Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   The Pompey at our patch thread. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/the-pompey-at-our-patch-thread-72127.html)

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 12:32

The Pompey at our patch thread.

..Seeing as one hasn't been started and I cant sleep...Bishop to get one if not two today.:)

andyd 23-10-2021 12:53

Re: The Pompey at our patch thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1258750)
..Seeing as one hasn't been started and I cant sleep...Bishop to get one if not two today.:)

Sat in my seat already Kiwi team news at two o,clock update then.

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 13:09

....Hmmmm...no sign of Mrs Mad yet....

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 13:15

Toby Savin

Michael Nottingham

Yeboah Amankwah

Sam Sherring

Seamus Conneely

David Morgan

Sean McConville

Colby Bishop

Ethan Hamilton

Matt Butcher

Harry Pell

andyd 23-10-2021 13:40

Just one change to the bench Savin in for Proctor.

Taypot 23-10-2021 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1258757)
Just one change to the bench Savin in for Proctor.

???

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 13:47

Prob meant Sykes in for Procter

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 14:21

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.*&$&%$#^^&$^^%$*^$(&*^^(

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 14:46

C'mon STANLEY...

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1258752)
....Hmmmm...no sign of Mrs Mad yet....

Probably at the ground KJ, but when she gets home again you'll likely be in for it. :)

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:04

Yes indeed...she might want to smack my botty..

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:08

Think the decision will be hers. ;)

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:09

1-1 Just

update16.12 - Pell scorer

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:11

YESSSS. Mr 'Sir' Pell

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:36

MATTY BUTCHER !!! orgasm time.

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:37

Butcher 2-1 Stanley! :)

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:46

2-2 :o

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1258768)
MATTY BUTCHER !!! orgasm time.

......$#^%$&$*$&&*&...maybe I was a bit premature..

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:50

orgasm & premature in a footy thread KJ, not being a shrink of any description but I think there may be some underlying issues here. :D

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:54

The underlying issue is WE DIDNT WIN.

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 15:55

All over 2-2, lets see what those who where there have to say about todays performance, but giving away the equaliser so near to full time will no doubt raise some lively debate.

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 15:57

..you can bet the ref and a liner were cocks...:)

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 16:01

Goes without saying knowing some of our "Pappenheimers". :D

cashman 23-10-2021 16:22

we shoulda had a definate penalty plus another incident they shoulda had a man sent off. that apart they were the best side i have seen at the Wham this season and a draw was fair enough imho. i cant say what that excuse for a ref was i will get banned,

chevyfire 23-10-2021 16:24

Good game, before the first goal, Pompey clearly better side. The reds slowly started to grow into the game but Portsmouth where standing upto our direct and physical approach. Stanley have gone that way as a style slot more in recent years!
Second half, good goal from a corner to get us back level. The game felt more even despite Pompey still creating chances. We played with more variety second half, getting the ball wider more often.
I think Pompey would have felt robbed not to have got anything from the game, when we took the lead. But I felt for Savin who despite a couple wobbles that made me nervous, made quite a few outstanding saves. I thought notts sheriffed his defence well, having to deal with marquis and Ronan Kemp. No mean feat. Shame we couldn't get the vital 3 points but can't complain.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

andyd 23-10-2021 16:53

Good game Pompey played very well despite their league position, Savin head and shoulders man of the match we played well in patches can't understand Savin not starting if fit and being used as a sub 19 minute,s into the game. The one upfront still seems strange we know Charles will never pull the shirt on again so if the other strikers aren't good enough a must signing in January. Thought they out muscled us in midfield which is a shame because when both Morgan and Conneely won a duel they delivered some sweet passes forward win that battle in there and we will win more than we lose.

DaveinGermany 23-10-2021 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1258777)
i cant say what that excuse for a ref was i will get banned,

There we go KJ our "Pappenheimer" in chief has spoken! :D

Exile on Spencer St 23-10-2021 18:12

Fair result in the end, but much better second half performance from Stanley. First half Pompey were quicker and stronger, closing down (and jumping into) every Stanley player before they could control the ball. However, I expected even a L1 ref to draw the line at trying to strangle a centre forward!
Thought Hamilton was very good today and Sykes made a difference.
At times it was played at the pace of a cup-tie and there were enough nervy moments to keep tranquilliser makers in business.
Despite their late equaliser I felt it was a point won, rather than two lost.

Kiwi John 23-10-2021 18:27

Yep, spotted that. :)

Exile on Spencer St 23-10-2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1258782)
Yep, spotted that. :)

Have you ever thought about being a ref? :rolleyes:

yonmon 23-10-2021 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1258763)
Probably at the ground KJ, but when she gets home again you'll likely be in for it. :)

Chatted with Mrs.M at the ground Dave...curiously enough she didn't mention John at all !
( Losing his charm maybe ?? ) :cool:

AccyMad 23-10-2021 20:12

Only just had the time to read through this thread, to answer various queries

Dave in Germany - correct, I was indeed at the ground at the time Kiwi was wondering why I hadn't posted

Kiwi - No, I'm not cross with you for starting the thread - after all we didn't lose & someone had to do it :)
But as for your other request - not in month of Sundays mate :D

VALAIRIAN 24-10-2021 07:44

A point gained, rather than 2 points lost - in my opinion.

Pompey were the better team in the first half, second half we had a 15 minute spell, were we played well, but Pompey were the better team on the whole - I listened to Coley on the way home and he was of a similar opinion.

I still think we are playing people out of position and playing people for the sake of playing them.

Agree with AndyD about Ross, he should have started, if he could come on so soon.

4 points from 2 games against big teams is a good weeks work :)

:) :) :)

cashman 24-10-2021 08:06

agree with joe, playing people out of position and leaving our best defender on the bench is crazy to me. for what its worth thats why i think we aint any higher in the league.

Inspector Morse 24-10-2021 08:44

RE:Out of position players
I think recruitment for once has let us down this year
Hamilton,Morgan,Seamus,Butcher and Pell all vying for midfield spots and no-one capable on the wings.

Doesn't help that McConville is looking tired but then he is getting on and cant be expected to be the sole creative spark (every game).

NB: While critical of recruitment this post does not provide justification to infer this is a call to sack JC or drop MConville.

Inspector Morse 24-10-2021 08:47

Also with all those midfielders playing I'm not sure how were shipping so many goals.

VALAIRIAN 24-10-2021 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258791)
Hamilton,Morgan,Seamus,Butcher and Pell all vying for midfield spots and no-one capable on the wings.

Doesn't help that McConville is looking tired but then he is getting on and cant be expected to be the sole creative spark (every game).

NB: While critical of recruitment this post does not provide justification to infer this is a call to sack JC or drop MConville.

Hamilton is one of - if not the - most creative players we have, he is very assured with the ball and understands the game well :)

Pell is just an absolute nightmare and must be so hated (in a nice way) by every opposition :)

Both of these new players start every week for me :)

The problem comes after that, not my favorite player, but Seamus do so much 'dirty' work and does gel the team together :)

Sean, also gives more to the team than a lot of people see :)

Morgan is a very much improved player from last season and would feel aggrieved if he were left out :)

Add to that, Butcher, Jono at Pritchard, to name just 3 and you have a nice headache :)

I just wish we had the same headache in defence and attack :(

All that being said, there are loads of teams who would swap with us in a heartbeat :)

Lord Stiffupperlip 24-10-2021 09:41

I bet the happiest people after yesterday's result were on the coach back to Portsmouth.

VALAIRIAN 24-10-2021 10:16

Another point, why have we stopped playing from the keeper, to Notts/Ross and reverted to lumping the ball to Colby????

Think he only won one header yesterday??

I think mixing it up is better personally :)

Exile on Spencer St 24-10-2021 10:43

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1258795]Another point, why have we stopped playing from the keeper, to Notts/Ross and reverted to lumping the ball to Colby????

Maybe because, in the first half especially, Pompey were very quick in closing down any Stanley player with the ball and at one point Toby was nearly caught out and luckily got a goal kick after Marquis (I think) blocked his clearance. The defence rarely had the luxury of space and time.

As to Hamilton, I like him and thought his positioning out wide on the right, almost as if he was a winger ;), allowed him to be one the few players who did get a bit of time and space so he could attack down their flank.

andyd 24-10-2021 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258791)

Did you say McConville looks tired careful what you say I was hung drawn and quartered for suggesting a player last season was tired and gave a penalty away 😁

cashman 24-10-2021 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1258797)
Did you say McConville looks tired careful what you say I was hung drawn and quartered for suggesting a player last season was tired and gave a penalty away 😁

he was very poor yesterday, then put a great cross in for our second goal.

VALAIRIAN 24-10-2021 11:39

Mansell and/or Malcolm should have had a run out yesterday, I feel :)

cashman 24-10-2021 13:14

aye but it would have only been the last 5 mins.:rolleyes:

Inspector Morse 24-10-2021 16:29

Valerian, agree all good players. No problem with them individually.
It's the balance between central and wide midfielders that I think is out.
It doesn't help that our other main creative player Pritchard is out.

choirboy 24-10-2021 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258803)

It seems clear to me that it is the formation of the team which needs a change or two.
I simply prefer to play a back four which allows forward looking full backs to get forward when we are in possession and on the attack. Four across midfield is the norm for me but one of these can be a ‘holding’ deeper player who can be the central fulcrum of passes through midfield. The other central midfield player needs to be the mobile offensive type who can also support the central forwards. The two wide midfield players need to be able to play like wingers. This leaves two centre forwards to play either side by side or one central and the other buzzing around the central man. This type of formation gives a team a solid spine and mobility down the sides of the pitch and some force up front. It also ‘covers’ the pitch zonally leaving few gaps. Of course it depends upon the quality and fitness of the individual players picked in each position. I believe that our squad this season has these players although one of our best is out injured and another has frozen himself out of contention.
As you read my formation description you can probably ‘pick’ the players for these positions as you work through the set up!
Sometimes I think that formations are thought about too much as some kind of science. I believe that it is much simpler than that. The ‘tactics’ that make the difference and win matches are in working out ‘set pieces’ from free kicks and corners but also in management creating the ‘mobile pieces’ during normal play. For example, getting the ball to the opponents goal line and pulling it back towards the penalty spot…..what I call ‘The Golden Position’ on the field. Another factor is being able to adapt the players selected a good example of which occurred on Saturday with our early substitution.
Just some of my thoughts….:hidewall:

choirboy 24-10-2021 21:08

on stanley on

Inspector Morse 24-10-2021 21:27

Out of interest who would your fullbacks be?

choirboy 24-10-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258808)
Out of interest who would your fullbacks be?

If all players were fit, committed and available my set up would be:

Savin
Rogers Sykes Nottingham Amankwah
Hamilton Pell Coneelly Pritchard
Bishop Charles.

Of course anyone can tell me who is not fit to play physically or other!
So read my first line again please.

Inspector Morse 24-10-2021 21:43

I completely forgot about Harvey. Good shout for right back.

I'm not sure about your left back choice tho. He looks more like a centre half to me. Albeit one who cant clear his lines.

No space for Butcher? Takes us back to my initial post re too many players of the same position.

choirboy 24-10-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258810)
I completely forgot about Harvey. Good shout for right back.

I'm not sure about your left back choice tho. He looks more like a centre half to me. Albeit one who cant clear his lines.

No space for Butcher? Takes us back to my initial post re too many players of the same position.

Well, this is why we have a ‘squad’.
To cover injuries and unavailability currently I would select this formation:

Savin
Sherring Sykes Nottingham Amankwah
Hamilton Pell Coneelly McConville
Bishop Mansell

I do agree with you that it is at both full back positions that we are the weakest. I am surprised that Harry Perritt has been allowed to go out on loan at this time.

choirboy 24-10-2021 21:57

Regarding young Amankwah. I do believe that he will be a great centre back. At the moment he is actually still growing both in height and in physical stature. In a couple of years he will be an inch or two taller and have another stone of muscle on him. I would love to see him in a Stanley shirt in two years time! In the same way that Sykes has grown taller and stronger over the last couple of years into the much more mature and physically capable player that he is now.
With three at the back though Sykes gets stretched out into playing more like a right back. IMHO Sykes is a centre back not a pseudo ‘right and centre’ back!

VALAIRIAN 25-10-2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1258803)

Cannot disagree I.M. :)

The problem as I see it, is the 3 at the back, as I do not believe that we have the players to play it - Sean being the prime example :)

VALAIRIAN 25-10-2021 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1258800)
aye but it would have only been the last 5 mins.:rolleyes:

This is the way forwards for us Cashy :)

Hope Coley and Co. have read this :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59018115

:) :)

Twenty Eight 25-10-2021 13:55

When was the last time the club had a recognised reliable left back ?

Exile on Spencer St 25-10-2021 14:36

Joe Jacobson stands out in my memory.

andyd 25-10-2021 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1258818)

Been asked on here countless times since Joe Jacobson left.

choirboy 25-10-2021 16:30

Quote:

Steve Hollis, one of the best left foots ever!:jimbo:

AccyMad 25-10-2021 17:17

Quote:

Craig Linfield? I'll get me coat :hidewall:

andyd 25-10-2021 17:21

Could be the reason for playing 3 at the back we have 9 defenders named in the first team squad 1 of which Stephen Sama seems frozen out so leaves 8 if we reverted back to a back four I think personally Harvey Rodgers has the most experience so he would be my choice any thoughts?

Exile on Spencer St 25-10-2021 17:59

Why is Stephen Sama never seen?
It’s puzzled me for almost as long as he’s been at the club.

andyd 25-10-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1258824)

Me too?

VALAIRIAN 25-10-2021 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1258822)
Craig Linfield? I'll get me coat :hidewall:

Leave your coat AccyMad :)

Craig played right back and did it very well - for a striker :)

StanleyJosh 25-10-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1258824)

Not registered in EFL squad list…
Read into that what you will…

andyd 25-10-2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1258827)
Read into that what you will…

So that's at least two of the " senior squad " that won't feature for Stanley again, why oh why isn't the club telling us of the Sama scenario or do they think it's too trivial for us " supporters " .

Crown Grounder 25-10-2021 20:23

He was shirt number 24 in August when the numbers were announced. Where do you view our EFL Squad List?

Exile on Spencer St 25-10-2021 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
But he’s on the Fishy site as a “First Team Player”?

StanleyJosh 25-10-2021 20:34

not much to “tell’ re; Sama situation. some stuff has to remain private, especially when players are under contract.
EFL squad lists are submitted and published at start of every season, think you can find on the EFL site.
Yes still listed as a first team player. Can still play non EFL games. Don’t read too much into the players listings on website.

Inspector Morse 25-10-2021 20:36

Who is Stephen Sama?

StanleyJosh 25-10-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1258809)
If all players were fit, committed and available my set up would be:

Savin
Rogers Sykes Nottingham Amankwah
Hamilton Pell Coneelly Pritchard
Bishop Charles.

Of course anyone can tell me who is not fit to play physically or other!
So read my first line again please.

Savin
Rodgers Notts Sykes Sherring
Conneely Butcher
Pritchard Pell McConville
Bishop

Trafford, Amankwah, Leigh, Morgan, Hamilton, O’Sullivan, Mansell.

That would be my line up if everyone fit. Excluding Dion for obvious reasons.

andyd 25-10-2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1258831)
not much to “tell’ re; Sama situation. some stuff has to remain private, especially when players are under contract.
EFL squad lists are submitted and published at start of every season, think you can find on the EFL site.
Yes still listed as a first team player. Can still play non EFL games. Don’t read too much into the players listings on website.

Signed 04/09/2020 for 2 years so should image he is still picking up a wage agree some things should remain private but club could still tell fans he isn't eligible to play for whatever reason otherwise it creates suspicious imagination,s.

AccyMad 25-10-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1258826)
Leave your coat AccyMad :)

Craig played right back and did it very well - for a striker :)

Yeah, that's what I meant - right back, or as I like to call it "the other left" :)

choirboy 26-10-2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1258831)

Team for next match in FA Cup:
Sama
Sama Sama Sama Sama
Sama Sama Sama Sama
Sama……..Charles!:eek:

Exile on Spencer St 26-10-2021 10:02

[QUOTE=StanleyJosh;1258827]Not registered in EFL squad list…
Read into that what you will…[/QUOTE

So he was on last season’s EFL squad list for Stanley, but is not for this season.
Dodgy paper work somewhere?

StanleyJosh 26-10-2021 13:16

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1258838]
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1258827)
Read into that what you will…[/QUOTE

So he was on last season’s EFL squad list for Stanley, but is not for this season.
Dodgy paper work somewhere?

No.

Exile on Spencer St 26-10-2021 17:40

This thread is turning into something more intriguing than an Inspector Morse episode.;)