Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Cheltenham town match thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/cheltenham-town-match-thread-68813.html)

st06nc2 13-01-2017 18:59

Cheltenham town match thread

Any chance of the game been called off? I know they've tweeted that thier grounds man had put covers on half of the pitch

Exile on Spencer St 13-01-2017 19:46

Re: Cheltenham town match thread

If it's anything like down here in Hampshire, most the very light snow disappeared today and there should not to be any more precipitation on Saturday.
As long as they keep the covers on overnight to protect from frost, there ought to be a game on, although on their fan's forum there are comments about a poor surface, so don't count on it being a game of passing football.

monkey hanger 14-01-2017 08:10

ground share with gloucester city so gets more than average amount of football on it.

Exile on Spencer St 14-01-2017 08:15

Could have been worse if it was Gloucester RFC.

Mr T 14-01-2017 08:42

I haven't ventured out yet from team HQ; but the sun is shining and no sign of any over night frost.

More importantly nothing from Cheltenham so anticipating no issues:)

monkey hanger 14-01-2017 08:56

More importantly nothing from Cheltenham so anticipating no issues:)[/QUOTE]

is that what burton fans were told a couple of years ago.

VALAIRIAN 14-01-2017 09:36

With players returning to their Clubs, we will be seeing some changes in the team today :)

I feel that if Edwards gets enough time on the field today, he will have an influential part to play :)

:) :) :)

AccyMad 14-01-2017 09:43

I predict GTF definitely won't be in the team :)

yonmon 14-01-2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1185291)
I predict GTF definitely won't be in the team :)

And I predict that John o' Sullivan won't be missed ! .

Tom D 14-01-2017 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonmon (Post 1185292)
And I predict that John o' Sullivan won't be missed ! .

Clarke or Boco to take his place?

VALAIRIAN 14-01-2017 11:33

Rommy for me :)

cashman 14-01-2017 12:19

Either for me rate both lads,:)

Dav1d 14-01-2017 13:17

ASFC: Rodak, Pearson, Hughes, Beckles, Donacien, McConville, Brown, Conneely, Clark, Edwards, Kee

ASFC subs: Davies, Gornell, McCartan, Boco, Chapman, Sykes, Rodgers

cashman 14-01-2017 13:20

That looks a promising line up to me.:)were yeh get the info? are yeh down yon?

AccyMad 14-01-2017 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1185312)
That looks a promising line up to me.:)were yeh get the info? are yeh down yon?

It's on twitter Cashy - not sure if live text is on today, just showing Luton game as far as i can find

yonmon 14-01-2017 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1185316)
It's on twitter Cashy - not sure if live text is on today, just showing Luton game as far as i can find

No live text apparent !. BBC, or Twitter ?..not much to cheer about there !.

cashman 14-01-2017 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1185316)

Thats a poor do,if thats the case. no info telling people. ta fer that Di, i'll give it a miss today sod em.

AccyMad 14-01-2017 14:01

I've just made a brew & settled down with SSN, relying on Jeff Stelling to keep me informed :)

accybeme 14-01-2017 14:04

Feel sorry for him when the monkey hangars conseed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AccyMad 14-01-2017 14:07

Notts County v Mansfield finished nil apiece so keeps County below us

cashman 14-01-2017 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonmon (Post 1185318)
No live text apparent !. BBC, or Twitter ?..not much to cheer about there !.

Utter crap nowt much changes!!

MikeA 14-01-2017 14:09

Try this:
Robins Wall

cashman 14-01-2017 14:21

Its on fishy now.:)

AccyMad 14-01-2017 14:27

Better late than never :). To be fair they are out in the sticks a bit, WiFi"s probably a bit dodgy - they've only just got electrickity down there

smudgie 14-01-2017 14:59

O Sullivan back at rovers then?

cashman 14-01-2017 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 1185332)

yeh think his contract runs out end of season, so reckon rovers will probably want a few quid fer him?

andyd 14-01-2017 15:19

1-0 down

andyd 14-01-2017 15:23

Down to 10 men.

cashman 14-01-2017 15:24

Down to 10 men as well now.:eek: Brown off

AccyMad 14-01-2017 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 1185332)

According to Coley we have an agreement in place to bring John back till the end of the.season but it's dependent on whether Rovers decide to release him early in the January window

andyd 14-01-2017 15:34

2-0 down now.

cashman 14-01-2017 15:36

2-0 thats us knackered:eek:

Kiwi John 14-01-2017 15:37

My god this is hard yaka following the Stanley this season...Still,I guess we were spoilt last one...

andyd 14-01-2017 15:38

3-0 now

AccyMad 14-01-2017 15:38

Sounds like another dodgy ref, Lee Swabey? Doesn't ring a bell but he's now on.my s**t ref's database

cashman 14-01-2017 15:38

3-0

yonmon 14-01-2017 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1185341)
2-0 thats us knackered:eek:

A day for death-wishes, or so the rest would suggest ?.

yonmon 14-01-2017 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1185342)
My god this is hard yaka following the Stanley this season...Still,I guess we were spoilt last one...

Hi John,

Last season we were a team with quality in its ranks......this season the lack of quality means,
unfortunately, that, sad to say the REDS are just not good enough .!

smudgie 14-01-2017 15:56

I just feel sorry for those that I have travelled.

Totally and utterly pathetic according to reports from a friend.

When will people start asking questions of the management ?!?!?! Im a worried man, that's a cert.

andyd 14-01-2017 15:57

Another defeat but more worryingly a heavy one.

AccyMad 14-01-2017 15:57

So changing the keeper didn't work then? Feel sorry for the lad, what a baptism of fire.

According to Dan the red card shouldn't have been one & it entirely changed the game - wasn't there so can't comment but the ref did seem a little card happy, in particular towards our players.

cashman 14-01-2017 16:01

Seemed to change after the dismissal?:(

Lord Stiffupperlip 14-01-2017 16:05

Here we go again!
You can't blame the ref for being biased, he gave 14 fouls against Cheltenham & only 8 against Stanley.

VALAIRIAN 14-01-2017 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1185353)
So changing the keeper didn't work then? Feel sorry for the lad, what a baptism of fire.

According to Dan the red card shouldn't have been one & it entirely changed the game - wasn't there so can't comment but the ref did seem a little card happy, in particular towards our players.

Are we surprised??? (Red card I mean) :(

AccyMad 14-01-2017 16:10

Yes but how many of our lads did he book compared to theirs & who was it who had a man (wrongly) sent off? This happened at Hartlepool & we got the card rescinded but it's too late to do any good by then
I know you can never totally blame the ref but a lot of the one's we get landed with certainly don't help & when they get decisions so far wrong that they affect the outcome of a game they should be accountable for their actions

P.s. Sorry, this was in reply to Lord thingy's post Joe, not yours

cashman 14-01-2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1185357)
Here we go again!
You can't blame the ref for being biased, he gave 14 fouls against Cheltenham & only 8 against Stanley.

So how come we had 2 booked and 1 off with 8 fouls? yet they had 1 booked with 14.

Lord Stiffupperlip 14-01-2017 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1185360)
So how come we had 2 booked and 1 off with 8 fouls? yet they had 1 booked with 14.

Don't know Cashy, as I wasn't there.
But as soon as the whistle is blown there are some who (perhaps also not at the match) are already blaming the officials for our loss.
It's becoming the 'go to' response for every defeat.

VALAIRIAN 14-01-2017 16:18

Nothing less than expected today - let's face it, they had lost 6 in 7.....

Must be the 4th time at least this season that we have lost to a team out of form.... :(

Typical that Carlisle - unbeaten forever at the start of the season - are stuttering, not won in 3....

Coley will get it right, of that I am more than sure :)

yonmon 14-01-2017 16:34

And, lest we forget, Cheltenham Town are not a Middlesbrough United !....and if the Reds persist in dishing out late Christmas presents my anxieties are really going to kick in !.
I think that the referees decision whether right or wrong is not the only factor in today's defeat, my feelings are that once again the Reds have failed to score and to keep a clean sheet. A compound if repeated regularly is almost guaranteed to bring failure in its wake !

Quo Vadis Stanley ?.

yonmon 14-01-2017 16:35

:mad::confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1185362)
Nothing less than expected today - let's face it, they had lost 6 in 7.....

Must be the 4th time at least this season that we have lost to a team out of form.... :(

Typical that Carlisle - unbeaten forever at the start of the season - are stuttering, not won in 3....

Coley will get it right, of that I am more than sure :)

Kiwi John 14-01-2017 16:37

Thats it-I'm going to wear different undies.

yonmon 14-01-2017 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1185365)
Thats it-I'm going to wear different undies.

OH NO JOHN,NO JOHN NO JOHN, NO !!!

How long have you been wearing your current knickers then ?.

But thanks for that little insight into antipodean pants anyway !...

Dav1d 14-01-2017 17:07

How long are people going to blame the ref every time we don't win. Simple factor we don't score goals, we let goals in, 11 men, 10 men, 5 yellow cards, whatever. Simple not good enough this year. We release players that than sign for a higher league club and start playing well. Yet we play same side week in week out and get the same results. No fight,
No passion, no goals.

Chrisr 14-01-2017 17:10

We can only use the ref as an excuse so many times. We have to look at our playing techniques. We seem to fall apart too easily. We should by all acounts been able to recover from this. Dan said it was a very poor game. It then got a lot worse for us. Coley has to turn this around very quickly. The clock is ticking.

AccyMad 14-01-2017 17:17

Just listened to Coley's post match interview, according to him as they were coming off the pitch one of the Cheltenham players said to Coley 'the ref was the best player for us' - anyone still think the ref wasn't at fault today.- not for everything of course but his contribution to the debacle can't be ignored

Twenty Eight 14-01-2017 17:36

We were one down with 11 against 11. Talk about desperation blaming officials

st06nc2 14-01-2017 17:56

It's time we stopped blaming officials and saying we have bad luck, you make your own luck, things need to change and soon time to take the rose tinted specs off and see some players for what they are, Scott brown yes it wasn't a red card but tbh I have never rated him, keepers send the ball down the middle 90% of time a short player like Brown can't get to them, if you compare the height and strength of some of our players it's nothing compared to the rest of the league, there's players who constantly make mistakes and have bad games while we have players just sat warming the bench every week because coley won't make changes, this team isn't working somewhere he's been trying it for long enough it's time some of the reserve players got given a chance

AccyStan1962 14-01-2017 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav1d (Post 1185367)
How long are people going to blame the ref every time we don't win. Simple factor we don't score goals, we let goals in, 11 men, 10 men, 5 yellow cards, whatever. Simple not good enough this year. We release players that than sign for a higher league club and start playing well. Yet we play same side week in week out and get the same results. No fight,
No passion, no goals.

Which player have we released thats gone on to play well in a higher league?

st06nc2 14-01-2017 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyStan1962 (Post 1185375)
Which player have we released thats gone on to play well in a higher league?

Think he means ones that left on free such as Bobby grant

Revived Red 14-01-2017 18:38

Yes, the referee was poor. But we were abysmal. In actual fact, our standard of play seemed to improve after the sending-off.

There are some serious questions to be asked now. Let's start with the new keeper. Why was he used today? Clearly he had never trained with the team. It was very odd indeed to see him being introduced to the rest of the team during the warm-up. Aaron Chapman looked totally p***ed off.

The next question to ask is about training. Are the players not told to find a space or to make a run to receive the ball? Our players were static, no movement whatsoever. Our passing was predictable - so the Cheltenham players could intercept very easily. In fact, far too often, we saved them the trouble of intercepting by passing directly to them. In fact it looked as though most of the Stanley players were strangers to each other, not only the new keeper.

Coley often talks of shaking things up. It's all talk - it never happens.

On today's form, it is going to be a long fight against relegation.

Of course we may have played abysmally today in order to confuse any Middlesbrough spies who happened to be there. :rolleyes:

Exile on Spencer St 14-01-2017 19:36

Can only endorse Revived Red's summary. That was the worst Stanley performance I've seen for quite some time.
I was embarrassed for a fellow southern exile who persuaded a crowd of his mates to forego the Bristol City v Cardiff game to watch an appallingly inept performance.
Cheltenham totally out-played, out-thought, and, with the exception of our back four (and especially Pearson), out-fought Stanley.
The ref was poor, but no worse than we've come to expect in League 2 and I for one immediately said "that's a red" when Brown when flying in, missed the ball, and took their player off at the knees. As for the 'unfairness' of the yellow cards, Stanley's second was because Gornell, having failed to persuade the lineswoman that he'd won a corner (which he hadn't), he then said something to her that she reported to the ref. Unprofessional is probably the kindest explanation for Gornell's stupidity.
It was as if Stanley were show-casing all their frustrating short-comings in the one match. Predictable, slow, over-intricate passing in over-crowded areas, poor control, blasting over the bar from 8 yards (does McCarten practice in front of a barn door?), rarely running onto balls put through into space, not even using the width of the pitch to find space, standing still waiting for the ball to come to them, half-hearted tackling especially from midfielders, confusion over who's ball it was (can't blame the keeper who, as RR said, was actually being introduced to the rest of the team in the warm-up).
It wasn't a bad day at the office, it was a bad month and a half.

Lord Stiffupperlip 14-01-2017 22:16

Two excellent & concurring reports from Exile & Revived Red, who actually went to the game.
I think those whose knee-jerk reaction was to rush to blame the ref as soon as the whistle went now have egg on their face.
Perhaps they were influenced by the new Hollywood blockbuster just out - 'La La Land'

Lord Didsbury 14-01-2017 22:28

From the telly it's pretty obvious Brown got a deserved red card.

The back pass was also an obvious back pass.

On to the next match....

deeayess 14-01-2017 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1185398)
From the telly it's pretty obvious Brown got a deserved red card.

The back pass was also an obvious back pass.

On to the next match....

That just about sums it up based on what the highlights show

AccyMad 15-01-2017 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1185397)
Two excellent & concurring reports from Exile & Revived Red, who actually went to the game.
I think those whose knee-jerk reaction was to rush to blame the ref as soon as the whistle went now have egg on their face.
Perhaps they were influenced by the new Hollywood blockbuster just out - 'La La Land'

No dippy egg running down my chin this morning - I don't think anyone was wholly blaming the ref, just bemoaning yet another inept performance from the man in the middle backed up by the report in another thread from a neutral observer.
We're obviously struggling & yesterday's game was never going to be easy, imo throwing the new keeper in straight away was a mistake - just hope shipping three on his debut doesn't sent his confidence too much as his loan conditions will probably mean he's first choice for most games.
I'm not blaming the lad either, Billy's not getting the service he needs as he did last season & it's not the fault of those who are filling Josh & Piero's boots, they're doing their best as far as I can see.
But we're a fickle lot, as are most football fans - last week we were wonderful & awaiting the draw for the 4th round with bated breath, this week we're awful & deserved all we got - the truth is probably somewhere in the middle & we go again, Carlisle next week before the big one at the Riverside - maybe our lads had one eye on that game yesterday, who knows but whatever happens we need to be 110% behind the team & just be grateful that we're not in Morecambe's shoes

monkey hanger 15-01-2017 10:07

[QUOTE=AccyMad; Carlisle next week before the big one at the Riverside

no next week is the big one the boro game is just a side show. we can,t just rely on notts county and newport being poor. we need points on the board quickly. its time some start to smell the coffee as its going to be a long 3 months infront of us to keep our football league place. need to put all our differences behind us over the next few months and try to sing out of the same songsheet.

Revived Red 15-01-2017 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1185417)
try to sing out of the same songsheet.

We may have the same song sheet. The problem is that it has too many wrong notes and missing notes.

Chrisr 15-01-2017 10:25

The sad thing is nothing will change in tactics, communication, substitution timings. and playing one up front. Every club in the league knows how we play and can neutralise us very easily. We can be good in short bursts and we have got by on that so far this season. Last season we had ample opportunities to win promotion and we were not good enough then and we are worse now. Something has to give. There is something sadly amiss with training and development of the team. The players just released were never given a proper chance to help the club as we expected them to. Chris Eagles left to go to Portvale and played in his normal position and played his own game and was credited with 3 assists in their 4-0 win. Is this a pointer to a problem with the training at our club, I then ask why so many left last season to go to other clubs like Portsmouth, Morecambe. Blackpool. We know why Piero left but how many decent players have left Stanley and either improved or even were happy just to be away. something is wrong and needs sorting out.

Exile on Spencer St 15-01-2017 11:00

Good points well made, Chrisr, but, on the issue of the one-up front, the new lad Edwards played yesterday just behind Mr. Kee, and looked lively in brief moments. It was hard to judge from behind the goal how well Kee and Edwards combined in the first half, but someone who watched that half from midway then joined us for the second half did suggest they hadn't yet got their radars on sync.
Unfortunately, despite Edwards physical strength, the Cheltenham back four out-muscled both Stanley's forward players most of the time. Billy also got no protection from the ref who obviously didn't think being pushed, shoved or held from behind is foul. But then that is always going to be the case for a man who always has to receive the ball with his back to goal.
What frustrates me most about Stanley, when they are as off as they were yesterday, is the fact they never seem to use the space behind defences to run into, but always try to ticky-tacky their way through a massed defence as if they are still doing that pre-match training routine. If you notice, that routine simply practices goes round and round in circles, never driving forward.

ferret man 15-01-2017 11:27

Last season we had ample opportunities to win promotion.(un quote) I personally think that was our undoing, too many games to get required result, so when you lose the first game, think's never mind we will do it next game, till we ran out of next games.

AccyStan1962 15-01-2017 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisr (Post 1185420)
The sad thing is nothing will change in tactics, communication, substitution timings. and playing one up front. Every club in the league knows how we play and can neutralise us very easily. We can be good in short bursts and we have got by on that so far this season. Last season we had ample opportunities to win promotion and we were not good enough then and we are worse now. Something has to give. There is something sadly amiss with training and development of the team. The players just released were never given a proper chance to help the club as we expected them to. Chris Eagles left to go to Portvale and played in his normal position and played his own game and was credited with 3 assists in their 4-0 win. Is this a pointer to a problem with the training at our club, I then ask why so many left last season to go to other clubs like Portsmouth, Morecambe. Blackpool. We know why Piero left but how many decent players have left Stanley and either improved or even were happy just to be away. something is wrong and needs sorting out.

Did you go the game yesterday or last week? As last week we played 2 up top for most of the game, with Edwards dropping back in when we were out of possession. Also by Chris Eagles creating 3, I think you're referring to a reserves match which is hardly a great barometer for League football. Got to be that game as Port Vale got postponed yesterday so he's yet to play in the league

AccyStan1962 15-01-2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1185429)
Last season we had ample opportunities to win promotion.(un quote) I personally think that was our undoing, too many games to get required result, so when you lose the first game, think's never mind we will do it next game, till we ran out of next games.

We actually only had 2 league games last season where it was mathematically possible to gain promotion. First one we won at Wycombe, second one we drew with stevenage. So I fail to see your point?? I also fail to see the relevance in that to this season

shakermaker 15-01-2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by st06nc2 (Post 1185376)
Think he means ones that left on free such as Bobby grant

I know this forum has been practising post-truth since before it was a thing, but Grant left Stanley for a fee of around £250k.

yonmon 15-01-2017 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1185429)

Irrelevant ?.

st06nc2 16-01-2017 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 1185444)
I know this forum has been practising post-truth since before it was a thing, but Grant left Stanley for a fee of around £250k.

Compensation yes but it's still classed as a free transfer due to him been out of contract

Mr T 16-01-2017 07:52

Any player under 24 is transferred to another club for a fee.

We've received fees for Grant, Craney( twice) and Roberts.

We also received fees for Naismith, Aldred and Mahoney.

We are also due a fee for Etheridge.

choirboy 16-01-2017 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1185507)

Well Mr T....
How much were the fees that we received please?:rolleyes:
Why the secrecy?

Exile on Spencer St 16-01-2017 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1185536)
Why the secrecy?

Business!
Anyway, what difference does knowing a figure make, other than it would allow some folk on here to moan it was not enough and some others think it was too much.

Mr T 16-01-2017 12:59

ASFC currently (to my knowledge) and certainly in the past don't release transfer fees.

IF we did all those people who we get favours from in the world of business and football would be saying you've just sold Joe for £80k; you can't be skint!!

Likewise we sell Joe for £50k and say we've no more to buy a replacement; it's obvious we have as they know the fee received.

The best example is the fee received by Exeter for Matt Grimms of £1.75m was leaked to the press by the agent. This amount was paid in installments and this amount was appearance based. Exeter have only received a small amount of these monies upfront.

Consequently any player wanting a move to Exeter is demanding big money and their agents are also wanting big monies; as they think Exeter are "loaded".
Exeter are trust owed can't borrow money and have an aging ground.

st06nc2 16-01-2017 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1185507)

Still not recieved anything for etheridge? Had long enough to pay or is it appearance based

cashman 16-01-2017 14:42

Well though i wasn't there, i saw the sending off on telly a few times, and fail to see what all the fuss oer it was?? to me many Refs would have issued a red,so why we are appealing it,is totally baffling to me.:confused::confused:

Mr T 16-01-2017 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by st06nc2 (Post 1185541)
Still not recieved anything for etheridge? Had long enough to pay or is it appearance based

We were miles apart on valuations and were going to let a tribunal decide the fee.

As a Club now we can afford to be patient and accept the first over.

I believe an agreement was reached over the weekend.

choirboy 16-01-2017 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1185538)
Business!
Anyway, what difference does knowing a figure make, other than it would allow some folk on here to moan it was not enough and some others think it was too much.

I accept the 'Business' explanation.........
Just trying to 'weedle' a bit of info :smoky: