Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Oldham (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/oldham-69268.html)

Twenty Eight 22-07-2017 20:17

Re: Oldham

Chapman (unless keeper signed)
Pearson Richards Beckles Donacien
Clark Conneely Nolan McConville
Jackson
Kee

Exile on Spencer St 22-07-2017 20:25

Good guessing, 28. Will be surprised if it's not that starting XI.

Lord Stiffupperlip 22-07-2017 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1197920)
Chapman (unless keeper signed)
Pearson Richards Beckles Donacien
Clark Conneely Nolan McConville
Jackson
Kee

Excepting Chapman, that was our starting XI today & after watching various combinations over the four friendlies, think it's our best by far.
On todays performance, I'd be surprised if the new young goalkeeper isn't offered terms.
We've also got good sub cover in Mcleod (great goal today) & Sousa for Clark/McConville.
At the back, Sykes & Ogle have proved very capable & Hughes will always be in contention for a starting place.
After today, I'm optimistic that this squad will prove to be real contenders for promotion.

Twenty Eight 22-07-2017 21:37

Not sure of his situation.
I think he's still contracted to Manchester City so probably on loan.
Think he should have saved the second goal.

andyd 23-07-2017 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1197924)
Not sure of his situation.
I think he's still contracted to Manchester City so probably on loan.
Think he should have saved the second goal.

Any name besides A.Trialist.

TJackson 23-07-2017 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1197934)
Any name besides A.Trialist.

Aslong as its not Joe hart I'll be happy

AccyMad 23-07-2017 13:46

I'd be more than happy with Joe Hart!! Well.- I can dream :)

Chrisr 23-07-2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1197919)
So after the four home friendlies, anyone care to guess the starting XI for the first league match?

The Don. I still think he is more effective up front on the wing rather than defence, although he is good in both positions. putting balls in at pace accross the front of goal he is ace. I hope Coley notices and uses this additional strength as needed.

Exile on Spencer St 23-07-2017 20:41

If they can develop an understanding with whichever combination of 'wingers' (Clarke/McConville/McCleod/Sousa) is used, both The Don and Matty Pearson have the attitude and ability to be an effective attacking force, getting crosses/shots in from the wide positions.
But when Stanley are in possession in their half down one wing, I would like to see the player on the opposite wing make use of the full width of the pitch more often. Most times they seem to drift in, as though they are 'marking' the opposing full back, rather than it being the other way round.
Preston made great use of always having an unmarked player on one or t'other touch line.

Lord Stiffupperlip 24-07-2017 18:24

Watching the recent friendlies, the BIG difference that marked the superiority of higher league teams was not necessarily individual skill but how,
when in possession, their players immediately looked for space to receive the ball.
PNE in particular could win the ball back in their own box and with 2 or 3 lightning passes, be inside ours.
I was amazed how often the blighters always seemed to have unmarked men available & always found them with pinpoint accuracy, all at double-quick time.
I think most of our opponents would agree that we are a team who try to follow the philosophy of the 'beautiful game'
I truly believe our current squad have shown the ability to achieve great things this season.

MikeA 24-07-2017 19:41

The goals:
https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/new...4072017-goals/

Twenty Eight 24-07-2017 22:00

That reinforces what I thought in that the keeper could have done better with the second goal.
Also he should have collected the cross that led to the pen.