Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/wigan-athletic-checkatrade-trophy-game-69616.html)

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 19:26

Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game

If anyone's interested????
we're 2-0 up!
:alright:

cashman 07-11-2017 19:30

Re: Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game

Billy Kees gone off injured more importantly in my view.:eek:

dabeast 07-11-2017 19:33

Was he injured or was it a token start cashy? Given we started 3 strikers and Billy was subbed for Reagan Ogle?

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 19:36

Half time!
Wigan 0 - Stanley 2
Edwards (12') + Sousa (30')
Knew we should have played our 'reserves' against Guiseley!

cashman 07-11-2017 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabeast (Post 1204134)
Was he injured or was it a token start cashy? Given we started 3 strikers and Billy was subbed for Reagan Ogle?

Dan Jewell said injured:eek:

chevyfire 07-11-2017 19:45

Sousa has had a Stormer first half. Definitely another option for first team on his checkatrade showings.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

dabeast 07-11-2017 19:45

Cheers cashy hopefully not too serious..... Only got twitter here and didn't say on there.

cashman 07-11-2017 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabeast (Post 1204139)
Cheers cashy hopefully not too serious..... Only got twitter here and didn't say on there.

It does mate, i only got twitter also. but it dont say good or bad, i asked but no answer,

dabeast 07-11-2017 19:55

Just found on dan's twitter:

Billy Kee is currently playing left back for Accrington Stanley. This is not a drill... #asfc

followed by:

And Billy Kee goes down injured and would you believe he can't continue... Reagan Ogle on... #asfc

and:

If I was still doing the @ASFCofficial twitter account it would be sarcasm central right now...

Maybe not an injury?

cashman 07-11-2017 19:59

Hope yer right.;)

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 20:03

3-0 UP!
Sousa again!

MikeA 07-11-2017 20:05

Has anyone tried this?
https://www.wiganathletic.com/matche...-on-07-nov-17/

AccyMad 07-11-2017 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1204135)
Half time!
Wigan 0 - Stanley 2
Edwards (12') + Sousa (30')
Knew we should have played our 'reserves' against Guiseley!

I presume that comment's tongue in cheek, I'm not taking anything away from the lads playing tonight - sounds like they're playing well but they are up against Wigan's youth team so I doubt it'll be anything like the physical battle that Guiseley treated us to - that said, you can only beat what's in front of you & a win for us would definitely be one in the eye for Mr. Cook:D Cart on lads!

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 20:36

AccyMad,
Not 'tongue-in-cheek' at all.
From Chevyfire tonight; - 'Sousa has had a stormer first half'
From my post after the Boro game;
'How McLeod & Sousa don't make the first eleven every week is a mystery based on tonight's performance.
McLeod in particular was so effective down the left wing, creating numerous goal scoring chances for both himself & the other forwards & Sousa's speed & pin-point crosses caused Boro real problems.
'
My original thoughts that Mcleod & Sousa would have been more effective against Guiseley still apply.
Sousa scores 2 tonight!
Edwards scores!
Mcleod scores!
I rest my case.

cashman 07-11-2017 20:38

4-0 stanley what a result.:)

AccyMad 07-11-2017 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1204148)
AccyMad,
Not 'tongue-in-cheek' at all.
From Chevyfire tonight; - 'Sousa has had a stormer first half'
From my post after the Boro game;
'How McLeod & Sousa don't make the first eleven every week is a mystery based on tonight's performance.
McLeod in particular was so effective down the left wing, creating numerous goal scoring chances for both himself & the other forwards & Sousa's speed & pin-point crosses caused Boro real problems.
'
My original thoughts that Mcleod & Sousa would have been more effective against Guiseley still apply.
Sousa scores 2 tonight!
Edwards scores!
Mcleod scores!
I rest my case.

It's all about opinions - that's the beauty of football :)

choirboy 07-11-2017 20:42

Full time 0 - 4.:alright:
Good run out for the 'Fringe' players.
:alright:

I bet Billy was awesome at left back!!!!
:rolleyes::130:

chevyfire 07-11-2017 20:56

Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

cashman 07-11-2017 21:00

Blackburn are OUT on Pens.

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfire (Post 1204152)
Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!

Great report Chevyfire!
Glad to see Nolan back, I for one think he makes a big difference to our midfield.
Wigan may have played their 'reserves' tonight, but they're still a much bigger club than Stanley.
In any case, according to some on here - SO DID WE!
A brilliant result!

dabeast 07-11-2017 21:16

Efl site says Blackburn through in second (teams get a point for losing on pens)

dabeast 07-11-2017 21:41

But.. Stoke and bury not playing til tomorrow

stanleyhouse 07-11-2017 22:01

As a group runner up, we will play a northern group winner away in the next round.

mab 07-11-2017 22:16

:) https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrI...G5BjAlOSMKrME- :) https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-compet...trophy/tables/ :)

Chimer 07-11-2017 22:23

Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....

Chewbacca 07-11-2017 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1204153)
Blackburn are OUT on Pens.

If either team win in 90 they are out, they need a draw and a pen win for stoke by the looks of it.

Tom D 07-11-2017 22:51

We played some excellent football at times tonight - very impressed with midfield, particularly sousa and nolan. MOM for me was Brown - at the heart of nearly everything, passing game was excellent and fitness seems to have dramatically improved. We kept playing a high tempo passing game even at 3-0 up. Coley should take a chance and play the same 11 (obviously swap kee for ogle from the off) in our cup replay next week.

Exile on Spencer St 08-11-2017 06:17

What a great performance, even the interview was audible. ;)
Well done to all involved.

AccyMad 08-11-2017 06:19

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1204161)
Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....

Maybe they're prepared for (& financially not bothered about) the fines they'll receive for playing what was, according to their own fans on twitter their under 18's team??
Maybe shows again just how cocky Paul Cook was about the game as they only needed a draw to progress - well, that backfired - what a shame :D:rolleyes:

cashman 08-11-2017 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1204166)
What a great performance, even the interview was audible. ;)
Well done to all involved.

Seemed to me J.C. cut interview short for a reason? was good to actually be able to hear it though.

StanLurker 08-11-2017 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1204167)
:)
according to their own fans on twitter their under 18's team??

Don't think there was any doubt it was their under 18's side. One of the subs was 15 !!

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2...ngton-stanley/

Inspector Morse 08-11-2017 09:05

'Seemed to me J.C. cut interview short for a reason?'
I thought he didn't want to be drawn into discussing potential changes to the first choice XI.

cashman 08-11-2017 09:25

Thats exactly what i thought.;)

football19 08-11-2017 10:04

How times have changed,Acci has got two decent teams now,few years ago couldn’t fill the bench !!!
Will test Coleys management skills as good players want to be playing!!!

Mr T 08-11-2017 11:36

It was Wigan's U18's last night plus one 1st team squad member (with zero appearances).

They cancelled a scheduled U18 game at short notice.

Bet their kit man was pleased at printing another dozen new shirts!!

The even gave a debut to a 15 year old they have high hopes for!!!

They will be fined, I believe the full amount under the rules for not even being close to playing a "full strength team"

MikeA 08-11-2017 14:06

If I've read it right, we'll be away at Scunthorpe United, Lincoln City, Bradford City or Walsall in the second round.

According to the Lancashire Telegraph, the draw is at Wembley at 6.30pm on Friday.

Mr T 08-11-2017 14:45

Mike;

You are the expert; but I think there's a possibility that it's Chesterfield or Bradford.

I think IF Chesterfield were to beat Man City U21's in a high scoring game they would top the group on goals scored ??

I'm waiting for the EFL to confirm; but this is my understanding as well.

Chimer 08-11-2017 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1204188)
It was Wigan's U18's last night plus one 1st team squad member (with zero appearances).

They cancelled a scheduled U18 game at short notice.

Bet their kit man was pleased at printing another dozen new shirts!!

The even gave a debut to a 15 year old they have high hopes for!!!

They will be fined, I believe the full amount under the rules for not even being close to playing a "full strength team"

Given that, for some reason, they haven't got a game until Saturday week, that's just ridiculous (not to mention arrogant if he really thought they would be good enough). Tit!

Tom D 08-11-2017 16:42

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NmJRps10pfs

last nights goals

maccawozzagod 08-11-2017 19:49

1 Attachment(s)
Mr T is correct

Runners up of groups A,B, C and D play winners of E, F, G and H. If I read it we'd be away as well

Walsall, Bradford or Chesterfield, Lincoln, Scunthorpe

Outback Ozzy 08-11-2017 20:05

I don't care if it was the U18's we were playing last night. What I do laugh about is how the supporters of WAFC are embarrassed by the team that was put out and the result. The excuses are brilliant, but at the end of the day, we hammered them on their own turf. To say the crowd was 1473, it was pleasing to see 100+ make the journey from Accy and they were the ones making the most noise throughout the 90 minutes. Fair play to the young Wigan lads, they have skills to go past our midfielders and defenders, but these were backed up throughout the game by another midfielder/defender to force the players away from our goals. I don't think Strycek had a save of any note to make throughout the match, but at least he came through 90 minutes unharmed. Regarding Billy, he appeared to be limping at first when he was subbed, but then the limp disappeared, gamesmanship by JC? I'm also with others, how Sousa and McLeod don't start is beyond me and yes Liam Nolan had a solid game as did Scotty Brown. Overall an enjoyable experience and I am aware what some may say of the competition. but we can only hope that we do get as far as possible in this as it is a real chance to go to Wembley

MikeA 08-11-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1204194)
Mike;

You are the expert; but I think there's a possibility that it's Chesterfield or Bradford.

I think IF Chesterfield were to beat Man City U21's in a high scoring game they would top the group on goals scored ??

I'm waiting for the EFL to confirm; but this is my understanding as well.

I'm no expert. Yes, of course it could be Chesterfield. It just shows that you can't believe everything in the Telegraph!

Lord Stiffupperlip 08-11-2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1204194)
I think there's a possibility that it's Chesterfield or Bradford.

Ye Gods!
I'm begging you!
Please, please, please, let it be Bradford.

monkey hanger 09-11-2017 08:02

[QUOTE=Outback Ozzy;1204204] I'm also with others, how Sousa and McLeod don't start is beyond me and yes Liam Nolan had a solid game as did Scotty Brown.

it shows how far we have come in the last few seasons when the lads you mentioned do not start a game. rightly or wrongly they don,t but a few years ago they would have been fixtures in the side with a bench having less than the possible number on it. gives me a good feeling so far this season.

Inspector Morse 09-11-2017 08:28

As well as Sousa and McLeod have played it would be difficult to not to start McConville and Clarke given their performance levels so far this season. Perhaps their consistency is helped by these guys ready to step in should the levels drop.

At the minute the only position up for grabs seems to be central midfield. We are still lacking a spark of creativity/forward thrust from this area and I guess this is not going to change for the rest of the season.

Saying that I think all our midfield combinations are solid and no-one has played particularly badly. If this set up gives the creative wide players sufficient scope to perform it may well be a non-issue.

andyd 09-11-2017 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1204227)
As well as Sousa and McLeod have played it would be difficult to not to start McConville and Clarke given their performance levels so far this season. Perhaps their consistency is helped by these guys ready to step in should the levels drop.

At the minute the only position up for grabs seems to be central midfield. We are still lacking a spark of creativity/forward thrust from this area and I guess this is not going to change for the rest of the season.

Saying that I think all our midfield combinations are solid and no-one has played particularly badly. If this set up gives the creative wide players sufficient scope to perform it may well be a non-issue.

Could be a target area come January.

ferret man 09-11-2017 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1204231)
could be a target area come january.

should

Twenty Eight 09-11-2017 15:42

[QUOTE=Inspector Morse;1204227]As well as Sousa and McLeod have played it would be difficult to not to start McConville and Clarke given their performance levels so far this season. Perhaps their consistency is helped by these guys ready to step in should the levels drop.

The reason why is a simple one. The two with the first team shirts know how to defend as well as attack. The other two less so.
Adios.

MikeA 09-11-2017 16:25

This explains the draw. Well, sort of:
https://www.efl.com/news/2017/novemb...edium=referral

cashman 09-11-2017 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1204242)
This explains the draw. Well, sort of:
https://www.efl.com/news/2017/novemb...edium=referral

Not to me it dont.:D

accybeme 10-11-2017 08:49

while not a fan of Paul Cook I find myself in agreement with his line on the checkatrade trophy, this web page from Wigan evening post says it all
The 12th Man: Checkatrade malfunction, but Cook?s stance is best - Wigan Today

cashman 10-11-2017 09:08

I also am NO Fan of the snake, but agree 100% with him on his stance. Seems Bradford City fans have made a great stand against this abomination of a trophy, so well done them.

AccyMad 10-11-2017 09:39

It's all well & good taking such a stance if you can afford the fines that come with it, what about the clubs who can't & are forced to go along with the ridiculousness of the competition?
I've made my own personal stand by not attending any if our Checkatrade games, it goes right against the grain as I don't like not being there to support our lads but I'll continue with it even if it means missing us playing at Wembley (& my God, that would hurt!)

cashman 10-11-2017 09:43

Thing is if the clubs that aint worried about the fines continue as some are doing, then its the best chance of the knobheads reverting back imho.

Chimer 10-11-2017 09:52

This story will warm your heart, Cashy ....

Checkatrade Trophy: Three Sunderland fans make trip to Grimsby Town - BBC Sport

cashman 10-11-2017 09:56

Cheers Chimer:)

monkey hanger 10-11-2017 11:14

[QUOTE=accybeme;1204289]while not a fan of Paul Cook I find myself in agreement with his line on the checkatrade trophy, this web page from Wigan evening post says it all

hate to agree myself but everything in the wigan paper for me is correct. anyone who goes to these games are in a way supporting the idea for B teams entering the football league. i,m sure this will eventually happen if the bribe is big enough for a lot of cash strapped league clubs. if atanley are ever involved in that type of thing i for one will pick my games carefully.

accybeme 10-11-2017 11:39

As I understand this The EPL coerced lower league clubs to vote for the checkatrade new format by threatening to take away their current share of handed down TV money, only trouble they cannot make the fans attend these matches,

monkey hanger 10-11-2017 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by accybeme (Post 1204304)
As I understand this The EPL coerced lower league clubs to vote for the checkatrade new format by threatening to take away their current share of handed down TV money, only trouble they cannot make the fans attend these matches,

yes the dirty tricks brigade were out in force knowing most if not all rely upon that money. they,ll do anything to get their way and could not care less about fans being at stanley or any other lower division sides. we have not heard the last of their bribes by any means.

Thin Monkey 10-11-2017 17:47

Lincoln away in round 2.

AccyMad 10-11-2017 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thin Monkey (Post 1204316)
Lincoln away in round 2.

Another mouthwatering cup tie :rolleyes:

Chewbacca 11-11-2017 12:39

Lincoln will probably be thinking the same with more players and staff than fans attending from our end.

It will be a few days after Mansfield away if we win the replay, so a similar journey or a stop over for die-hards in Sherwood forest.