Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Review on our pies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/review-on-our-pies-68952.html)

st06nc2 01-03-2017 20:43

Review on our pies

Pierate - Pie Reviews: Football Pie: Accrington Stanley

Not bad still can't believe we only had 1 kiosk selling pies

Exile on Spencer St 01-03-2017 20:51

Re: Review on our pies

Blimey, it's not just Somerset whose 'interest' in football verges on OCD.

Lord Didsbury 01-03-2017 21:23

Yeah, there's no hope for the kid that wrote that review.
Also, if that is a picture of a holland's peppered steak pie then i'm not a member of the aristocracy. Peppered steak pies are flaccid, gooey affairs. His looks more like it's filled with dried out pedigree chum.
Plus, they are inedible - but maybe some uncouth southern loony would not notice that.

Wynonie Harris 01-03-2017 21:48

The strange, stilted writing style...the obsessive attention to detail...the way he goes on and on...and on. It must be his cousin!

Lord Stiffupperlip 01-03-2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by st06nc2 (Post 1188829)
Pierate - Pie Reviews: Football Pie: Accrington Stanley

Not bad still can't believe we only had 1 kiosk selling pies

What a hoot! Where do you find this stuff st06nc2?
After the home game with Carlisle, I paid a visit to their fans forum to get a view of their response to the game.
Apparently, one CUFC fan had promised his mates they were in for a treat as you could get a pie & pint for a fiver at the Wham.
You can imagine their anger to find that this bargain 'meal deal' was only available to home fans.
Their description of the catering facilities for away fans cannot be repeated on here. Save to say that there were no pies on offer, just an overpriced burger & a can of beer that cost £3.
Surely it's time for the club to give priority to providing better facilities for away fans, as articles like this just reinforces the view of visiting fans that our ground is a right s***hole.

Outback Ozzy 01-03-2017 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1188837)
What a hoot! Where do you find this stuff st06nc2?
After the home game with Carlisle, I paid a visit to their fans forum to get a view of their response to the game.
Apparently, one CUFC fan had promised his mates they were in for a treat as you could get a pie & pint for a fiver at the Wham.
You can imagine their anger to find that this bargain 'meal deal' was only available to home fans.
Their description of the catering facilities for away fans cannot be repeated on here. Save to say that there were no pies on offer, just an overpriced burger & a can of beer that cost £3.
Surely it's time for the club to give priority to providing better facilities for away fans, as articles like this just reinforces the view of visiting fans that our ground is a right s***hole.

After reading the article, what is with the catering van on the away end charging higher prices than that on the home end. I also remember the previous catering vans had pies for sale and there were also the pies in the clubhouse, so how come only 1 now? One for the club I think

st06nc2 02-03-2017 14:34

Was the one kiosk selling pies because it was a Tuesday night? Or was it a certain someone's visit to the wham enough to scare them into only selling in the home end

Alvin the chipmunk 02-03-2017 17:25

Maybe my offal devouring Northern palate isn't as refined as some...but the peppered steak need to stay. �� Unless of course Clayton Park or the Mecca of pies that is Cissy Green's stepped into the breach.

Lord Stiffupperlip 02-03-2017 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 1188880)
Maybe my offal devouring Northern palate isn't as refined as some...but the peppered steak need to stay. �� Unless of course Clayton Park or the Mecca of pies that is Cissy Green's stepped into the breach.

Chipmunk old boy!
Without doubt the vendors you mention produce a toothsome product.
The Cissy Green's meat pie is famous locally, although a little overpriced considering it's gone after one bite.
Having savoured many a pie on my travels, I have confidence in stating that the best steak pie available within the county is produced by D T Laws in Haslingden (also the home of Cissy Greens). No offal or gristle here, just quality braised steak wrapped up in a crisp shortcrust shell.
For meat & potato, Alpes the butchers in Clitheroe is unsurpassed, as it contains actual meat as well as potato. Totally delicious!
I can assure pie aficionados they will not be disappointed if they sample said pies when next in the area.

cashman 02-03-2017 20:21

Laws Pies are sold at our chippy along with Hollands a bit dearer but well worth it in my view.

Wynonie Harris 02-03-2017 21:51

Never heard of D. T. Laws pies. Are there any purveyors of these comestibles in the town centre?

mab 02-03-2017 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1188895)
Chipmunk old boy!
Without doubt the vendors you mention produce a toothsome product.
The Cissy Green's meat pie is famous locally, although a little overpriced considering it's gone after one bite.
Having savoured many a pie on my travels, I have confidence in stating that the best steak pie available within the county is produced by D T Laws in Haslingden (also the home of Cissy Greens). No offal or gristle here, just quality braised steak wrapped up in a crisp shortcrust shell.
For meat & potato, Alpes the butchers in Clitheroe is unsurpassed, as it contains actual meat as well as potato. Totally delicious!
I can assure pie aficionados they will not be disappointed if they sample said pies when next in the area.

You need to try the home made giant sausage roll's as well :) I live a couple a hundred yards from the shop:D

Lord Stiffupperlip 03-03-2017 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1188902)
You need to try the home made giant sausage roll's as well :) I live a couple a hundred yards from the shop:D

Best sausage rolls ever!
They're so big that last time I tried one, I never ate for 2 days!
:D

Lord Stiffupperlip 03-03-2017 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1188899)
Never heard of D. T. Laws pies. Are there any purveyors of these comestibles in the town centre?

Not that I'm aware of Wyn.
But they are on the right, just before the town centre traffic lights, as you enter from Accrington.
Well worth a visit if you're ever passing - or if you're really hungry!

Chrisr 03-03-2017 09:52

I used to like Cissey greens pies, However they have shot up in orice and down in size. Hollands are good. I do think £2.50 for a pie is a bit OTT for this area. I am aware they offer a meal deal for a Fiver. I was unaware that away fans were not allowed to buy this deal. If this is true then it is a disgrace.