Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Pre-season (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/pre-season-70578.html)

AccyMad 11-05-2019 21:24

Re: Pre-season

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1228106)
Away will always be a "smaller" team if away, hopefully a few local ones at the weekend.

I enjoyed Staleybridge after not playing them for years, maybe Chorley and Fylde, Fleetwood and Lancaster would be worth visiting again.

Would love to hear Joey Barton's reaction to you calling Fleetwood a smaller team :D (not that I disagree)

Chimer 11-05-2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1228249)
So, it's Salford who are being promoted to the league - as Sky Sports have just said 'for the first time in their history' - wrong, they don't have a history, just some ex-United footballers who were bored & decided to bank roll them into the league - just glad we're not still in league 2 so we don't have to play these pretenders

Disagree completely Di :-), I think it’s brilliant that a bunch of (mostly) Lancs lads who’ve done well out of footy should put their money into a local club. I’ll be perfectly happy if they take over from Etihad City or Glazer Utd as Manchester’s top club in the next few years.

Lord Stiffupperlip 11-05-2019 22:48

Salford City's goals scored by Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Carl Piergianni and Ibou Touray.
Three good old local Lancashire names there then. :rolleyes:

monkey hanger 12-05-2019 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1228249)
So, it's Salford who are being promoted to the league - as Sky Sports have just said 'for the first time in their history' - wrong, they don't have a history, just some ex-United footballers who were bored & decided to bank roll them into the league - just glad we're not still in league 2 so we don't have to play these pretenders

only game i,ve ever wanted both sides to loose.

AccyMad 12-05-2019 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1228251)
Disagree completely Di :-), I think it’s brilliant that a bunch of (mostly) Lancs lads who’ve done well out of footy should put their money into a local club. I’ll be perfectly happy if they take over from Etihad City or Glazer Utd as Manchester’s top club in the next few years.

Not forgetting that other local lad Peter Lim who owns the majority of shares? :rolleyes::):)

Spartacus2nd 12-05-2019 12:55

I hope Salford go bust. The only good thing about them getting into the league is they can now double or triple their multi million pound losses.

In VERY recent history they enjoyed crowds of less than 200, and have since then massively inflated wages and transfer fees throughout non league (Fylde as well).

Whilst I see the notion of footballers putting back in as a noble one, it IS wrong to falsely inflate a club's standing in the game

Chimer 12-05-2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1228255)
Not forgetting that other local lad Peter Lim who owns the majority of shares? :rolleyes::):)

40%. So what?

Lord Stiffupperlip 12-05-2019 14:46

OK. So Salford have gatecrashed the EFL purely through foreign investment & ex-premier league players with money to burn.
How is this sustainable????
No one in Manchester, apart from the immediate locals, are going to switch allegiance from the big two.
Their gates will remain static once the honeymoon period is over.
Investors will quickly realise they've put their money into a bottomless pit.

Outback Ozzy 12-05-2019 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 1228205)
How about AFC Fylde and/or Salford City (one of them is bound to be League 2 next season)

Goodness me, I think I may have inadvertantly stirred up the proverbial hornets nest! So to be less controversial, congratulations to Chorley FC on winning promotion to the National League and how about a pre-season game with them

monkey hanger 13-05-2019 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1228264)
Investors will quickly realise they've put their money into a bottomless pit.

they must have realised this at the outset. its just a hobby/vanity project to them and while their back pockets allow it i,m sure it will continue. just the same as we have hobbies that cost us money without any financial return or profit.

Chimer 13-05-2019 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1228259)
I hope Salford go bust. The only good thing about them getting into the league is they can now double or triple their multi million pound losses.

In VERY recent history they enjoyed crowds of less than 200, and have since then massively inflated wages and transfer fees throughout non league (Fylde as well).

Whilst I see the notion of footballers putting back in as a noble one, it IS wrong to falsely inflate a club's standing in the game

But surely our standing has equally been "inflated" through the money put in over the years by Eric Whalley, Ilyas Khan and now Andy Holt? Without their investment we would still be in the lower reaches of non-league (or in one case out of business). Obviously the figures don't compare with some other clubs, but to, say, a Clitheroe fan we are the local barons …… football in the National League and EFL (and sometimes even inside the Prem, a la Chelski) is largely a rich man's hobby. Some do it as an ego trip, some genuinely to put something back into the community. And if they're rich enough (and get lucky enough), they can sometimes even dent the rule that only teams from Manchester, Liverpool and London are allowed to win anything.

And if Ian Dunbavin had persuaded Stevie Gerrard and a few of his rich mates from LFC to do a "Class of 92" on the Stanley, does anyone really think we wouldn't be loving it? Salford get put down mainly due to the "anybody but MUFC" syndrome ….

Twenty Eight 13-05-2019 15:29

So Andy Holt wins the lottery next week and says there you go boys I’m putting £5 mill in.
What you going to do ?
Tell him to shove it ??
I don’t think so.

accybeme 13-05-2019 16:40

what a load of bull!!! no club has ever got anywhere without investment

Twenty Eight 13-05-2019 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1228259)

So that means 80% of football clubs have falsely inflated their standing in the game.
So what ?
Get with the programme it’s the way football is.

Lord Stiffupperlip 13-05-2019 20:12

Trying to compare Stanley's long hard struggle to achieve league status with the meteoric rise of Salford is quite frankly laughable.
Our years of surviving on bootstrap budgets, low gates & near bankruptcy - on more than one occasion, makes our success all the more incredible.
Yes of course, football today is all about money & we owe Mr Holt a debt of gratitude for guiding our club from insolvency to profit.
Only 4 years ago, Salford were languishing in the NPL DIv.1.
Is their rise down to finding rejects, freebies & loanees & polishing them into a formidable force on a non-league budget?
Or is it purely down to the financial input of the Class of 92 & major foreign investor, enabling them to employ a professional ex-International manager & a team of highly paid 'league standard' players.
Where money is no problem, anything is possible. Salford could well reach the Premier League if the wealthy investors are prepared to pay the price.
It would appear there are some on here who would be happy if Stanley were touted to some Russian Oligarch, able to 'buy' success.
That is the day I would stop supporting the club I love.
If you're with the money men, go & support Man City, Utd or Liverpool.
There's a big difference between Stanley & Salford.
Salford belongs to several wealthy people. Stanley, as Mr Holt has said - 'belongs to our fans'