Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Irons Match Thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/irons-match-thread-70160.html)

mab 30-08-2018 21:57

Irons Match Thread

:) Saturdays Match Official's Ref Chris Sarginson assisted by Nik Barnard and Lee Freeman, while Mark Dwyer has been appointed as the fourth official. https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/...ey-away-clash/ OYR'S

cashman 31-08-2018 07:06

Re: Irons Match Thread

Well it will be very difficult for the Ref to be a bigger clown than the one at Blackpool imho.

monkey hanger 31-08-2018 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1216845)
Well it will be very difficult for the Ref to be a bigger clown than the one at Blackpool imho.

don,t worry chris sargenson will really try his best to outdo anyone. if kettle gets a 0 he,d only get a 1.

Exile on Spencer St 31-08-2018 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1216853)
don,t worry chris sargenson will really try his best to outdo anyone. if kettle gets a 0 he,d only get a 1.

You're being far too generous to Kettle.

maccawozzagod 01-09-2018 13:44

Zanzala up front on his own today! Fully prepared for zero today ...

Lord Didsbury 01-09-2018 15:03

Stanley looking great. Better team without Kee...but can we score?

Kiwi John 01-09-2018 15:39

#@$%#@$&^&*%*^(*^*&%#$%#@!!!!!

Kiwi John 01-09-2018 15:41

YESSSSSS you beauty Seamus

Kiwi John 01-09-2018 15:56

1 point better than zilch...but when will we win at home??....Wish Morecambe was in our league...

Exile on Spencer St 01-09-2018 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1216943)

Is it the 15 minute or the full hour argument you want?:rolleyes:

cashman 01-09-2018 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1216940)
Zanzala up front on his own today! Fully prepared for zero today ...

Spot on much too lightweight,

yonmon 01-09-2018 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1216949)
Spot on much too lightweight,

And short on Skill ??....😎

chevyfire 01-09-2018 18:49

We played well without putting goal away. Zanzala has improved alot to me particularly his hold up and link up play. I would like to see his finishing improve now! Might have been the difference between us winning and drawing today. At times in the first half are passing was really good and we looked far the better side. Second half was a bit more even. Great resilience again to come back after conceding the goal. Hughes was once again a rock. The new centre back feels like he has toto nsaila mistake in him but apart from that looks solid. Left back anderton looks solid. This season we don't seem quite as invicible in the air at the back. Teams are scoring from crosses and knockdowns. Interested to see if the new loan players can affect us positively going forward.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Twenty Eight 01-09-2018 19:11

Zanzala is a worry for me. The lad cannot finish. Let’s see whether either of the loanees improve us.

AccyMad 01-09-2018 19:14

Quote:

Are you actually serious - we definitely missed Billy today

ferret man 01-09-2018 19:15

Quote:

Better team without KEE what are you on. We would have been 2 or 3 goals up with Kee getting the service he could have had today if fit,as for Zanzala has he really played football before, on todays show it sure didn't look like it.

get well soon Billy.

cashman 01-09-2018 19:24

Zanzalas big problem apart from his finishing, is the fact he don't stay on his feet, which helps if footballs yer occupation.

Lord Stiffupperlip 01-09-2018 20:47

Despite predicting a draw, this was a game Stanley could have won by half-time, such was our domination in the first 45 minutes.
The Iron looked as rusty as the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. Unfortunately, our Kee free attack was even rustier.
Zanzala was given the privilege of leading the attack for a full 90 minutes. Here was his moment in the spotlight, his chance to shine.
Instead he gave an outstanding performance - as 'The Invisible Man'.
If Kayden Jackson was a white shark, deadly in attack, then Zanzala looked like a basking shark. Slow, lumbering & toothless.
Mid way through the second half the Iron sharpened up their act & began to boss the game.
From being in total control, the inevitable result of not taking your chances came back to bite us on the bum when, on 80 minutes Scunny pulled off daylight robbery by scoring.
Two minutes later, Conneely pulled out a 'get out of jail' card & showed our forwards how to do it by smashing in a vital equaliser.
Never been so relieved before to actually win a point.
Hurry back Billy Boy!

Lord Didsbury 01-09-2018 20:47

First half was an epic performance, our midfield was so solid. second half scrappy and Scunthorpe finished stronger.
Hard to pick a MOTM.
Zanzala does not look good enough to me but I’d like to see him get a run of games to know for sure. If we have three in central midfield then surely we need someone who runs around a lot on their own rather than Billy. Maybe the Bolton forward is the answer?

A few more observations:
Ripley - I like him. Not afraid to ping out some long balls to our wingers.
Finley - much quieter game than last home game, still looks class at times
Clark - is a championship player
Voulez Vous song about Hughes - is awful. The one about Jimmy John and Eric Whalley is however, a banger.
Anderton - left back spot is his
Ref - 3 mins of injury time???? Just bonkers. Should have been six.

Finally, Ripley made history in the second half. First player to hoof it over the roof of the new stand.

Chimer 01-09-2018 21:25

Speaking of the new stand, what was the atmosphere like today? On my rare trip north for the Gills game, I thought it was very flat except for the first and last 15 minutes- maybe because of the open side?

Exile on Spencer St 01-09-2018 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1216966)
Speaking of the new stand, what was the atmosphere like today? On my rare trip north for the Gills game, I thought it was very flat except for the first and last 15 minutes- maybe because of the open side?

You mean the usual vocal crescendo from the Scrattin' Sheds was missing? Maybe it was the result?

chevyfire 01-09-2018 22:18

Atmosphere was average. Not on par with in ultra hey days of mid/late noughties or the big games or when we take alot away. But better than three/four years ago. The bit extra numbers helps a little. I encourage all those whom attend to make a racket as I do think it helps the players and are team. A small group sung quite a bit for most of game but we did have quiet moments (rarely heard Scunthorpe fans throughout the game).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Chimer 01-09-2018 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1216967)
You mean the usual vocal crescendo from the Scrattin' Sheds was missing? Maybe it was the result?

No, the Clayton End went quiet long before the first Gills goal that day.

monkey hanger 02-09-2018 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1216961)
Better team without KEE what are you on. We would have been 2 or 3 goals up with Kee getting the service he could have had today if fit,as for Zanzala has he really played football before, on todays show it sure didn't look like it.

get well soon Billy.

agree with you about billy. they were there for the taking and it felt like 2 points lost for me. as for zanzala he can only get better.

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 08:31

That’s the point Monkey. I don’t think he can get better.

cashman 02-09-2018 08:41

Oh i think at 19 he can probably get better! but will never attain League 1 standard, but possibly get good enough for the Conference.:rolleyes: Personally i hope the new loanees are ok and we never see him again.

yonmon 02-09-2018 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1216978)
Oh i think at 19 he can probably get better! but will never attain League 1 standard, but possibly get good enough for the Conference.:rolleyes: Personally i hope the new loanees are ok and we never see him again.

And that is that !!... 😎

ZZZZZZZ !...🤐

cashman 02-09-2018 09:26

In the cold light of day, we played really well first half without finishing anything, was alaways gonna be hard with our main 2 strikers from last season absent, but cant understand why what i regard our main threat from corners was absent? Sykes to me should have played, hes a decent threat from sean macs corners, no doubt at all to me. we didn't seem to have anyone that looked like getting on the end of em to me.:confused:

AccyMad 02-09-2018 10:03

I think some are being a bit harsh on Zanzala, he hasn't played much yet & suddenly is thrown up front on his own for 90 minutes - ok, Mangan came on late on supposedly to help him out but in my book he was conspicuous by his absence.
In the first half we could've/should've had three or four but in the second half Scunthorpe had obviously had a rocket & came out a different team. Both defences I thought were for the most part, excellent & it became a more even contest.
Once we get that first home win (& it'll most likely come next week when I can't be there!) we'll be fine - I'm quite happy with 8th place at the moment & being unbeaten in 5 games, especially when the 'experts' had us down as relegation fodder before a ball had been kicked (nothing unusual in that though).
At the end of the day, we're in a tougher league & our new players are still settling - I've no worries at all that we can't hack it in League 1 :)

cashman 02-09-2018 10:10

I have no worries we cant hack it, if telling what i see as the truth is harsh so be it.:rolleyes:

Lord Stiffupperlip 02-09-2018 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1216982)
In the cold light of day, we played really well first half without finishing anything, was alaways gonna be hard with our main 2 strikers from last season absent, but cant understand why what i regard our main threat from corners was absent? Sykes to me should have played, hes a decent threat from sean macs corners, no doubt at all to me. we didn't seem to have anyone that looked like getting on the end of em to me.:confused:

Got to agree there Cashy.
After all the praise young Sykes has received lately I was amazed he was dropped to the bench.
Anderton looks a class act at left-back, but I can't say I'm overly impressed by Ihiekwe.
IMHO both Big Ben & Sykes are as good & have the added advantage of height.
Plus, they've both shown they can hit the back of the net given the chance.

maccawozzagod 02-09-2018 11:00

I think that Sykes will continue to miss odd games through rest. He's young and needs mental rest as much as physical rest, or so football pundits will tell you

cashman 02-09-2018 11:43

Everyone has different views, i think he needs match experience to learn the game. it aint as if hes not playing well? thats the time to rest in my view.

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 12:31

Quote:

Hes 21 actually - 22 later this year.

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 12:36

Quote:

You mean Zanzala ?
He's 21 - 22 later this year.
He's had 12 starts across his career and has one goal - a penalty.
To be fair to the lad he did have a nasty injury and I cant help feeling that has set him back considerably. He missed a full season with an ACL injury.

cashman 02-09-2018 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1216993)
You mean Zanzala ?
He's 21 - 22 later this year.
He's had 12 starts across his career and has one goal - a penalty.
To be fair to the lad he did have a nasty injury and I cant help feeling that has set him back considerably. He missed a full season with an ACL injury.

Fair enough with the age, that makes it worse to me.;)

DAV007 02-09-2018 13:29

How did Zanzala play?
Worth persevering with?

I know some fans for strange reasons don’t like giving individual player reviews (???) but be grateful if any real fans wish to provide ratings for those of us who couldn’t attend.

cashman 02-09-2018 13:33

I thought he was very poor Dav, shooting was bad, kept falling off his feet, not impressed at all.

choirboy 02-09-2018 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1216995)
How did Zanzala play?
Worth persevering with?

I know some fans for strange reasons don’t like giving individual player reviews (???) but be grateful if any real fans wish to provide ratings for those of us who couldn’t attend.

Zanzala played quite well for me and he is worth persevering with but he should have scored a couple of goals yesterday.

Ratings?!?...Here goes;:egged:

Ripley K+
Johnson 2 to 8
Hughes XXX
Eckylad 69
Atherton AA
Clarke 300%
Finlay 707
Brown 666
Coneely SAS
Zanzala C-
McConville 28 1/2

Hope this helps Dav!But you will have to work out mys system!:mosher:

By the way Stanley SHOULD have won 6 - 0!

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 14:07

Jordan's had a great start to the season. OK missed a couple but if it wasn't for the woodwork .............
Yet again albeit for a short spell he looked the part down the left.
For me I'd take a chance on him in the Finlay role.

Chrisr 02-09-2018 15:20

I would have put susa and piero on together and played Mangan from the start. We allowed a worse team to drag us down to their level. We should have won that game as this is where we need to be picking up points in this league. We are holding our own so far I am at a loss with our tactics at times and our substitution policy. but so far so good

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 17:18

Mate
Which three would you have dropped to facilitate this ?

cashman 02-09-2018 19:10

Myself given injuriies thought our starting line up on sat was very good. But would have put mangan on after about 1 Hr, cos Zanzala wasn't cutting it.

DAV007 02-09-2018 19:43

I appreciate Cashman’s honesty and point of view

And for anyone who doesn’t like such honesty, Cashman will be the first to hope Zanzala proves him wrong and becomes a top player moving on to a big club on a big fee (after he scores 30 in the league and gets Stanley into the championship).

DAV007 02-09-2018 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1216997)
Zanzala played quite well for me and he is worth persevering with but he should have scored a couple of goals yesterday.

Ratings?!?...Here goes;:egged:

Ripley K+
Johnson 2 to 8
Hughes XXX
Eckylad 69
Atherton AA
Clarke 300%
Finlay 707
Brown 666
Coneely SAS
Zanzala C-
McConville 28 1/2

Hope this helps Dav!But you will have to work out mys system!:mosher:

By the way Stanley SHOULD have won 6 - 0!

Your better than this

Exile on Spencer St 02-09-2018 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1217012)
Your better than this

So how do you rate him, Davo? :rolleyes:

DAV007 02-09-2018 20:34

3/10

Lots of effort, but no end product

mab 02-09-2018 20:48

https://www.iron-bru.co.uk/report-accrington-stanley/ https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/...-accrington-a/ Accrington 1-1 Scunthorpe | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

mab 02-09-2018 21:02

Zanzala unlucky not to score against the irons .From bit parts last season to be given the main strikers job might have been a bit to much for the young lad he tried and gave 100% . may be A Mangan a long side him from the start might have carried a lot of the work load. KTF

AccyMad 02-09-2018 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1217016)
Zanzala unlucky not to score against the irons .From bit parts last season to be given the main strikers job might have been a bit to much for the young lad he tried and gave 100% . may be A Mangan a long side him from the start might have carried a lot of the work load. KTF

Definitely needed someone up front with him - jury's still out on whether Mangan is the answer though :rolleyes:

mab 02-09-2018 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1217017)
Definitely needed someone up front with him - jury's still out on whether Mangan is the answer though :rolleyes:

Mangans been a round a bit and is only Experienced league striker we have a part from Billy :)

AccyMad 03-09-2018 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1217018)
Mangans been a round a bit and is only Experienced league striker we have a part from Billy :)

Maybe, but he's not played at this level for a couple of years now - suppose time will tell if he's still got it . . . . .

monkey hanger 03-09-2018 08:11

zanzala was poor on saturday but so were windass and crooks when they started with us and do not forget how poor sean was when he came back. not writing him off just yet but i certainly have my doubts about him.

cashman 03-09-2018 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1217021)
zanzala was poor on saturday but so were windass and crooks when they started with us and do not forget how poor sean was when he came back. not writing him off just yet but i certainly have my doubts about him.

That is very true, But to me Stanley were not in the best shape back then, i was hoping perhaps we had moved forward a bit since.

Lord Didsbury 03-09-2018 13:40

I have doubts about Zanzala but the only way to tell is give him a few games IMHO.

(I believe Malik Wilkes is on fire and he attracted similar negative comments last year.)

In any event, we have indisputably played better with him in the team instead of Billy.... or should i say in the home games so far (I have not been away yet). Billy might score more but if that's at the cost to the team then I can't see it being detrimental overall for Zanzala to have a decent run. We need Finley, Brown and Seamus all playing.

cashman 03-09-2018 13:43

How the hell can scoring regular be at a cost to any team? are yeh on Drugs?:rolleyes:

cashman 03-09-2018 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1217030)
How the hell can scoring regular be at a cost to any team? are yeh on Drugs?:rolleyes:

Have just read Billy Kee has been nominated for League 2 player of the year for last season, so yeh must be.:rolleyes:

andyd 03-09-2018 17:39

I try and take positives out of any game even when we lose and there was plenty to be pleased about Saturday Scunthorpe are now a well established league 1 side and last couple of seasons have been knocking around the top end of the table. Coley has assembled a big squad this season and it takes time for players to gel including young Zanzala who looks keen and willing to learn at times in the first half we were unplayable and should have been at least 2 or more in front Clark missing 2 good chances but he isn't labelled not good enough at this level keep playing like that and find our best 18 and we'll win more than we lose.

Lord Didsbury 03-09-2018 17:40

Can’t be bothered to look at the stats but suppose Kee gets 15 goals from open play a season and Zanzala gets, say, 10. Those 5 goals make a difference but not as much a difference as a Stanley team playing as well as they did on Saturday all season versus the team that struggled v gillingham.

In any case, it’s about the enjoyment factor too. Kee winning free kicks from shoves from behind to advance forward versus joyful pace and passing from the team.

AccyMad 03-09-2018 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1217037)
Can’t be bothered to look at the stats but suppose Kee gets 15 goals from open play a season and Zanzala gets, say, 10. Those 5 goals make a difference but not as much a difference as a Stanley team playing as well as they did on Saturday all season versus the team that struggled v gillingham.

In any case, it’s about the enjoyment factor too. Kee winning free kicks from shoves from behind to advance forward versus joyful pace and passing from the team.

So it was all Billy's fault that the team struggled against Gillingham was it?? Get a grip - I don't see how you can base your theory that the team play better without him on the one game that he hasn't played in :rolleyes:

DAV007 03-09-2018 23:21

would it be fair to argue Stanley dont play to Zanzala's strengths?

cashman 04-09-2018 06:55

Not really Dav, Have a few concerns oer our midfield, but that dont make yeh miss the target by a country mile. but those concerns would be same for any forward?

monkey hanger 04-09-2018 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1217046)
So it was all Billy's fault that the team struggled against Gillingham was it?? Get a grip - I don't see how you can base your theory that the team play better without him on the one game that he hasn't played in :rolleyes:

bet the scunthorpe centre half felt really sorry that billy was out on saturday. thought he was going to have an easy game if he was playing.

Lord Stiffupperlip 04-09-2018 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1217050)
would it be fair to argue Stanley dont play to Zanzala's strengths?

Perhaps you could enlighten us Dav?
Apart from the odd appearance as a sub, I think Saturday was the first time he's played a full 90 minutes.
His ball control was poor & he was constantly out-muscled by defenders.
Based on Saturday's performance, I'd lay odds if he led the attack for the rest of the season, he'd be lucky to score more than 3 or 4 goals.