Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Wigan Athletic home match thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/wigan-athletic-home-match-thread-72022.html)

andyd 17-09-2021 13:15

Wigan Athletic home match thread

Posting early this week talking or debating points will Seamus be risked for the 18 after just 2 X 45 minutes with the under 23,s, personally I hope he isn't pushed to soon before we are playing twice a week again my guess at tomorrow,s line up is :-
Trafford.
Savin. Nottingham. Sherring.
Clark. Butcher. Morgan. Hamilton. McConville.
Charles. Bishop.
Subs:- Savin. Perritt. Amankwah. Leigh. Coyle. Malcolm. Nolan.

andyd 17-09-2021 13:27

Re: Wigan Athletic home match thread

For anyone reading the above might say why young Coyle in my guess on the lineup is just because Coley took the time to say he was excellent in the reserves game against Bolton so I am just having a stab in the dark.

cashman 17-09-2021 14:41

Savins playing and a sub andy. must be very versatile. lol

andyd 17-09-2021 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257685)
Savins playing and a sub andy. must be very versatile. lol

Well spotted Cashy it's this predictive text it catches you out should of course read Sykes in defence.

cashman 17-09-2021 15:17

never use it these days made too many cock ups lol

andyd 17-09-2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257687)

Especially when using that word Cashy 😁😂🤣, hope we give it a real go tomorrow would like an unbeaten Wham fortress season this time and give promotion a real go👍

VALAIRIAN 17-09-2021 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1257682)
Posting early this week talking or debating points will Seamus be risked for the 18 after just 2 X 45 minutes with the under 23,s, personally I hope he isn't pushed to soon before we are playing twice a week again my guess at tomorrow,s line up is :-
Trafford.
Sykes. Nottingham. Sherring.
Clark. Butcher. Morgan. Hamilton. McConville(C).
Charles. Bishop.
Subs:- Savin. Perritt. Amankwah. Leigh. Coyle. Malcolm. Nolan.

About the right XI Andy - with the injuries we have.

I would like to see enough of Malcolm, Leigh and Amankwah, before the 93rd minute!

:) :) :)

monkey hanger 18-09-2021 08:43

one thing is once stanley get everyone back our bench will be the strongest ever. if its used as it should be i,d be worried if i was an opposition fan.

monkey hanger 18-09-2021 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257687)

Talking about cock ups we have andy haines in the middle again today.

andyd 18-09-2021 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1257705)
Talking about cock ups we have andy haines in the middle again today.

Nooooo 💰🆘

McKayz 18-09-2021 13:13

It’s our first game in forever! Super excited!

Div3North 18-09-2021 13:33

No Dion in the 18? Anyone know why?

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 14:01

Hello good people.

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 14:09

&*%&^$#&*&#&^%$^%(*%$&^$(*!! :(

Div3North 18-09-2021 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1257718)
&*%&^$#&*&#&^%$^%(*%$&^$(*!! :(

What he said ......! :eek:

:theband::theband::theband:

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 14:19

*(^&*^#$&^*&*$#*$(*(&)&(*&^&w^%*%*^!! :( :(

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 14:30

Clearly the referees' a cock...

McKayz 18-09-2021 14:36

🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️🤦*♀️

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 15:12

At last -Hope springs eternal. Thanks Mr Nottingham

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 15:16

Awww. F*** !i&&_*&(_&*&^$^%$%##$@%^&*^$(&*)(

AccyMad 18-09-2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1257721)
Clearly the referees' a cock...

He actually is :mad:

AccyMad 18-09-2021 15:35

Question has to be - where's Dion

McKayz 18-09-2021 15:36

There’s something interesting going on outside the stadium apparently

McKayz 18-09-2021 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1257726)
Question has to be - where's Dion

Must be injured surely

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 15:53

1-4...it just keeps getting better :(

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKayz (Post 1257727)

,,,any ideas?

Kiwi John 18-09-2021 15:56

...Stanley fans hanging themselves perhaps??

McKayz 18-09-2021 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1257730)
,,,any ideas?

Think it was a fight. Should’ve gone for a look, would’ve missed the last goal.

cashman 18-09-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKayz (Post 1257728)
Must be injured surely

hes not injured and i hope he never plays for us again.

andyd 18-09-2021 16:25

1-4 could have been 6 or more excellent spectacle apart from losing, points 1 taught a footballing lesson,2 they were well organized shouting and screaming at one another those on here who don't think Harry Pell is Captain material we certainly missed his presence and his voice McConville playing in his distinctively non effective wing back role was apart from playing for fouls was as verbal as a mouse, 3 half time substitution,s Amankwah should have started at wing back allowing McConville to play in his favoured more effective role,4 chasing a game against such classy opponents miss your chances you pay the price. Are we a top six side probably not top half most definitely.

McKayz 18-09-2021 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257733)

I’ve just seen that Coleman has said he’s not injured and that he must commit to train and play. I hate players like that, if you want to leave fine but until you sign a contract for a new team then give 100% to your current club.

andyd 18-09-2021 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257733)

Probably won't if the rumour mill is right.

cashman 18-09-2021 16:41

thought we were better second half the 2 subs i thought helped, also thought sean had a stinker and would have swapped him at half time also.

cashman 18-09-2021 16:45

Nottinham for me was superb hope he got MOM.

andyd 18-09-2021 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257737)
thought we were better second half the 2 subs i thought helped, also thought sean had a stinker and would have swapped him at half time also.

Totally inadequate at wing back better when he moved inside, hope Coley learned something today from a football lesson dealt out.

andyd 18-09-2021 17:38

Well done John magnanimous in defeat today a interview where he was spot on we were well beaten, apparently a Scottish club came in at the death with a paltry offer for Dion and if he,s thrown his toys out the pram don't play him John,s right he has been bang average this season might bring some sense of reality back and get him performing.

Chewbacca 18-09-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKayz (Post 1257727)

The trouble makers were in cuffs in front of the Crown, one had hit Steward clean in the face in the Clayton End the police man was saying on the radio.

It was going on for 15 minutes behind the goal in the middle of the 2nd half.

andyd 18-09-2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1257741)
The trouble makers were in cuffs in front of the Crown, one had hit Steward clean in the face in the Clayton End the police man was saying on the radio.

It was going on for 15 minutes behind the goal in the middle of the 2nd half.

Were they so called Wigan fans or trouble makers from Accrington area because today what I witnessed was very well behaved Wigan fans and after the game I walked up Whalley road in the company of a young chap hurrying for the train very polite and obviously pleased with his side's win but also was interested in my long interest in Stanley then like they do he ran to catch up with his mates leaving a codger like me behind thinking what a polite young gentleman.

andyd 18-09-2021 18:45

Mention for the tannoy,s and music today I introduced myself to Josh before the game and I have voiced some constructive criticism of volume and music choice on here but credit to Josh and I let him know the volume was spot on and the music selection wasn't bad although we both agreed you can't please everyone all of the time, well done Josh pleased to have finally met you and hope you continue with the great work in your capacity as stadium announcer.

Exile on Spencer St 18-09-2021 19:26

Leam gave Coley a real lesson today. Wigan were the best side I’ve seen thus far and could have had more. Stronger, fitter, quicker, more eager, and well drilled. Always looking and able to make runs into the space behind Stanley’s defence.
Other than the brief period after Stanley got one back, in comparison to Wigan Stanley appeared slow and very predictable.
Notts and Morgan were the only two in red who stood out for me today.
However bad he was, can’t blame the ref for this one.

yonmon 18-09-2021 19:30

I think that today we saw in the shape of Wigan Athletic one of the two teams who will gain automatic promotion to the Championship at the end of the season !.
I also agree with JC's after-match comments that the Reds were inferior to them on the day .. he did cite the 'moneybags' element dictating this, which is probably not too far from the truth !.
Michael Nottingham was truly outstanding once again.. the Captain, as Cashy has indicated most certainly wasn't!. The midfield were unable to produce any threat due to the constant need to defend.. Our strikers didn't strike again !.
But we won't meet a team as good as our opponents every week that's for sure.. which should be of some little consolation to us all !.

ON STANLEY !.. ON TO GREATER THINGS !.. :alright:

andyd 18-09-2021 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1257745)
Leam gave Coley a real lesson today. Wigan were the best side I’ve seen thus far and could have had more. Stronger, fitter, quicker, more eager, and well drilled. Always looking and able to make runs into the space behind Stanley’s defence.
Other than the brief period after Stanley got one back, in comparison to Wigan Stanley appeared slow and very predictable.
Notts and Morgan were the only two in red who stood out for me today.
However bad he was, can’t blame the ref for this one.

I agree exile about Morgan and Nottingham but apart from one misplaced pass thought Amankwah from City played well kept the unstoppable Lang in the first half quiet and looks comfortable on the ball hope he gets a run in the side because both him and Clark look comfortable in the wing back role play McConville were he,s most effective behind the front two.

Lord Stiffupperlip 18-09-2021 19:46

Anyone with pretensions that our current squad are promotion candidates should have been at the Wham today.
Stanley's shortcomings were cruelly exposed by a Wigan team that are undoubtedly heading for higher things.
Wigan were simply superb. Better organised, quicker & more skilful, they could have easily been 4-0 up by half time.
After the riot-act was read at half time, Stanley upped their work rate and clawed one back on 53 minutes, thanks to Michael Nottingham - It says everything about our toothless strikers when our leading goalscorer is a full-back!
The 'Sheriff's' piledriver apart, we huffed & puffed to little effect & within 5 minutes Wigan had scored again.
Just to rub salt in the wound, they delivered the coup-de-grace to put us out of our misery in the dying seconds of extra-time.
Some will moan about missing players or the wrong formation. The truth is that, with very few exceptions, we were poor all over the field.
We were outplayed, out-thought & had no answer to Wigan's dominant game-plan.
On todays performance, mid-table obscurity looks ambitious.

Chewbacca 18-09-2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1257742)
Were they so called Wigan fans or trouble makers from Accrington area because today what I witnessed was very well behaved Wigan fans and after the game I walked up Whalley road in the company of a young chap hurrying for the train very polite and obviously pleased with his side's win but also was interested in my long interest in Stanley then like they do he ran to catch up with his mates leaving a codger like me behind thinking what a polite young gentleman.

They were in the middle of the clayton end, someone closer will have a better idea of what went on.

andyd 18-09-2021 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1257748)
Anyone with pretensions that our current squad are promotion candidates should have been at the Wham today.
Stanley's shortcomings were cruelly exposed by a Wigan team that are undoubtedly heading for higher things.
Wigan were simply superb. Better organised, quicker & more skilful, they could have easily been 4-0 up by half time.
After the riot-act was read at half time, Stanley upped their work rate and clawed one back on 53 minutes, thanks to Michael Nottingham - It says everything about our toothless strikers when our leading goalscorer is a full-back!
The 'Sheriff's' piledriver apart, we huffed & puffed to little effect & within 5 minutes Wigan had scored again.
Just to rub salt in the wound, they delivered the coup-de-grace to put us out of our misery in the dying seconds of extra-time.
Some will moan about missing players or the wrong formation. The truth is that, with very few exceptions, we were poor all over the field.
We were outplayed, out-thought & had no answer to Wigan's dominant game-plan.
On todays performance, mid-table obscurity looks ambitious.

I agree with you that we were outplayed today but we aren't that bad a side as you portray Wigan are again throwing money at it and although it doesn't guarantee success I think they have in Leam Richardson possibly one of the brightest young managers in the football league,I certainly think Paul Cook is missing him as assistant to him at Ipswich apparently he really wanted him alongside him again. They were possibly so early in a season one of the best standout fluent teams and also a joy to watch I have seen in years watching the lads. Stanley were well beat the fourth goal a bit harsh at the death, we will hopefully learn from that and personally still think especially if we start scoring be a top 10 team, starting with 3 points next Saturday at Morecambe.

andyd 19-09-2021 07:28

Reading the Wigan,s fans forum this morning all saying the best away day experience they have ever had regardless of the win also a few saying we weren't that bad it was just they were brilliant on the day and everything clicked. Also one comment,s not many teams will fancy it here on a wet Tuesday evening well said. PS :- thought Wigan supporters contributed to a marvelous atmosphere.

cashman 19-09-2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1257750)
I agree with you that we were outplayed today but we aren't that bad a side as you portray Wigan are again throwing money at it and although it doesn't guarantee success I think they have in Leam Richardson possibly one of the brightest young managers in the football league,I certainly think Paul Cook is missing him as assistant to him at Ipswich apparently he really wanted him alongside him again. They were possibly so early in a season one of the best standout fluent teams and also a joy to watch I have seen in years watching the lads. Stanley were well beat the fourth goal a bit harsh at the death, we will hopefully learn from that and personally still think especially if we start scoring be a top 10 team, starting with 3 points next Saturday at Morecambe.

To be honest andy i thought it could have been 1-6 quite easy, but not complaining, wigan were superb and we were not at the races yesterday.

Inspector Morse 19-09-2021 10:25

I think I would feel happier if we won and Wigan said our ground and club were tinpot.

I know it's not a binary choice I'm just feeling bitter.

I sense from Coley's interview it's going to be a hard one this year but then again we're Accy Stanley in League One. It should be bloody hard.

cashman 19-09-2021 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1257755)
I think I would feel happier if we won and Wigan said our ground and club were tinpot.

I sense from Coley's interview it's going to be a hard one this year but then again we're Accy Stanley in League One. It should be bloody hard.

i aint bitter at all, disappointed a bit but cant complain.

andyd 19-09-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1257755)

Just imagine how hard it would be in the Championship because believe you me that Wigan side had Championship written all over it.

football19 19-09-2021 17:03

Different slant on events!!!
Was with all my Wigan mates before game and they couldn’t believe the community spirit generated by Acci,was bordering on jealousy,first class beer and pies !!
They even had a good chat with Andy Holt!
I chose to stand with the Acci lads for the game and were a credit to the club,never stopped singing despite what was happening on the pitch.
From the first minute I thought Acci may regret preparing a playing surface fit for the premier league and so it panned out.
It suits better players and Wigan took advantage,moving the ball fast and one/two touch.
Thought Morgan never give up and Colby had no luck,but Acci caught Wigan on a good day,

Exile on Spencer St 19-09-2021 19:25

Nice to read that post, F19.
We were only marvelling at the state of the pitch before kick off. It indeed looked like Whambley!
Some of the old pictures of Jimmy Greaves on the web today reveal just how playing surfaces have changed.
Recall the pitch then was our twelfth man against Fulham but I’d rather see it like it is now, so well done to past and present groundstaff!

Exile on Spencer St 20-09-2021 12:07

1 Attachment(s)
Like this picture from the Fishy gallery.
Was the Wigan defender thinking “Whoa, let that man go, he means business”.

VALAIRIAN 20-09-2021 12:54

Having just watched the goals/highlights on F.L. show, it just confirmed what I thought on the day, Wigan were very, very good and their interplay was fantastic :)

Coley was spot on in his post match, we must remember who we are and results like this will happen, against teams like Wigan, when it happens against Barrow, we start to worry ;)

:) :) :)

football19 20-09-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1257775)
Nice to read that post, F19.
We were only marvelling at the state of the pitch before kick off. It indeed looked like Whambley!
Some of the old pictures of Jimmy Greaves on the web today reveal just how playing surfaces have changed.
Recall the pitch then was our twelfth man against Fulham but I’d rather see it like it is now, so well done to past and present groundstaff!

Agree Exile,year on year the playing surface gets better which promotes better quality football.

The Red Darreners 20-09-2021 13:46

Really nice to read all the sanguine comments on here about Saturday's game; from where we were sat, Wigan were indeed superb - I suspect the most complete performance by any away team I have seen since we started coming in 2009. Fans seemed to be first class, atmosphere was brilliant - nor do I think our lads disgraced themselves - sometimes it's just a case of doffing caps in the right direction the Wigan Latics were just too good on the day.
And on that note: when you consider Messrs Richardson, Beattie, Murphy, Ali were sat on the bench, and even Sarah who used to work in the office at our place and now runs the Football Administration side at Wigan was sat with their directors, one might argue that Wigan's return to excellence has in no little way been "MADE IN ACCRINGTON". And we should surely celebrate that.
And finally from me I'm glad folk are beginning to take more and more notice of Dave Morgan's contribution to the team. I think he's been a fantastic acquisition and he'll only get better. I also think his interview with Dan last week revealed an intelligent, thoughtful character; I wonder if any diplomatic skills he may have developed as the former Sandgrounders' captain might be usefully deployed in improving the current mindset of a certain ex-colleague of his from Haig Avenue...
No pressure - just idle speculation about the potentially helpful skill-set of one of our squad....

Exile on Spencer St 20-09-2021 17:31

Can only hope so, Darrener.
I’d like to think a young player would listen as much to the advice from a level-headed player as much, if not more, than from an agent.

monkey hanger 22-09-2021 08:06

one game win or lose does not define a season. stanley have had bigger defeats at home and its how they re act to it is what matters. remember not too many seasons ago one of them southern sides came up and everything they did came off and won 5-1. annoying but not the end of the football world.