Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Zanzala (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/zanzala-70491.html)

RedSocks62 14-03-2019 11:37

Zanzala

Whats everyones thoughts are on Zanzala? I've seen a few messages on here when things havent been going very well that we should be giving him more time, but whenever Ive seen him I always thought he wasn't really quick or strong enough in his play and isnt exactly a massive goal threat. He did ok in one or two games earlier on this season but never made a huge impact for me - for me hes our 4th choice striker, but that doesnt always seem to be the popular opinion. Just wondering what people think, and if they see something I dont?

monkey hanger 16-03-2019 07:31

Re: Zanzala

he,s one i cannot make my mind up about. one minuit he looks to have something different the rest do not have and a minuit later he,s just a comedy interlude. will he become a good player with us. i doubt anyone really knows.

andyd 16-03-2019 07:41

Can see him being loaned out next season if only for some kind of improvement sadly can't see it definitely not league1 standard.

cashman 16-03-2019 08:07

He does try, but for me mainly fails badly.

monkey hanger 16-03-2019 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1225579)
He does try, but for me mainly fails badly.

do you mean fail or falls badly cashy.

ferret man 16-03-2019 10:46

The lad does try but falls short maybe if he can get his legs and brain working together he will improve

monkey hanger 16-03-2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1225605)
The lad does try but falls short maybe if he can get his legs and brain working together he will improve

think his legs and brain all working at different times his is main asset as defenders like us have no clue what he is going to do next.

Twenty Eight 16-03-2019 11:07

Not good enough.
No point masking it up as anything else.
Wish we had Malik Wilks.

monkey hanger 16-03-2019 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225611)
Not good enough.
No point masking it up as anything else.
Wish we had Malik Wilks.

yes this seasons malik wilks but not last seasons. mind you it does help if you get a regular start and not a 85th minute substitute.

ferret man 16-03-2019 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1225616)
yes this seasons malik wilks but not last seasons. mind you it does help if you get a regular start and not a 85th minute substitute.

Could this be the key to Zanzalas improvement

cashman 16-03-2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1225617)

Staying upright may help also.

Spartacus2nd 16-03-2019 15:10

He'll be an absolute beast for someone later in his career. But first he needs to learn how to use his strength wisely. Effort and enthusiasm in abundance but his inability to stay upright AND hold off the defender has cost him and us.

He had a good run in the side, and could do with another, but this stage of an arse clenching run in isnt the time. He's still young and hopefully isnt the sort to demand he goes elsewhere - prseason and a run of games this autumn could sort him out.

monkey hanger 17-03-2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1225617)

you mean going to another club to achieve it.

Twenty Eight 17-03-2019 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225625)
He'll be an absolute beast for someone later in his career. But first he needs to learn how to use his strength wisely. Effort and enthusiasm in abundance but his inability to stay upright AND hold off the defender has cost him and us.

He had a good run in the side, and could do with another, but this stage of an arse clenching run in isnt the time. He's still young and hopefully isnt the sort to demand he goes elsewhere - prseason and a run of games this autumn could sort him out.

A centre forward who can’t stay upright and hold off defenders ? ........... Not much else to say is there ? I watched him under 18s and he bullied defenders scored regularly. He then lost a full season with a bad knee injury and has never rediscovered his old form.
Maybe the injury has done for him.

Exile on Spencer St 17-03-2019 09:20

Here we are, 3 points off relegation, 10 games left to play, and individual players are still being slagged off and criticised by some of us armchair fans.
Give the lads a break.
Zanzala is currently the third highest goal scorer after Kee and McMarmite and, whilst i’m sure even he will admit he’s no Lukaku, he is a young lad learning his trade and doing his best.
Same with Johnson, Donacien and Maxted, and whoever else happens to be your particular least favourite.
We’re not going to get out of this fight by buying/loaning alternative players so, other than undermining confidence, what is being achieved by this?

monkey hanger 17-03-2019 10:09

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1225656]
Zanzala is currently the third highest goal scorer after Kee and McMarmite and, whilst i’m sure even he will admit he’s no Lukaku, he is a young lad learning his trade and doing his best.

earlier in the season coley mentioned about the fans getting on zanzala,s back and could not understand it as he,s a lovely lad who gives his best. not knocking zanzala but i wonder if coley has given up a bit on him as i do not think he,s had much time on the pitch after being sent off at bradford.

Exile on Spencer St 17-03-2019 12:04

Maybe, MH, but I can guess his answer if you asked Professor Coleman directly. He can’t afford to ‘give up’ on any player but, unless Stanley start playing rugby union to give a game to 15 rather than 11 players, some of the currently extensive squad are going to miss out.
But, should a player need to be brought into the match team, we need to be reinforcing confidence in his abilities, not undermining it.
Unless it’s an attempt to ‘bigup’ a ‘fringe’ player who’s a friend, family or client, or the end of the season when squad decisions need to be made, I don’t think chipping away at specific players at this stage is helpful.

monkey hanger 17-03-2019 12:08

think the signing of armstrong and smyth says a lot about zanzala.

Spartacus2nd 17-03-2019 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225654)
A centre forward who can’t stay upright and hold off defenders ? ........... Not much else to say is there ? I watched him under 18s and he bullied defenders scored regularly. He then lost a full season with a bad knee injury and has never rediscovered his old form.
Maybe the injury has done for him.

He played one of the Trickatrump games early on (Macc maybe) and showed what he CAN do. He bullied, hareassed, shoulder barged, and just generally 'bullied' their defence. It was a joy to watch and i remember thinking there and then that this was the player Coley spoke about. He needs time. When he 'mans up' mentally and physically he'll be a beast

AccyMad 17-03-2019 15:04

Personally, I'd rather watch Zanzala than Armstrong & he is our own player so let's get behind him instead of slagging him off, he really does try & when it all clicks together for him he'll be a real asset

cashman 17-03-2019 15:08

To be honest i would rather watch Smyth and he aint ours, at this point in time, maybe later if he comes too a bit, ok.

Twenty Eight 18-03-2019 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225667)
He played one of the Trickatrump games early on (Macc maybe) and showed what he CAN do. He bullied, hareassed, shoulder barged, and just generally 'bullied' their defence. It was a joy to watch and i remember thinking there and then that this was the player Coley spoke about. He needs time. When he 'mans up' mentally and physically he'll be a beast

But not league One Spartacus. I'm sure we'll get over the line this season and I'm also sure that thoughts for next season will maybe include integrating players with experience of the league.
That will need investment and also mean less reliance on the loan market.
There could be quite a shake up of the squad next season.

cashman 18-03-2019 08:27

If the idea is to progress in league 1 a shake up is defo needed, imho

Spartacus2nd 18-03-2019 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225687)
But not league One Spartacus. I'm sure we'll get over the line this season and I'm also sure that thoughts for next season will maybe include integrating players with experience of the league.

I get your point 28, but my thoughts on Zz are that he needs more belief. The game against Macc seemed like it couldve been a beginning, pretty sure he got a few of his goals around that time as well. What will be will be for that young man i just cant help thinking he's another Kurtis Guthrie

andyd 18-03-2019 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225687)

League one experience costs not just a fee but the bigger stumbling block wages can't personally see that much of a budget increase maybe as we grow the income side which is slowly happening yes but I wouldn't expect to much too soon, hopefully if the training facility is up and running for the start of the season that in itself is a bit more of a pull in attracting the right players but they have to want to come.

Twenty Eight 19-03-2019 19:05

Well I previously mentioned this on a previous thread.
If the budget remains the same then the loan market it is.
If the loan market it is then on the pitch there will be little or no progress.
If everyone is happy with this and I understand many fans with long standing history with the club will be, that's great.
It will only become a problem if or when expectation grows from the stands and terraces.
Not for me personally but I accept four years in doesn't qualify me as having an opinion.
The club to date has decided infrastructure is the priority investment wise.
I just think having toiled to get to this elevated status it would be a damn shame to risk that due to a lack of investment in the squad.

pifco 19-03-2019 19:52

It doesn't matter whether you are "only" four years in everyone is entitled to their opinion and I also know that many people prefer some money to be spent on infrastructure after years of hearing away fans often commenting "what a s**thole this is" and similar. It has been good to hear away fans saying that they have had a great day what agreat atmosphere we have at the Wham.

andyd 20-03-2019 06:21

At the time of Andy Holt coming in the club was virtually skint and was facing the end, now with new ownership and someone guiding the ship we have through various incentives and infrastructure improvements the budget is as I said before is slowly growing it will get better but it will not happen overnight staying up is the priority at this time.

Spartacus2nd 20-03-2019 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225726)
The club to date has decided infrastructure is the priority investment wise.
I just think having toiled to get to this elevated status it would be a damn shame to risk that due to a lack of investment in the squad.

When we won the NPL we had a tidy little ground and our zero or one full time staff was ample. All money was redirected to the playing squad. Three years later we exceeded expectation and won The Conference. TV monies aside there was no great increase in revenue but wages sky rocketed. Since then it was always the case that every spare penny went into the squad leaving us on a trail of increasing debt and rapid decline of facilities.

The next ten years saw us go from being the poorest club with the poorest facilities, to being far and away the poorest club with disgusting facilities. Andy came in, put his hand on the tiller and turned us into a profitable club. That said we still have the poorest facilities and are still the poorest club (with the possible exception of Morecambe). We have competed admirably during that period which is testament to Coleman.

If we doubled our playing budget we would still be in the bottom 3 or 4 clubs of League 2, but would be back to the cycle of having no money to pay bills or improve infrastructure.

It might be 'little Stanley' mentality but i am more than happy to see little progress on the pitch for the foreseeable future. If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

Some clubs spend success windfall money on gambling for more success, we're spending ours on cementing what we have as a club rather than a team

Twenty Eight 20-03-2019 07:17

As I alluded to before I am not a seasoned campaigner so take on board everything that the long standing supporters say.
I see it as a balancing act.
We’ve made a huge profit on Jackson and Donacien but precious little went back into the playing budget.
A little investment in the front line and centre mid could have made a massive difference this year.
Next year will be even tougher because assuming this is the way the club moves on then inevitably we’ll cash our chips in on a few nuggets.
Sykes Johnson Clark ?
If that happens and the profit ploughed into infastructure how do we replace them ?
Total admiration for Andy Holt and what he’s achieved so I’m assuming there’s a game plan in place.

monkey hanger 20-03-2019 07:24

[QUOTE=Spartacus2nd;1225732] If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

if we did go down this season the newer fans we have got this season will in the main fall away again. season ticket sales will drop under the 1000 mark again and you,ll have a nice new stand for the 50 odd crawley fans again. there is no guarentee we would storm back either. ask yeovil fans about the benefits of relegation as they could have the benefit of a day out in dover next season.

Twenty Eight 20-03-2019 07:57

Good points Monkey.

Spartacus2nd 20-03-2019 09:27

In an ideal world we should be saying that a token figure, 50% say, goes back in, but we wouldnt be able to afford the wages next year if we havent sold more nuggets.

Last yrar for example, our transfer fees received would have been almost the same as our annual turnover. As a £5m a year club we would be highly competitive in L2, and able to tread water in L1 ... but without sales a £2.5m club is only just competitive in the conference.

I trust Andy implicitly, but he needs to find a way of doubling our turnover so the income can be budgeted for rather than hoped for

StanleyJosh 20-03-2019 09:45

There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Interesting as well that we are now signing players 'for the future'

Andy Scott - I am a massive fan of his and he had a successful loan spell at Stalybridge Celtic earlier in the season (scored an absolute beauty of a free kick on his debut from 30yards out - 'ey 28 could solve our set piece problems haha!!)

Okera Simmonds - highly rated from the people I've spoke to and had other offers elsewhere - ex Liverpool and Blackburn youth striker. Seen him a few times in training and he's very Kayden Jackson esque with his play.

Spartacus2nd 20-03-2019 10:30

Aymen Josh. Youre right of course. There IS a ceiling on what we can or will do to the ground.

Main stand/clubhouse/changing rooms ... majoritively paid for by the Donacien money providing the plans dont get too grand. My understanding is that the stand itself remains as it is, existing clubhouse and changing rooms get demolished, replaced and joined together, concourse included.

Away end ... a lot of background works are underway as part of the new stand. Will probably be minimal with a roof and concourse similar to the Clayton End. Paid for by the next transfer or cup run?

Community Hub ... paid for externally, ongoing issues, not really relevant but will still be great for the club

Training ground ... seems King Georges is now the preferred option, with costs lower than building from scratch in Read. Paid for by the Jackson transfer with probably some to come back to the club

Once those 2 things are done at The Wham he will probably take a look at how to increase commercial activity, probably put a huge push in for increasing fan base (reduced prices?) and then we're as done as we can be

Twenty Eight 20-03-2019 10:53

[QUOTE=StanleyJosh;1225742]There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.

StanleyJosh 20-03-2019 11:00

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.[/QUOTE]

Y'see. I'm a bit like you 28 in the sense that I have only been following Stanley for 7 years or so. I also have a strong background in football and some good connections.

Whilst I agree in some respect about keeping the 'die hards' happy - I do feel that the club has to move on with our without there acceptance.

I mention this in the nicest way possible, but having attended Q&A's with the supporters club with Andy, John, Jimmy, DB etc, I do feel that "some" people cannot let go of the past and, as with many walks of life, are not acceptable of change, regardless of success.

Hopefully within those 2-3 years, we will have made ourselves a comfortable League 1 outfit, and with everything else falling into place, whose to say we couldn't challenge once again.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I for one am much more thankful we were promoted when we were, rather than 3 years ago.

Spartacus2nd 20-03-2019 12:06

I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards. The club's existence is paramount rather than the current elevated status. I hope that the current elevated status continues but it cant be at the expense of running the club within its means. If that means an imminent return to L2 or below then personally Id take it

monkey hanger 21-03-2019 09:49

[QUOTE=Spartacus2nd;1225751]I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

its fine to remember the past but not to let it affect the present or the future. do think a lot of older fans {i mean time supporting stanley not their actual age** do seam to miss the good old non league days and not 100 per cent behind the modernisation of the club done by andy holt.

AccyMad 21-03-2019 10:14

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225777]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225751)
I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

its fine to remember the past but not to let it affect the present or the future. do think a lot of older fans {i mean time supporting stanley not their actual age** do seam to miss the good old non league days and not 100 per cent behind the modernisation of the club done by andy holt.

I definitely look back on the non league days with oodles of affection, doesn't mean to say I'm not thrilled with how our club has evolved but those times should absolutely never be forgotten.
The work that Andy has done/is doing is fantastic but there wouldn't have been anything to build up but for the sterling work done by his predecessors to ensure we even stayed in existence. Make no mistake, the troubles in 2009 would have caused a repeat of the 1962 situation.
I'm probably not always completely in agreement with everything the club does but that's not just now, it's always been the case - doesn't mean i'm not backing Andy Holt, just that I don't follow anyone with blind faith & if there's something that doesn't feel right I speak up about it, that's another really good thing about our club - there's usually someone who'll listen

smudgie 23-03-2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225732)
When we won the NPL we had a tidy little ground and our zero or one full time staff was ample. All money was redirected to the playing squad. Three years later we exceeded expectation and won The Conference. TV monies aside there was no great increase in revenue but wages sky rocketed. Since then it was always the case that every spare penny went into the squad leaving us on a trail of increasing debt and rapid decline of facilities.

The next ten years saw us go from being the poorest club with the poorest facilities, to being far and away the poorest club with disgusting facilities. Andy came in, put his hand on the tiller and turned us into a profitable club. That said we still have the poorest facilities and are still the poorest club (with the possible exception of Morecambe). We have competed admirably during that period which is testament to Coleman.

If we doubled our playing budget we would still be in the bottom 3 or 4 clubs of League 2, but would be back to the cycle of having no money to pay bills or improve infrastructure.

It might be 'little Stanley' mentality but i am more than happy to see little progress on the pitch for the foreseeable future. If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

Some clubs spend success windfall money on gambling for more success, we're spending ours on cementing what we have as a club rather than a team

Certainly the best post I have read on here for a LONG time. Bravo :)

Crown Grounder 24-03-2019 08:04

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1225745]
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1225742)
There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.

If you are in a rush to get somewhere, then please get going. If you've got another team you want to support, then please support them.

If you really think 3 years is a long time in anything, never mind football you would be better off supporting Manchester City now and then the next wealthy team to buy success when their owner stops spending on the team.

cashman 24-03-2019 09:01

[QUOTE=Crown Grounder;1225957]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225745)

If you are in a rush to get somewhere, then please get going. If you've got another team you want to support, then please support them.

If you really think 3 years is a long time in anything, never mind football you would be better off supporting Manchester City now and then the next wealthy team to buy success when their owner stops spending on the team.

Thats gotta be the stupidest post ever.:rolleyes:

Chrisr 24-03-2019 09:12

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225734]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225732)
If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

if we did go down this season the newer fans we have got this season will in the main fall away again. season ticket sales will drop under the 1000 mark again and you,ll have a nice new stand for the 50 odd crawley fans again. there is no guarentee we would storm back either. ask yeovil fans about the benefits of relegation as they could have the benefit of a day out in dover next season.

The best contribution we all could make is to renew our season tickets. I have.

yonmon 24-03-2019 09:49

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225777]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1225751)
I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

MH !... As you know, Not only am I one of the oldest fans agewise , but can,!Ike so many more of the 'older' fans you mention,remember the days of yore at Peel Park !, and well remember the night when soccer was first played under floodlights there, and feeling a measure of pride at this development at our little club.
I have the same emotions when I walk onto the Wham today, and wonder at the thought and skill behind transforming what was a poorly drained, sloping patch of meals surrounded by a single steel rail ( to prevent crowd invasions ? ) into the attractive Soccer stadium it has become , and silently thank Andy Holt and his team for this.
Although in my dotage, I can hope that I , like so many more ' die hards ' can hope for even more development of all that makes Accrington Stanley great, including the acquiring of players who will ensure that we remain in League 1 but go on to greater things !..

I for one am 100 percent behind all that is Accrington Stanley,as are most of my contemporaries .. our somnolent appearance may not always convince the watcher of this
but i I think t to be true... So there !.

On Stanley... On to greater things .

cashman 24-03-2019 09:51

[QUOTE=Chrisr;1225962]
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1225734)

The best contribution we all could make is to renew our season tickets. I have.

me also.

Twenty Eight 24-03-2019 10:01

[QUOTE=cashman;1225961]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1225957)
Thats gotta be the stupidest post ever.:rolleyes:

See what I mean Cashy ?
If you don't agree ............ f@@@ off.
A great way of retaining new fans.
What an insult.

cashman 24-03-2019 10:10

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1225966]
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1225961)

See what I mean Cashy ?
If you don't agree ............ f@@@ off.
A great way of retaining new fans.
What an insult.

Exactly what i thought still theres clowns everywhere.

Div3North 28-03-2019 14:21

[QUOTE=cashman;1225967]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1225966)
Exactly what i thought still theres clowns everywhere.

No, no, no Cashy

"Clowns to the left of us,

JOKERS to the right ......................"

:alright::alright::alright:

Revived Red 29-03-2019 10:28

[QUOTE=Div3North;1226137]
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1225967)

No, no, no Cashy

"Clowns to the left of us,

JOKERS to the right ......................"

:alright::alright::alright:

This is no place to be discussing Brexit. :D