Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Aldershot Away Travel (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/aldershot-away-travel-63241.html)

AsFc62 02-01-2013 10:01

Aldershot Away Travel

With Stanley finally back to winning ways and after we beat Dagenham this Saturday, Stanley will be heading down to Aldershot.

Aldershot Away 12th January

Subject to numbers, I will be delighted to run Away Travel for everyone again.

£20 per person
Set off : TBC

Plain and simple guys, 35 people required.

Please contact me to book on

Thanks

AsFc62 07-01-2013 12:15

Re: Aldershot Away Travel

COACH IS CANCELLED.

Unfortunately only 10 people booked on.

Sorry Folks

alan7554 08-01-2013 01:16

pure apathy,when stanley were promoted to the conference,the 1st match was aldershot away,there were about 500+ fans there,robbie williams scored a cracker and john kennedy made his asfc debut in goal,lost 2-1 but look at it now not even 100 going,asfc going down faster than the titanic,people do not want a footy team in accrington,and if this carries on there will be no asfc in the league,results are bad,attendances are very low.Not enough support,never has been and never will be FACT.

lancsdave 08-01-2013 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan7554 (Post 1036039)
pure apathy,when stanley were promoted to the conference,the 1st match was aldershot away,there were about 500+ fans there,robbie williams scored a cracker and john kennedy made his asfc debut in goal,lost 2-1 but look at it now not even 100 going,asfc going down faster than the titanic,people do not want a footy team in accrington,and if this carries on there will be no asfc in the league,results are bad,attendances are very low.Not enough support,never has been and never will be FACT.

Total contradiction. 500+ fans at Aldershot, then you say there has never been enough support :confused:

smobile 08-01-2013 08:39

It's also called a "recession" and "folks with families" and "two weeks after xmas".

AccyMad 08-01-2013 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan7554 (Post 1036039)

So you'll be going then will you - oh no, sorry - bit of a trek form where you are :rolleyes: (time must have dimmed you memory, I think you'll find it was Proccy who scored the goal that first match in the conference)

alan7554 08-01-2013 11:48

ok my mistake yes it was proccy who scored at our away end and the point i am making is we got very good crowds in the conference and not when asfc are in the football league the attendences are not good enough and on another note were you there that day, asfc had better gates then and 7 years later the attendences have got worse not better,and as for not going to any matches i do my bit over here,we have an asfc supporters club in my local pub where we meet every monday evening and talk about all things asfc related.i also think that i was there from many years ago when we were in the northern premier league or cant you remember that or did you not go then in the late 80s- early 90.s i have followed them all over the country so dont give me any crap about not being there

alan7554 08-01-2013 11:53

so there was not a recession in the late 90.s when asfc got promoted to the conference dont talk out of your hat its about people not supporting there local team when they should be,compere the conference gates to the football league gates now and there is a big difference,fact asfc cant survive on these low gates

smobile 08-01-2013 12:03

From my recollection Alan, there was a recession in the early 90's and Stanley went into the conference in 2003 - i think the beer must be a bit too strong in Bangcock. :eek:

lancsdave 08-01-2013 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan7554 (Post 1036079)
compere the conference gates to the football league gates now

There's a big difference in attendances when a team are winning and when they are losing, it's not special to Accrington, it's just how it happens

smobile 08-01-2013 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1036089)
There's a big difference in attendances when a team are winning and when they are losing, it's not special to Accrington, it's just how it happens

Spot on Dave - People like watching a winning team.

Hence the lost 15'000+ at Ewood Park from the mid 90's

Wynonie Harris 08-01-2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan7554 (Post 1036078)
i also think that i was there from many years ago when we were in the northern premier league or cant you remember that or did you not go then in the late 80s- early 90s

Right, I've been supporting Stanley since 1960, including Lancs Comb at Peel Park in the '60's, and Lancs Comb/Cheshire League/North West Premier in the 70's/80's/90's, so don't brand me a Johnny-come-lately.

One of the many charms of Stanley has always been throughout our history that, logically, in terms of size of town, support base etc., we shouldn't exist as a league club...yet we do and hopefully will carry on doing so. It's the triumph of dreams over reality.

In terms of cold, hard statistics, I don't recall the conference gates being any higher than our league gates overall. Sure, we started off with some high gates in the first flush of success, but that soon dropped off and gates plummeted towards the 1,000 in our first conference season.

Secondly, the economic climate does have something to do with it. It grieves me to say it, but Accrington is a poor town which seems to be getting poorer - witness the rows of closed shops in the Arndale. Seventeen quid to get on the Crown is quite literally too much for some people.

And as Dave says, people won't come to watch a losing team.

What do you suggest we do? Say to ourselves as you do, "not enough support, never has been, never will be" and give up? Us Stanley fans are made of sterner stuff than that!

Exile on Spencer St 08-01-2013 13:13

Amen to that, Wynonie.
Let's hope there's some stern but happy faces at Aldershot on Saturday.

lancsdave 08-01-2013 13:15

I seem to recall being down the Turf with 1400 others for league games in the old 4th Division. When you look at it that way Stanley support actually holds up well :)

Of course Stanley want bigger crowds but there's only one way of getting them on a regular basis, win games. In this day and age I doubt many teams rely on gate money to finance the challenge for success.

alan7554 08-01-2013 14:24

please dont get me wrong my heart has always been with asfc but it erks me when people only go when they are doing well,remember the saying KEEP THE FAITH,its about supporting your team through thick and thin and i am sorry to say that the people off accrington are to fickle to deserve a football league team again it happened in 1962,lets not let it happen again,i wish i was there on saturdays i miss the lads on the clayton end and the banter,just saying what i think that unless the town supports asfc then asfc are not going to survive, from bangkok i wish allasfc supporters a happy new year sawadee pee mai 2013