Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Southend United Thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/southend-united-thread-70326.html)

cashman 15-12-2018 13:13

Southend United Thread

same team except IHIEKWI is back in place of Ross Sykes. good to see 2 up front, its what won us the League last season IMHO.:)

cashman 15-12-2018 14:19

Re: Southend United Thread

1-0 Southend against run of play thats life.

Kiwi John 15-12-2018 14:25

0-2...Oh dear, think we're in the **** . :(

cashman 15-12-2018 14:25

2-0 .:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lord Didsbury 15-12-2018 14:25

0-2 a long way back but plenty of time
Cum on lads!

Twenty Eight 15-12-2018 14:32

All well and good going all out two up top away ....... but without one midfielder who can defend ?

cashman 15-12-2018 14:45

The stats tell the real story, we have 7 shots 1 on target, Southend 6 shots 4 on target.

Phil Whalley 15-12-2018 14:58

Southend playing to conditions, shooting on sight. Stanley playing all right, good build up, but Southend defending the ball in really well. All is not lost but need a goal to get us back into it.

Kiwi John 15-12-2018 15:20

Watch out FGR, a 'thing' called Somerset will be messaging you shortly.

Twenty Eight 15-12-2018 15:21

Getting exposed badly on the break.

Lord Didsbury 15-12-2018 15:22

Sounds like Finley is in the thick of the action today judging by the number of times he’s being mentioned on Twitter?

Kiwi John 15-12-2018 15:28

3-0...this is seriously not looking good.

cashman 15-12-2018 15:28

3-0 all oer now i reckon

Twenty Eight 15-12-2018 15:30

Caught napping midfield ........ done on the break.

Kiwi John 15-12-2018 15:32

..I'm going back to bed.

cashman 15-12-2018 15:40

Hall just had a goal disallowed cos Ross was offside, poor lads having no luck getting his goal.

KiTChener 15-12-2018 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1220691)
..I'm going back to bed.

Me too.... & it's only 4-45pm here!!

AccyMad 15-12-2018 15:46

Don't suppose there's any chance of it being abandoned???

Phil Whalley 15-12-2018 17:01

Southend did a job on us today. V little between the sides, we probably played the better football in atrocious conditions, but had to work hard to create a clear chance. When we did, they defended really well, blocking and spoiling. When they could, Southend got shots off and looked to pick up rebounds in the box - first two goals came in this way. We had large amounts of possession 2nd half but didn't properly test their keeper. Plus they were good at the darker arts - Hughesy got a nasty challenge in the back that eventually saw him off. Not the best day at the office, but happened to meet a crafty, well-drilled side who made the conditions work for them.

Exile on Spencer St 15-12-2018 19:27

Good summary from Phil.
Thought that a few Stanley players looked half a yard off the pace compared with their opponents and that Southend had Stanley’s game figured out. In the first half Southend used the strong wind by loping balls over the defenders, especially down their left wing. In the second half they knew Stanley would always try to play out from the back and so pressed every Stanley player as soon as they got the ball. They also pressed in pairs so there was always a blue shirt on hand to pick up the loose ball.
Not taking chances is a problem for the team but, today, so was being asleep at a corner, which led to their second goal, and getting isolated and then robbed to gift them their third.
Their No31, Robinson, was a real menace; if only Professor Coleman could find another striker with his speed and strength.

rootshallbloke 15-12-2018 20:25

Hi all

Southend supporter here. I'm not on to comment on the game, but to offer you this from our local newspaper regarding John Colman. Your guy earnt lots of respect from Southend fans today for his sportsmanship.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17...leman/?ref=rss

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Lord Stiffupperlip 15-12-2018 21:15

Perhaps more concerning than today's defeat is Mr Coleman's post match admission that he's repeating himself after every game.
'The score didn't reflect the game. We should have won. We didn't deserve to lose' etc etc.
All the above may be true, but after 4 league defeats in a row I don't think 'We've got to work harder' is fair on our players.
I wasn't at the match today, but at every game I've attended the players have always given 100% - win or lose.
I'd be interested to know from those who were at today's game whether they agree that the defeat was down to lack of player effort?
Or is it simply that we're up against better players & smarter tactics.
Last season we got knocked out of every cup in the first round & ended up winning the league.
I hope this season won't be one where we have cup success & end up in a relegation battle.

Revived Red 15-12-2018 21:33

Certainly not true to say that the players failed to give 100%. Without exception they did their best in atrocious conditions. Southend's first goal looked suspiciously offside, their second goal came from a failure to clear from defence, and their third was the result of a Stanley player being caught in possession. I thought we played well and created good chances - but we failed to make them count. As an aside, we were faced with another set of inept officials. The assistant referee nearest to us was clueless.

Exile on Spencer St 15-12-2018 21:52

https://www.skysports.com/football/s.../report/393357

There was certainly no lack of effort from the players.
There were more close calls at either end than shown in the very brief 'highlights' attached.

Twenty Eight 16-12-2018 08:32

Stick by what I said.
Go two up top and you must have a defensive minded midfielder in.
Situation is even worse when your two up top have a bad day ....... which is exactly what happened.
I could see it coming and sure everyone else did when the third went in.
Another big test next week ......

monkey hanger 16-12-2018 10:13

both stanley and southend were out of form in the league. we are in our usual november/december slump. lets hope we get back to winning ways on boxing day as plymouth away will be another really tough game as they seem to have picked up a bit lately.

Twenty Eight 16-12-2018 10:16

So have Shrewsbury .......

andyd 16-12-2018 11:53

Don't buy this usual time of year slump we earned our right to be in this league and we are in a period of transition as we were when we were promoted from the conference we haven't done badly but it's pretty clear to me and probably to the management team some players aren't league 1 quality and as we aren't a cash rich club we can't just buy our way upwards. It wil take time 2 to 3 seasons to become established at this level and along with the marvellous off field work being done to the stadium and surrounding area we are going in the right direction.

Exile on Spencer St 16-12-2018 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1220707)
....Go two up top and you must have a defensive minded midfielder in. ......

I'm really struggling to see how having a 'defensive minded midfielder' would have helped Stanley score any of the chances they created (chances which, presumably, attacking minded mid fielders helped to create).

Twenty Eight 16-12-2018 22:11

I was talking about how they hit us on the break Exile. Defensively in midfield we looked short.
Agreed Barlaser and Finlay are good offensively but if it breaks down we look vulnerable.
Only my opinion before I got shot down.

Lord Love Rocket 17-12-2018 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1220739)
I was talking about how they hit us on the break Exile. Defensively in midfield we looked short.
Agreed Barlaser and Finlay are good offensively but if it breaks down we look vulnerable.
Only my opinion before I got shot down.

So who would you have started with twenty eight? Scott or let me guess your son?? More importantly who would you have left out? Young Dan? He's twice the player your lad is... what a joke you are... clueless old man

Twenty Eight 17-12-2018 08:24

Sad man.

Twenty Eight 17-12-2018 08:38

Stop with the personal insults and start having a sensible debate.
Personally I’d have only played one up top supported by Finlay from midfield and dropped Scott Brown in.
However if you go with two then one of Barlaser and Finlay had to be sacrificed to get a bit of cover.
Big choice for the Manager.
Nothing to stop changing your formation during a game is there ?
It’s an opinion - you know what forums are about.

Lord Love Rocket 17-12-2018 10:57

You seem to know that much you should go into management ?😂

Wynonie Harris 17-12-2018 11:23

Although we have the occasional heated discussion, personal insults, veiled threats and nastiness are not what this forum is about. Can we cut it out please?

Twenty Eight 17-12-2018 11:24

I bet there's a lot of Accrington fans ...... well maybe the other 87 that were there Saturday who agree with me. Don't be deceived by the highlights. We were wide open through the middle.
Don't have to be a Manager to see what's right in front of your eyes.
Anything constructive to say or more sarcasm and smileys ?

Twenty Eight 17-12-2018 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1220757)
Although we have the occasional heated discussion, personal insults, veiled threats and nastiness are not what this forum is about. Can we cut it out please?

Wynonie - which is exactly what I'm doing. Please don't paint me with that brush.

The threats from him have already been deleted.
Moving on ......

Wynonie Harris 17-12-2018 11:35

I know - I deleted them! No more insults from anyone please. As you say, let's move on.

Exile on Spencer St 17-12-2018 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1220758)
I bet there's a lot of Accrington fans ...... well maybe the other 87 that were there Saturday who agree with me. Don't be deceived by the highlights. We were wide open through the middle.
Don't have to be a Manager to see what's right in front of your eyes.
Anything constructive to say or more sarcasm and smileys ?

I was one of the 88 and what stood out like a flashing red light throughout the first half was that Southend targeted almost all of their attacks down their left wing. They’d clearly targeted Johnson as the easier option of the back four. Johnson has many qualities but he’s not the strongest defensively. Any support a defensive midfielder, or indeed Clark who was wide on the right, could have provided would have been negated because they simply lobbed the ball, into the wind, over the heads of any midfield. Certainly the third goal exposed how easy it was for Southend’s MotM to race through the middle and score, but the other two (and more critical) goals both came down the left side.
The other issue I noticed was Stanley’s determination to play out from the back. This is laudable and i’m NOT suggesting the should revert to lumping long balls every time. But, with Southend’s forwards pressing the Stanley defenders, it meant that progress was often slow and, by the time the ball got near their goalmouth, there were two rows of four defenders crowding their box.
Again, I’m not convinced that having a more defensive midfielder would have had helped avoid two of the three goals.
The chances are being created but, as Southend showed, they need to be taken.

ferret man 17-12-2018 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynonie harris (Post 1220757)
although we have the occasional heated discussion, personal insults, veiled threats and nastiness are not what this forum is about. Can we cut it out please?

let's get ready to grrruuummmbbbllleee

rootshallbloke 17-12-2018 15:46

Hi All, Southend fan here. Not related to the game, but I thought you might like to see our local paper's report on your manager and his sportsmanship. The view is held by a lot of Southend fans as well. You should all be proud of him as sportsmanship is seldom seen in pro football these days.

I tried posting this earlier but it appears to have disappeared up its own behind. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17...-john-coleman/

andyd 17-12-2018 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1220761)
I was one of the 88 and what stood out like a flashing red light throughout the first half was that Southend targeted almost all of their attacks down their left wing. They’d clearly targeted Johnson as the easier option of the back four. Johnson has many qualities but he’s not the strongest defensively. Any support a defensive midfielder, or indeed Clark who was wide on the right, could have provided would have been negated because they simply lobbed the ball, into the wind, over the heads of any midfield. Certainly the third goal exposed how easy it was for Southend’s MotM to race through the middle and score, but the other two (and more critical) goals both came down the left side.
The other issue I noticed was Stanley’s determination to play out from the back. This is laudable and i’m NOT suggesting the should revert to lumping long balls every time. But, with Southend’s forwards pressing the Stanley defenders, it meant that progress was often slow and, by the time the ball got near their goalmouth, there were two rows of four defenders crowding their box.
Again, I’m not convinced that having a more defensive midfielder would have had helped avoid two of the three goals.
The chances are being created but, as Southend showed, they need to be taken.

Have to agree Johnson isn't a brilliant defender his qualities are going forward maybe it's a position along with left back if Anderton goes to fill in January.

cashman 17-12-2018 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1220766)
Have to agree Johnson isn't a brilliant defender his qualities are going forward maybe it's a position along with left back if Anderton goes to fill in January.

I know someone else who aint a brilliant defender, a bit better than johnson slightly in that respect, but this ones qualities are sideways and backwards.:rolleyes:

Lord Love Rocket 18-12-2018 11:02

I agree about Johnson great going forward but not the best defensively. Got cought out on Sat in midfield and poor finishing.we need a scrappy 1 nill from somewhere.we need to get out of this quickly or I fear for us as we are bottom at the form table.

monkey hanger 18-12-2018 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket (Post 1220783)
I agree about Johnson great going forward but not the best defensively. Got cought out on Sat in midfield and poor finishing.we need a scrappy 1 nill from somewhere.we need to get out of this quickly or I fear for us as we are bottom at the form table.

think our early season form got some thinking a bit above themselves where stanley were concerned. all clubs have good and bad runs and dare i say we are too good to go down. would take our position that we are in at the moment as our finishing position and would still think we,ve had a good season.

cashman 18-12-2018 15:57

I agree 100% but think we will finish slightly higher.

Lord Didsbury 19-12-2018 18:50

Keep the faith. We could still sneak promotion playoff place.
However, I feel that means Kee has to start scoring, or someone has to instead. Whatever your opinion of his form might be, or whether the system is not helping him, two goals from open play is dreadful.

cashman 19-12-2018 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1220809)
Keep the faith. We could still sneak promotion playoff place.
However, I feel that means Kee has to start scoring, or someone has to instead. Whatever your opinion of his form might be, or whether the system is not helping him, two goals from open play is dreadful.

its one hell of a long shot possible but not probable i think.

Lord Love Rocket 20-12-2018 09:04

If anyone gets a chance go on Hartlepool mail sport. Peace in there about young Harvey's start a pools

Chimer 20-12-2018 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket (Post 1220826)
If anyone gets a chance go on Hartlepool mail sport. Peace in there about young Harvey's start a pools

I'll settle for peace on AccyWeb, myself :D

monkey hanger 20-12-2018 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket (Post 1220826)

youtube video of him doing some good work at leamington last saturday in the fa trophy.

MikeA 20-12-2018 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1220828)
youtube video of him doing some good work at leamington last saturday in the fa trophy.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0E...ctivity_view=1

Exile on Spencer St 21-12-2018 09:11

Didn’t recognise Mr. Rogers with his new haircut, but he appeared to do well. Good luck to him.

cashman 21-12-2018 10:56

seemed ok to me, best of british to the lad,

monkey hanger 21-12-2018 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1220853)
seemed ok to me, best of british to the lad,

he will need it tomorrow as he will be making his home debut. it will not be like playing at the wham as any slight mistake he makes will be treated with more than a few comments from the poolie faithfull. more than a few fans up there are very unforgiving.

Lord Stiffupperlip 21-12-2018 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1220855)
he will need it tomorrow as he will be making his home debut. it will not be like playing at the wham as any slight mistake he makes will be treated with more than a few comments from the poolie faithfull.

Not like playing at the Wham??????
Recall there were more than a few negative comments on here when Harvey played his first game after returning.

monkey hanger 22-12-2018 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1220866)
Not like playing at the Wham??????
Recall there were more than a few negative comments on here when Harvey played his first game after returning.

on the whole stanley fans are quite supportive of players on the pitch apart from a regular few in the jack barrett. pools fans will get on anyones back even the captain if he looses the toss.