Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   "Help us see the light" (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/help-us-see-the-light-65664.html)

stanleyhouse 29-01-2014 22:41

"Help us see the light"

It's just six weeks before we make the short journey to play our neighbours Rochdale at Spotland.
The fixture has seen various sponsored walks between the two clubs and this year is no different.
On Saturday 15th March a group of fans and directors will set off from the Crown Ground to walk the 15 miles to Spotland. The aim is to raise money to go towards the planned upgrade of our floodlights for the start of the 2014/15 season. If you fancy joining us and raising some money by walking to Rochdale please register and pick up a sponsor form and further details from reception from Saturday or email [email protected]
"Help us see the light"

Redraine 30-01-2014 23:10

Re: "Help us see the light"

I'm proud to have done the last walk to Rochdale and what a day it was! I had more beers in the pub at Norden than for many years before or since and can't really remember the match, but think it might have been when Symes scored his wonder goal? I do remember having the dubious pleasure of confronting the Don in the pub, when he assured me the taxman's bill would be payed. True it was, but not by him or his mates on the board! I won't be walking this time but, as I have complained long and loud this season about our lousy floodlights I will be putting my money where my mouth is and will be donating 50 quid to the cause. Lets get behind the brave walkers!

Chubbyman 30-01-2014 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1092347)
I'm proud to have done the last walk to Rochdale and what a day it was! I had more beers in the pub at Norden than for many years before or since and can't really remember the match, but think it might have been when Symes scored his wonder goal? I do remember having the dubious pleasure of confronting the Don in the pub, when he assured me the taxman's bill would be payed. True it was, but not by him or his mates on the board! I won't be walking this time but, as I have complained long and loud this season about our lousy floodlights I will be putting my money where my mouth is and will be donating 50 quid to the cause. Lets get behind the brave walkers!

A great gesture I'll match it.

Whalley Red 31-01-2014 08:34

So will I.

And what a volley that was! :D

Guilly 06-02-2014 15:43

Just picked up my sponsor form this afternoon. Sounds like a brilliant cause to raise money towards! Hopefully we can get a fair few fans walking and raising money.

Redraine 06-02-2014 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilly (Post 1093331)
Just picked up my sponsor form this afternoon. Sounds like a brilliant cause to raise money towards! Hopefully we can get a fair few fans walking and raising money.

Good stuff. First five there get an extra tenner each on their sponsorship forms from me. I like a bit of competition to keep you going in the mist and rain over Owd Betts! See Robert Houseman at the walkers meeting on 4th March?

stanleyhouse 10-02-2014 22:30

Thanks for the donations and Redraine's generous offer. If you'd like to walk you can pick up sponsorship forms from reception. We are also having a meeting for walkers in the Founders Lounge on Tuesday 4th March at 7pm.

stanleyhouse 24-02-2014 21:17

Thanks to all those who have pledged. Just a reminder for those interested in walking, there is a meeting on Tuesday 4th March at 7pm in the Founders Lounge.
You can get sponsor forms on the night or from Reception during office hours.

VALAIRIAN 14-03-2014 11:57

Almost at the day of the races now, cannot help feel that this idea seemed better at the time... :) :) :)

As I remember after the last hike, we were treated to a spectacular goal from Symes, more of the same - if I make it - please Moly :) :) :)

P.S. Massive thanks to all who have pledged :)

Stanleymad 15-03-2014 12:22

This is a fab idea, though a little bemused as to why the OSC has not been supporting this ventre Too add to the history that stanley were one of the 1st to have floodlights, it would of been a perfect opportunity to further the legacy of the stanley exhibition - sponsoring or raising money for specific club projects is supposed to be up their alley isnt it?

Glad somebody has took the idea forward good luck to you all and hope your feet dont ache :D

bdc 15-03-2014 12:32

The OSC has supported the club with plenty of things over the years, whether that be time, money or resources.

The OSC sponsor players shirts each year, they organise the supporters end of season event, they sponsor a board at the ground, they actively promote Stanley on Twitter continuously (in some regards a lot more than the club does itself) they've bought shares in the club, paid for work done to the clubhouse, toilet block and changing rooms. They have also made sure that the Main Stand was renamed in honour of Jack, this was also paid for by the OSC. To say they don't do anything is quite ridiculous, the list above is things I can think of just of the top of my head.

Stanleymad 15-03-2014 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 1097963)
The OSC has supported the club with plenty of things over the years, whether that be time, money or resources.

The OSC sponsor players shirts each year, they organise the supporters end of season event, they sponsor a board at the ground, they actively promote Stanley on Twitter continuously (in some regards a lot more than the club does itself) they've bought shares in the club, paid for work done to the clubhouse, toilet block and changing rooms. They have also made sure that the Main Stand was renamed in honour of Jack, this was also paid for by the OSC. To say they don't do anything is quite ridiculous, the list above is things I can think of just of the top of my head.

Yes ive been part of the osc in the past im quite aware of what they have done and not knocking that at all, just surprised that the floodlight campaign was missed:eek:

To add further, osc did organise and promote the exhibition in 2008 (i was part of that committee) im bemused why that legacy we made isnt being continued, as i explained floodlights is a historical topic and have not noted any promotion of it till the fans that org the walk today mentioned it and as im aware the osc hasnt fronted it.

Pendle Red 15-03-2014 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanleymad (Post 1097964)
Yes ive been part of the osc in the past im quite aware of what they have done and not knocking that at all, just surprised that the floodlight campaign was missed:eek:

To add further, osc did organise and promote the exhibition in 2008 (i was part of that committee) im bemused why that legacy we made isnt being continued, as i explained floodlights is a historical topic and have not noted any promotion of it till the fans that org the walk today mentioned it and as im aware the osc hasnt fronted it.

The walk as you will see above in the Thread was organised by Directors and Well Done to those who took part.

This one for me is down to personal choice for the Supporters and if they choose personally to support it or not the Floodlights have to be replaced by the beginning of next Season by FL Criteria regardless.

You said yourself you knew nothing about it till today so has the Club itself supported it?

stanleyhouse 15-03-2014 13:45

I'm a fan, a director and a Supporters club member. The walk was the idea of a 16 year old girl, Sarah. I've just helped the idea become reality.

Please don't blame the OSC. Its a difficult job with only 35 members of which half live abroad.

The fourteen of us who walked thoroughly enjoyed the experience and this will hopefully be the catalyst for further fundraising events. We've had some great ideas between us.

Im sure the OSC, will help with future ventures. Sponsored walks are not everybody's cup of tea.

lancsdave 15-03-2014 13:54

Re-interpreting the original question, it was about publicity, and the options for that. Nowt to do with who's done what or blame :).

Quote:

Floodlights have to be replaced by the beginning of next Season by FL Criteria regardless.
Do we know what's required ? Is it just stronger bulbs or is there some structural stuff to do ?

Stanleymad 15-03-2014 18:01

"Help us see the light"

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1097976)
Re-interpreting the original question, it was about publicity, and the options for that. Nowt to do with who's done what or blame :).

Do we know what's required ? Is it just stronger bulbs or is there some structural stuff to do ?

I'm glad somebody actually read what I put :)

teabag 16-03-2014 07:09

what happened to the monte carlo rally money ?

Pendle Red 16-03-2014 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by teabag (Post 1098063)
what happened to the monte carlo rally money ?

Signage for the Jack Barrett Memorial Stand with Some left

the Gents Toilets at the Clayton End floor was also strengthened and new vinyl fitted.

Wynonie Harris 16-03-2014 09:15

Floodlights have to be replaced by the start of next season? I love the way information just casually trickles out at Stanley. Not blaming you, Google Page Ranking, but surely the club should have made an official announcement when they knew along the lines of "xx work at a cost of £xxx needs to be done" and launched a full-scale fundraising campaign? Our continued FL membership depends on it!

Wynonie Harris 16-03-2014 09:18

For Google Page Ranking, above, read Pendle Red. I wish they'd get this soddin' glitch fixed on here!

Mr T 16-03-2014 10:30

Apologises for going on the defensive; but we don't tell everybody all the changing FL rules, we just get on and do them otherwise we'd run out of time!!

The FL are constantly making changes to a whole host of things which they believe (and are voted on by the clubs) will improve the League.

Things like Wi-Fi in the pressbox, increased seats in the press box, fair match day prices, minimum number of spaces for away supporters, more qualifications for team medical staff, more home grown players on the team sheets and improvements to the floodlights.

And don't get me started on the 50 page document for new Premier League regulations!!

Basically the floodlights at most League 1 and League 2 grounds need tweaks and upgrades. ASFC are luckier than most as we have 6 pylons where as most clubs only have 4. We are constantly making improvements behind the scenes in all areas. We choose (unless the Board decide otherwise) to get on with it rather than have a large media department to report on all of what we do!!.

Well done to all of those that walked yesterday and raised funds for this important project.:)

DAV007 16-03-2014 10:37

well said Mr.T

Wynonie Harris 16-03-2014 10:47

Increased seats in the pressbox, increased seats for away supporters and the like are hardly likely to require major fundraising, but upgrading the floodlights seems like a different thing altogether. What changes are required and most important of all, what's the total cost going to be? Surely we should have a figure to aim at?

lancsdave 16-03-2014 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanleymad (Post 1098006)
I'm glad somebody actually read what I put :)

That's your theory of me never listening to what you say out of the window :D

lancsdave 16-03-2014 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1098080)
What changes are required and most important of all, what's the total cost going to be? Surely we should have a figure to aim at?

Would be interesting to know ?How much is a light bulb ? :)

6 floodlight pylons. Think it was Shaker who said in another thread we have to think outside the box. How many clubs have floodlight sponsors ? :rolleyes:

Stanleymad 16-03-2014 11:40

"Help us see the light"

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1098084)
That's your theory of me never listening to what you say out of the window :D

That's because it's written down hahahaha :p

Exile on Spencer St 16-03-2014 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1098075)
We choose (unless the Board decide otherwise) to get on with it rather than have a large media department to report on all of what we do!!.

:eek: Getting on with it! That's reason enough for moans on here, Mr.T!
Well done to all Stanley Wanderers.

teabag 16-03-2014 12:17

where did the other two pylons go

cashman 16-03-2014 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by teabag (Post 1098092)
where did the other two pylons go

What other 2,did we have eight or summat?:confused::D

Mr T 16-03-2014 13:01

8 pylons came from Enfield, in the mid 80's. Six were used to light the pitch and I think 2 were placed behind the Coppice terrace (if I remember correctly) with a view to making a floodlight all weather area there. Sadly for a whole host for reasons this never happened.

Seem to think these pylons were then removed.

Can some other "senior" fans remind us all IF I'm "wrong"!!:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 16-03-2014 13:19

You're right, Mr T! Was there for the first match after floodlights were installed - pre-season friendly, v Salford City 86/87 season and yep, there were two pylons on the Coppice End.

teabag 16-03-2014 14:55

correct Mr T, they where for an all weather pitch for public and training use, but again the local objected to mr Alty's plans. Stanleys first game under floodlights at the crown was against Penrith on wednesday 10th September 1986

MikeA 17-03-2014 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1098075)
And don't get me started on the 50 page document for new Premier League regulations!!

Well, not for four years... ;)

cashman 17-03-2014 07:08

Ah so was 8 initally, was living away back then.:)

VALAIRIAN 17-03-2014 09:06

Would just like to say a big thanks to the people who donated in the stands on Saturday :)

Choirboy, Redash and Pietro's dad :) :) :)

Thanks also to all who have given and who are still to give :)

Redraine 17-03-2014 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1098177)

Thanks also to all who have given and who are still to give :)

My cheque from weeks ago has not been cashed!

VALAIRIAN 17-03-2014 11:12

It will be soon, event is now completed ;) :)

Thanks also for your generosity :) :)

Will we see you Tuesday?

:) :) :)

Redraine 17-03-2014 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1098187)
It will be soon, event is now completed ;) :)

Thanks also for your generosity :) :)

Will we see you Tuesday?

:) :) :)

Hope so, mate!

fc:stanley 17-03-2014 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1098068)
Floodlights have to be replaced by the start of next season? I love the way information just casually trickles out at Stanley. Not blaming you, Google Page Ranking, but surely the club should have made an official announcement when they knew along the lines of "xx work at a cost of £xxx needs to be done" and launched a full-scale fundraising campaign? Our continued FL membership depends on it!

That would be to easy Wynonie! Too easy to put a total amount and have some kind of totaliser to show where we are up to! Then people can take a look and help in a way they can! Until a friend of mine came up to me for a sponsor for the walk I'd never heard a peep of the fundraiser and I'm a regular on twitter and Facebook etc!

This club is run with people who have never run a football club or even a business and are clueless on running a club and especially about media and how to sell the club!

Until the rusty nails are out of the wood and repaired then I won't be doing the walks or doing any fundraising as I have no idea where it goes and why were actually doing it.

HOWEVER, well done to the brave souls on Saturday morning!! Great effort! I know how it feels after doing it twice so you deserved a pint and a big rest on Sunday!

stanleyhouse 17-03-2014 17:44

I'd like to reiterate Joe's thanks to all those who donated/ are donating and especially to Chubbyman who arrived to see us off at 7:30am. It was a nice touch.
Redraine, your cheque is safe. Didn't want to cash it until we had completed the walk.
Not all of the 14 walkers have handed their sponsor money in but as soon as I've got a figure I'll let you know the amount raised.
Finally, thanks to all the walkers , you deserved your lie in yesterday!

lancsdave 17-03-2014 19:10

I think we need to step back a bit to post 14

Quote:

The walk was the idea of a 16 year old girl, Sarah.
I was talking to the young lady in question on the club car park tonight and she seems quite pleased her little bit of supporter initiative went well, and she could do her bit. The directors who walked with her were adding support to her idea.

There is no official request for fundraising or floodlight replacement required. It's a matter of adding more light. Of course these bulbs aren't your average energy saving bulb from Tesco and cost a few hundred pounds each.

Mr T 17-03-2014 19:36

Damn, do Netto sell these bulbs!!

I'll check in the morning; 2000w metal haloide; (long life bright white)

Now just need a friend to climb up the pylons with a couple of spanners.

Isn't life easy with good friends on Accyweb!;)

lancsdave 17-03-2014 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1098259)

Can't see spanners being a problem, I'll catch you a couple down town in the morning :)

maccawozzagod 17-03-2014 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 1097963)

I think the problem, and why people have to ask what the OSC has done, is that there is little self-promotion. If you don't go to a meeting you don't know what's going on

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse (Post 1097973)
Please don't blame the OSC. Its a difficult job with only 35 members of which half live abroad.

possibly as a result of the first paragraph?

anyway, well done to all the walkers, sterling effort :)

bdc 17-03-2014 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1098273)
I think the problem, and why people have to ask what the OSC has done, is that there is little self-promotion. If you don't go to a meeting you don't know what's going on

possibly as a result of the first paragraph?

anyway, well done to all the walkers, sterling effort :)

Is this not a case of just a similar pattern happening with the number of supporters of the club continuing to diminish? The long term trend is that there are fewer coming on games and this is bound to have had an effect on membership of OSC too. How many people were involved in the walk from the wider fanbase? Do you have anything to suggest about the OSC because I'm sure members would be receptive to ideas?

Pendle Red 18-03-2014 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1098255)
I think we need to step back a bit to post 14

I was talking to the young lady in question on the club car park tonight and she seems quite pleased her little bit of supporter initiative went well, and she could do her bit. The directors who walked with her were adding support to her idea.

There is no official request for fundraising or floodlight replacement required. It's a matter of adding more light. Of course these bulbs aren't your average energy saving bulb from Tesco and cost a few hundred pounds each.

Well Done to Sarah just the sort of energy that is needed from the younger fan-base for the Club to move forward.

Dave what is the total cost for adding more Light?

lancsdave 18-03-2014 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 1098307)
Dave what is the total cost for adding more Light?

I'm afraid I can't shine any light on to that one :)

Chubbyman 18-03-2014 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1098259)

I'll sort the cherry picker out if you give me a ring Mark.

smobile 18-03-2014 14:01

1 Attachment(s)
I think the "missing" two plylons are visible in this photo.

Guilly 31-03-2014 19:31

Would like to again thank everyone for their kind donations and a huge congratulations to all that walked. We have a grand total of £1500 raised so far with possibly more donations to come in!

The £1500 means we have raised enough money for 2 new bulbs! :D:D

lancsdave 31-03-2014 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilly (Post 1100658)
Would like to again thank everyone for their kind donations and a huge congratulations to all that walked. We have a grand total of £1500 raised so far with possibly more donations to come in!

The £1500 means we have raised enough money for 2 new bulbs! :D:D

Well done :). Hopefully there will be a 3 for 2 offer on during the summer when lighting is cheap :D

Mr T 31-03-2014 20:54

At around £200 per bulb and £750 per new fitting doubt they'll have "ownbrand/smart price ones"!!

Will get Guilly to ask!! She can sort things;)

lancsdave 31-03-2014 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1100667)
At around £200 per bulb and £750 per new fitting doubt they'll have "ownbrand/smart price ones"!!

Will get Guilly to ask!! She can sort things;)

See things have got better already, that's 7.5 bulbs, just leave them dangling on a bit of wire instead of buying the fittings :)

By the way, don't let the electricians see you calling them bulbs, they are lamps :D

Pendle Red 01-04-2014 05:22

Sarah Well Done that's a great achievement by all that participated and donated.

Mark what is the Total Sum for All the Work on the Lighting?

Mr T 01-04-2014 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 1100692)
Sarah Well Done that's a great achievement by all that participated and donated.

Mark what is the Total Sum for All the Work on the Lighting?

Neil, we are expecting around £15k; however it's going to be a bit "suck and see" as until we actually get the new lamps in the existing housings then add additional fittings we won't be 100% of the atcual lux level until the work is done and new readings taken. At that stage we will be "happy" or need to add even more fittings in the areas that don't meet the required levels.
It will be a fluid plan hence the need to start as soon as the season finishes but prior to the pitch renovation works.
The big positive we have is we do have 6 pylons so we don't need to project the light as far.

Pendle Red 01-04-2014 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1100701)
Neil, we are expecting around £15k; however it's going to be a bit "suck and see" as until we actually get the new lamps in the existing housings then add additional fittings we won't be 100% of the atcual lux level until the work is done and new readings taken. At that stage we will be "happy" or need to add even more fittings in the areas that don't meet the required levels.
It will be a fluid plan hence the need to start as soon as the season finishes but prior to the pitch renovation works.
The big positive we have is we do have 6 pylons so we don't need to project the light as far.

Thank You for the update much appreciated