Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Coleman's Criticism of the Accrington Public (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/colemans-criticism-of-the-accrington-public-68463.html)

pyjamarama 25-08-2016 14:25

Coleman's Criticism of the Accrington Public

I get a bit cheesed off with Coleman’s regular tv jibes at the Accrington public for not supporting the side. There are many reasons, some economic, some social, some historic and possibly the fact that the EFL cup isn’t a big attraction. The town isn’t a big city with only two clubs, it’s a small economically deprived town sandwiched between a premier league and a former premier league club. The latter pitched its pricing at £12 and still couldn’t drag in its core support (ignoring the obvious special circumstances). As a Burnley fan living 5 minutes away from the Wham, Accrington born and bred, I’ve lived through the astonishing rebuilding of Stanley with the greatest of admiration for the unsung heroes that dragged the club out of the disgrace that was 1962. However as a child growing up in the sixties, it was either Burnley or Rovers. Three brothers went to the dark side but I saw the light and supported the Clarets, home and away during the 70’s, but my own family arrived and it became difficult to justify the expense. My football fix changed to regular visits to the Crown, and I became one of those rare beasts that have an attachment to two clubs.

But getting back to Sir John’s habitual pops at the Accy public, I took my youngest son (a Rovers fan!) along to the game and spent over £50 in admission and add-ons, as we made use the excellent fanzone. I have to admit I thought twice about the expense, especially as the game was on Sky. But I wanted the live experience, and the chance to do some father/son bonding. Despite the game not being one for the purist, I enjoyed every second on the Clayton end, which took me back in a small way to my experiences on the Longside in the seventies. It was probably during those days that the Accy Clarets fan group, possibly one of the larger Burnley supporters groups, first came into being. So we have to be realistic. Support for Stanley won’t be easily won, but the best way to antagonise possible customers of the future, John, is to consistently berate them on national tv.

cashman 25-08-2016 14:36

Re: Coleman's Criticism of the Accrington Public

Agree completely.

Inspector Morse 25-08-2016 15:17

Coley has a point and he wouldn't be the man he is if he did not vent it in a cumbersome self-defeating way.

Gates were pitiful given the quality of football played last season bar the last few home games.

It seems a shame but peak Acccrington Stanley appears to be around the 1300 mark. He must be pulling whats left of his hair out with frustration at the apathy shown by the Accy public (less 1300).

It does beg the question of who is going to sit in the new stand we are supposed to building.Maybe the people in the Jam Butty houses once their free view is blocked.

Inspector Morse 25-08-2016 15:22

As a Burnley fan living 5 minutes away from the Wham, Accrington born and bred, I’ve lived through the astonishing rebuilding of Stanley with the greatest of admiration for the unsung heroes that dragged the club out of the disgrace that was 1962. However as a child growing up in the sixties, it was either Burnley or Rovers.

Its not too late to repent and see the light.

cashman 25-08-2016 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1175457)
Coley has a point and he wouldn't be the man he is if he did not vent it in a cumbersome self-defeating way.

Gates were pitiful given the quality of football played last season bar the last few home games.

It seems a shame but peak Acccrington Stanley appears to be around the 1300 mark. He must be pulling whats left of his hair out with frustration at the apathy shown by the Accy public (less 1300).

It does beg the question of who is going to sit in the new stand we are supposed to building.Maybe the people in the Jam Butty houses once their free view is blocked.

Most people probably agree with what he said, i do, but gobbing off on National TV is not the way to attract more in my view.

maccawozzagod 25-08-2016 15:45

Coley lives and breathes the club as the various youtube videos of his Crown celebrations will testify. I bet the comments he makes are a watered down version of what he is thinking.

cashman 25-08-2016 15:58

Probably the case Rob, but not the wisest move he ever made imho.

Rowlf 25-08-2016 20:22

Perhaps more folk would go on the home games if someone would get rid of that flaming drum.

cashman 25-08-2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1175475)
Perhaps more folk would go on the home games if someone would get rid of that flaming drum.

Thats complete rubbish in my view, we stand on the Clayton End away from the drum granted, we are all pensioners and it dont annoy us, if we stood dead near it, then it would do probably, thats an old chestnut and carries little weight with most reasonable folk i reckon.:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 25-08-2016 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1175459)
Most people probably agree with what he said, i do, but gobbing off on National TV is not the way to attract more in my view.

All well and good, mate, but not everybody has your sense of tact and diplomacy! ;)

DAV007 25-08-2016 21:09

Coleman made a fair point

Rowlf 25-08-2016 21:13

Fair enough Cashy, maybe it does not sound as loud from where you are as it did on tv.The commentators must have been close to it as you d a job to hear them sometimes.

cashman 25-08-2016 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1175480)
Coleman made a fair point

Dav no-ones disputing that, its the wisdom of doing it on Sky TV i'm questioning.

winstanley asfc 25-08-2016 21:37

Maybe Coley could've mentioned the lower than expected gate was partly due to it being on the telly. We all know it was but if he'd reinforced that fact he might've made himself a little clearer.

Willie Miller 25-08-2016 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1175481)
Fair enough Cashy, maybe it does not sound as loud from where you are as it did on tv.The commentators must have been close to it as you d a job to hear them sometimes.

Football for fans not TV