Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Wycombe away thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/wycombe-away-thread-71829.html)

andyd 07-08-2021 13:06

Wycombe away thread

Your line up today,
Trafford.
Sykes. Nottingham. Burgess.
O, Sullivan. McConville. Pell. Butcher. Pritchard.
Bishop. Charles.
Subs:-. Savin. Rodgers. Perritt. Leigh. Mumbango. Morgan. Nolan.

VALAIRIAN 07-08-2021 13:10

Re: Wycombe away thread

Not a bad line up for the game today, though I have to say, I really do hate playing teams at the bottom of the table, who have yet to win a game ;)

Always has been our achilles... :D

:) :) :)

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-08-2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1255878)
Not a bad line up for the game today, though I have to say, I really do hate playing teams at the bottom of the table, who have yet to win a game ;)
Always has been our achilles... :D:) :) :)

On the other hand, mustn't complain, we're already in 2nd place automatic promotion spot :D

Watchdog 07-08-2021 14:11

Oh no...1-0 down

andyd 07-08-2021 14:12

Against the run of play sounds like Nottingham mistake in possession.

choirboy 07-08-2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchdog (Post 1255882)
Oh no...1-0 down

Is it going to be a long season?………..:eek:
Two Nil!
OMG ….It’s getting longer already!…..

Watchdog 07-08-2021 14:16

Excellent contribution on ifollow commentary from Seamus Conneely

Watchdog 07-08-2021 14:17

Another goal - 2-0 down

andyd 07-08-2021 14:17

2-0 down excellent strike by all accounts.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:18

Getting caught wide by all accounts problem with playing attack minded wing backs.

Div3North 07-08-2021 14:22

We’re currently bottom of League One

Altogether .... “things, can only get better ...... “

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

AccyMad 07-08-2021 14:24

Feeling sorry for our young keeper but maybe Toby would've been a wiser choice for the first game . . . .

choirboy 07-08-2021 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255888)
Getting caught wide by all accounts problem with playing attack minded wing backs.

IMHO. The problem is playing three at the back!:confused:

andyd 07-08-2021 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1255890)
Feeling sorry for our young keeper but maybe Toby would've been a wiser choice for the first game . . . .

Don't think he's done much wrong.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1255891)

I think we might be stuck with it but for me especially away from home one wing back at least should be more defensive minded.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:32

Doesn't really matter now as we have to chase the game.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:39

Sounds like we just missed an open goal. Pritchard.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:40

Yellow card Sykes free kick in a dangerous position.

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-08-2021 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1255891)

According to the BBC Sports app, we're playing 5-3-2?

cashman 07-08-2021 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Div3North (Post 1255889)
We’re currently bottom of League One

Altogether .... “things, can only get better ...... “

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

next to bottom now.:D

Watchdog 07-08-2021 14:46

Listening to the commentary i don't think we have played as bad as the score line suggests. Seems like we should have earned a penalty in the first 10 minutes and then Pritchard missed an excellent chance. Hopefully onwards and upwards after the HT team talk by John.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1255897)
According to the BBC Sports app, we're playing 5-3-2?

That's three at the back with wing backs, O, Sullivan and McConville.

andyd 07-08-2021 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchdog (Post 1255899)
Listening to the commentary i don't think we have played as bad as the score line suggests. Seems like we should have earned a penalty in the first 10 minutes and then Pritchard missed an excellent chance. Hopefully onwards and upwards after the HT team talk by John.

According to Dan Jewell Bishop has been very quiet upfront maybe time to unleash Mumbongo.

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-08-2021 14:55

We've had 60% possession yet getting mullered.
Meanwhile, the Shrimps are thrashing Ipswich away 1-0
:eek:

Exile on Spencer St 07-08-2021 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255900)
That's three at the back with wing backs, O, Sullivan and McConville.

Just like the Maginot Line then? :rolleyes:

Exile on Spencer St 07-08-2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255901)
According to Dan Jewell Bishop has been very quiet upfront maybe time to unleash Mumbongo.

C’mon, Andyd, you know you’ll have to wait until the 85 minute! ;)

andyd 07-08-2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1255902)
We've had 60% possession yet getting mullered.
Meanwhile, the Shrimps are thrashing Ipswich away 1-0
:eek:

The game hasn't changed take your chances but listening to the game we have had the possession missed a open net and possibly penalty claim, but behind by two goals.

Inspector Morse 07-08-2021 15:02

Maginot Line_ Do you mean solid in the middle but weak on the flanks?

Kiwi John 07-08-2021 15:05

Seems like it was a good idea to miss this game live, but I couldnt sleep (such is my love for our club), so here for second stanza. Hopefully some positive changes to scoreline....and I have no tomatoes to water (yet).

Exile on Spencer St 07-08-2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1255906)
Maginot Line_ Do you mean solid in the middle but weak on the flanks?

Exackerly!

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:23

Was always going to be a difficult game. First because we ALWAYS do well at Wycombe. And secondly, because Wycombe finished last season string and probably feel they should have stayed up......with the Derby fiasco!

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:23

Was always going to be a difficult game. First because we ALWAYS do well at Wycombe. And secondly, because Wycombe finished last season string and probably feel they should have stayed up......with the Derby fiasco!

That should be strong...not string...

andyd 07-08-2021 15:24

The beast is on for them our subs apparently all sat on their hands.

andyd 07-08-2021 15:25

Sorry Rodgers and Mumbongo imminent.

andyd 07-08-2021 15:28

Rodgers on for Sykes and Mumbongo on for O, Sullivan.

AccyMad 07-08-2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255892)
Don't think he's done much wrong.

I wasn't suggesting he had, but it's a bit of a baptism of fire

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:38

A goal scored would nice!.......are we missing Seamus?.......anyone know how Pell is playing?....Hate not being able to watch on iFollow....I never thought I'd be saying that...

andyd 07-08-2021 15:38

Sounds like we have been pretty poor this half creative wise being outplayed by a very experienced Wycombe side.

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:40

iFollow txt looks like its all Wycombe on the attack?

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255916)
Sounds like we have been pretty poor this half creative wise being outplayed by a very experienced Wycombe side.

Are you listening on the iFollow audio? Any good?

Kiwi John 07-08-2021 15:47

YEAH...theres1 com on u reds

Watchdog 07-08-2021 15:48

Matt Butcher.... hopefully back in the game

andyd 07-08-2021 15:49

Goal bit late but come on Stanley.

andyd 07-08-2021 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1255918)
Are you listening on the iFollow audio? Any good?

Yes not bad costs £2-50 for the privilege.

Watchdog 07-08-2021 15:51

Does anyone else think we miss Hughes at the back. Maybe slow in his later years but i always thought he was excellent at marshalling the back line.

choirboy 07-08-2021 15:51

Come on Stanley!:jimbo:

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:51

Thanks Andyd

andyd 07-08-2021 15:52

Charles just misses set up by Mumbongo who sounds like he's made a difference.

Crown Grounder 07-08-2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchdog (Post 1255923)
Does anyone else think we miss Hughes at the back. Maybe slow in his later years but i always thought he was excellent at marshalling the back line.

That's obvious to me.......but he chose to go for more money......Can't blame the lad.

Kiwi John 07-08-2021 15:53

Yes,based on how i saw him play over here in A league.

Exile on Spencer St 07-08-2021 15:55

Quote:

Hughes booked today and his fellow CB sent off! Seems like he’s bought into the Barton way already! :rolleyes:

And he gave away a late penalty to lose the game!
Should’ve stayed where he was loved.

Kiwi John 07-08-2021 15:59

Bugga

cashman 07-08-2021 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1255929)
Hughes booked today and his fellow CB sent off! Seems like he’s bought into the Barton way already! :rolleyes:

And he gave away a late penalty to lose the game!
Should’ve stayed where he was loved.

aye but he woulda got paid less.:D

andyd 07-08-2021 16:35

Quote:

In the past it's now and the future that counts Coley says a couple of slots left open for players to come in one's possibly a sweeper kind of center half. Made far too many errors in defence last season as Coley often points out in post match interview,s, sounds like nothing has changed because both their goals today according to commentary were errors and avoidable. Against sides like Wycombe who are really good at game management and seeing a game out you pay the price.

StanleyJosh 07-08-2021 21:05

we didn't miss Hughes today.
We missed Conneely.

Couldn't string a pass together (even before Rodgers came on) - big call putting Trafford in, Baxter had to earn it last season. Thought Pell and O'Sullivan were poor.
Hate playing wing backs and 3 centre halfs.
I also don't have 4 promotions to my name so to be honest i'd rather trust Coley.
Hope we sign a left back and a striker with experience in mens football.

andyd 07-08-2021 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1255936)
we didn't miss Hughes today.
We missed Conneely.

Couldn't string a pass together (even before Rodgers came on) - big call putting Trafford in, Baxter had to earn it last season. Thought Pell and O'Sullivan were poor.
Hate playing wing backs and 3 centre halfs.
I also don't have 4 promotions to my name so to be honest i'd rather trust Coley.
Hope we sign a left back and a striker with experience in mens football.

For some unfathomable reason we have struggled to nail down a decent left back experienced strikers we,d all like one of those we need plenty of pennies we haven't got for one. Same problems has last season though are as I said earlier even though it's only the first game conceding goals through bad defending, Coley said it needs ironing out said the same all last season it costs us points, solve it and we are a good side if we had last season we would be in the championship fine margins in football Conneelly probably would have put some experience Infront of the defence wether he,s the cure to the recurring problem probably not it's a team game defending starts at the front.

StanleyJosh 07-08-2021 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255937)
For some unfathomable reason we have struggled to nail down a decent left back experienced strikers we,d all like one of those we need plenty of pennies we haven't got for one. Same problems has last season though are as I said earlier even though it's only the first game conceding goals through bad defending, Coley said it needs ironing out said the same all last season it costs us points, solve it and we are a good side if we had last season we would be in the championship fine margins in football Conneelly probably would have put some experience Infront of the defence wether he,s the cure to the recurring problem probably not it's a team game defending starts at the front.

difference with Colby and Dion is they had experience playing mens football when we signed them. Mumbongo and the other 2 youngsters dont. I'd take a lower league striker than a prem loan.

Silly mistakes cost us today, a lack of energy and desire. everyone on different wavelengths and no one picking up the second ball.

No coincidence by now we play worse when Seamus doesn't play.

andyd 08-08-2021 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1255938)
difference with Colby and Dion is they had experience playing mens football when we signed them. Mumbongo and the other 2 youngsters dont. I'd take a lower league striker than a prem loan.

Silly mistakes cost us today, a lack of energy and desire. everyone on different wavelengths and no one picking up the second ball.

No coincidence by now we play worse when Seamus doesn't play.

A decent lower league striker is probably contracted to a club free agents mean usually they ain't very good, so even a striker from the lower league,s will be on better money and no guarantees if we could afford the said player is he going to be a success, listening to the full match commentary which by the way had Seamus alongside Dan said at times has did Coley we played some good stuff so they must have strung some passes together. Pritchard missed an open net, Charles good chance screwed it wide their striker it a beauty that went in fine margins.

cashman 08-08-2021 07:51

for me we didnt play badly we missed our chances the possesion shows that for me,

StanleyJosh 08-08-2021 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255944)
A decent lower league striker is probably contracted to a club free agents mean usually they ain't very good, so even a striker from the lower league,s will be on better money and no guarantees if we could afford the said player is he going to be a success, listening to the full match commentary which by the way had Seamus alongside Dan said at times has did Coley we played some good stuff so they must have strung some passes together. Pritchard missed an open net, Charles good chance screwed it wide their striker it a beauty that went in fine margins.

majority of strikers from lower leagues won't be on better money.

my point is we have had more success from signing those type of players (Bishop/Charles,Jackson etc) than players on loan from higher up (Hall,Charman,Cassidy,Baker-Richardson etc etc)

we showed glimpses of some neat one touch football and had some good link up play but that counts for nothing when you don't have a shot on goal.

possession stats don't tell the whole story, Wycombe 2-0 up and looked comfortable letting us having the ball 20 yards from our own goal. At one point we went Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes, Nottingham, Sykes, Trafford, Sykes, Butcher, Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes. At 2-0 down.

monkey hanger 08-08-2021 09:09

always think too much emphasis is based on the first game of the season no matter what the result is. i never say anything till at least 6 league games have been played to how good or bad the team and players are. a point would have been a good result yesterday no matter when the game was played. the defeat will have little relevence come may.

andyd 08-08-2021 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1255946)
majority of strikers from lower leagues won't be on better money.

my point is we have had more success from signing those type of players (Bishop/Charles,Jackson etc) than players on loan from higher up (Hall,Charman,Cassidy,Baker-Richardson etc etc)

we showed glimpses of some neat one touch football and had some good link up play but that counts for nothing when you don't have a shot on goal.

possession stats don't tell the whole story, Wycombe 2-0 up and looked comfortable letting us having the ball 20 yards from our own goal. At one point we went Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes, Nottingham, Sykes, Trafford, Sykes, Butcher, Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes. At 2-0 down.

So we are back to what was first said errors in defence leads to 2-0 for a side like Wycombe who are excellent at seeing a game out it puts you in a position of trying to get back in a game leaving you vunerable to counter attacks. One plus is we managed to pull a goal back against a team that will probably be up there, score 15 minutes earlier and you're in with a chance. Cut the defencive lapses out and we are a good side especially going forward as Monkey Hanger says let's see were we are after half a dozen games. As for wages you would be surprised what some clubs at this level pay for striker,s but I do agree loaners aren't as good usually as your own player. Strong rumours going around about Cole Stockton Morecambe getting snapped up before the window closes but would we have him don't know but never particularly shone when I have seen him play.

Phil Whalley 08-08-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1255938)
Silly mistakes cost us today... everyone on different wavelengths and no one picking up the second ball.

This sums it up best for me, just a general lack of coherence, though not for want of trying. There's no point in having McConville and O'Sullivan on the pitch if they can barely get into the opposition's half.

Wycombe supporters I talked to were very confident about the season ahead, they finished strongly last season and have more or less kept the squad together. They looked decent to me, so yesterday's performance and result has to be put into this perspective.

andyd 08-08-2021 13:12

Just finally had chance to watch the highlights both goals shocking defending by Nottingham and Sykes for both goals can't knock the keeper Trafford for either, also mentioned in the commentry which I have checked we had the worst defensive record away from home in League 1 last season with Hughes and Conneelly in a lot of those. That kind of defending to me has nothing to do with possession stats or midfield losing possession it was basics not carried out, lack of concentration or communication but it cost us the game. Cut that out and we will compete, continue and we will face an uphill task.

VALAIRIAN 08-08-2021 13:57

Taking onboard the fact that I am a huge fan of King Coley, from what I saw on iFollow last season, for me the back 3/5 is the problem.

When it works, it works well, but it appears to leave us open - it might be the players and not the system???

Also, agree completely AndyD, the goals were shocking!!!!

We had chances to win yesterday, players not playing and leaving are part and parcel of the game and not relevant!!

VALAIRIAN 08-08-2021 13:58

It will be interesting to look back at this thread at the end of the season ;)

StanleyJosh 08-08-2021 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255963)
I have checked we had the worst defensive record away from home in League 1 last season.

Think you might want to check that again.

And if we really want to look at pointless stats, we conceded 1.47 goals away from home per game in the league last season with Seamus in the side.
We conceded 3.5 goals per game without him.

andyd 08-08-2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1255968)
Think you might want to check that again.

And if we really want to look at pointless stats, we conceded 1.47 goals away from home per game in the league last season with Seamus in the side.
We conceded 3.5 goals per game without him.

Actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.48 agree stats mean little can't get away from the fact though both goals were shocking defending yesterday, I presume Coley will have them watching the rerun at training tomorrow. First goal long hopeful punt from Jacobson going nowhere there first really meaningful foray into our half completely missed by our two goal, second again going nowhere pass back hopeful punt in the air going nowhere three defenders all ball watching Sykes vainly waving his arm up for an offside great finish. Doesn't matter about who was were in midfield with that going on like I said hopefully things will improve at the back but it's a long season ahead positive thinking.. Apologize for the worst defensive unit away Swindon worse than us they went down. Good job we have forward,s and creative players who will get us goals but tighten up at the back.

StanleyJosh 08-08-2021 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1255970)
actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.48 agree .

Kids, don't believe everything you see online or on the news.
Actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.82. (not that it really matters, just highlighting)

Revived Red 08-08-2021 22:12

Stanley Josh and Phil Whalley have got it right. Wycombe were stronger, quicker and more organised. We may have topped the possession stats - but a lot of that possession was sideways across the back.

Wycombe had 3 outstanding defenders in Jack Grimmer, Joe Jacobson and Anthony Stewart. Having said that, Jacobson and Grimmer could hardly have had easier games. Garath McCleary was a constant threat - he could well have had a hat-trick had he played the full game.

I am not going to name names, but some of the Stanley passing was woeful.

andyd 08-08-2021 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 1255995)
Stanley Josh and Phil Whalley have got it right. Wycombe were stronger, quicker and more organised. We may have topped the possession stats - but a lot of that possession was sideways across the back.

Wycombe had 3 outstanding defenders in Jack Grimmer, Joe Jacobson and Anthony Stewart. Having said that, Jacobson and Grimmer could hardly have had easier games. Garath McCleary was a constant threat - he could well have had a hat-trick had he played the full game.

I am not going to name names, but some of the Stanley passing was woeful.

And the defending.

monkey hanger 09-08-2021 08:19

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1255964]Taking onboard the fact that I am a huge fan of King Coley, from what I saw on iFollow last season, for me the back 3/5 is the problem.

When it works, it works well, but it appears to leave us open - it might be the players and not the system???

Also, agree completely AndyD, the goals were shocking!!!!

We had chances to win yesterday, players not playing and leaving are part and parcel of the game and not relevant!!

might say just the same if we watched another team week in week out. we only watched stanley live stream last season and only saw our opponents twice. do not think there will be too much a difference between all the sides in div.1. its just some will have the odd better player and better organised slightly than others.

andyd 09-08-2021 08:46

When you play three at the back you need three players who are when on the ball confident and find a good short pass to a fellow team mate, personally I think Ross isn't that type of player he likes to go long. Also in a back three your flanks are exposed to the long ball as Peterborough showed when they thrashed us quick balls into the corner flag and fast mobile players on the end of it gives you nightmares. Having said that it wasn't the case against Wycombe which is more worrying they were aimless punts that should have been routinely dealt with.

Twenty Eight 09-08-2021 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Whalley (Post 1255961)
This sums it up best for me, just a general lack of coherence, though not for want of trying. There's no point in having McConville and O'Sullivan on the pitch if they can barely get into the opposition's half.

Wycombe supporters I talked to were very confident about the season ahead, they finished strongly last season and have more or less kept the squad together. They looked decent to me, so yesterday's performance and result has to be put into this perspective.

They haven't mate. They lost / moved on 6 good players from last season.
Allsop, Charles, Onyedinma Pattison, Ikpeazu, Adeniran.
They have made astute replacement signings.

VALAIRIAN 09-08-2021 10:51

Just listened to Coley this morning and he still talking about poor defending - as a team... he is not wrong :(

andyd 09-08-2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1256015)
Just listened to Coley this morning and he still talking about poor defending - as a team... he is not wrong :(

He mentions the best players in the world making mistakes of course they do but not consistently that's the difference, what happens on a training pitch and the game you try and work on but as a player once over that touchline on match day it's. down to the individual.

monkey hanger 10-08-2021 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1256018)
He mentions the best players in the world making mistakes of course they do but not consistently that's the difference, what happens on a training pitch and the game you try and work on but as a player once over that touchline on match day it's. down to the individual.

exactly, players make mistakes. same as strikers miss open goals. the point is not the mistakes but the number of them that are made through the season. if they become a regular thing the players need replacing by others to get their acts together.