the club has an enormous amount of work to do. 3% of the adult population in Hyndburn attending Stanley games.

jaysay 18-12-2012 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1032819)
Hyndburn has a population of just under 81,500 people. If half of these people are adults then the club has an enormous amount of work to do. 3% of the adult population in Hyndburn attending Stanley games.

With the greatest respect AccyJay, it isn't adults you need to attract to Stanley, its their kids, most people with kids over 10 and are interested in football will long ago selected which club they were supporting, with kids you do stand a chance to convert them to the cause, but even that ain't going to be easy this day and age, with wall to wall coverage of the Big boys in this country and also Italy Spain and Germany every week on Sky, there's a German League Game on ESPN tonight, so that's what clubs like Stanley are up against, its not easy.

Barrie Yates 18-12-2012 18:14

Quote:

We certainly didn't receive one:confused:

AccyJay 18-12-2012 18:15

I totally agree. The main problem is that the club don't even seem to be trying to tap into this potential.

AccyJay 18-12-2012 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1032834)
We certainly didn't receive one:confused:

We have our quiz night later. I'll be asking all the people if they got one.

cashman 18-12-2012 18:18

Thing is most owd farts like me went elsewhere in 62,when accy did,nt have a club anymore, we were in teens or some younger back then, we got wed etc took the kids to wherever we were going etc etc, unlike me most never returned to Stanley, which is understandable cos footy is tribal, Attracting tomorrows fans is a must, its gotta be the kids.;)

maccawozzagod 18-12-2012 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 1032816)

Season ticket payment types are a must have. Perhaps quarterly payments(through season no annually).

just a reminder, you can put money onto your 'account' with the club shop ... thus creating a monthly, weekly, daily flexible saver plan :eek:

lancsdave 18-12-2012 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1032875)
just a reminder, you can put money onto your 'account' with the club shop ... thus creating a monthly, weekly, daily flexible saver plan :eek:

Is that scheme still going ? Bear in mind it was being run when they had a full time retail manager

lancsdave 18-12-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1032811)
I it would be interesting to find out how many people actually received these leaflet.

We didn't get one.

cashman 18-12-2012 20:41

we didn't.

lancsdave 18-12-2012 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1032803)
One of the biggest problems with ASFC, is that, they always want YOU to do things for THEM.

Amen :rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 18-12-2012 20:48

Dread to think what the gate will be on Saturday now. :eek:

lancsdave 18-12-2012 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032900)

It won't be lower than last week ;)

lancsdave 18-12-2012 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1032802)
Winstanley going round to the local schools is great. But, what about being in the town centre on a Saturday when "little Timmy" is out shopping with the family? If he's already seen Winstanley at school, then he's more likely to pester his parents. Winstanley could then give the said parents the discounted tickets for that game or the next home game.

Murray's crew have been down town a few times in recent months on a Saturday. Problem is it's the quietest day of the week in town

Stanleymad 18-12-2012 21:23

Big problem stanley have is the apathy, lack of inspiring performances is not helping even with the stanley fans atm. Big squeeze in the economy is footy is a luxury so liable to be cut, pester power doesnt work if the footy interest isnt there among the adults. We only have to look at saturdays home match and the lowest attendance for a long while, poor performance is gonna be the most detrimental if its not addressed - success breeds success and its not been flying around the crown ground for a while.

Stanleymad 18-12-2012 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032900)

If the performance is anything like saturdays then gate will be worrying, i accidently brought my uni coursework to footy - i dont want to start intentionally bringing it while we play hahahahaha:D

smobile 19-12-2012 08:17

Great Post by Whalley Red and great point about penalising the "walk-ons" with a £2 surcharge - talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Me & two mates were in the club shop on Friday morning and we toyed with the idea of each getting a ticket at £15, but decided not to as there was a doubt at the time whether the game would be on or not.

Come Saturday and the game is on - get tucked up for another £2 each!

How about trying a few more Friday Night Games ???? Not sure how well they fared last time we tried it.

jaysay 19-12-2012 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1032932)
Great Post by Whalley Red and great point about penalising the "walk-ons" with a £2 surcharge - talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Me & two mates were in the club shop on Friday morning and we toyed with the idea of each getting a ticket at £15, but decided not to as there was a doubt at the time whether the game would be on or not.

Come Saturday and the game is on - get tucked up for another £2 each!

How about trying a few more Friday Night Games ???? Not sure how well they fared last time we tried it.

Think that's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic smobile, can't think that friday would attract more bums on seats or feet on the terraces, if the product ain't right.

smobile 19-12-2012 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1032950)
Think that's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic smobile, can't think that friday would attract more bums on seats or feet on the terraces, if the product ain't right.

If the Titanic had sailed a day earlier though Jaysay, chances are it wouldn't have gone down :D

jaysay 19-12-2012 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1032955)
If the Titanic had sailed a day earlier though Jaysay, chances are it wouldn't have gone down :D

Sometimes your names on an iceberg smobile:D

yonmon 19-12-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1032961)
Sometimes your names on an iceberg smobile:D

Perhaps that's why Captain Smith was heard to say... 'Lettuce pray' !.

deeayess 19-12-2012 18:29

The voucher schememay not have a good take up because you have to present the voucher at the club before the matchday which means the hassle of going up to the ground for locals and the extra cost for people outwith Accy could negate the savings on the ticket. In my case it is impossible to come down and present the voucher although I received mine by email presumably because of my account with the accy store. Why not just reduce the online cost to £10 instead of £15 for those games as all the details required on the voucher are already held by the club. For some strange reason the cost of an online Plymouth ticket is £16!!!

The weather is a factor at this time of year as it isn't always possible to get to a rearranged midweek game so people do hold off buying in advance or even travelling on the day if it looks dodgy. It costs me over £30 to travel down and I have to leave home by 9am to be sure of making the game so this time of year usually means missing games that are doubtful although thanks to MrT for his weather updates for the Oxford came on the 1st.

Why not bring back the deal where you could buy a block of say 10 discounted tickets for league games and use them for 10 seperate games or multiple tickets for seperate games. this would help people who travel and can't make midweek games or persuade a group of people to take some others on the spur without comitting to buying a ticket that can't be used for a specific game.

Companies like Ryanair can make people jump through hoops for massive discounts as people usually need to use them, with Stanley it's the other way round. We need to make it as easy as possible. Targetting kids has to be the way to go as they can get a parent to come or they can get used to coming and keep at it as they grow up. As previously stated a generation was lost to Stanley when the old club folded and we need to get people back. Stanley are a second team to many, me included, so often if games clash Stanley suffers however Friday nights don't help as there can be travel problems for people outwith Accy including away fans or if you do watch another team and they play Saturday then Accy lose again as 2 games in a weekend can be a costly business.

I'm lucky that I have friends in Accy and know people at the club as well so I can get round most problems but not everyone can. So, now that Scotrail have called off the strike on Saturday and the weather looks not to bad I can plan for saturday and try for my £10 ticket :). Although what's the score with these £5 tickets with season tickets? I've not heard of that one!!

lancsdave 19-12-2012 21:17

Dagenham and Wimbledon up in January. Neither with an army of fans to bring.

BOGOF ? :D

ddevil2006 20-12-2012 07:37

morecambe pulled just over 900 for there lancashire senior cup game against man united youth last night

Exile on Spencer St 20-12-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeayess (Post 1033044)

...Targetting kids has to be the way to go as they can get a parent to come or they can get used to coming and keep at it as they grow up. As previously stated a generation was lost to Stanley when the old club folded and we need to get people back.

Nail-head-hit.
So keep up the excellent work, Winstanley, and, if it isn't already your aim, plan to get out to every primary school in the area. Take a player with you where you can. Don't under-estimate [a] the impact a real-live professional footballer can have on 5-10 year old kids and [b] the impact 5-10 year old kids can have on an adult's decision on what to do on a Saturday afternoons. If you give away 300 tickets to kids and get 38 turn up, that could be 38 adults as well. I presume the other 264 tickets didn't take up a seat that someone else could have paid for. Next time it might be 50. Then 60. But it has to be worked on, slowly and surely, with the local schools without expecting miracles.
Just like a dog with a bone, Winstanley.