Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Cheltenham Match Thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/cheltenham-match-thread-72652.html)

Chimer 02-04-2022 11:14

Cheltenham Match Thread

Nothing to say, but to save KJ from the wrath of Di …… 😀

Div3North 02-04-2022 11:46

Re: Cheltenham Match Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1265551)
Nothing to say, but to save KJ from the wrath of Di …… 😀

Selfless, I call that …..

Between thee and moi, I’m a tad worried that I got as many or more likes for NOT doing the thread opener this week as I usually get for doing a good opener

Be interesting to see how the troops do with their predictions without the dubious benefit of my crafted and researched guidance as well ….

:theband::theband::theband:

Crown Grounder 02-04-2022 12:10

Setting off to the ground in about 20 minutes:

Note to KJ: Please, Please use this thread........

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 13:45

Well, I'm here...daylight saving , overworking and mental blokages re alarm clocks have conspired against me and ,despite going to bed at 10ish, have been unable to sleep so I'm here at my keyboard preping for a Stanley win and somewhat relieved to find a match thread up and running...but ,alas, it may be to no avail, coz my other developing Stanley curse is betting on them...haven't had any success when I do so, and I have had ago today/(night)...SORRY...

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 14:36

*(^&^$%$#^&%*&^*^$%@#%^#&&^*^$#^$&. :(

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 14:55

Magnificent finish to first half. Keep it going guys.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 15:16

Tommy Leigh-2 for him,3 for us.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 15:33

Now they score-not very nice.:(

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 15:55

4-2 now...thats gotta make it safe.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 15:57

EEEEEEEKK !! 4-3..Blow your f***in whistle.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 15:59

Now a feckin red card!!! Bloody stupid ref.

Taypot 02-04-2022 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1265574)

You spoke too soon! All your fault.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 16:02

Blow it u prick.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 16:03

Awwww. Ffs. Feckin mad right here.

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 16:06

I will put $$$ on it that the ref is a complete dickhead. Sadly, our young keeper won't be full of confidence. Grumpy Sunday.

Chimer 02-04-2022 16:10

Well I tried … :-(

Kiwi John 02-04-2022 16:17

...Enter Cashy

andyd 02-04-2022 16:37

Shocking defending Sykes at fault for 1st goal gets himself a silly yellow for running away with the ball should have been subbed then you could see the second yellow coming 2 points thrown away didn't manage the ticking down of the clock. Still not mathematicaly safe but sure as well are.

Christies Child 02-04-2022 16:42

I've got a lot of time for Coley for what he did for my lads and what he has done for your club BUT listening to yet ANOTHER extended interview with Radio Lancashire post match he complains constantly about how things go against his team time after time after time.

It's now so familiar that it's become boring to listen to and whilst I sympathize with him he comes across as a someone who is a constant moaner. Such a shame.....

cashman 02-04-2022 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1265574)

aye we thought that but ross was stupid we thought. that probably cost the match? he needs to use his head a bit more its spoiing him as a player i think.

Exile on Spencer St 02-04-2022 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christies Child (Post 1265590)
It's now so familiar that it's become boring to listen to and whilst I sympathize with him he comes across as a someone who is a constant moaner. Such a shame.....

I suspect Coleman would agree with you that moaning about the standard of officiating is boring, but just to give one example from today of what goes on regularly at The Wham….
The BBC web site notes “Jimmy Bell was yellow carded in the 35th minute for protesting against an offside decision”. And Cheltenham we’re then allowed to take the resulting free kick five yards inside Stanley’s half. Go figure.
However, that’s no excuse for Stanley clutching what felt like a defeat from the jaws of victory. From the score line, no-one would think that this was such a mundane match of little flowing football, plenty of high ball antics, lots of pushing, shoving and infantile behaviour.
Taking off the Stanley’s two-goal Man of the Match just about summed up a pretty chaotic performance.

cashman 02-04-2022 17:46

there is a reason for this sort of thing, super john should answer why i think. that is if he DARE.

Lord Stiffupperlip 02-04-2022 19:43

After suffering weeks from a goal drought, today produced a rare & welcome glut.
Unfortunately, despite what appeared a comfortable lead, Stanley proved their L1 reputation as the gift that keeps on giving.
After adopting our favourite method of defence, panic & hoof it anywhere, all Cheltenham had to do was keep the ball on the deck & pass their way to a remarkable comeback. Can we really complain?
Judging by some of the glaring positional errors & impulsive decisions - all too often wrong; young Savin looked nervous & lacking confidence.
Tommy Leigh on the other hand was outstanding. On today's performance I doubt he'll be wearing red next season.
Perhaps we could use the money to buy back Chappers when those dirty Gills get relegated.

VALAIRIAN 02-04-2022 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1265582)
I will put $$$ on it that the ref is a complete dickhead. Sadly, our young keeper won't be full of confidence. Grumpy Sunday.

I wish he was useless K.J! that would have been a massive improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

VALAIRIAN 02-04-2022 20:12

Quote:

I've got a lot of time for Coley for what he did for my lads and what he has done for your club BUT listening to yet ANOTHER extended interview with Radio Lancashire post match he complains constantly about how things go against his team time after time after time.

Come and watch us next season and then we shall see!?!?!?

VALAIRIAN 02-04-2022 20:31

What about the 'added time' fiasco??????

:(

monkey hanger 03-04-2022 08:39

Quote:

sounding more and more like jim bentley used to do when he was at morecambe.

monkey hanger 03-04-2022 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1265588)
Shocking defending Sykes at fault for 1st goal gets himself a silly yellow for running away with the ball should have been subbed then you could see the second yellow coming 2 points thrown away didn't manage the ticking down of the clock. Still not mathematicaly safe but sure as well are.

just wonder if stanleys discipline record may be down to coleys attitudes nowadays. sounds increasingly down this season with the whole football world against him and his club. really hate saying this as i love and respect the guy, but he is not getting any younger and does he want anymore hassle out of the game. is this a good time to look at his future as he has took stanley as far as he can and the future does not look too great. it wasn,t the same without coley in charge but some time in the future it has to happen again. been thinking this for a while now and not a knee jerk over yesterday.

Crown Grounder 03-04-2022 08:54

I think what seems to be coming out of all this is a general lack of discipline within the team and management. Perhaps the actual or perceived unfairness of the officials might be used by the manager to galvanise the team and instill a sort of seige mentality in the players........"tell them they are playing against15 every game.......11 players and 4 officials"........and to accept every decision without question or complaint.....but run faster and try harder. After all I can't remember a single occasion when the referee has changed his/her decision after a complaint by Coley or any of the players.

andyd 03-04-2022 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1265618)
I think what seems to be coming out of all this is a general lack of discipline within the team and management. Perhaps the actual or perceived unfairness of the officials might be used by the manager to galvanise the team and instill a sort of seige mentality in the players........"tell them they are playing against15 every game.......11 players and 4 officials"........and to accept every decision without question or complaint.....but run faster and try harder. After all I can't remember a single occasion when the referee has changed his/her decision after a complaint by Coley or any of the players.

They very rarely change a decision unless one of the other officials tells them they got it wrong, Jimmy Bell incensed at one such decision decided to complain in the fourth official,s ear despite being constantly warned he finally got a yellow might not be right but they have been in the game long enough to know what is coming. Has for this continuing moaning about luck and decision making is just papering over obvious defending mistakes that have cost us all season -17 says it all needs a sorting in the summer because it could become a relegation struggle next season.

VALAIRIAN 03-04-2022 09:34

All the 'moaning/complaining' is not for the decision just gone, but for the next one that might be made ;)

All the top Managers do it, just some are better than others :)

As a lower league team, it does not have the same effect, but trust me, it would be worse for us if John and Jimmy did not do it!

The officials yesterday were poor, but we did enough to win, despite them - we cannot score goals - simple as, or if you want to go from Newcastle, to Arsenal, we cannot keep clean sheets :)

:) :)

monkey hanger 03-04-2022 10:00

[QUOTE=andyd; Has for this continuing moaning about luck and decision making is just papering over obvious defending mistakes that have cost us all season -17 says it all needs a sorting in the summer because it could become a relegation struggle next season.[/QUOTE]

if you compare recent games to those at the start of the season its like watching two different sides. On the pitch the club has gone backwards and will take some really good signings that fit in to avoid a relegation struggle next season. Can coley work his magic yet again or not.

Lord Stiffupperlip 03-04-2022 10:05

You don't have to be a football genius to work out Stanley have two main issues, both at opposite ends of the field.
One is a striker who hasn't scored in open play for over 15 hours & the other is a keeper who hasn't kept a clean sheet in over 14 games.

Exile on Spencer St 03-04-2022 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1265630)
You don't have to be a football genius to work out Stanley have two main issues, both at opposite ends of the field.
One is a striker who hasn't scored in open play for over 15 hours & the other is a keeper who hasn't kept a clean sheet in over 14 games.

Thought Savin looked like a rabbit caught in the lamp light yesterday. Too often seemed to be in the wrong position, rushing out from his goal line and getting stranded. How many softly struck lobs or deflections have looped over him into the net this season?
As for a ‘striker’, Stanley don’t have one as such. Bishop is usually totally isolated up front with no-one within ten yards, other than two defenders, to pick up the many headers he wins. He has to spend most of the match with his back to the opposition goal. He can’t be expected to pluck a hoof ball from the air, then beat three defenders, and slot it home single-handedly. Billy Kee was used the same, but when he had Kayden Jackson feeding off him goals went in. Bishop made Tommy Leigh’s second goal with a deft flick, but he can’t do it all on his own.
Having two of the older players on the right and left wings means Stanley don’t often get into the space behind defences and Bishop rarely gets the chance to attack a cross when he’s facing the goal.

VALAIRIAN 03-04-2022 10:27

As it has not been mentioned on here, has anybody ever seen anything like the 'added time' fiasco yesterday???

For those not there, the 4th official put the board up for 6 mins, the scoreboard was showing 88:10.

2 seconds later, it showed 90:00 :eek: :eek:

andyd 03-04-2022 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1265635)
Thought Savin looked like a rabbit caught in the lamp light yesterday. Too often seemed to be in the wrong position, rushing out from his goal line and getting stranded. How many softly struck lobs or deflections have looped over him into the net this season?
As for a ‘striker’, Stanley don’t have one as such. Bishop is usually totally isolated up front with no-one within ten yards, other than two defenders, to pick up the many headers he wins. He has to spend most of the match with his back to the opposition goal. He can’t be expected to pluck a hoof ball from the air, then beat three defenders, and slot it home single-handedly. Billy Kee was used the same, but when he had Kayden Jackson feeding off him goals went in. Bishop made Tommy Leigh’s second goal with a deft flick, but he can’t do it all on his own.
Having two of the older players on the right and left wings means Stanley don’t often get into the space behind defences and Bishop rarely gets the chance to attack a cross when he’s facing the goal.

Savin looked like he had been watching an art of goalkeeping video by Ian Dumbavin.

choirboy 03-04-2022 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1265636)
As it has not been mentioned on here, has anybody ever seen anything like the 'added time' fiasco yesterday???

For those not there, the 4th official put the board up for 6 mins, the scoreboard was showing 88:10.

…. 6 minutes at the end of the first half and he played on for eight and a half minutes on my watch.

Mr T 05-04-2022 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1265636)

Joe;

The time on the screen was incorrect for most of the 2nd half. The ref asked for it to be turned off but the message wasn't received by the screen operators.

monkey hanger 05-04-2022 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1265651)
…. 6 minutes at the end of the first half and he played on for eight and a half minutes on my watch.

this added time business is getting stupid nowadays. every season it gets longer and longer for no reason i can see. surely we could learn from both codes of rugby to have an independant time keeper that stops the clock and restarts it till everyone actually knows how long there is to go. may mean a reduction from two halves of 45, but could take it for some form of clarity.

VALAIRIAN 05-04-2022 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1265699)
this added time business is getting stupid nowadays. every season it gets longer and longer for no reason i can see. surely we could learn from both codes of rugby to have an independant time keeper that stops the clock and restarts it till everyone actually knows how long there is to go. may mean a reduction from two halves of 45, but could take it for some form of clarity.

The added time on Saturday was OK - maybe should have had more in the second.

Agree completely with stopping the clock!!!

Each goal celebration takes over a minute these days and is getting longer...........

:) :)

VALAIRIAN 05-04-2022 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 1265691)
Joe;

The time on the screen was incorrect for most of the 2nd half. The ref asked for it to be turned off but the message wasn't received by the screen operators.

Thanks for the clarity Mark :)

How does that happen and why do things like this and Kettle and not having a liner and the referee losing the pea from his whistle and offside free-kicks in your own half and so on and so on, only happen to Stanley?!?!?!?

On another note, not buying Coley's comments on the pre Wigan interview....

:) :) :)

Exile on Spencer St 05-04-2022 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1265699)
"…surely we could learn from both codes of rugby to have an independant time keeper that stops the clock and restarts it till everyone actually knows how long there is to go...

Have long thought this, MH.
But, if the clock stopped every time the ball was dead, could players survive the rigours of 90, or even 80, minutes of “non-stop “ action.
Also, it works in rugby because, as far as injuries are concerned, rugby players appear more honest than footballers, don’t go down unless they are seriously injured, and (importantly) can be treated on field whilst the game carries on.
If there was a stop-watcher at football, what’s to prevent players taking even longer to get up, or to take a throw in? Or demanding a visit from the physio if their hair-do gets ruffled.
Could end up like American football where a one hour game takes three+ hours to watch.

monkey hanger 05-04-2022 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1265707)
If there was a stop-watcher at football, what’s to prevent players taking even longer to get up, or to take a throw in? Or demanding a visit from the physio if their hair-do gets ruffled.
Could end up like American football where a one hour game takes three+ hours to watch.

yes, that hour is about the length of time the ball is in play in games. they could experiment in one of the lower non league divisions to see how two 30 minute halfs with a time keeper worked in practise. now you could nip out for a pee by the time a free kick is given and eventually taken with the three lined up to take it with different hands in the air for the ball to go straight out of play or to the head of the first defender. just wonder if that was organised on the training pitch.

VALAIRIAN 05-04-2022 11:41

On the radio the other week, studies show that it is around 55 mins per game that the ball is in play :(

Getting less and less each season, with the exception of the COVID (without fans) season......

How many of us would accept 2/3rds of a pint in a pub, or 2/3rds of a pie at half time???