Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Photo Competition 1 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/photo-competition-1-a-20242.html)

K.S.H 14-03-2006 19:14

Photo Competition 1

1st lets just confirm the rules:
Each competition will run for 4 weeks, 3 weeks for uploading pictures and 1 week for final votes.
THIS is the link to the competition pages
During the 3 week uploading time you will be able to vote and there will be an option to cancel your vote if you feel a better picture has been submitted.
After the 3 week upload period, voting only will be allowed for 1 week then voting will be stopped.
Closing date for entry is 4th April, voting will close on the 11th April
Anyone can vote, you don't have to enter the competition to be entitled to a vote but it is 1 vote per person

The winner will get to choose a theme for the next competition ( You won't need to do anything else, the moderators will create the folder to be uploaded too)

In the event of a tie the person who chose the theme will decide on the winner

2 entrys are allowed per person (this could change, we'll see how it goes 1st) Any more than this will be removed, your 1st 2 uploads will stay - later ones will be removed

All images must be your own work, scanned, digital, phone, video stills are all allowed, please dont use images off the web or from mags as we dont want Accyweb getting into trouble for hosting copyright images. You will retain copyright of all your images.
Photo's altered with image editing software will be allowed

Glad that bits over with :)

This months theme will be

REDAnything you like relating to the colour red, I kept it simple for the 1st one, a lot of things spring to mind, let's see what you all come up with.

Post Your Images Here

For those who are not too sure about how to upload their pics
1. Press the link above
2. Make sure it has "Competition #1 in the drop down list"
3. Press the "Browse" button and select your image
4. Enter a title and description if required
5. Press "Upoad/submit" near the bottom of the page

Link to Competition gallery

Good luck

entwisi 14-03-2006 20:01

Re: Photo Competition 1

Ooooo, I've a few I've already taken that fall nicely into that section

I 's a definate, the second is a possible

K.S.H 14-03-2006 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
Ooooo, I've a few I've already taken that fall nicely into that section

I 's a definate, the second is a possible

I thought that but I can't find them :confused: Found one so I'm gonna put that up and i'll take one specially for the comp later in the week.

Just a thought Len, if we change our mind can we delete the photo's and upload another?

K.S.H 14-03-2006 20:37

Mines in but the software doesn't half change the colours, see the image below, its the image opened in editing software and same image in browser from Accyweb

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...g?d=1142371744

entwisi 14-03-2006 20:37

yeh, I plan on taking something specially later on. The other was a must as soon as I saw teh subject!

Len 14-03-2006 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H
Just a thought Len, if we change our mind can we delete the photo's and upload another?

I’m afraid not, well not at the moe and to be honest I can’t see that option being added. If everyone were to start remove photos willie nillie it could create chaos in the gallery .i.e comment/posts looking silly etc.

Photos added to the member’s Galleries, personal Albums can be removed and changed by the members at any time.

If someone makes a mistake uploading or is not happy about an uploaded photo then they should contact a mod and then it will be looked into.

I think in this case if one makes a mistake then they get no votes. Hehe

Perhaps we could increase the number of entries per member? This would also make the album more interesting to view.

Anyhow I’ve got my first one in so get voting. :)

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2006 20:54

Can the pic be one that was taken in the past or do the photo's have to be taken in the month that the competition runs?........don't know if that is a daft question.

K.S.H 14-03-2006 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Can the pic be one that was taken in the past or do the photo's have to be taken in the month that the competition runs?........don't know if that is a daft question.

Well me and Entwisi have cheated if you can't :)

Post any as long as there your own

K.S.H 14-03-2006 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I think in this case if one makes a mistake then they get no votes. Hehe

:)

Just a thought, I wasn't too happy about the colour of mine, it changed so much when I uploaded it, i'll submit them a bit brighter next time:)

entwisi 14-03-2006 21:00

Not cheated, just used something I took before.

As long as its your own work I see no reason not to use something you took 1 week, or 10 years ago

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2006 21:00

Thanks for that info K.S.H. and also for the instructions on how to post pics to the competition......I'm just going to have a look at what I've got and will be post a pic soon.

K.S.H 14-03-2006 21:02

Quote:

Not cheated, just used something I took before.

As long as its your own work I see no reason not to use something you took 1 week, or 10 years ago

No, I dont see anything wrong with that either

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2006 21:14

Well.....I've gone and done it now!

K.S.H 14-03-2006 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Well.....I've gone and done it now!

It would certainly have been red if you took the pic 500 yards further down the street:cool:

Len 14-03-2006 21:46

I’ve just been told that you can actually edit the photo or should I say replace it.
Look under your image and you will be able to see “edit photo” from there you can replace that image with another by browsing. I have this option but I didn’t think anyone else had. hehe

harwood red 14-03-2006 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I’ve just been told that you can actually edit the photo or should I say replace it.
Look under your image and you will be able to see “edit photo” from there you can replace that image with another by browsing. I have this option but I didn’t think anyone else had. hehe

The prob with that though is if someone votes for one pic then it is replaced with another!! Or is it a case of once the voting starts you can't change it??

junetta 15-03-2006 00:58

I've been really looking forward to this for days but it all seems to be getting rather complicated. I was hoping to take a good pic, post it and hope for the best, now I have to wander about galleries, choose more than one, worry about voting...............it's a really good idea and I'm excited about the whole thing but please make it simple.
Good subject too.
Well, I'll cart on and hope you all help me with the finer details
June x

K.S.H 15-03-2006 04:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta
I've been really looking forward to this for days but it all seems to be getting rather complicated. I was hoping to take a good pic, post it and hope for the best, now I have to wander about galleries, choose more than one, worry about voting...............it's a really good idea and I'm excited about the whole thing but please make it simple.
Good subject too.
Well, I'll cart on and hope you all help me with the finer details
June x

Nah its not complicated, you'll get the hang of it, just follow my instructions above, just post here if you need any help.
Look forward to seeing your entry

Quote:

Originally Posted by len

Yeah I just got a pm about it too and tried it, it does work

Mick 15-03-2006 06:13

Re: Photo Competition

i thought the subject was RED ?
Fountain red??

WillowTheWhisp 15-03-2006 12:17

This may be already covered elsewhere but I'll ask again cos I probably missed it.

Does it have to be a photo taken epecially for the competition or can it be one taken a couple of weeks earlier?

Mick 15-03-2006 12:26

yes willow it has been asked before and you can use a pic that is 10 years old as long as its your work ok

WillowTheWhisp 15-03-2006 12:27

I've been trying to work that one out too! :D

WillowTheWhisp 15-03-2006 12:28

OOh rightio. I've got one I'll go and have a look at. Might be good enough.

entwisi 15-03-2006 12:55

There is a comment to teh picture that explains it!!!

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2006 16:21

Yes.....I know K.S.H........that is why I chose to take the fountain. It was about the only salubrious thing about the place. I really had my eyes opened.

Len.....we got the Sydney Explorer bus and decided to get off and have a look around Kings Cross......my mother(who was about 70 at the time) stayed in a hotel in Kings Cross......but she said she enjoyed seeing all the sights(!).......I'm not really sure WHAT sights she saw.....but she enjoyed it.

staggeringman 15-03-2006 16:29

so whats the subject? red or parrots?:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2006 16:29

I could have told you that I was undertaking research on Sex and Gender issues for my thesis.......but it would have been a lie! :)

Mick 15-03-2006 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggeringman
so whats the subject? red or parrots?:rolleyes:

RED ,STAGGERS

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2006 16:37

The fountain is in Kings Cross in Sydney......this is a very well known 'Red light' district.......that is the connection to RED......not immediately obvious I know, but then I have never gone for the obvious.

staggeringman 15-03-2006 17:19

finally found one ! same idea as you at first entwisi............lol

garinda 16-03-2006 12:16

I hope as was mentioned we can re vote.

I got carried away and placed my vote, not thinking that there will probably be more photos to choose from before it's closed.:(

Len 16-03-2006 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I hope as was mentioned we can re vote.

I got carried away and placed my vote, not thinking that there will probably be more photos to choose from before it's closed.:(

You can change your vote as many times as you like up until the closing date. After that the voting option will be removed.

Let me know if you have any problems as this is new and we are still learning. :)

Len 16-03-2006 13:32

Ok I’ve had a re think and I have decided with a little persuasion to put the contest gallery back on the Gallery index/Homepae. I have also renamed the category to “Fun Albums” you’ll find the competition albums in there. I hope this pleases every one.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery/index.php

Madhatter 16-03-2006 15:00

That dandelion fountain is like the one in Nuneaton in Warwickshire.

K.S.H 16-03-2006 21:01

Just added the dates for the competition
Closing date for entry is 4th April, voting will close on the 11th April

simon 16-03-2006 22:56

Just had a peek :)

For Photographic quality K.S.H (so far), But mummiboo's pier shot is very interesting, and willows phone box is really interesting too,

Which to vote for ????

garinda 16-03-2006 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
You can change your vote as many times as you like up until the closing date. After that the voting option will be removed.

Let me know if you have any problems as this is new and we are still learning. :)

Cheers Len.

Sorry Willow I've removed my vote.......but will vote for your phone box again unless it's usurped.:p

MUMMIBOO 17-03-2006 09:13

I have looked and looked but i just can't decide....(how hard can it be?)

entwisi 17-03-2006 10:29

Vote for me!!!!!

Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on,

(Annoying psuedo irish joke as its paddys day!)

MUMMIBOO 17-03-2006 11:01

Quote:

Vote for me!!!!!

Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on,

(Annoying psuedo irish joke as its paddys day!)

I might do it for a bribe!!:p

K.S.H 19-03-2006 16:31

17 entry's so far, could do with a few more uploading :-)

entwisi 19-03-2006 16:40

I still need to take something, Batteries were charged yesterday :)

John_Timmins 19-03-2006 18:59

There we go...stanley vs canvey island way back when we werent favourites to win the league!

Len 20-03-2006 17:10

I don’t know if it’s me KSH but I get the impression that one or two are not following the rules of the comp. Hmm

You are, at the moment only allowed to have two entries per competition and the images are meant to be of your own work, not copied from someone else, we can all do that. :(

katex 20-03-2006 17:32

Aren't they all lovely. Just hope no-one votes 'cause the subject is close to their hearts ~~~ like the Accy Stan one for example. !! Unless, of course, you think it is the best piccy.

shillelagh 21-03-2006 00:36

Entwisi why didnt you take your camera with you tonite? Red balls arent there when you playing pool?

K.S.H 21-03-2006 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I don’t know if it’s me KSH but I get the impression that one or two are not following the rules of the comp. Hmm

You are, at the moment only allowed to have two entries per competition and the images are meant to be of your own work, not copied from someone else, we can all do that. :(

You have the powers that be Len, if theres ant that are obviously copied delete them, yeah it is 2 per person at the min, as mentioned before we could change this, just testing with the 1st month to see what happens. PM sent to the person who has uploaded 4

Mick 21-03-2006 06:54

AS len is not around i have deleted the pics from the comp that were copys and not there own work. hope you dont mind len

K.S.H 21-03-2006 07:00

Thanks, the only sure way is to get people to upload the image with the exif info but this would stop people entering who use scanned images or digital images from phones. plus people could take a photo of a photo to get the exif info so a bit pointless really

harwood red 23-03-2006 22:46

just bringing this back to the top of new posts/todays posts as the voting seems to have gone very very quiet :cool:

garinda 23-03-2006 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red
just bringing this back to the top of new posts/todays posts as the voting seems to have gone very very quiet :cool:

Now you've entered my lips, so to speak, I'm sure there'll be a voting frenzy.:eek:

junetta 23-03-2006 23:23

Well, I think I've made my decision, but, I thought I would hold on until the last pics are in. Happen, everyone else is doing the same thing.

garinda 23-03-2006 23:27

Yeah I am too.

I did get carried away and cast my vote, but it seemed a bit premature as there are some more entries now.

Len 23-03-2006 23:45

Sadly I’ve been very busy having to do other things the last few days. My pc has not been well.
As for uploading copies into the comp, it’s a bit difficult to tell whose cheating or not, even now there are one or two suspects. hehe.

I suppose it might be an idea if everyone also submitted a title and a brief description about their photos, things like when and where etc. other wise their images may be made void or even deleted.
Adding a description can be done while uploading I think or by editing the image after uploading.

we don’t really want to start deleting images from the albums as it may offended especially if we had got it wrong, apart from the obvious ones of coarse and it could deter folk from entering again.

What say?

garinda 23-03-2006 23:51

I didn't cheat:)

Mine are scanned after rooting under the spare bed, lol.

harwood red 23-03-2006 23:55

and you def know mine isn't a cheat!!!!!!!

junetta 24-03-2006 00:15

Best I put a description here then as I'll really be thrown by trying to edit. Image caught on Saturday afternoon in my apartment by my really ancient Sony Digital Camera. It took around twenty shots trying to get the lighting right and at the end of the day I had two to choose from.

Hope I got it right.

June x

MUMMIBOO 24-03-2006 09:38

ive not cheated!! in fact i think mine are still on the camera!! and you can see the date i took them. lol

Len 24-03-2006 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta
Best I put a description here then as I'll really be thrown by trying to edit. Image caught on Saturday afternoon in my apartment by my really ancient Sony Digital Camera. It took around twenty shots trying to get the lighting right and at the end of the day I had two to choose from.

Hope I got it right.

June x

I’ve added it for you. Hehe
Just click the “edit photo” link under your photo, you can add a description or a title to that image and then just save changes, its easy really, have a look and give it a try.

Its funny...... you’ve only to suggest that there may be one or two suspected cheats and everyone goes on the defensive, just imagine if we were to have deleted them, oh golly.
:D

John_Timmins 24-03-2006 16:12

ive nopt cheated i took both pics myself and before anyone asks they are not kipax's so there!

;)

shillelagh 24-03-2006 17:09

Mine was took in my garden last year with my mobile phone.

Margaret Pilkington 24-03-2006 17:34

I haven't cheated either......all my own work......and submitted two pics with descriptions.

Len 24-03-2006 18:25

No..... I think it's KSH. :D

K.S.H 24-03-2006 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
No..... I think it's KSH. :D

LOL, just reading down this thread and thinking - when I have finished reading this I will post to say mine aren't fake as I seem about the only one who hasn't, then come to the last post and what do I get - "No..... I think it's KSH." :)
Well to put things straight, they are both my own work, one is still on the camera and the other is on the pc with all the exif data there for all to see - just ask if you want to see it :) :) :)

entwisi 24-03-2006 19:46

I haven't said owt about mine either but as youy can see from the exif its mine!

Not that I would want to cast any asperations because I don't but lets be honest I could put any picture from anywhere on my camera. One thing that would puzzle me was if there was a picture was on my camera that didn't have any exif info in it. Now that would be strange and would certainly suggest that it wasn't taken on it(unless it was still in raw mode).

I would like to say though that like when I play pool and I accidentally catch a ball, I tell teh ref if they haven't seen it. I would rather lose honestly than win by cheating. If someone wishes to 'win' this minor competition, which was put together just for a laugh and a reason for us to get our cameras going, by cheating then good luck to them. I know conscience is something some aren't born with, I just know I am happy to live with mine.

junetta 24-03-2006 21:02

I have really enjoyed this competition and agree that it is just for fun for everyone. I'm sure that we can all see the fakes and can choose not to vote for them.

I would hate for it to be cancelled because of 'naughty folks'. Lets just cart on and trust each other!

Hopefully, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a subject for my next pic!!

Len 25-03-2006 00:10

Well........ if it’s time to come clean then I can also honestly say that my pictures are of my own, I know you wouldnt think so but it's true you can ask nette and I still have bagpuss here. hehe
:bootyshak

Anyone else? :D

:rofl38:

staggeringman 25-03-2006 00:11

come on all you bull****ers, take them piccies off! :D simple really.just tell em! can we shorten the last posting of piccies,its a bit long we could do 2 a month:) and keep it exciting, sat around waiting for them all to put there entries in is getting boring:rolleyes: people can see what we are trying to do so scrub the spuds and lets do it!:D YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT! simplicity easy as pie!

K.S.H 25-03-2006 11:09

I agree it is dragging on a bit, would be better if more photo's were being uploaded, we will look into this for the next one, maybe 2 week for uploads and only a couple of days for the final vote.
Any suggestions welcome
How many images would you like to see per person?
How long do you think for uploads?
How long do you think for final vote?

Len 25-03-2006 11:22

How about a limit for 5 entries per person. It would make the albums a lot more interesting to look at and if we get more folk taking part in the future we could then reduce the amount of entries at a later date.

K.S.H 25-03-2006 11:24

Good point, anyone else? any ideas?

staggeringman 26-03-2006 04:34

stick to two photos and and make it 2 weeks for the voting! then they can all get out and take there piccies and post! it doesnt take them that long to upload a piccie ?

John_Timmins 27-03-2006 15:58

maybe a week to upload a possible five pictures, then the best pics get put through to another round whereby the voting happens again taking more out ect! till then end where the best two are put up for voting! to decide the winner!

K.S.H 30-03-2006 10:40

ONLY 5 DAYS LEFT TO UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES

MUMMIBOO 30-03-2006 14:01

Just had a thought what if there is a tie situation?

K.S.H 30-03-2006 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
Just had a thought what if there is a tie situation?

Its in the rules at the top of the page, the person who chose the theme decides.
If the person who chose the theme is one of the possible winners we will have to have a re-think :)

K.S.H 01-04-2006 21:03

UPDATED RULES:
Each competition will run for 2 weeks, 12 days for uploading photo's and a further 2 days which can be used for voting only
THIS is the link to the competition pages
During the 12 days uploading time you will be able to vote and there will be an option to cancel your vote if you feel a better picture has been submitted.
After the 12 day upload period, voting only will be allowed for 2 days then voting will be stopped.

Anyone can vote, you don't have to enter the competition to be entitled to a vote but it is 1 vote per person

The winner will get to choose a theme for the next competition ( You won't need to do anything else, the moderators will create the folder to be uploaded too)

In the event of a tie the person who chose the theme will decide on the winner

4 entrys are allowed per person
Any more than this will be removed, your 1st 4 uploads will stay - later ones will be removed

All images must be your own work, scanned, digital, phone, video stills are all allowed, please dont use images off the web or from mags as we dont want Accyweb getting into trouble for hosting copyright images. You will retain copyright of all your images.
Photo's altered with image editing software will be allowed

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Closing date for this competition is 24:00 on the 4th of April and voting will be allowed up to 24:00 on the 6th of April

2 pics only in this one, 4 will be allowed on next months theme

K.S.H 05-04-2006 19:00

Sorry about that, nothing to do with the comp I got carried away with my 1000th post :)
Just to remind you that voting will finish for this comp at 24:00 tomorrow night

K.S.H 06-04-2006 19:47

voting Ends At Midnight Tonight

Len 06-04-2006 23:34

Well I have disabled the voting option now. unfortunately having disabled the voting option the album doesn’t seem to show the number of votes accumulated by each photo but it has reordered them starting with the image with the most votes and ending with the images with the least votes.

I can say that;
A Paraglider over Beachy Head.” received the most votes, with 6 votes.
"Amazon Parrot" with 4
"Red sky at night" and "Phone box with rabbit " with 3.

p.s.
If anyone can see the number of votes under the images then let us know.
cheers.

junetta 07-04-2006 01:20

Congratulations to Margaret!! A nice pic and a good win xx

Just to let you know Len, I can see the votes under the photos.

K.S.H 07-04-2006 04:43

Congrats margaret, best I can offer for a prize is Karma, sure more will do the same :)
Yeah the votes still show Len, can you create a new album for comp 2

mez 07-04-2006 09:18

congratulations margaret... well done .

harwood red 07-04-2006 11:21

Well done Marg, deserved winner, have also sent some karma xxx

garinda 07-04-2006 11:22

Congratulations Marg.:)

Len 07-04-2006 12:29

Thanks everyone for letting me know that you can still see the voting result, that’s a good do. It’s just that when I viewed them as a regular user I couldn’t see them.
Cheers. :)

Ok. The album is up and running, so starts doing your bit.
Good luck.

entwisi 07-04-2006 12:43

Well done Margaret!

joobyjooby 07-04-2006 13:03

Well done Margaret :)

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2006 13:43

Thank you for your congratulations and for the gifts of Karma.......I've come over all unnecessary now:o !

mantrabooks 09-04-2006 14:24

I know its late but my van is so beautiful I thought I would post it anyway

I will post this pic on the new com....

K.S.H 09-04-2006 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrabooks
I know its late but my van is so beautiful I thought I would post it anyway
I see you posted the pic in the gallery but you haven't put it in the photo competition 2 album, it needs to be in there to be entered into the comp

I will post this pic on the new com....

Just a tip, if you post pics of cars always hide the number plate for security - criminals can use this to their advantage, they pinch a car exactly the same as yours and put "your number" on it and it doesn't look suspicious to the police as they are looking for the same kind of van but with a different number! plus you could get hit with parking and speeding tickets

entwisi 09-04-2006 16:55

TBH its not worth the bother KSH. If someone is going to clone your car then they will. I really can't see a thief seeing a picture of a car and thinking 'Oh, I'll forget about nicking a nice shiny merc, I'll get a red Citroen van instead.

They will naturally nick whatever car they cam and then watch for a similar car to clone. Most of teh time they don't even bother trying to match them. There was a case with the london congestion charge where a farmer received demands for 100 unpaid congestion charges. He responded that his combine harvester with that reg had never been outside scotland! :)